Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 and Stratus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 and Stratus
    Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

Unfortunately not-- the IFDs are certified devices (I can't remember the exact TSO, maybe 190b?) which means they can only accept ADS-B In data from other certified devices.

That's not entirely true. The ADS-B (and traffic) data doesn't need to come from certified devices, just hard-wired ones today. I know of one portable device that can supply such data via RS232 to the IFD (minor alteration).

I'm not aware that the TSO even prevents accepting the data from wifi devices either. It certainly would be nice if the IFD could accept it over wifi.

Edited by chflyer - 09 Nov 2019 at 1:55pm
Vince
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:47am
Originally posted by XPRSAV8R XPRSAV8R wrote:

I won’t argue that since the Stratus is an open, unencrypted network. Now if the Stratus could join the IFD550, then that’s a different matter since the IFD550 does support WPA2 Cipher encryption. Even then, brute force attack can crack WPA2 also using a phone. 

Neither are plausible since this is in-air activity and WiFi is limited ~50m unobstructed LoS. 

If the concern is wireless, then this can be enabled over serial ports — especially when the IFD has 5 and may possibly support the protocol (needs confirmation). 
I think the concern would be more that the IFD is a certified device and so the data it presents is supposed to be "trustworthy".  Allowing uncertified ADSB devices to feed it data breaks that certified/"trustworthy" bubble.
XPRSAV8R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XPRSAV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 10:44am
Not suggesting that I have the answers either. I share your passion and appreciate your insight. As pilots, we want better equipment and better inoperability -- providing situational awareness, aviation safety and flying freedom.

Just suggesting that outside the box thinking is what creates opportunities and either evolves or revolutionises the market. Failure to innovate leads to stagnation and ultimately demise. (Crossing the Chasm by JB Linowes) For instance, look at Garmin's forced entry into experimental equipment (e.g. G3X) and evolving these products into certified gear. This was driven by visionary thinking Dynon. Or look at their market consolidation attempts with the GNX375 (GPS, ADS-B, XPDR). I'm sure was driven by threats like Lynx.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by XPRSAV8R XPRSAV8R wrote:

Not sure that's true. Take a look at this thread: http://forums.avidyne.com/dynon-serial-streams_topic1654.html.

Implies that Avidyne is open to furthering co-op between certified and non-certified equipment. Also, there is no requirement for ADS-B in. In fact, wouldn't this qualify under NORSEE? Anything that promotes situational awareness and aviation safety is good for all of us (i.e.iPads as good as they are, can be distractions from primary flight instruments)

I didn't see anything in that thread that changes my understanding-- Dynon makes certified gear so it would be natural for Avidyne to talk to them. The OP in that thread was specifically asking about Avidyne's plans to interface with Dynon's certified equipment. (And boy howdy, I wish they would do so quickly!)

If you read the actual NORSEE policy letter, they talk about the requirements to have a device included under NORSEE. So Avidyne could, if they wanted, ask that the IFD + XYZ combo (where XYZ is a Stratus, or whatever) be granted NORSEE status, but the manufacturer has to ask and approved. 

Until then, though, I stand by my statement: if you read this FAA FAQ, they make it clear that displaying ADS-B In on a certified panel-mount device requires that the ADS-B In receiver meet TSO C166b or TSO C154c, and the display has to meet TSO C195b. It's that last part that is the problem-- it looks like C195b says you can't display ADS-B In data that doesn't come from a TSO'd receiver.

With all that said, what the hell do I know; I'm just some guy on the Internet. I would super love it if my interpretation was wrong and I could use an inexpensive dual-band portable to feed ADS-B In to my IFD.
XPRSAV8R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XPRSAV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:27pm
I won’t argue that since the Stratus is an open, unencrypted network. Now if the Stratus could join the IFD550, then that’s a different matter since the IFD550 does support WPA2 Cipher encryption. Even then, brute force attack can crack WPA2 also using a phone. 

Neither are plausible since this is in-air activity and WiFi is limited ~50m unobstructed LoS. 

If the concern is wireless, then this can be enabled over serial ports — especially when the IFD has 5 and may possibly support the protocol (needs confirmation). 
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:24pm
I don't know beans about any of this stuff, but I'd bet that there are certification constraints about consuming wi-fi inputs willy-nilly due to system security/integrity (i.e., "hacking" or other malicious action) concerns.
XPRSAV8R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XPRSAV8R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:38pm
Not sure that's true. Take a look at this thread: http://forums.avidyne.com/dynon-serial-streams_topic1654.html.

Implies that Avidyne is open to furthering co-op between certified and non-certified equipment. Also, there is no requirement for ADS-B in. In fact, wouldn't this qualify under NORSEE? Anything that promotes situational awareness and aviation safety is good for all of us (i.e.iPads as good as they are, can be distractions from primary flight instruments)
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:10am
Unfortunately not-- the IFDs are certified devices (I can't remember the exact TSO, maybe 190b?) which means they can only accept ADS-B In data from other certified devices.
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 7:50pm
Is it possible to push ADS-B info (traffic and metar) from a Stratus 3 to the 540 wirelessly?  Stratus 3 has GDL-90 open ADS-B capability.

I would guess if it could, the Flt Plan upload capability from the iPad to the IFD would be lost unless they could all play nice on the same network.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic