Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne Blog > A Message from Patrick Herguth, COO of Avidyne
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Being Prepared for the Unexpected

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pherguth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Being Prepared for the Unexpected
    Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 10:41pm

Happy New Year and best wishes for 2012!

I wanted to try and pick back up with this blog and the first topic is how safety is a dominant topic within Avidyne.  Our goal is to improve the safety, utility and simplicity of general aviation and I wanted to share some of the topics that we discuss internally with this broader community of active, online pilots.

As I reread my last post from April 2010 (hey, we've been really busy!) I do have some updates regarding my own flying experience and how that influences my personal opinions about flying with advanced technology.  I did get my instrument rating last year and built up about 150 hours on the G1000 on a Cessna 172/182, flew to Oshkosh as PIC in a DFC90 equipped Cirrus and recently took my first true solo cross country from Massachusetts to Iowa this past August in a Cirrus with “first generation” Entegra / STEC 55x configuration.  More recently I have been flying a Cirrus with our Entegra R9 and DFC100 equipment and to get a better appreciation for the days before glass I have been flying a PA28R where the most advanced piece of equipment in the plane is a recently installed refurbished 430W.  For fun I fly in a super decathlon so I can remember what it is like to have to look out the window for an entire flight.  My goal over the last few years has been to get some time in as many of the various configurations that pilots are flying today in order to appreciate how our customers use technology in the cockpit.

I spend a decent amount of time reading the COPA, Beech and Piper forums and I have personally benefited as a pilot by having my “head in the game” every day by reading threads across various topics.  Within Avidyne we also analyze GA accidents to try and find ways to improve the safety of the fleet.  This process has led to features such as envelope protection, straight and level and a continued focus on ease of use.  Between the forums and our internal design process it forces me to think about “what would I have done” quite often and I see other pilots engaging in those same discussions on the forums.  That prompted me to ask our team to put together a series focused on illustrating how our equipment operates in various emergency scenarios.  My intent is to get our pilots thinking about these scenarios and being prepared for them so they can effectively manage the situation.

The original Entegra system is installed on almost 4,000 aircraft and 6 years ago it was on the leading edge of avionics technology.  When we designed the Entegra R9 system we leveraged our experience with the first generation system in order to build a integrated flight display that was easier for the pilot to use, especially in an emergency situation.  The scenarios that we have put together serve two purposes:

1) no matter what system you are flying we are encouraging you to be proficient in emergency procedures specific to your avionics and aircraft,

2)  to illustrate how the technology has evolved and how this could provide some pilots with an advantage in an emergency situation.

My goal is encourage training and preparedness for emergency scenarios that could arise and to also raise awareness that the technology could be used to provide an added safety margin.

Here is a link to a scenario the team put together.

Safe flying!

TurboPA30 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 8:49am
Pat,
you are facing an emergency. Droves of stalwart IFD-540 supporters are leaving the ship. Please mobilize EVERYTHING YOU HAVE to accelerate the final shipping version. It HAS to ship in 2013 in numbers. Just read Beechtalk and you know what I mean. Even myself, who has purchased your products since years and has owned every Avidyne product except the Entegra, get impatient, mainly because the IFD540 does not have remote TXP capability. THAT would have been a far more important feature than GDL69 support. This was acceptable if it had shipped a year ago. Now, I would have expected that feature implemented.

Thank You 
Robert
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 7:43am
They are not leaving because you're late, anyone who has ever done development knows that's a difficult thing to schedule and predict, I think we all expected that.  They are leaving because of the liability waiver.  I suggest Avidyne rethink that waiver and stand behind their products both from technical and legal point of view and issue a clarification to that policy.  I for one am waiting to see what the company's response is to that before I pull the plug on my deposits and take my business to garmin.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 1:20pm
As I understand it, this only affects users that choose to subscribe to an extended warranty? Is that correct?

The trigger for the indemnification of Avidyne in an incident, is that the NTSB finds the pilot at fault. Now, it seems that the pilot would always be found as least partially at fault, but if he is then might that not provide the pilot with insurance protection?

The other tricky thing is that NTSB findings apparently are not admissible in court.

The true impact of the clause may actually be minimal, but the marketing damage has been (and will remain) huge.

In any case, I am not a lawyer.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic