Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

intial design release questions....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: intial design release questions....
    Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 8:53am
Do you plan to incorporate runway extensions in the intial release to improve situation awareness?
Time enroute with customizable messages like "switch tanks"  ?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 11:58am
Hi Tony,

1.  Maybe.  We've been considering adding this feature in for initial release but haven't made the in/out priority decision yet for that one.  We like it a lot.

2.  Yes.   If I remember correctly, there are 9 different timers/schedules/messages you can program to say anything you want and you can specify the period/duration until the next alert.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 6:03pm
  from the release 9 forum
"R9.3 TSO and the associated Cirrus and Matrix STC amendments are the top priority at Avidyne right now and are internally required before we can complete the IFD540"

can you comment on the impact to the IFD540 development and certification schedule? 
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 8:15pm
Gladly.

There is no known  measurable impact.    The 9.3 non-SynVis content is a subset of  that in the IFD540 and those comments from the R9 forum were meant to re-assure any R9 customers that we have not taken our eye off that release ball, so to speak.   SynVis is a highly anticipated feature for the R9 owners and R9 is the same basic code base as IFD540.  R9.3 has always been ahead of the IFD540 release and it has been planned that way from the beginning of IFD540 and hasn't changed since.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 7:18am
My apologies if this question should be in another forum.

I have taken advantage of the early purchase offer and will be visiting Oshkosh this year all the way from Australia.  Will the IFD540 be on display at Oshkosh?

Thanks
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2012 at 10:41am
Yes it will.

Do you know your specific dates yet?   I can arrange to provide as in-depth an evaluation/show & tell as we can muster if you want to coordinate a date/time ahead of time.

Steve
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 5:24am
Steve,

I don't know the specific dates at this stage, but I will definitely be there and will let you know as soon as I know.  Do you prefer me to advise via this forum or private email?

BTW:  Congratulations to Avidyne and you for taking the time to answer your customer's inquiries via these forums.  This to me shows excellent customer focus and leadership in the avionics industry.  I am looking very forward to the IFD540's eventual release and install.

I just wish the DFC90 was certified for install in the Mooney M20J, but that's another story and something else to look forward to.

Keep up the good work.

Victor

Edited by Victor - 05 Feb 2012 at 5:33am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 8:14am
Thank you Victor, those are very kind words.

As a general rule, if the questions might be useful to others, the forum seems like a better choice but if it's very specific to your situation, email sounds better.

In either case, my email is sjacobson@avidyne.com

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 10:49am
Has the feature list for the 540 been frozen yet? How are the certification headaches going?

Tim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 6:05pm
Hi Tim,

I'll answer your first question with both a "yes" and a "no". To amplify that a little - first let me say that everything that can be done on a GNS530W can be done on an IFD540 at initial release except HTAWS (fixed wing TAWS is part of initial release). Everything above/beyond the 530 feature set is explicitly defined and prioritized. Since there are so many hardware and software components to the IFD540 product, something will end up being the schedule driver. We are working off that prioritized feature list while the schedule driver is being completed which means the final cut of those features above/beyond that of the 530 has not had the "pencils down" command issued yet.  Please let me know if that explanation wasn't clear enough. 

As for the cert "headaches" question, I'm sure we have more still ahead of us. As I'm sure you know, there are always surprises on that front so I can't declare victory on that one until we have the FAA approval in our hands. You can be sure we'll be broadcasting that news loudly and clearly when we have it. We're still driving to an end of 2012 final submission to the FAA. 
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 9:06pm
I am in the software field, and our company actually has products so I am very familiar with the schedule/release concept working against a priority list of features. It is nice to hear that you will have a list of future features which I expect to see in following releases (I hope only software based and all the hardware preinstalled, and does not require hardware changes).

So the next question is, does the FAA certification wait until the code is finalized, or can you be working on new features as you progress through the FAA certification? ( I have no real clue about how the FAA process works -- or doesn't).

Good luck and thanks for answering,

Tim
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 9:50pm
Perhaps a better way to ask that question:  When is your FQT scheduled and how long after that will it take for you to submitt those reults and the sas?
tspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 9:56pm
What is FQT? I know all about FISMA and DoD security protocols. Just about nothing about the FAA process and acronyms.

Tim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 9:00am
Tim, Tony,

We don't use "FQT" in our lingo but from the context, I'm assuming it means "Final Qual Test".  The typical interaction with the FAA on a program like the IFD540 cert is a long term engagement with a series of deliverables that are spread out across the life of the project.  It sounds like the ones you are asking about are the "end game" milestones and document sets.

We do expect to have some intermediate product "familiarization" interactions with the FAA during the course of the summer.  There *may* be a human factors review of the product by a group of FAA evaluators when the product is declared to be fully representative of the to-be-certified unit by us.  The final end-game milestones are the submission for TIA (Type Inspection Authorization) which is considered the final exam ground and flight tests by the FAA and all of our final compliance documentation.   Since there are literally dozens of submissions, I fear this response is too general.

It is these final compliance document submissions and TIA that we are driving for the end of 2012.  Predicting the duration between submission and FAA approval is a fools game.  We've seen turn-arounds in as short as 1 week in the past and some as long as 4 months.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
LarryPetro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 10:45pm
Will the IFD540 display lightning strikes from the TWX670 in the same manner as the MHD300, or will it display in compatability mode, or not at all?

I greatly appreciate Tom Harper's excellent presentation on the IFD540 on the 29th and am looking forward to being able to download the recorded version.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

I'll answer your first question with both a "yes" and a "no". To amplify that a little - first let me say that everything that can be done on a GNS530W can be done on an IFD540 at initial release except HTAWS (fixed wing TAWS is part of initial release). 

I can crossfill the flight plan in my GNS530W to my GPSMAP396, which is very useful for visualizing my intended route relative to the animated NEXRAD weather downloaded through the XM satellite.

Will the IFD540 crossfill its flight plan to a GPSMAP396?  If not at initial release, are there plans to provide that capability at a later date?

Thanks.
Larry Petro - Columbia 350 @ KFME
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 7:52pm
I thought I signed up to receive data concerning the IFD 540 when I bought it at Oshkosh.  So far, nothing. Did I do something wrong?

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
AKA
Bob Siegfried
Downers Grove, Illinois
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 8:45pm
Old Bob,

Ahh, I see the problem.  The extra information option was the $100,000 deposit plan.  I see you opted for the less expensive deposit plan.

But, all kidding aside, as the IFD540 Product Manager, I will take it as part of my job to ensure that happens.  I have to admit that I wasn't aware we had made additional commitments beyond what you can find here at AvidyneLive.    That being said, that's a pretty lame excuse so I'll make sure we fulfill those expectations.

In general, I like to use AvidyneLive.  I've been doing periodic updates on program progress for the DFC90 and 100 autopilots on AvidyneLive and I'll take a more proactive role on the IFD540 here too.

We should be able to supplement that with periodic email blasts to the deposit holder email list.

Thanks for the prodding, it should benefit all.

Expect an email blast shortly before Sun-n-Fun where we let our early adopters have a preview of what we'll be showing at the show for the IFD540.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 8:46pm
Larry,

Reference the displaying of data on the 396, let me check the data flow mechanisms early this week and then respond with a high confidence answer.

Steve
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 4:43pm
Larry,

Still refining the details on the 396 data display answer.  Haven't forgotten.....

Steve
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 3:58pm
Old Bob (and others),

As a test of our external comm, did you receive an email today from Avidyne titled "Avidyne Insider - Sun n Fun Preview - March 19, 2012"?

It's a quick preview of one of the features of the IFD540 we are showcasing at SnF next week - namely 2-box integration capabilities.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who thinks they are on, or would like to be on, the Avidyne Insider email list.   We don't abuse that list by pounding inboxes with excessive amounts of notes.

(and Larry, I know it's been a while since you posed your question - haven't forgotten but haven't found the time to finish a few homework assignments wrt the question)
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 9:11pm
ok, I have another question for the design team.  I see avidyne is one of the partners for the aspen connected panel interface. 
So will I be able to bring my Ipad, running foreflight, into the cockpit and down load my flight plan from my Ipad into the IFD540? Then use the IFD540 as the certified nav solution for the aircraft while monitoring how the weather (using the new stratus receiver) will impact my flight?  If there is an issue, then rubber band the flight plan on the ipad and upload the updates into the IFD540?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 7:25pm
In a nutshell, that is our intent.

In your stated scenario, there are about 6 clear moving parts and few hidden ones so one should read into that what you think is prudent but yes, we see the wireless integration of the products for that kind of an operational scenario to be the kind of capability the IFD540 will support.

As a side note, it has been very fun being part of the design team trying to create these kinds of operational scenario based integration questions and work through them.  This is shaping up to be a real leap forward in cockpit capabilities.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 5:57pm
Larry,

Yes, the IFD540 will output all the necessary data, and in the same format, to correctly display the same data on the GPSMAP 396 as a Garmin 530 does.

Out of curiosity, how do you have your 396 wired into the harness today?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 8:48pm

Out of curiosity, how do you have your 396 wired into the harness today?

I had an avionics shop route cables from the panel to a location on the yoke where the 396 is held in its cradle.  The cables are for:

1)  the 530W -> 396 Aviation In signals via the 396's power/data cable
2)  fused ship's power from the power/data cable
3)  an external GPS antenna
4)  the GXM40 XM antenna puck (mounted on the glareshield)
5)  396 audio alerts to the GMA340 audio panel

Edited by LarryPetro - 18 Apr 2012 at 8:51pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by LarryPetro LarryPetro wrote:

Will the IFD540 display lightning strikes from the TWX670 in the same manner as the MHD300, or will it display in compatability mode, or not at all?

I greatly appreciate Tom Harper's excellent presentation on the IFD540 on the 29th and am looking forward to being able to download the recorded version.

Do you have any information regarding TWX670 to IFD540 integration?

Thanks.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:27pm
Larry,

Well that's good news on the way you've got the 530 to 396 wired.  As you swap the 530 for the 540, you shouldn't see a single thing different on the 396.

The TWX670 will display lightning strikes on the IFD540 at initial release.  I'll check on a few details Thursday to compare/contrast the 540 strike display with those currently on the MHD and post an update here.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 11:10pm
Thanks for the information -- much appreciated.  Sounds like it will be a great setup with the 396 and the TWX670.

Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 7:17am

Yes it will.

Do you know your specific dates yet?   I can arrange to provide as in-depth an evaluation/show & tell as we can muster if you want to coordinate a date/time ahead of time.

Steve

Steve,

I will be at Oshkosh for the entire 10 days, so just name the time and date.

Also, is the IFD540 still on track for release toward the end of 2012?

Regards,

Victor
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 8:45am
Hi Victor,

I'll personally be at Oshkosh from Mon-Thurs.   Even if we can't connect directly, the IFD540 will be on display in several kiosks at our booth at Oshkosh so you can get an in-depth evaluation at any time of your choosing.   That being said, if you want to arrange a specific time/date for the two of us to do the box show/tell, send me a direct email at sjacobson@avidyne.com.   I do have some commitments for each day of the show but I also have plenty of open windows in each of the days I'm there.

As for availability dates, we'll be publishing an update in a few days but the short answer is that we believe we'll be done with development at the end of 2012.  It'll likely take a few months to get through the certification testing before shipment so that will push into 2013 a bit.

I expect to be posting more frequent updates of our progress on this AvidyneLive forum throughout the summer and fall.   We're now flying the unit on a regular basis and will be putting gobs of hours on the units in flight environments as we install them into more test aircraft this summer.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 12:57pm
Good Morning AviJake,

Any chance of seeing a downloadable simulator on the net that we can play with while waiting for the real thing? I learned a lot about the 530W by using Garmin's downloadable simulator <G>

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2012 at 2:57pm
Hi Old Bob,

No, afraid not, at least not for a while.   We agree that a downloadable sim will be very useful and interesting to everybody.  The development tool that we're currently using and intend to convert into a useable sim is very much an engineering tool right now, meaning it is not a user friendly tool right now and contains a lot of proprietary material.  As we get closer to the cert date, we expect to modify that as required to be something useful and distributable.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 9:06am
Steve,

Nice to meet you guys personally at Oshkosh.  Thanks for putting up with all my q's.

One I forgot to ask, is there a dedicated traffic page on the 540?  I notice an alert tab down the bottom of the 440 image and wondered whether this had any association.

Also, the brochure download link does not work.

Regards,

Victor
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 1:52pm
Hi Victor,

It was nice to meet you as well.  You must be a contender for "Longest Distance Traveled To Get To Oshkosh" this year.

As for a dedicated traffic page on the IFD540, no, there is no dedicated page.  Did you notice the full-time display of the traffic thumbnail on the left edge of the display?   That's up on every page, all the time.  I can email you an image if you want to see it.  And, in addition to that thumbnail, traffic is depicted on all non-North Up maps as well as via a Caution-Alerting System (CAS).  The Alerts tab you noticed is part of the CAS system and is always the right-most tab on any page.  That Alerts tab will be on both the IFD540 and 440.   It's a one-stop place to go to see all current/active alerts, whether or not they've been acknowledged.   That ALERT tab is also colored based on the highest active alert at the time.  In other words, it can be Red, Yellow, Cyan or no color fill.

I expect to be posting more user info and images during the fall as we get closer to cert.

Thanks for the heads up on the brochure download link.  I'll have the web/marketing guys look at that and fix it.

Steve
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 9:21pm
Steve,

The distance was absolutely worth every mile!  I had a great time and it wont be my last.

Will the traffic symbol/s change colour on the thumbnail and map as a threat becomes more imminent, such as blue to yellow?  Does the actual alerts page display all the current warnings in coloured text?  I am just trying to get an idea what is displayed on the actual page.

When will the AXP340 transponder be released?

The brochure tab is now fixed and answers a lot of my other q's.

Thanks,

Victor

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 6:52am
Yes, the traffic symbols do change color on both the thumbnail and map depending on threat level.    And yes, the alerts on the ALERTS tab are color coded and displayed in threat priority level of Red, Yellow and Cyan.

We're going to time the transponder release to be approximately the same time as the IFD540 release.

Thanks again for the heads up on the broken brochure link.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 7:56am
Is the red threat also voice annunciated?

Thanks,

Victor
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:17am
It depends.   The ability of a traffic system to annunciate is a function of the traffic system itself and whether it has an output line to the audio panel.   Most mainstream traffic systems have some aural alerting capability and the Avidyne TAS 6xx systems lead that pack by verbally annunciating clock position, relative height and distance.  We have always thought that one of the worst times to bring your head into the cockpit is during a real traffic alert.  So, instead of hearing an alarming "Traffic, Traffic!" aural alert and then having to look inside for a depiction where that traffic is, our system will tell you "Traffic, 2 o'clock level, 2 miles".

So, that being said, the IFD540/440 do not provide traffic voice alerts themselves.   If your combined traffic/audio panel provide that, then that is not inhibited by the IFD units.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:41pm
As I flew across the country and kept Com 2 tuned to guard 121.5 it occured to me this seems a waste of a significant piece of hardware. What about having a second tuner installed in the 540 dedicated to 121.5 with separate connections to use Com 3 which is available in most com panels?
In addition, why not have more than one standby frequency availble? Such as having the awos, tower and ground all queued up...

Tim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 10:48pm
Hi Tim,

We like how you think and couldn't agree more.  Consider yourself having won a "gold star" for correctly guessing one of the unannounced features of the IFD540.

Steve
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2012 at 10:44am
I had wondered about the two receivers in the IFD540.  The brochure suggests that the second one is only capable of monitoring the standby frequency.  The active/standby paradigm makes sense for old NAV/COM radios but the IFD hardware is capable of much more.

It sounds like my second COM radio will be useful only as a backup.  The receivers in the IFD540 have access to the frequency database and will be more convenient to use for things like checking an AWOS.  Very cool.

What will be the requirements for the audio panel for this?  In particular, will my existing panel work or will I need to upgrade to an AMX240 or PS7000BT?

Also, is there anything similar for NAV?  I think there would be a limitation because the IFD540 can only drive one indicator.  I suppose a good answer would be "and why would someone be following VORs if they have an IFD540?".

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 9:49am
Hi Paul,

What audio panel do you have now?  I can tailor my response based on your answer.

As for Nav radios, yes, we could do all kinds of wonderful things with the multiple nav radios inside each IFD but we're planning now on only using them as internal cross-checks and comparators since, like you said, it could be too confusing and simply overkill for a pilot in the IFD world now.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 9:17pm
Hi Steve,

The existing panel is a King KMA 26.  I may replace it for other reasons but I haven't decided yet.  Adding the IFD540 is a pretty expensive upgrade and I'd like to have enough left over to buy a tank of avgas.

I'm now curious about the COM/NAV capabilities of the unit.  Is the receiver an SDR?  Is there a block diagram available?

Can the IFD540 display the VOR direction information on the screen?

Can it calculate and display DME information?

When used with an external indicator such as the KI 209 does the IFD540 decode the VOR information and then convert it to an analog signal for the indicator?  Will the indicator have a different "feel" than it does when used with the KX155A?  Will it be less twitchy when near a VOR?

Oh, and do you mind lots of questions?

wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 9:33pm
I realize that integrating with the MLX is not in your initial design release ... however... Here in Europe it is our only option for inflight weather.

Is there anyway to move forward this item?

also... is there anymore news about the delivery?

regards

Willem
tspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2012 at 10:35am
I do not see support for the MLX770 in the IFD540 product pages.
How far down the list is this? Also, I know I have seen something but cannot find it. Will we be able to display weather, radar on the IFD540?

Tim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 8:42am
Paul,

I missed this response.  I'll respond on Tuesday, 4 Sep.

Steve
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 8:45am
Willem,

Yes, we recognize that MLX is the only viable weather offering for outside the North American area and for this product to have any real success outside the US, we need to integrate MLX into the IFD540 soon.  As you note, it is not in the initial release but it is very high on our follow-on feature list so that we can fully support the international market.

I'll start posting status updates on the IFD540 development and cert on a different thread in a few weeks.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 10:35am
Hi Tim,

We have not announced support for weather radar on the IFD540.   We agree that would be a great feature add but we're going to stay focused on getting the essentials done for this first release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tspear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tspear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 11:33am
Steve,

So the short answer is, it is high on the list for a future release. Just not going to commit how high or soon.... :-D

Tim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2012 at 11:35am
I wouldn't go that strong.  We can see how weather radar would be a great capability but we have no plans to pursue that anytime soon.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic