Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple Traffic Sources?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schildaero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple Traffic Sources?
    Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 7:36am
Having a TAS605 (without ADS-B) using the Ryan TCAD Protocol, I just wonder if the IFD would be able to accept an other traffic source i.e. using the Capstone Protocol.
As I read so far from the Installation Manual it says, that traffic receiving devices are "mutually exclusive". Does that mean that there can be only one traffic source at all, or may it just be limited to the procotol? (sorry english is not my native language, maybe that phrasology in the IM explains it already.)

Background Info:
I am flying mostly in Germany. There (and in rest of Europe) there is no GPS-Out/ABS-B mandate for small aircraft. There is only a MODE-S mandate since 2008 that requires your ID to be transmitted. And there is also no such thing as TIS-B. Looking a flightradar and others, estimated 2/3 or more of small aicraft do not have GPS-Out. So the best chance to see traffic in avionics is a TAS System. Now it comes to (powered) gliders. They usually also don't have/use a transponder while gliding. Instead they use devices from a private company using a propritary protocol called FLARM.

Now the question is, would it be possible to connect a FLARM device, propably using capstone protocol additionally to the TAS605?
If yes: these Flarm devices may also receive ADSB-Traffic, would that cause a conflict in the IFD if it receives information about one aircraft from the TAS(non ADS-B) and the FLARM (ADS-B)?

Thanks so far and happy holidays
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 2:17pm
You can connect more than one traffic device to an IFD, but the IFD will only use one of them, based on a priority scheme.   The second source will only be used if IFD detects that the primary source has failed.

Let's assume that the FLARM device transmits Capstone protocol and that both the TAS605 and the FLARM are connected to the IFD.   The TAS605 would be prioritized over the FLARM.  Therefore, the IFD wouldn't display traffic from the FLARM unless the TAS605 was failed (or powered off).
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Schildaero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schildaero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:33am
Understood, thanks for the information.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic