Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Avidyne fob (thumb drive, usb drive, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrenwhis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avidyne fob (thumb drive, usb drive, etc.
    Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 4:00pm
My Avidyne fob has unexpectedly failed, prompting an error of “not recognized” by the PC.  Where can I order a new one.  This has been a very long search of the forum and website without success.
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 5:00pm
You don’t need a special Avidyne fob. Any thumb drive 16 gb or less and formatted FAT32 wil do.

See page 6-31 of the IFD 540 Pilot Guide.

Mike

rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 6:13pm
Warren,  
this one from WalMart works well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kingston-Digital-16GB-Data-Traveler-3-0-USB-Flash-Drive-Blue-DTIG4-16GB-DTSE9H16GB-DTSE9H16GBZ-KWU1N16028A-DataTraveler-KWU4616Z028A-By/686733361
Warrenwhis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrenwhis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:19pm
thanks, there is some conflicting info that stills exists on the avidyne site.  One said you had to use their fob.  I did watch the video about formatting to FAT32.  I have done the formatting.  Another statement was made about how messed up you can get your nav/comm if you mess up.  So just an abundance of caution.  Thank you much.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 9:39pm
Here is essentially the Avidyne FOB - just change out the metal clip: 

https://www.amazon.com/Wintec-filemate-8GB-Swivel-Drive/dp/B0046TJAE8

Make sure it is formatted to FAT32 before using.
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 12:40am
I just pulled the WalMart Kingston one out of the package and used it.
No additional formatting.
Bob
BoeingBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoeingBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 1:46pm
As a new IFD-440 owner I've just been through the learning curve on this too. After experimenting with sticks that were lower and higher capacity I found that only those showing 'more' than 4Gb available and less than 16 would work. In other words if you use a 4Gb drive which has anything on it the set rejects it.

I also bought two new sticks using the new file system of 'exFAT' which my Win10 computer would not allow me to change other than to NTFS. Those got rejected as not being FAT32.

It looks like the easiest way to get compatibly is use an 8Gb USB2 FAT32 freshly formatted drive.

Edited by BoeingBoy - 23 May 2021 at 1:47pm
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 11:29am

Or just buy an Avidyne fob and just use it for updates.

Edited by LANCE - 25 May 2021 at 11:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic