Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hardware needed for air data?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hardware needed for air data?
    Posted: 15 May 2021 at 1:39pm
I'm a little confused as to what additional hardware I need for the air data blocks on the 540 to work.

I recently added a G5 to replace a Sandia 340 Quattro. My HSI is a King 525A.

Is it as simple as adding a Garmin GAD 13 and an OAT temperature probe?

I'm sure this has been covered previously in the forum, but a search on the obvious keywords doesn't turn up anything.

Thanks!

Rolfe

eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:52pm
Air data information from the G5 “system” is provided via ARINC 429, which comes out of the GAD29B.
If you don’t have the GAD29B in the mix then no bueno.

Gene
Gene
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:10am
Originally posted by eallevato eallevato wrote:

Air data information from the G5 “system” is provided via ARINC 429, which comes out of the GAD29B.
If you don’t have the GAD29B in the mix then no bueno.

Gene

Okay, that still seems less expensive than a dedicated air data computer. So, would I need the GAD29B, a GAD13 and appropriate OAT probe?

Rolfe

rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:37am
Rolfe, 
this is what feeds my 540.   If you have a 3 1/2 inch panel hole available it's a good way to go.
I bought mine off ebay, and sent it to shadin for overhaul/evaluation.   If no open panel spot,
I would consider an ADC200.  You need fuel flow, OAT, and baro connections.
Bob

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293955849075?epid=22043688816&hash=item4471224b73:g:sB4AAOSwSoVgAMbf

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:42am
Originally posted by rpostmo rpostmo wrote:

Rolfe, 
this is what feeds my 540.   If you have a 3 1/2 inch panel hole available it's a good way to go.
I bought mine off ebay, and sent it to shadin for overhaul/evaluation.   If no open panel spot,
I would consider an ADC200.  You need fuel flow, OAT, and baro connections.
Bob

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293955849075?epid=22043688816&hash=item4471224b73:g:sB4AAOSwSoVgAMbf

Thanks Bob, that is very helpful!

Rolfe

rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:27pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:53pm
Bob,

What did you need in addition to the Shadin? Just an OAT probe and, for the fuel, a transducer?

Rolfe
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 3:01pm
wouldn't you need a magnetic heading input as well?
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:25pm
Rolfe,  I'm not sure about what else might be needed.
I left it all up to my avionics shop.   I have a king  KI-525a HSI and the
kcs-55a  Compass system that goes with it.  I later had a G5 AI installed.  
I have a STEC 30 ALT.  All of it works seamlessly.  If the HSI ever goes
bad, I'll replace it with either a second G5, or a GI-275.
Bob
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 7:25am
depending on the model, the KCS55 HSI can output x,y,z heading information to the IFDs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:37am
I spoke to Shadin this morning, and the ADC-200 seems like a good bet for me as I already have fuel flow with a JPI. They gave me the exact part number I need for a Bonanza along with the part number for the OAT probe. Although not a currently manufactured unit, it is still fully supported.

Thanks for all the input here...

Rolfe

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic