Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Good news: SkyTrax 200 dual-band now available

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote programmer@pcmforles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 1:11am
Has anyone wired their SkyTrax 200 up to their Aspen Pro and what unlock did you need to display traffic?    The Sky Trax 200 manual says an unlock may be needed but not which one, and Aspen was not sure.    It is a Capstone format that I believe is compatible/same as the Garmin formats so I think it may require the Garmin ADSB unlock card.   
LeeMajors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeMajors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 12:38am
Does Avidyne ever do Osh specials where they sell and install on-site upgrades from 100B’s to 200’s?

Would be worth it if they’d come and hook it all up, had their laptop to double check the configuration talking with the IFD, and make sure it’s good before you leave.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 8:49am
We haven't in the past.  I don't expect that to change.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
LeeMajors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeMajors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 10:02am
Shame.  Not sure I am worried about having a next generation ADS-B product until I get mine working 100% and the biggest issue is it requiring a laptop with the software and a serial port with an old enough OS to work the interface and going through and confirming port settings and such.

Unfortunately Gardner-Lowe didn't map the avionics install with it and provide it to the previous owner and thus I don't know which wires go to where and it requires us to either guess at the settings or go pin by pin.

It's a weird thing, if I use Capstone Wx/Tfc on my MLB100 in my Duke I get weather but no traffic.  If I set it to Capstone Hi I lose Weather and Traffic.

My 540 was updated by Carpenter last year so I could have the enroute synthetic vision (and they dumped all the settings including the WiFi output) and your tech support people were kind enough to send me the file to load it back in but I'm a little leery of doing it myself and my avionics guy hasn't been available (his house flooded and he has no spare time as he rebuilds) and my buddy Thom Duncan (we went to school and used to play pool together) who is brilliant says "bring it down and leave it on the ramp and we'll get to it or I can put you on the schedule... next Spring.  :D 

He fixed my Aspen problem we were struggling with in about 15 minutes over text message.  Amazing.  Good for Thom to be so good that everyone keeps you busy but it would be nice to have someone who knows this and wants the sale to be able to say "We'll include one hour of install to R&R the units and one hour of programming hookup with purchase at regular price at Osh".  

Just smart business really.

Edited by LeeMajors - 24 May 2022 at 10:07am
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:57am
I'm confused...do you have an MLB100/SkyTrax100 or a SkyTrax100B? The upgrade/update paths to a SkyTrax200 are different depending on what you already have installed. 

BTW - I have personally seen the MLB100/SkyTrax100 as well as the SkyTrax200 updated and/or configured with Windows 10 computers using their USB ports. The MLB100/SkyTrax100 update and configuration used a Tripp Lite Keyspan High-Speed USB to serial port adapter as well as the Avidyne UAT Console program. The SkyTrax200 configuration used a USB to USB-C cable and the PuTTY serial interface program.

Edited by dmtidler - 24 May 2022 at 1:36pm
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 3:11pm
I imagine the wiring changes would make this a challenge to do.  Some of the installs had different wiring
LeeMajors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeMajors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by CubedRoot CubedRoot wrote:

I imagine the wiring changes would make this a challenge to do.  Some of the installs had different wiring
That’s why you offer it at 2 hours.  Doesn’t take long to swap the box, but if you find the wiring is going to be problematic when you pull the harness and have a look at the configuration page on the 540 or whatever it’s connected to, you’d probably know whether it could be done inside that or not.

Depends on the complexity of the install really.
LeeMajors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeMajors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 1:48pm
Hello all, back from Osh and man was that AWESOME!!  Had a great time.

Back on this since I had to use my iPad for traffic and not the 540 due to I think the SkyTrax 100 configuration.

To the point of this discussion I have an opportunity to buy a SkyTrax100B from a local buddy who pulled one out and went to a remote 345 (or whatever they are) with a GTN750 upgrade from his aging 530.

Is Avidyne still offering the free upgrade of the 100B to the 200B for dual band and are the software bugs still present?

Thanks, hope everyone who went to Osh had a great time!
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by LeeMajors LeeMajors wrote:

Hello all, back from Osh and man was that AWESOME!!  Had a great time.

Back on this since I had to use my iPad for traffic and not the 540 due to I think the SkyTrax 100 configuration.

To the point of this discussion I have an opportunity to buy a SkyTrax100B from a local buddy who pulled one out and went to a remote 345 (or whatever they are) with a GTN750 upgrade from his aging 530.

Is Avidyne still offering the free upgrade of the 100B to the 200B for dual band and are the software bugs still present?

Thanks, hope everyone who went to Osh had a great time!

Existing Avidyne customers with the single-band Avidyne SkyTrax100B receiver can have their units upgraded to SkyTrax200 dual-band capability. For a limited time, this software upgrade is being made available free of charge. Dealer labor to perform the upgrade is not included.

AFAIK - the latest SkyTrax200 software release is 1.0.1; this was released last September to correct possible false ADSB targets associated with enabling the 1090MHz receiver. The corrected anomaly is described in Avidyne SIL 606-00190-002 found here: SkyTrax 200 Dual Band ADS-B IN Receiver | Avidyne Avionics 
LeeMajors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeMajors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

Existing Avidyne customers with the single-band Avidyne SkyTrax100B receiver can have their units upgraded to SkyTrax200 dual-band capability. For a limited time, this software upgrade is being made available free of charge. Dealer labor to perform the upgrade is not included.

AFAIK - the latest SkyTrax200 software release is 1.0.1; this was released last September to correct possible false ADSB targets associated with enabling the 1090MHz receiver. The corrected anomaly is described in Avidyne SIL 606-00190-002 found here: SkyTrax 200 Dual Band ADS-B IN Receiver | Avidyne Avionics 
Great, thanks.  

I saw that first part on the Avidyne page but I didn’t know if it was old news.  I’ve seen pages before with sale prices and other promotions that are not accurate and wanted to ask to make sure before I grab it from him and see if Thom Duncan or Carpenter here in Nashville can do the update then put it in and figure out which pin is going to which 540 pin and plot it once and for all so my 540 works right.

The more I fly behind the 540 the more I like it.  I wish they’d come out with a newer unit that had a little more screen real estate and a higher pixel display.  I’d put that in my Duke if it used the same connectors and put the 540 in the Cherokee 180 I have a couple partners in that my son is learning on.
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 1:26pm
Can the following SkyTrax be upgraded to a SkyTrax200 by upgrading the firmware? Or will it have to be replaced?

SKYTRAX100 RECEIVER, ARINC429 OPTION WITH CONNECTOR KIT
P/N 200-00270-000
S/N 17170001
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 2:18pm
The original Skytrax 100 is not firmware upgradeable to a 200.  Only the 100B models are firmware upgradable. 

I just sent my old Skytrax 100 in for a tradein swap to a 200.  I know this pain for a fact. lol.   However, its an easy swap/upgrade when the new unit arrives.  Good chance the wiring is exactly the same, so the labor cost will be pretty nill.
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 6:43pm
Does Avidyne still offer a special trade-in price for the SkyTrax100 to SkyTrax200 upgrade? If so, what is the cost?

Edited by atomsite - 14 Sep 2022 at 6:43pm
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 1:20pm
I just replaced MBL100 with the new SkyTrax200 unit. While it is all pin compatible and everything seems to work, I am unable to get the Pressure Altitude recognized on SkyTrax. I took some screenshots of MLB config data before replacement and that shows correct recognization and acknowledgement of Encoder data. Please see attached, also note that the config data was captured after IFD540 RS232 settings were already updated to Skytrax which should explain the GPS failure shown in captures. But the original config data is as shows.

MLB was installed in 2017 when we used to get weather off RS232 and traffic off ARINC 429, so the config might resemble that. Later during upgrades, we disabled ARINC IN at IFD end and switched traffic to existing RS232 protocols Wx+Trf. Attached shows the [proper recognization of Pressure altitude correctly of 1025 ft. 

Now with SkyTrax upgrade, I config the port 1 with config command and the unit autodetected port 2 as Garmin ADSB+ so that part is all good. But it never detected the ICARUS pressure altitude, So, I also tried to manually configure port3 for ICARUS 9600 and it makes no difference. ERRMON still shows no PA data. As a result, the traffic announced on IFD540 shows incorrect target altitude. I also have a GDL50 installed and can compare the traffic on Skytrax another ADSB to validate. Here are the traces from Skytrax confirmed. What else should I be checking? 

> 

comstat

COM port status

Port    RX baud RX handler                     TX baud TX handler

1       115200  Capstone                       115200  Capstone

2       38400   Garmin ADS-B+ GPS              38400   Garmin ADS-B+ GPS

3       9600    Icarus Altitude                9600    Auto-detect

4       9600    Auto-detect                    9600    Auto-detect

5       115200  Command                        115200  Command

>errmon

Failure/warning status monitor

Status

------

ADSB............................Enabled

TAS/TCAS........................External

Pressure altitude...............Invalid

Geometric altitude..............Valid

GPS position....................Valid

Position/Altitude...............Warning

Failures

--------

Receiver........................Okay

HW/SW mismatch..................Okay

FPGA flight image...............Okay

Warnings

--------

ICAO address....................Okay

Velocity........................Okay

External TAS/TCAS...............None

Edited by Sanjiv - 28 Dec 2022 at 7:30am
PA28-236 @N14
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 10:29am
This is from the Skytrax 200 install manual
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 7:33am
@Ibraham Something doesn't look right with this output. I thought port5 was dedicated for command. Shows a diff port in your comstat. Also I don't see any pressure altitude port detected or configured there. Are you getting pressure altitude from ARINC instead? 

Edited by Sanjiv - 28 Dec 2022 at 7:36am
PA28-236 @N14
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 7:37am
Issue was resolved. The ground wire from solder sleeve of the cable coming from encoder had come lose at the skytrax connector end. It detected ICARUS on port 3 now and it seems to be good. 
PA28-236 @N14
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 10:30am
That was from the installation manual
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 5:05pm
I have a SkyTrax 100. Is the $1,250 rebate still available if I trade it in for a SkyTrax 200?

Edited by atomsite - 13 Mar 2023 at 5:06pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 10:40am
Originally posted by atomsite atomsite wrote:

I have a SkyTrax 100. Is the $1,250 rebate still available if I trade it in for a SkyTrax 200?
Yes, that promotion is still available.  Contact your dealer or email sales@avidyne.com.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 3:42am
I have a SkyTrax100 connected to an IFD550 using RS-232. Can I send traffic and weather to a Dynon HDX using an unused RS-232 line from the IFD550?

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:30am
Originally posted by atomsite atomsite wrote:

I have a SkyTrax100 connected to an IFD550 using RS-232. Can I send traffic and weather to a Dynon HDX using an unused RS-232 line from the IFD550?
No
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 3:30am
What do you suggest? is there another RS-232 line on the SkyTrax that can be connected to the Dynon HDX? Basically, how do I get traffic+weather on both the IFD550 and HDX with a SkyTrax? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic