Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Trainer App for V10.3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD Trainer App for V10.3
    Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:00pm
I just updated the IFD100 trainer with version 10.3! I can’t find where that software version is available for the IFD 5xx or 4xx units. Am I missing something?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:52pm
No you're not missing anything.  The IFD software isn't available yet, but you can use the trainer in preparation for the real thing.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 7:12pm
Does the IFD Trainer App for V10.3 link for "documentation" give a newer 10.3 compatible version of the Pilot Guide?  Currently available web links only have the IFD4XX and IFD5XX Pilots Guide revision 07, dated April 2019, with updates to accompany version 10.2.3.1.

Avidyne, please release a list of changes and updates for AviOS10.3.

Avidyne, please release an updated IFDXXX Pilots Guide to support AviOS10.3.
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:51pm
Thanks, Steve. A light at the end of the tunnel!
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 8:48am
Originally posted by afassas afassas wrote:

Does the IFD Trainer App for V10.3 link for "documentation" give a newer 10.3 compatible version of the Pilot Guide?  Currently available web links only have the IFD4XX and IFD5XX Pilots Guide revision 07, dated April 2019, with updates to accompany version 10.2.3.1.

Avidyne, please release a list of changes and updates for AviOS10.3.

Avidyne, please release an updated IFDXXX Pilots Guide to support AviOS10.3.
New Pilot's Guides have been completed and are in the review process.  A complete list of release notes will be published when the software is released.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 2:19pm
moved here from a different thread.
Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

BTW - I cannot get the updated IFD Trainer to show any charts. The AUX-Databases Status indicates charts are not installed; however, going through the Databases Update last night appeared to have downloaded the charts effective 9/17 with no effect. My IFD100 now indicates charts effective 9/17 are installed after the IFD Trainer update attempt.
Could be that the config files for the trainer app are set to disable charts (although that shouldn't be the case).  Try going to the Jeppesen page where you update databases and then press the settings (gear) icon in the upper right corner.  You'll then see a yellow exclamation point icon at the bottom of the screen.  Touch that to reset the app configuration to "factory".  After you do that, you'll have to download databases again, though, sorry. 
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
GeeGeeBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeeGeeBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 7:15am
Also note that you cannot use the new V10.3 Trainer to connect (fully) to the IFD100.  The IFD100 has to also be V10.3 to allow for flight plan transfers and since the IFD100 has to be the same version as the panel mount and since V10.3 isn't out yet...  :)

(Steve, please correct me if I have this wrong but I think that's what Tom Harper was telling me on Facebook.)
...can't keep my eyes from the circling skies...
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 9:46am
Originally posted by GeeGeeBee GeeGeeBee wrote:

Also note that you cannot use the new V10.3 Trainer to connect (fully) to the IFD100.  The IFD100 has to also be V10.3 to allow for flight plan transfers and since the IFD100 has to be the same version as the panel mount and since V10.3 isn't out yet...  :)

(Steve, please correct me if I have this wrong but I think that's what Tom Harper was telling me on Facebook.)
That is correct.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Utah Princess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utah Princess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 8:25pm
Soooo, do we forget about connecting the A100 with the new 10.3 trainer? Or, will the trainer and the 100 like each other again soon. ;-) I use (have used) the two apps to familiarize myself with loading/flying approaches with the Avidyne before I attempt them at unfamiliar airports.  This has been extremely useful particularly as I’m still learning my Avidyne 440.  BTW:  My two iPads are set to my home WiFi (worked before) and I have the current Jepp databases loaded (I don’t have the Jepp charts) and when you launch the new trainer you are no longer presented with the “Allow” WiFi/Bluetooth screen. 

I tried to find the earlier version 10.2 of the trainer thinking I could wind things back to the way it was before but sadly, that doesn’t seem to be an option anymore in the App Store.  (sad, sad face)
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 9:36am
The existing IFD100 will be renamed to be something like "IFD100 (10.2)".  Then we will create a new app named "IFD100 (10.3)".  That app will connect to the new trainer.

Note that the existing IFD100 will still talk to the new trainer app but, as you are aware, the flight plans will not transfer.  As a temporary workaround until the IFD100 10.3 app is available, you can enter the same flight plan on both apps.  Not as slick, I realize, but it will still allow you to train for unfamiliar airports.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Utah Princess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utah Princess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 1:06pm
Thank you for the speedy response and info.  I will look forward to the next IFD100 version release.

Edited by Utah Princess - 21 Sep 2021 at 1:07pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 4:13pm
I understand that the new map detail available with 10.3 is a chargeable option, which suggests that it will appear in the list of options on the AUX/SYS page. The only new option on the 10.3 IFD Trainer is PORTS which doesn't suggest that this is it.

The new IFD Trainer default on startup shows the same map detail as currently. Is there a way to a) activate the higher map detail on the new Trainer and b) tell if the option is activated or not? The Trainer (old or new) doesn't allow changing the Options on the SYS page. There is also nothing in the Trainer setup under the IpadOS Settings.

Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

I understand that the new map detail available with 10.3 is a chargeable option, which suggests that it will appear in the list of options on the AUX/SYS page. The only new option on the 10.3 IFD Trainer is PORTS which doesn't suggest that this is it.

The new IFD Trainer default on startup shows the same map detail as currently. Is there a way to a) activate the higher map detail on the new Trainer and b) tell if the option is activated or not? The Trainer (old or new) doesn't allow changing the Options on the SYS page. There is also nothing in the Trainer setup under the IpadOS Settings.

Are you talking about the ability to range the map in farther (i.e. zoom closer)?  If so, that's not a paid option.  It's just part of 10.3.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
eloigorri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eloigorri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 11:35pm
Is it possible to revert back to the old pre 10.3 trainer? Having seen the new 10.3 features l would now prefer to revert the trainer functionality in synch with the actual IFD software l am running.

I saw elsewhere you were planning to split IFD100 into pre and post 10.3 versions. Perhaps this would be a route for the trainer as well for a while?

Cheers. E
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 2:04am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Are you talking about the ability to range the map in farther (i.e. zoom closer)?  If so, that's not a paid option.  It's just part of 10.3.

No Steve, I meant this ...

10.3 is still underway.  It's grown in scope, so between that and virus related delays, it's just taking longer than we expected or wanted it to.  Nevertheless, here are the features I mentioned in last night's webinar.

• RF legs
  • Support for new ADS-B products
  • Better support for twin engine aircraft on the fuel page
  • Visual approaches
  • Power lines on the map
  • Easier WiFi configuration
  • High resolution terrain (though this would require a paid hardware upgrade)
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 10:31am

No Steve, I meant this ...

• High resolution terrain (though this would require a paid hardware upgrade)
The trainer still uses the existing terrain.  At this point, there's no plan to update it.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 10:37am
Originally posted by eloigorri eloigorri wrote:

Is it possible to revert back to the old pre 10.3 trainer? Having seen the new 10.3 features l would now prefer to revert the trainer functionality in synch with the actual IFD software l am running.

I saw elsewhere you were planning to split IFD100 into pre and post 10.3 versions. Perhaps this would be a route for the trainer as well for a while?

Cheers. E
We're only publishing the 10.3 trainer, but I googled "can I load an old version of an app on my iPad" and several results came up.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
D-EACY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-EACY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 5:07am
Will the visual approach lateral and vertical guidance be displayed on my Entegra PFD and can i fly it coupled? (Will mechanical HSIs in older airplanes display the guidance?)

In Germany/Europe we don't have standard VFR patterns like in the US, for noise reasons they are all different. So will i be able to select the final approach and then intercept it and the virtual glidepath with HDG+NAV (DFC90)
2006 SR22-G2 DFC90 IFD440
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 8:56am
Originally posted by D-EACY D-EACY wrote:

Will the visual approach lateral and vertical guidance be displayed on my Entegra PFD and can i fly it coupled? (Will mechanical HSIs in older airplanes display the guidance?)

In Germany/Europe we don't have standard VFR patterns like in the US, for noise reasons they are all different. So will i be able to select the final approach and then intercept it and the virtual glidepath with HDG+NAV (DFC90)
Yes, guidance will be displayed on the PFD.  Even though the vertical guidance is technically advisory only, you can still couple to it.

You select the visual "transition" just like you select transitions for an instrument approach.  One of the options is "straight in", which is what you are looking for.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Airways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:01am

In addition, will the “glide slope” display on an Aspen ?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Airways Airways wrote:

In addition, will the “glide slope” display on an Aspen ?
Yes
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
D-EACY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-EACY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:46am
Thank you, Steve!
Sounds great, can't wait to try it! 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 4:28pm

Thank you, Steve!
Sounds great, can't wait to try it! 
The trainer is on the app store already.  No need to wait!
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
eloigorri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eloigorri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 10:15pm

Originally posted by eloigorri eloigorri wrote:

Cheers. E
We're only publishing the 10.3 trainer, but I googled "can I load an old version of an app on my iPad" and several results came up.

Thanks for the suggestion Steve.
I have now tried various methods suggested on Google, but no joy with my particular IPad/ IOS combination. 
RobOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:09am
The visual approach feature will probably finally make me go with buying a 440. I was using the app yesterday and I can't get it to sequence properly. When I choose the visual approach and, for example right downwind, the 'gap in route' symbol appears with 'visual' written in it. A long final then becomes magenta/white and the downwind and based remain in dashed white.
The simulator will then fly direct to the airport with no further sequencing. What am I doing wrong? As a not-yet-customer I'm pretty new to the IFD software so it's probably something straightforward that I'm missing.
D-EACY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-EACY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 4:17am
Hi Steve,

I do have the trainer already, but obviously I cannot simulate the behaviour of the IFD440+the Entegra PFD with it!

So if I select the "straight in" transition I can intercept the final track with HDG+NAV and fly a coupled descent, correct? 

daveS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 4:51pm
I'm seeing the same thing on the trainer app.  If I enter the Visual for RWY25 at KTTD with any transition (downwind, base), the pattern is drawn with dotted lines but there is no way to activate one of the pattern legs.  Hitting 'Activate Visual' doesn't force any of the pattern legs active either.  Straight In does seem to work as the route will change to intercept the extended centerline and the plane does seem to land.  Is this just a simulator function or are the downwind/base transitions only drawn on the map versus being able to be flown?
------------
dave
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by daveS daveS wrote:

I'm seeing the same thing on the trainer app.  If I enter the Visual for RWY25 at KTTD with any transition (downwind, base), the pattern is drawn with dotted lines but there is no way to activate one of the pattern legs.  Hitting 'Activate Visual' doesn't force any of the pattern legs active either.  Straight In does seem to work as the route will change to intercept the extended centerline and the plane does seem to land.  Is this just a simulator function or are the downwind/base transitions only drawn on the map versus being able to be flown?
Hopefully, this solves robOC's problem too.

As you said in the last sentence, the base and downwind legs are drawn on the map for SA, but are not flown.  A visual approach provides guidance only to the final approach course (extended runway centerline).  Since you can't put the trainer into heading mode for a while (or fly it by hand), it will only appear to work right if the aircraft is positioned past the airport on the approach side.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 5:21pm

I do have the trainer already, but obviously I cannot simulate the behaviour of the IFD440+the Entegra PFD with it!

So if I select the "straight in" transition I can intercept the final track with HDG+NAV and fly a coupled descent, correct?
Yes, you can couple to get guidance to the final approach course.  You can also couple vertical, but it is technically advisory only guidance.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
GeeGeeBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GeeGeeBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 8:42am

The existing IFD100 will be renamed to be something like "IFD100 (10.2)".  Then we will create a new app named "IFD100 (10.3)".  That app will connect to the new trainer.

Note that the existing IFD100 will still talk to the new trainer app but, as you are aware, the flight plans will not transfer.  As a temporary workaround until the IFD100 10.3 app is available, you can enter the same flight plan on both apps.  Not as slick, I realize, but it will still allow you to train for unfamiliar airports.

Steve, recently I've lost the ability to connect the trainer at all to the IFD100 (to say nothing of the flight plan transfer issue).  It connects for about a second and then goes to a blank screen with the error message "IFD Version Mismatch - An attempted connection was made to an IFD running 10.3 software.  Download the 'IFD100 10.3' from the App Store and delete this app to continue."

Is this a known issue or something I need to dig further into?  Thanks!
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 9:06am
That's because the trainer is 10.3 and the IFD100 is 10.2.  Known issue that will be resolved when 10.3 is released.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
GeeGeeBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeeGeeBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 11:00am
I get that, Steve, but I used to be able to connect with the 10.3 trainer and the 10.2 IFD100.  Just couldn't synch flight plans.  But now I can't even connect.
JoeIBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeIBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 9:26am
Hey Steve - this doesn’t work well in the world of software.  Consider the following scenarios:

Right now the only IFD trainer you can get off the App Store is 10.3
But I just bought and installed a 10.2 level 540.
I have the IFD app at 10.2 also, so that’s good - at least my IFD100 will work with my panel 540.
But if I’m sitting at home, I can only use the 10.3 trainer.
First - it’s a LOT more expensive to go out and burn 30+gph in my 310, learning how to fly it with the 540 on 10.2 with the IFD100 on 10.2 than it would be in my Pajamas running 10.2 trainer connected to my 10.2 IFD100.

So, how about re-releasing the older named trainer as IFDtrainer 10.2 again so those of us who want to use the 10.2 software, CAN?

Avidyne could still keep 10.3 trainer for everyone who wants to use and prepare for 10.3…
C310R at KJYO
GeeGeeBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeeGeeBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 9:39am
Couldn't agree more, Joel. 

And while they're at it, maybe they could release the XP trainer also at 10.2 so it can connect to IFD100 while using X-Plane 11 (admittedly, that's a lower priority and more work than the re-release of the base trainer at 10.2).

Edited by GeeGeeBee - 18 Dec 2021 at 9:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic