Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Additional Compatible Radar ie. RDS-81

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Additional Compatible Radar ie. RDS-81
    Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:51am
There has been confusion over the past several years with regards to Avidyne's roadmap/plans for which models of radar sensors that the IFD-5XX will display and control, with the Radar Unlock feature.

Original Avidyne brochures for the IFD-5XX stated a large list, which included the Bendix/King RDS-81.  The actual documentation for the IFD-5XX only showed the Bendix/King RDR-2000.

I have inquired through an Avidyne dealer and have been told that indeed there were issues with the other Bendix/King digital radar (including the RDS-81) not working as expected when interfaced to the IFD-5XX (up through software version 10.2.6.1), but that these legacy radar are expected to be added to the compatible list with software version 10.3.

I have a Bendix/King RDS-81 radar in my aircraft.  The components are an IN-812A radar indicator and a RS-811A radar sensor. 

My radar indicator display has failed and I am needing to decide on a radar indicator path forward.  If my radar was on the IFD-5XX compatible list, I would gladly purchase the radar unlock option and have my radar sensor wired up to my IFD-540.  Avidyne can you shed some light on this subject please?
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 1:24pm
Release 10.2.4.1 included support for RDS-81 and several other radars.  Any issues with RDS-81 initial integration that we were aware of have been resolved already and are not specifically a part of 10.3.  If you have information about specific aspects of the integration that you've been told are inoperative, please let us know.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Release 10.2.4.1 included support for RDS-81 and several other radars.  Any issues with RDS-81 initial integration that we were aware of have been resolved already and are not specifically a part of 10.3.  If you have information about specific aspects of the integration that you've been told are inoperative, please let us know.

Steve, thank you for the reply.

It might be nice to inform the Customer Support engineers at Avidyne of this information.  I specifically called about a month ago to enquire about integration of my Bendix/King RDS-81 radar with my existing IFD-540.  The response without looking anything up was, "We do not interface to the RDS-81.".  I asked if it was on the roadmap to be added, the response was "We do not have plans to interface to any analog radar models."

I asked my Avidyne dealer to also inquire.  He reported back that Avidyne had issues with previous attempts to interface with the RDS-81, but that these have been worked out and are part of software release 10.3.

I will inform my Avidyne dealer of your response. We will proceed from there.  Thank you.
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic