Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Certification Status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 10:23am
So, will you make this quarter for certification?

Will we ever get that letter?

Edited by Tim_M - 08 Mar 2014 at 10:25am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 2:33pm
We expect to be shipping certified units in June.

The letter was going to be a high level summary of the program from the COO.    This forum is a better place to get and/or ask about more current and more detailed information.    I don't believe there are any plans for a summary letter at this time.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 5:38pm

Well, that is a pretty definite commitment, things must be going pretty well.

* Orest

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 7:20pm
What is the time frame between lots?  I think I'm in the second lot.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 1:32am
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

What is the time frame between lots?  I think I'm in the second lot.

Review your sales paperwork.  Mine specifies a production month.

Note that Steve has previously said that they had identified some production gains, so hopefully the month identified in your contract is worst-case, and it could be sooner than that.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 2:15pm
At this point, I will believe it when I see it. I preordered, and put down a deposit, in January 2012. During that time, Avidyne has failed to meet any of their self-announced deadlines, and their communications to me could only be described as nonexistent. I am sorry to have loaned them my money for all this time. Whatever the advantages of the IFD540 versus its competitors, none of them matter when I cannot actually put one in my panel. 
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 4:21pm

That is, technically, Q2.
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 4:25pm
Paul,

I can certainly see your point.

But perhaps playing the Devil's advocate, I see the "cost" of my loan, that is the pre-payment to Avidyne, as peanuts compared to the savings on the likely market price of the unit when it is released. If you calculate and compare the future values, you are way, way ahead.

Now, if you needed a unit for a major panel redo, or didn't have a serviceable GPS/NAV currently to bide your the time, or something like that, then that is definitely an issue. I did redo our panel, but leaving a space for the 540 worked just fine, and I can GNS along for a while yet. Sure I'd like to see the 540 released yesterday, but personally I don't have to have it released yesterday.

As far as missing deadlines, yes, no question, Avidyne missed publicly announced dates and not by just a little bit, but by a country mile. Personally I am not that surprised, and didn't go into this expecting a quick release, the pessimist and skeptic that I am. I was prepared to wait a while, for what I perceived to be a superior product. However, that may not be for everyone.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Mar 2014 at 4:32pm
Keezdisease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keezdisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 5:01am
I personally have three 540 slots reserved for two years now. I asked for a returned deposit and was told that would happen in less than two weeks. This was two weeks before thanksgiving. I wanted to use the cash towards a 530/430 upgrade due to my original panel becoming not dependable, then all I had to do was slide the 540s in. Of course as with all mini projects the panel ended up costing me 25% more in " well why we are here stuff" but still no monies received from Avidyne. Unfortunately I am losing faith as I wanted to not mention this on public forum but I guess Avidyne refund policy is on the same calendar as shipping status.
I fully understand delays in certification but what I don't understand is why a great company would tell you something knowing they are not going to do it. Honor your word and refund peoples monies when asked to in a timely fashion and quit telling people things that you are not going to do. It took fifteen minutes to get almost 30 k and it has been 16 weeks since the request for refund. Based on this performance e I am guessing when Avidyne says Jube q2 they mean in 2016? Enough with the antics already.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 7:55am
Well Keezdisease's post sure sounds ugly.  I had no idea about the refund request status and I'll check it out on Monday when that crew is in.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 10:18am
I asked for a refund twice in 2013 and was talked out of it twice by promises that certification was imminent. In February 2013, Jonathan Pelletier told me that certification was expected in June (to be fair, he didn't say which year), and then in August 2013 Matthew Wiley told me that "the hardware is completed and the software is completed, so we are done on our end we are just in the certification process now. The certification is expected now in the Q4 time frame (October - December)." 

I understand your point well, Orest, and I must say that you have a greater reserve of patience, and perhaps faith, than I do. I realize that in many organizations, the sales/customer contact folks don't have good information, and at some they just flat-out make things up, but I expected better from Avidyne.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 10:25am
This forum is where you will find the most accurate information that exists.  I am not making up anything.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keezdisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 11:24am
Jake I believe the tone of the post was ugly and please don't take it personally, however, I feel that Avidyne has been rather careless in the way they have handled refunding people's money.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 11:30am
Understood and I can see how one can reach that carelessness opinion.   It's a big deal and I'll find out what's going on with your (and anyone else's) outstanding refund requests.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 2:49pm
Steve, my apologies-- I didn't mean to imply that you were one of the sales people who made things up. Your transparency and help here is much appreciated. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

This forum is where you will find the most accurate information that exists.  I am not making up anything.

Indeed, and thank Heavens for yourself, and the forums here.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keezdisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 10:29pm

AviJake wrote:

This forum is where you will find the most accurate information that exists. I am not making up anything.

Indeed, and thank Heavens for yourself, and the forums here.

* Orest

Plus 1
vuk3@me.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 8:55am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's been some time since the uncertified IFD's have been installed in the experimental aircraft. I'm puzzled that we've heard nothing from the pilots that have been blessed with these pre release units. Do they not know about this forum? I expect there's an audience here that's eager to hear their comments. My apologies if there is such a thread already.... Please point me in the right direction if it exists.
Cheers
A
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 8:57am
They've been holding off public posts until about the end of March at my request.

If you haven't heard anything by about 1 April, then I've dropped the ball so please poke me again then.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 4:51pm
In fairness to Avidyne, every date I've been promised by an aviation manufacturer has been a complete fantasy.  Garmin, as the 12,500 pound gorilla, can afford to develop in secret and announce when they're ready to ship.  I'm not convinced that other companies could do that.

That being said, it doesn't mean I have to like it.  Aspen promised me on multiple occasions that they would have a fully certified solution that allowed the removal of the backup AI.  They have since all but abandoned that goal, and I had to modify my panel to make room for a separate backup unit that cost thousands of dollars...  Grumble, grumble.

It's definitely not a way to win customer satisfaction surveys.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 5:37pm
For those interested readers following the escalated refund request by Keezdisease, I can say that his request was just fullfilled.  I personally saw the signed check stuffed into the postmarked envelope a few minutes ago.

Now back to the cert grindstone.....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 6:26pm
Sorry Steve, one more piece of refund business to address. I have worked to become as educated on ADS-B as possible and determined that the AXP340 transponder I put a deposit on did not meet my current needs based on my existing equipment. I also requested a refund of that deposit MONTHS ago and have been given the "checks cut last week" response from the sales team. I have the emails if you would like me to post them. Just send me my refund now and my two 540's and audio panel when certified and I will continue to quit complaining per my previous ADS-B thread.
GDC25
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 6:30pm
Correction, paid for in full...
GDC25

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keezdisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2014 at 7:13pm
Sad to say this is what it took but thank you. Now let's see if we have full cert by end of March.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 7:40am
Glassanza,

I'm on it.  Should have resolution later today.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 8:34am
It really makes me sad to see you guys asking for refunds at the last hour and I think it is a mistake.  At the risk of breaking protocal with Steve here, I am in the pilot program and have my airplane equipped with 2 IFD540s and an AXP340.  I can tell you that the real thing is better than reading the forums here, or even the pilot's guide.

The IFDs seem to interface well with my steam gauges and autopilot / flight director (KFC200) and so far have performed as expected.  My existing traffic and weather system displays on the units just fine and I've not yet had the opportunity to see how my lightning system will work, but we are approaching springtime, so hopefully I'll have a chance to see.

The units seem very well built and the knobs have a solid "well built" feel.  I like how the buttons feel and when I flew it in moderate turblulance over the weekend I appreciated that I could use the buttons rather than the touch screen.

The largest challenge for me so far is how to configure the datablocks to get the information I need.  The units have so much flexibility, it is hard to choose and I had to sit and logically think about what I needed for the type of flying I do most (IFR).

Other than that highlight, those are my general observations so far.  If you are thinking of requesting a deposit refund, I'd recommend waiting a few more months.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 1:31pm
Gring,

You lucky guy, thanks for the report. No question that I'm waiting.

Once you settle out on an IFR config for the datablocks, would be delighted to see what you decided on.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 Mar 2014 at 1:32pm
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 3:18pm
Gring thank you as well for the brief insight into the 540. I too can't wait to get my 540 and 240 in my airplane and experience the capabilities first hand. As I mentioned in my post, I have chosen not to get the transponder due to the fact that I have a GTX330 that I will upgrade to ES. This will enable me to keep the existing TIS-A traffic which still has really good coverage in my area (being phased out I know) and get ADS-B traffic on my Ipad with a Stratus. I am simply waiting on a remote solution for ADS-B in and out and believe Avidyne will have exactly what I am looking for in the not to distant future. 

Steve thank you for looking into my situation.

Greg

GDC25
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 4:22pm
Greg,

Your transponder refund went in the mail today.

Edited by AviJake - 18 Mar 2014 at 4:22pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2014 at 4:48pm
Again, appreciated.
GDC25
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 8:48pm
(19 Mar 2014 Status Update):

We had an unexpected but very welcome meeting today with the FAA who came into our lab with an objective of closing out some open cert issues for the IFD540.  

Updates in bold red below.  I stick by the externally consumable milestones earlier in this thread, namely:

1.  Receive, and react accordingly to, the FAA-generated MPSUE assessment of the unit.  This will likely drive some code changes but we won't know the magnitude until we get the official list from the FAA;  Officially Done.   There had been roughly a dozen, albeit not risky, items open from the MPSUE that the FAA intended to keep open until TIA.  They were all closed today and none require any further FAA flight or evaluation.

2.  Achieve 100% DO-178B Code Complete status.   This is well beyond "feature complete".  DO-178B "Code Complete" means we've finished all the code review and requirement tracing of the code per the FAA-recognized software standard.   We can't finish this until we know the code is done changing.  Note that we're done with all the changes on our end, we're just reacting now to any mandated changes;  This was completed a few months ago so nothing new to report here.

3.  Officially declare DO-160 Hardware Qual testing to be complete;  Already reported to be done.

4.  Achieve "Red Label" status on the combined hardware/software system.  This means that all formal for-credit software and hardware testing have been completed.  In other words, this is a submittable-for-cert system;  Refer back to the Jan post for more details on what this one means.   We've made great progress on this one.   Approximately 97% of all requirements have tests written for them now.   We're still plugging away on Code Coverage which will take the bulk of the remaining  time.   We also been able to start official Test-For-Credit on some of the system (math libraries, OS, lower design assurance level code, etc)

5.  Complete official company "for-credit" flight testing of the final submittable system; No change here since Jan.

6.  Complete FAA TIA (Type Inspection Authorization) testing.  This is the FAA's final exam of the complete system before they sign off on cert.  One of the most interesting  things that happened today is that the FAA is talking (I emphasize talking and has not made a decision) about delegating all TIA back to us.  That became a lot easier for them after they closed out the open TIA issues.  We'll keep doing whatever we can to influence their decision on that one.

7.  Make our final submissions to the FAA of 100% of the certification artifacts.  No change on this item since Jan.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 11:54am
It would be a positive if you can get delegation...

I truly hope this represents home stretch.
David Gates
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 12:30pm
So I am guessing that you don't want to begin your requirements based testing until the TIA flights are complete? How long do you anticipate the actual testing will take to complete? Did you dry run the tests you do have completed?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 1:19pm
Tony,

On the contrary, we actually *have to* complete all requirements-based testing prior to starting TIA.

As noted in last nights post, we've already started the for-credit requirements-based testing.    For that code the requires code coverage tasks to be complete, we can't start that for-credit testing until the coverage is done.  And yes, tests are considered "written" until they exist and have been dry run and independently reviewed.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 8:00pm
thanks for the clarification.
Cascade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cascade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 7:29pm
For those (like me) who generally only check the "IFD Certification Status" blog and ignore all the other threads, note that Avidyne 2 days ago announced the availability of the new IFD540 simulator for download to a PC:  http://avidynelive.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=331&PID=2584&title=simulator-software-versions#2584
Cascade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

They've been holding off public posts until about the end of March at my request.

If you haven't heard anything by about 1 April, then I've dropped the ball so please poke me again then.

Hi guys,
Still very keen to hear more from the guys flying with the pre TSO units in the pilot program. If they are posting in another topic in this forum please point me in the right direction.
Cheers
A
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 7:52am
Good pimp.   I'll see if I can get some of the guys to post their experiences this weekend.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 7:57am
I started a new thread about my Pilot Program experiences which has some material from the Dual IFD Techniques thread as well as some new information.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 9:17am
I've read all of the pilot program posts... Very impressive indeed. Just one question.... How long do you expect the 440 will take to cert after the 540 begins shipping? There's so much going into completing the 540 it looks like the little one's been sidelined.
Cheers
A
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 10:18am
We're confident the IFD440 will be ready in 6 months or less after the IFD540.   While I don't talk about it here, it is not sidelined.   There is continued software work going on with the 440 (we build 540 and 440 loads at the same time), the hardware is continually worked on and we're keenly aware of how much interest there will be in getting that done as soon as feasible after the 540.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jperryfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jperryfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 1:43pm
I thought about going on a hunger strike until I got my IFN440 but had second thoughts. Great to meet you at Sun n Fun Steve. My son will be applying for one of those jobs at Melbourne.
John Perry
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 3:12pm
Sounds good John.  We don't typically condone hunger strikes when software development or certification are involved.   We can see the finish line from here.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 8:25am
Steve:  Is there a way to find out where we are in the delivery Que as a prepaid customer?

JWJ
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 9:54am
Review your contract.  It should mention in there what delivery month you're in.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 6:23pm
MysticCobra is correct.  It should be on your original paperwork.  Let me know if you can't find that and I'll dig up our copy of it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 9:44am
I purchased an "IFD540 Full Stack" on my AMEX card in June 2012.  There was no delivery month.
You can PM me.
John

JWJ
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 5:02pm
(3 May 2014 Status Update):

We remain on track to have cert by the end of Q2.  

Updates in bold red below.  I stick by the externally consumable milestones earlier in this thread, namely:

1.  Receive, and react accordingly to, the FAA-generated MPSUE assessment of the unit.  This will likely drive some code changes but we won't know the magnitude until we get the official list from the FAA;  Officially Done.   

2.  Achieve 100% DO-178B Code Complete status.   This is well beyond "feature complete".  DO-178B "Code Complete" means we've finished all the code review and requirement tracing of the code per the FAA-recognized software standard.   We can't finish this until we know the code is done changing.  Note that we're done with all the changes on our end, we're just reacting now to any mandated changes;  This was completed a few months ago so nothing new to report here.

3.  Officially declare DO-160 Hardware Qual testing to be complete;  Already reported to be done.

4.  Achieve "Red Label" status on the combined hardware/software system.  This means that all formal for-credit software and hardware testing have been completed.  In other words, this is a submittable-for-cert system;  This is where we've made the most progress since the last update.  Code Coverage was the largest part of this effort and I'm happy to say that is behind us now.  That took several calendar months to complete and clears the path for the official for-credit software (DO-178) testing.  We've started software test-for-credit (TFC) and this should take us most of May to complete.  I do have the details of the TFC progress that we're tracking very precisely that I may start posting if it makes sense.   The % complete number creeps up a few percent every day and we're running 7 days a week.  It might be fun to start posting those numbers by mid-May so the really forum junkies have something to track.

5.  Complete official company "for-credit" flight testing of the final submittable system; Mike and I keep re-flying the flight test points that are part of this step.  We'll have dry run each test point multiple times by the time this step is "a go".

6.  Complete FAA TIA (Type Inspection Authorization) testing.  This is the FAA's final exam of the complete system before they sign off on cert.  No real change here but we're scheduling a meeting with the FAA in the next few days to go over a detailed blow-by-blow coordination plan for the last month of activities.

7.  Make our final submissions to the FAA of 100% of the certification artifacts.  No change on this step but we've already drafted the larger and more content-filled documents from this set of data.  We think it'll be about a calendar month from the time we reach "Red Label" until we have TSO/STC approval in hand.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 5:07pm
Appreciate the update Steve.

Ed
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 7:56pm
Thank you for the update
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
  Share Topic