Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Certification Status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 9:26am
1.  The return of HDG mode?   No hope to have that as part of the initial release.  We are still hopeful and expectant of a triumphant return in a later release however.

2.  Any suggested wiring changes?   No, not really.  That is assuming you saw the note in the Pilot Guide about ensuring there is a wire from the 530/540 tray up to the Audio panel in order to get IFD540 generated aural alerts up into your headset.  That uses the same TAWS audio output signal line that a Garmin530TAWS used.    The IM will show what devices can be hooked up via serial com ports (we have 6 of them) and which are using ARINC429  but unless you are adding more devices as part of the IFD540 install, you can use the exact same setup as you are using now with your 530.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 10:33am
I have a 540 and 440 on order and I'd like to know if I can get my 440 tray delivered with the 540. The reason is that will allow me to do just one surgery one the panel vs. two. I just looked and today is the 26 month anniversay of my 540 deposit so I believe that puts me in the first block of 540 shipments. If I can get the 440 tray then I am all set to just slide the 440 in when it arrives.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 7:10pm
Not sure what you mean by first block.  I past 26 months a week ago, but my agreement states the second month of full rate production.  You are probably also in the second month close behind me.
Tim_M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Patrick (our COO) has promised a letter update on the 540 program but he's trying to time it to come out with some interesting announcements in early January.

I seems to me that Patrick owes those of us who have put down significant amounts of money on these boxes more timely updates.  Delaying the letter so it can coincide with some announcement is not cool.  That is leaving us in limbo until you make significant progress so you don't have to deliver the bad news. 

I have 2 emails from Matt telling me that the schedule I was told at OSH (cert in Q4 2013) was still valid.  I found out today that it was not anymore.

Someone else here said the natives were restless.  Can you blame anyone who has set aside $10-20K and been waiting in some cases 18 months for wanting to be informed on what is happening with their investment?
Cascade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cascade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 6:57pm
To reply to Tim_M:   I feel compelled to rise to Avidyne's defense in the area of keeping us "...informed on what is happening with [our] investment...".  Patrick's responsibilities are more general, but AviJake Jacobson has been fantastic about keeping the information flow coming.  Witness this six pages of discussion.  I thinkk that, in terms of keeping us informed, Avidyne has been STELLAR.  I speak as someone who regularly had to pull teeth from B-K in order to make them talk about their KSN770 (for which we waited in the dark more than 3 years!), and then whenever they did finally speak it was only to dissemble and mislead.  Kudos to Avidyne...
Cascade
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 7:06pm
I agree with cascade..... and if you were around Tim, you would see that our inputs into the product are listened to, and the development schedule is status'd the best Steve can. Avidyne may not agree with our inputs or suggestions but we do have an audience. Tim perhaps you should read the pages and pages of what's here first before you insert your foot in your mouth again.

Edited by tony - 24 Dec 2013 at 7:02am
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 9:15pm
Question for Avi Jake

After spending hours sifting through all the threads I am unable to figure out exactly what is in involved with swapping a Non W 530 for a 540. I know the 530W is an easy swap, and there are some differences with the Waas unit install; antennae and possibly type of wiring. I have a unique situation in that I am just purchasing an A36 with older non gps radios in it. I am seriously contemplating the prerelease buy on the 540. I was thinking of purchasing a used 530 in the interim and installing. Do they, 530, 530W, 540, all use the same trays and connectors? Could I do the install suited to the 540 and slide the used non W 530 in then replace with the 540 when it arrives? If so, what specifically should I do on the install of the interim used 530 in order to just simply swap in the 540 when it's certified?

Edited by Joe Jet - 22 Dec 2013 at 9:18pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 9:38pm
Hi Joe,  

They all work in the same tray.   The principal difference is how the connectors in the back are populated, wire-wise.

If you bought a non-WAAS 530, you should still strongly consider adding the WAAS antenna(s) now.  Plural was if you buy more than one IFD540, that's all.

I can send you the WAAS antenna list if you need it but it's on our IFD540 FAQs and one of these 540 threads - just let me know if you need that list directly.

Back to my wiring statement above, if your installer followed the wiring instructions/recommendations for a 530W, you'll be fine, with the following additions.  Be sure to include the 530 TAWS wiring (this is the wire from the 530/540 tray to the audio panel) so that you get the aurals from the 540 into your audio panel.   Also, you might be better off increasing the size of the circuit breakers and the associated wire gauge.   We can talk to your installer if you like on the specific recommendations.  That's not required, just something that might be more desired for "new installs" which your situation will almost be.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 10:37pm
Outstanding! Sounds like I may have a good plan then.

Thanks for the quick reply Jake. Wasn't expecting that quick of a reply.
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 9:20am
May I add that Sensor Systems Inc. does have a C-190 compliant antenna that is basicaly flush. It protrudes only as a very minor circular bump that is three inches in diameter, five thirty secondths of an inch high, and tapers smoothly to the edge of the three inch circle.

It is their S67-1575-237 unit. Overall diameter is 5.1 inches. It s does take a bit of effort to make the installation.  Should be almost NO drag at all.  Looks Neat!

I hope to get mine installed during the second week of January, 2014.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 5:33pm
Bob et al,

The IFD540 *should* work just fine with that TSO-C190 antenna.   One concern I did think of however was to make sure the antenna itself has some legal installation basis (like it's own STC) but I suspect you already knew that.   I hope it works out well, looks like a great antenna.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 6:10pm
Good Afternon Steve,

Very good point! 

If it is going to be installed in a pressurized machine, it will take a LOT of data. In some airframes it might be a major alteration. For the spot in my V35B where I intend to put it, my IA (me) considers it to be a minor alteration requiring nothing more than a log book entry.  No primary structure involved and no additional loads on the airframe.

Many others could well disagree.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
velox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 6:19pm
The WASS units take a different antenna and most importantly and costly, an approved antenna cabling.
The cabling is fairly expensive, but the installation of a new cable will be expensive also.
Not a real problem, but is required for WASS signoff.
There may be other changes in addition to the above.
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 8:23pm
I have really enjoyed this thread so far. As we get closer to "D Day" which is delivery day for me I can feel the excitement building for everyone with a 540 on their wish list. Seeing that we are not getting anything for Christmas, i.e. Jake could still send out a bootleg link to a simulator download site, I will make a few observations but slightly influenced by our company Christmas party this afternoon.

1. Tony, I totally respect and appreciate your knowledge to get this thing right. I have come to realize that through this forum and I am thankful you have been a part of the conversation (sorry about my initial comment, hopefully you don't remember). Hope to meet you some day at a fly-in somewhere.

2. Tim, I agree with Tony on this one. It's been a long haul and we have all whined about the schedule delays and although I did threaten to jump ship a few times let's face it we can swim home from here so keep you pants on it willl be worth it.

3. That being said, Tim I agree with you that the name dropping by AviJake about Patrick's soon to be announced news (in January!!!) didn't provide much hope for those hoping for a Christmas miracle so I totally know where you are coming from. 

4. AND lastly to Steve, hell of a job putting up with us. I actually feel like I (we) have had a say in what we are buying; definitely not common in today's world of "superstore" everything but much appreciated.

I know I was long as irreverent but I look here every day for some news…Happy Holidays!
GDC25
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 10:35am
With respect to the bootleg sim requests I'm afraid that's a "Not Yet".  The principal reason is that the Ipad variants we all use back here are not downloadable via the Apple Store yet.  Instead, we have a temporary permission to load the app on our company Ipads from Apple on a serial number by serial number basis for a total max limit of (I think) 20ish seats.

The windows version works fine on touchscreen but I'm not aware of any multi-touch windows touchscreens so we're holding off on distribution of that one right now.

And we simply haven't gotten to the Android variant yet.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Keezdisease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keezdisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 12:40pm
Jake,
In anticipation of the 540 release I have had to take a detour and have had a used 530w installed. As part of this install my avionics shop has loaned me a 430 as well and set the dimensions for the new 540 As I am setting up for a dual 540 setup in the near future I hope. Besides the wiring addition is there any other concern with the setup I should consider for the 430 install. Thank you for keeping us abreast on the development.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 1:07pm
Hi Chris,

We'll try this in the public forum because I'm sure there are others who will be very interested in hearing some of the details.  But, if it's easier, don't hesitate to take it offline via email at sjacobson@avidyne.com

That being said, can you elaborate on your question and temporary set up a little more?    I'm assuming you  intend on a dual IFD540 setup eventually and the questions are directed with that intent in mind, right?

For starters, the two biggies are the dual WAAS antenna configuration (or a very easy way to upgrade to WAAS antennas when it's time) and ensuring the two trays are wired together like a "standard dual 530" install.  That is to say, the two IFDs will communicate with each other over Com 3 (serial port 3).  It is typical that dual 530s are set up to crossfill on Com 3 so as a minimum, those two serial ports are wired to support that.   We use the same port (only we communicate via the Byteflgiht Digital Databus across those wires).  We've designed the system so that no additional/different wiring is necessary for that.

We probably want to talk with your installer before any wiring to verify we're all in agreement on the proper gauge wire and circuit breakers.  We can live with the existing wire gauge and CB sizing for retrofit installs but we have a slightly different preference for new installs.

And as noted in other entries/threads, ensure that at least one of your trays supports the "standard 530 TAWS" audio out wiring to the audio panel.  This will ensure you get the IFD540 aurals in your headset.

This next note may be too experimental in nature for what you're doing but we often slide GNS430/430Ws and IFD440s into one of our IFD540 trays and put in a spacer plate to hold the 430/440 in place.  As you may know, the top connectors are all identical between the 530 and 430 and likewise between the 540 and 440.  But in that case, you can fly with a 530 and 430 while waiting for the dual IFD540s to get shipped.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 2:12pm

... The windows version works fine on touchscreen but I'm not aware of any multi-touch windows touchscreens so we're holding off on distribution of that one right now.

And we simply haven't gotten to the Android variant yet.

Steve,

I've heard that the 540 is hybrid, touch/knobs! Please, please reconsider distributing the windows version, as I expect the android version is going to take a while.

With no windows or android version simulator, I will have to sit in the hangar and wear down my battery -- when the 540 actually arrives.

I am loath to send money to Apple, just to get my hands on the 540 simulator.

* Orest

Keezdisease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keezdisease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 2:39pm
Jake
The scenario that was happening was/is as follows
My original king stack was getting a little tired if you will, so I spoke with Red Eagle Avionics to do a used 530 install while we were waiting for the IFD 540 cert. while in the beginning of the install we were going to move my second nav com to the center stack form the right side of the panel. Knowing that we were doing a dual 540 install Dale decided to give me a 430 to use until the cert happens so he wouldn't have to change any of the wiring in the panel for the second 540. I let him know about the wire to the com and I will forward your last correspondance to him as well. I think that pretty much gets us up to speed as he is finishing the removal and new wiring as we speak. I do know tgat he is installing both new waas antennas this go around as well. Thanks for the help and I am perfectly fine keeping this on public forum so the rest of the customers can use this info as well.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 11:23pm
FYI:

I have a Windows tablet that has multi-touch.  It's an Acer tablet that I've had for a couple of years.  I run Seattle Avionics Voyager software on it.  I don't use it much anymore because I primarily use an iPad with Foreflight these days for my charts.  But there are Windows-based tablets with multi-touch.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2013 at 8:16am
Okay Chris, sounds like you guys are all set.  Probably still worth a quick chat with Dale to check on wire gauge and circuit breaker choices.

As for the touchscreen Windows version, that was a real "duh" on my part.   In fact, I have that exact Acer tablet machine (3 in fact) that we bought because it does do multi-touch that we initially used for IFD540 development before the Ipad app was working.  I'll have to dust that off and see if there is a viable means to distribute that software early.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
vuk3@me.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 9:32am
Hey there guys,
Are we any closer to a publishing a release date for the eagerly awaited boxes?
Cheers, and a happy new year to all.
A

Edited by vuk3@me.com - 02 Jan 2014 at 8:26am
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 12:08pm

Hi Jayson,

The upgrade process should be a breeze.  Every bit of software in the IFD540s are field loadable via the USB port on the front of the bezel/unit.  That means the software can be uploaded using a USB thumb drive.  We do it all the time during development and the whole process takes about 5 minutes.

This next part is not a done yet but, it is trending very nicely.   The FAA has just issued updated guidance about what types of actions the individual owner can perform on their aircraft and it appears that software updates, if using an approved Avidyne-supplied service bulletin, may (and I stress the word "may" right now) be permitted.  We are seeking clarification on that one but if that's true, that would even save the time/effort of you having to fly to an approved dealer to have that work done.  If, this new FAA-allowed owner update effort is not permitted for software updates, then it is still a simple process but involves your dealing loading, and signing off the software in accordance with the service bulletin.

The need for flight  testing before update signoff will depend on the nature of the update or functionality added.  The vast majority of the envisioned updates would not require a flight to sign off.

As for cost to upgrade, that too will depend on the nature of the new content.  Generally speaking, a bug fix load is no cost but a feature add load may have some cost associated with it.

When thinking about why to choose the 540 over the 750 (or the other way around), I'm still trying to understand where the 540 stands with respect to features the 750 already has, but are not in the initial 540 release.  From above, it sounds like displaying FIS-B on the 540 would be feature add with an associated cost, but that is an existing feature on the 750.  This has me wondering how much this cuts into the cost difference it I have to pay to upgrade the 540, but not the 750, maybe the delta is smaller than currently on paper.  Can you clarify if associated costs would apply to displaying fis-b?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 7:04pm
For the purpose of addressing Brou0040's fis-b question, I'm going to try and take a general and simplistic position/assumption and assume that the principal motivation for the question comes from equating "FIS-B" with "free weather".  I know a lot of folks chafe over the monthly subscription fees associated with North American-based weather datalink systems and want to replace or supplement those systems with "FIS-B" sourced "free" data.

Avidyne did lock in the feature set of the IFD540 a year or more ago to ensure it was a 530 replacement principally.  Of course we spent a lot of time looking at the GTN feature set knowing that while replacing the 530 was the motivation of the majority of customers, it would eventually (and maybe quickly) morph into competing with both the 530 and GTN feature sets.   That of course means we have a roadmap full of additional features for the IFD540 for future releases.

From a big picture position, fundamentally new features/capabilities are typically candidates for $ charge upgrades and bug fixes or minor feature tweaks are almost always no charge updates/upgrades.   It's a tradeoff that looks at a number of considerations and each release will be determined on a release-by-release basis.   For your specific question of whether FIS-B might be  no-charge upgrade when it comes to the IFD540, I don't have a specific yes/no answer.  We have not made a concrete decision - it will largely be dependent on what other feature set are included in that release and what the logistics involved might be.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 7:26pm
Thanks for the response, although it seems like new years day should be a holiday.  I can understand locking in the features in order to get through certification someday.  Yes it has morphed to competing with the GTNs.  I don't have a 530.  I was originally going to install a used 430W, but with the resale price and install, that doesn't make sense so I'm deciding between the GTN or the 540.  The delta between the 750 and 540 is small compared to getting just the 540+install so I'm trying to compare them and the cost (one of the reasons I wish for a 540 simulator since I'm playing with the GTN simulator now).  Yes I'm looking at getting subscription free weather.  Not knowing what the fis-b display will cost me with the 540 makes it difficult to compare to just putting in a 750.  I had another cost delta come up yesterday.  The 750 cost includes an antenna where 540 does not so that is also eating into the delta price.  Sorry for all the GTN comparisons, but they should be no surprise and I'm just trying to make an informed decision.

Edited by brou0040 - 01 Jan 2014 at 7:30pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 8:04pm
Of course I get that I'm biased but I will say that I fly with the GTN750 and the IFD540 in the same airplane every day and use both extensively.  I try to do every task on both units for comparison/contrast purposes.  I can also say I'm the only person in the world who can say that right now.

So that being said, when it comes to GTN comparisons, the IFD540 is vastly superior.  The IFD540 is so much easier to use and is such a better presentation of data and user interface that it really is an extension of you the pilot.  

It is true that a new install of a 540 (not a replacement of an existing 530) will require an extra cost of the WAAS antenna. I can't comment on whether the 750 comes with the antenna - I've long since forgotten and didn't take the time to look but take your word for it.

Both companies will continue to be in a feature set leap frog game for a long time - that's just the nature of the product update cycles.

Good luck (to both of us) on your decision.  I definitely know which one is the right one.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 6:28am
Since it's a new year just want to know, Where are we as far as the plan is concerned? (Notice I didn't say schedule) What's been accomplished and what's left ahead?

Did we get past the issues and have resolution on all of the 30 or so FAA issues that came out of the FAA flights?

Any chance of shipping the ifd540, amx240, and 340 trays ahead of the STC so I can get the tech to begin wiring my stuff up on then bench?

Edited by tony - 02 Jan 2014 at 6:40am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 8:35am
(2 Jan 2014 Status Update):

Updates in bold red below.  I stick by the externally consumable milestones earlier in this thread, namely:

1.  Receive, and react accordingly to, the FAA-generated MPSUE assessment of the unit.  This will likely drive some code changes but we won't know the magnitude until we get the official list from the FAA;  Done.   There are a few open items from that review but they won't be closed until TIA (described below).  None are considered to be any risk and we view it as a formality that has to wait until the TIA flight test.

2.  Achieve 100% DO-178B Code Complete status.   This is well beyond "feature complete".  DO-178B "Code Complete" means we've finished all the code review and requirement tracing of the code per the FAA-recognized software standard.   We can't finish this until we know the code is done changing.  Note that we're done with all the changes on our end, we're just reacting now to any mandated changes;  Done.  That was a giant nugget of DO-178 work and covered 1.2 million lines of code.

3.  Officially declare DO-160 Hardware Qual testing to be complete;  Almost done.  Expect to be officially done by end of Jan.  We had to re-do some testing once we looked at previous results and found there was a mistake in some of the initial test setup, thereby invalidating those tests.  We view this additional testing to be no risk and just a formality.

4.  Achieve "Red Label" status on the combined hardware/software system.  This means that all formal for-credit software and hardware testing have been completed.  In other words, this is a submittable-for-cert system;  This is the complete focus of the team at this point.  Everybody who can write and run format tests are doing that.   As a refresher, DO-178 is the Software Development standard that certified avionics must comply with.  It is a requirements-based development process that means every single line of code must be covered by a governing written requirement and every requirement must have an associated test written against it that proves the code does what the requirement calls for.    We also have to show that every single line of code can be called and that the system performs in a deterministic manner - this is called code coverage.  The software tests are also written to prove that every line of code gets hit.  This final test phase is what we're consumed with.  We have gobs of internal metrics that cover all aspects of this exercise but they are too far down in the weeds to provide here but this is the task that will determine when the system is ready for shipment.

5.  Complete official company "for-credit" flight testing of the final submittable system;  Waiting for #4 to conclude.  This will take 2ish weeks to complete.  Faster if good weather, slower if bad weather or maintenance issues.  We'll start that exercise slightly before #4 is complete for some schedule overlap.

6.  Complete FAA TIA (Type Inspection Authorization) testing.  This is the FAA's final exam of the complete system before they sign off on cert.  This one must wait until #5 is complete.  No real way to make this non-serial.  This one should take a few days.

7.  Make our final submissions to the FAA of 100% of the certification artifacts.  We've already submitted a number of those final artifacts but the last of that stuff can't go in until #6 is complete.

You will also see in Patrick's update coming soon that we've found a way to run a pilot program ahead of official cert so that pulls in deliveries by 3-6 weeks.  We've also found some internal build-out efficiencies in our factory that will pull in deliveries by another 4ish weeks.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 9:31am
Thanks for the update, and happy new year, Steve.

Sounds like a Q2 or maybe Q3 expectation of STC, shipping, installs...
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 9:31am
Happy New Year Steve, This year should prove to be great for Avidyne!

An observation on the DO-178 requirements that you must meet.  From my experience, it is a very rare occurance when a certified avionics platform exhibits software failures or has bugs in it.  It certainly isn't like flying your airplane with the reliability of Windows or an iPad.  I think this concept is one that many users don't fully understand with respect to the level of effort (compliance with DO-178) required.  I can tell you that although we users wish things can happen faster, I appreciate the confidence that these devices inspire knowing that they have been tested in this manner.  Thanks.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 9:36am
We are pretty far in to the testing step described in #4.  

I expect to be submitting everything to the FAA in Q1 and shipping in Q2.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 3:40pm
I'd rather wait for it to be perfect than have inferior equipment that crashes. I've flown some Honeywell stuff that is absolute garbage and should never have been certified as their FMS would crash and lock up or the FD and/or autopilots would wander around hunting. All the Collins and Universal equipment I have flown have worked flawlessly without problem. I was happy to see Avidyne is using some software similar to Collins. Nobody should sign off on anything they wouldn't put their own derrier, wife or kids in without hesitation.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 7:30pm
Believe it or not Joe, the Honeywell stuff on the 777, 717, etc was written to do-178. It's not so much the standard but the integrity of the company that makes a good product.
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 11:17pm
Happy New Year from Oz, Steve and thanks for the comprehensive update.

Looking very forward to the final release.

Victor
Mooney M20J
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 10:50am
In! Sent my payment and agreement for an IFD 540 yesterday. Looks like im 7th month of production.

Any word on the audio panel and/or transponder certification?
Wurtzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurtzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 11:09am
Joe.   Did u buy the box and audio panel.   Or just the box. And why.    And what is management telling you about when the 7th month will be....maybe I should address this to avijet..if so..I repeat my query...I'm about to pull the trigger....ty
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 11:58am
Just the 540. No actual dates, just 7th production month. Im still looking for a deal on a 430 or 530 in the interim and will be doing the install for the 540 soon. We just took delivery of our aircraft a week ago. Going to the avionics shop in a few days to form a plan of attack. I have an older PMA, 6000? and KT76A. I know the new Avidyne audio and txpdr might be slide in replacements for some units and the newer PMA with BT is a slide in replacement for some units also; need to do more homework in that area.

Edited by Joe Jet - 07 Jan 2014 at 10:09pm
Wurtzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurtzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 10:40pm
I don't know what soon is but April looks like the soonest...I have the Garmin 530 and u can get great prices for them now. 7-8 grand for waas..but as u get closer to delivery dates this spring..I believe that the Garmin 530 waas price will be around 3-4 thousand....I have no opinion except the longer you hold your Garmin the less u will get for the unit....if u pull the trigger now and the product is successful u can sell ur 530 for the avidyne 540 for little difference and get a 10x better product..

Good luck.   Jw
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 9:07am
I am hoping that the 430W I am replacing with a 540, will hold its value a little longer. I have no option to sell it now, as it would make the plane unsuitable for its mission.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 3:16pm
Status of COO's "thunder" message?
David Gates
Tim_M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

I agree with cascade..... and if you were around Tim, you would see that our inputs into the product are listened to, and the development schedule is status'd the best Steve can. Avidyne may not agree with our inputs or suggestions but we do have an audience. Tim perhaps you should read the pages and pages of what's here first before you insert your foot in your mouth again.

I was not going to reply to the foot in mouth comment but.... 

I made no comment about whether Avidyne was listening to customers.  I said that they weren't being as up front about delays and that Patrick owed those of us who invested 10 - 20$K (I am in for both boxes) to tell us what was up rather than waiting till he had something exciting to say.  I think "We missed the date again" is important enough rather than waiting another 3 months (Avijake said recently he expects to submit in Q1, not the same thing as January).

I did read the threads, though I saw no reason to go back to the previous delay dates to see how they handled it.  On 26 nov someone asked the status.  This was followed by guesses on the part of posters but nothing from Avidyne.  On 2 Dec someone said they could wait but were unhappy.  On 3 Dec Avijake only said anything about the Pilots guide.  On 10 Dec someone asked again the status and said obviously the end of year wouldn't happen.  That's when Avijake said Patrick was going to send us a letter. and said "for those parsing every sylable, we won't make Dec 31."

I put my money down in spite of a friend saying it was a bad idea because of the history of delays.  I will wait a bit and have not asked for my money back but may soon if I continue to feel strung along.  Avijake's detailed answer ws good but unfortunately followed by the more vague Q1 post.
co2bruce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote co2bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 8:04am
Beware of requesting your deposit back. I decided to go with another option after waiting a year and requested my deposit back in October 2013. I am still waiting for my check. Each time I call I get a silly run around and they are checking on it. It makes me wonder what the problem is at Avidyne :

They don't have the money to return to me ?
They are so unorganized they can't get the deposit returned?
They are just dishonest ?
All of these would concern me if I was a customer.

I have now waited patiently for 2 1/2 months. Avadyne at this time I can only beg you to live up to your word and send me back my deposit.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 9:14am
Hi Bruce,

I don't know what happened but I just spoke with the finance department and they showed me it's on the Friday check run.

Steve
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 7:49pm
Good Evening Steve,  

Sorry to bug you with Mickey Mouse stuff, but I will have the airplane opened up next week to install the Sensor Systems WAAS Antenna. Is there any place I could look to see what wire gauge and what size Circuit Breaker is ideal for the IFD 540 with a fifteen Watt transmitter and fed by a twenty-eight volt system? We installed what was called for in the 530 manual, but if it would be better to go to a higher gauge and/or a bigger Circuit Breaker, now is the time to do it.

Gotta get busy so I will be all set! <G> 

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 8:09am
Bob,

Will tackle that later today when I return to the office (currently stuck in NH waiting out the weather). With the 28v airplane, I recall we're recommending the exact same gauge and CB size as the 530. It's the 14v aircraft where we recommend a thicker wire and slightly higher CB for new installs. But, I'll double check when I make it back.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 10:46am
I picked up an EX5000 to integrate with my IFD540. Will that need any special wiring from the standard connections it would have with a 530?
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 11:20am
Good Morning Steve, 

Don't press it. We can wait. Enjoy your time in new Hampshire.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2014 at 11:50am
Joe Jet,

No special wiring required at all for the EX5000 to work with the IFD540.  If you send me your email, I can email you some pictures of the IFD540 driving the EX5000 in our lab.

sjacobson@avidyne.com

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 2:55pm
Hi Steve,

Your Dec 10 entry went as follows:

Patrick is looking forward toward sending out a letter on that topic to all pre-buyers or deposit holders in the next week or so.  I won't steal his thunder.

I will say, for those who are trying to parse every syllable however, that we won't make cert prior to 31 December 2013.

I'm one of the pre-buyers, haven't received anything from Patrick yet, and the week has become a month. What should I be expecting in this regard?

Regards,
Vince
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2014 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Hi Steve,

Your Dec 10 entry went as follows:

Patrick is looking forward toward sending out a letter on that topic to all pre-buyers or deposit holders in the next week or so.  I won't steal his thunder.

I will say, for those who are trying to parse every syllable however, that we won't make cert prior to 31 December 2013.

I'm one of the pre-buyers, haven't received anything from Patrick yet, and the week has become a month. What should I be expecting in this regard?

Regards,

+1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
  Share Topic