Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Navdata Error Anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Navdata Error Anyone?
    Posted: 11 Jul 2022 at 8:16pm
Has anyone else had problems uploading 2207 Navdata? I keep getting Error detected “Copy non RF Airway Label Files”

nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 6:07pm
Yes, today (Sunday 17Jul22) I downloaded my series 500 Nav data, for my 540, went to the aircraft, attempted to download the files,   the obstacles worked fine, but the nav data gave an error message, I attempted it twice, same result...I brought the USB drive home, re downloaded and will attempt it tomorrow, It sucked as I had to go, and I had obselete data....Good thing it was CAVOK...
I will report the outcome of the re download tomorrow.
Sauce
310pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 8:39pm
Thanks for the reply! Avidyne has said the specific error we are getting is because the changes the data for 10.3 in some of the data packets. They advised to keep trying the download until it goes away! I am 0-2 and airplane is gone for a couple more weeks before I can try #3. For what it’s worth, the error occurred toward the end of the data load and the Navdata did seem normal after the error data load. It’s obviously missing something but you wouldn’t know it by looking at it in flight. 
Did you get the same error message?

Edited by 310pilot - 17 Jul 2022 at 8:40pm
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:08am
Well, went to the plane, attempted an upload of the Navdata, NO JOY!
I now have a help request in at Jep...I will await their solution, I attempted to upload the file to their help system, but since the file suffix is "dsf" which is proprietary and their own creation, it can't upload...I am getting PO'd now, because I cant leave on a trip because of the mountains and navdata that is not current...
Sauce
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:49am
Jep reset my counter to download the file, that was their solution. To humor them I am going to go back to the hangar, attempt to upload the file again and take screen shots along the way... I requested help from Avidyne an hour ago, and am waiting for their reply... I will let you know what happens next.
Sauce
310pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 12:11pm
Yeah, I’m not holding my breath for the 3rd try of mine to work either. Ours sounds a little different because on IFD boot up it shows the current Navdata date even though there was an error in the upload. There are parts missing obviously though! FWIW here is Avidyne’s response:

Good Morning David, 

Thank you for letting me know. 

We are aware from other pilots who have reported this problem as well, our engineers are currently looking into this. 

Best Regards, 

William Rickert  
Field Service Representative | International & Military   
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 6:44pm
Ok, I just got a message from Jepp, they say this is an Avidyne problem, but Avidyne has not responded to my enquiry, what happens now?

Today, (Tuesday 19JUL22) attempted to call Avidyne again, went to phone jail after 20 mins on hold for Tech support.   Left name and number, wanted to tell them I sent message to them yesterday with no response.   I am wondering, if this has them bewildered, otherwise, why is there nothing posted on their web page about it?  Why haven't any of the Tech guys, (like "Steve Lindsley, Avidyne Engineering" he is usually pretty good with this kind of thing) put their pencil on the paper and told us that they are aware of the situation and handling it.

Ok, finally talked to a gentleman at Avidyne, he took my name, tel # and email address, he said he didn't see my request for tech support in his email q, but he already had an idea about the nature of the message, that I receive when I am attempting to upload the file, to the 540... I am guessing it is more than just a couple of us, at this point...Hopefully they will have a solution soon.   I want to go to Oshkosh at the end of the week, and out here in the Mountains, good nav data is a "must have"!

Edited by nrproces - 19 Jul 2022 at 11:05am
Sauce
bobcain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 7:40pm
Chiming in. I have two IFD440’s. The older one exhibits this issue and the newer one went without issue. My first step was to reset the Jepp data and download again. No go.
Not expecting third time’s a charm, I came to this board and find plenty of company. 

Perhaps age of unit has something to do with it?  First one has original logo and newer has new logo. New one is a year old and old is maybe five years old. 
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 10:57pm
I see a trend here, my 540 is a five+ year old one as well, I wonder if they have found that trend?

Thanks for the "chiming" in on the situation.

Edited by nrproces - 19 Jul 2022 at 10:59pm
Sauce
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 11:46am
Ok, well it appears that there are several other folks with this issue.  I received a message from HQ explaining that they are addressing the issue with Jepp currently.   They did not give me a timeline to expect a solution, but it appears that they are "working" on it.

I will remain optimistic for the present time, and note that it has "something" to do with the upgrade to the IFD's that we have been expecting...That is over my "need to know" however...
Sauce
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 1:47pm
With Navdata 2206, I had a flurry of RF something or other messages, but it seemed to download fine, and there was no error message at the end. I'm a little cautious about updating to 2207 now, don't have a pressing need presently.

Did others see an ERROR message at the end of the update process, as well?

I'm wondering if this has to do with the new RF capabilities coming in 10.3, and some of the boxes not quite ready for that.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Jul 2022 at 1:49pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 5:12pm
I've been looking into this.  There nav data DSFs do indeed have RF leg data in them in anticipation of the 10.3 release - they have for quite a while.  But the DSF is designed to not deliver the RF leg data to your IFD unless it has 10.3 

I'm still not quite sure why all of a sudden in 2206 and 2207 there started to be errors, though.  At this point,  I don't believe it is a Jeppesen issue.  I'm continuing to investigate looking for the common thread.

If you experience the problem, you can either shoot me an email or PM.  Tech support are also aware of the issue, so you can go through them as well.

Edited by AviSteve - 20 Jul 2022 at 5:14pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 9:02am
Clearly not everyone is affected.

When I updated with 2207 last week, one of the messages at the top of the screen during the update was something to the effect ".... loading navdata without RF legs" which made sense to me and gives the impression that the check for 10.3 has been done correctly and this would change as soon as 10.3 is installed in the box.

Maybe related to the actual (non-10.3) release installed in the IFD?
Vince
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Clearly not everyone is affected.

When I updated with 2207 last week, one of the messages at the top of the screen during the update was something to the effect ".... loading navdata without RF legs"

I saw the same message.  

Just a thought are you sure you are running the most current version of the Jeppessen software?
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2022 at 8:56am
Just another datapoint for Avidyne.  I updated my IFD540 to 2207 last night and all went well.  It's an older unit as I was a "pre-buy" customer.  It's at the current software version.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2022 at 4:52pm
FWIW, I updated to 2207, and yes, the message is "loading non-RF".

At least with my IFD, no error messages, all loaded fine. My startup logo is the "new" one, and I'm only one firmware update behind, didn't bother with the last one.

* Orest
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 8:34am
I, too, had issue with NavData 2207 upload two days ago - system hung at 99% 'loading navdata without RF legs'. I waited over a half hour for the stalled upload to complete. Called Tech support while keeping system alive without shutdown because I bricked my unit a few years back when I inadvertently turned off the master while a data update was in progress. 

Alas, I bumped the radio master while exiting the airplane to put on an external power source - after a couple of restarts of IFD and after choosing the remaining two data file uploads, the system complained once about NavData failing, then continued to function, with all data properly loaded. Tech support took 18 hours to respond to my 'AOG with IFD hung' request for help - and then didn't seem to know anything about the problem. In fact, I got another call an hour later from another tech who also didn't know anything about this issue. Hmmm. Perhaps due to Oshkosh, but this isn't how it used to be with support... 
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 8:40am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

I've been looking into this.  There nav data DSFs do indeed have RF leg data in them in anticipation of the 10.3 release - they have for quite a while.  But the DSF is designed to not deliver the RF leg data to your IFD unless it has 10.3 

I'm still not quite sure why all of a sudden in 2206 and 2207 there started to be errors, though.  At this point,  I don't believe it is a Jeppesen issue.  I'm continuing to investigate looking for the common thread.

If you experience the problem, you can either shoot me an email or PM.  Tech support are also aware of the issue, so you can go through them as well.

As of my experience 7/25-26 (see post below), two gents in Avidyne tech support have not received the "memo". Neither fellow knew what was up and what to do about it. I simply got lucky that my system didn't brick (it did once before on an interrupted data upload). A couple of restarts and selecting the remaining data loads and I am in business. A scare during this, however, when the splash screen didn't appear during a reboot. Powered off and on, and things returned to normal. I did not have to reload the NavData as the system reported it to be current and OK.

Well beyond ready for 10.3 update... since this is an issue attached to that update being needed in the IFD...
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by compasst compasst wrote:

As of my experience 7/25-26 (see post below), two gents in Avidyne tech support have not received the "memo".
I'll send them another reminder.  Thanks for the report.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
bocar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bocar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 3:05pm
Downloaded 2207 and everything went well IFD 440 reported everything correctly. on reboot powerup
got amber nav data expired Jul 14,2022. Today I downloaded 2208 and got the same response.  I haven't gotten any messages except successful.  On reboot I still get Amber Nav data expired Jul 14, 2022.

I hope we can get this issue resolved soon as our plane flies on average 3 times a week.

Bob Carson
Wings Over Winyah Flying Club
robert carson
bobcain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 12:40pm
First- Shout out to Steve helping with getting 2207 to go for me last month.
Second- I just completed 2208 without issue.
Figure everyone like at least a little good news. :)
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by bobcain bobcain wrote:

Figure everyone like at least a little good news. :)
I know I do :)
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
pilotken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilotken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 3:32pm
Success with 2208 here also!  Message at install was "copying non-rf navdata" and it worked fine.  Failed on 2206 and 2207.  No strange hangs or reboots seems to have taken a normal amount of time.
OS version is 10.2.4.1.  HW dates from around 2015?

Ken
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 9:28am
See above posting that I made to know the history of my experience with failed data transfers from USB into IFD. Yesterday I attempted to transfer the 2208 data - the IFD 540 queries the Avidyne thumb drive that I have had since the unit was new the winter after it was introduced at Oshkosh. The IFD displays that it is querying the drive, then displays black screen and reboots. Repeated many times.

I called tech support and was told that the on-board compact flash card needs to be re-loaded. Hmmm... Did the failed (and shutdown because the IFD hung on the failure for nearly an hour) mess up the on-board memory card? Fortunately I bought an extended warranty on my Avidyne systems so I am thinking of sending it in to the factory and let them go over everything while figuring out the issue - and maybe even get the update to 10.3 in the process.

Additional info - I just talked with Jepp support - that person had no knowledge of nor information about the problem reported on this forum of data transfer hanging with the NavData and non-rf data.

I looked at the file contents of the USB drive (Avidyne thumb drive that came with the IFD) and discovered some 30 1-KB files whose names were all single character and whose file dates were all in the 1980s. These file were not there prior to my issues reported in this thread.

I requested and received the unlimited download setting on my JDM so that I can continue to explore and resolve my issues. I have created a second USB drive to try later today and have deleted all the single KB, single character named files from the original USB. I will attempt to load that USB first, and if that fails, I will try the second USB that I created just now. Stand by for results later this morning.

Update - the 8 GB Avidyne-labeled drive could not be cleaned (by deleting) of the single-KB, single-character files, so I reformatted the drive in 4096 sector size.

Further update - SUCCESS!  Reformatted USB drive worked. No need to reload compact flash card on 540 box. Whew!

Edited by compasst - 16 Aug 2022 at 1:58pm
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 10:19pm
Just a note for Steve,
I just installed the latest jep download, have not flown for a couple of weeks, circumstances...

Just to let you know, this one had "no" errors and loaded normally...Whatever you did, fixed the problem.

THANKS
Sauce
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic