Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10.3 Released!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 10:33am
Others have reported this. avidyne is aware of it and is looking into it.  In the meantime, your most recent frequencies are still saved on the “recent frequency” tab. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 10:35am
Originally posted by TXCARGY TXCARGY wrote:

I have noticed after the install of 10.3 that once the power is turned off I lose the com freq. that I was last on and when powered up a default com freq comes on of 118.2 instead of the last freq I was using.

Do I have a setting wrong that I'm unaware of? 

Edited by AviSteve - 07 Sep 2022 at 10:36am
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by TXCARGY TXCARGY wrote:

I have noticed after the install of 10.3 that once the power is turned off I lose the com freq...

A known bug. It defaults to the Freqs for KMLB TWR & DEP. Probably why it wasn't noticed.

* Orest

doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 7:20pm
I have the IFD 550/540 combo.  I was hoping to be able to send a frequency to the #2 from the #1 from the FMS page.  Is this not possible?  In the webinar they were talking about frequency transfer being useful for tandem aircraft, but I'm a little unclear on how this works.  

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by doog doog wrote:

I have the IFD 550/540 combo.  I was hoping to be able to send a frequency to the #2 from the #1 from the FMS page.  Is this not possible?  In the webinar they were talking about frequency transfer being useful for tandem aircraft, but I'm a little unclear on how this works.  
You'll need to enable the "Remote IFD Tuning" option on the Setup Page (under the Radio category).  At that point, the com radios from the other IFD can be accessed by pressing the left knob (just like Nav radios are accessed).  Once displayed, turning the knobs will adjust the frequency for the radio on the other IFD.  See page 1-32 in the 500 series Pilot Guide for full explanation.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

You'll need to enable the "Remote IFD Tuning" option on the Setup Page (under the Radio category).  At that point, the com radios from the other IFD can be accessed by pressing the left knob (just like Nav radios are accessed).  Once displayed, turning the knobs will adjust the frequency for the radio on the other IFD.  See page 1-32 in the 500 series Pilot Guide for full explanation.

Thanks.  Another feature request:  I'd like to select the frequency on the airport information tab->frequencies page, select the frequency and have the option to send it to standby on either IFD1 or IFD2.  
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 9:39pm
I had the same problem, the first unit updated successfully. the second one hung up on the GPS app, had a bunch of red and missing numbers on the conformity check. Tried again and stopped at the same place. Ran the goldmaster and then it updated fine. I had made an appointment to have the CF card flashed but cancelled it today.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 9:03am
Maybe last post should be to 10.3 upgrade issues thread, rather than 10.3 released thread.
Vince
rjevansuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjevansuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 2:38pm
Hi,
We have an IFD540, we upgraded to 10.3 last week. We use SkyDemon. And we have one user who uses the IFD100 app to plan at home and transfer to the 540. One of our members used the plane over the weekend. He could not get SkyDemon to connect to the 540. I told him that he needed to turn on the Wi-Fi in the setup menu. He could not get it to work.

Is there a problem with the connectivity with SkyDemon?

Is there any instructions or video how to connect the iPad to the 540?
Having checked the IFD documentation page, all of the documents are for the previous version.
I will be flying the plane tomorrow so I hope to be able to setup the IFD to work with SkyDemon and the IFD100 app.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by rjevansuk - 12 Sep 2022 at 2:41pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 2:52pm
Did you review the webinar that announced 10.3 availability? It included detailed instructions on the new steps for properly setting up wifi with 10.3 and also how to retrieve the new PG.
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by rjevansuk rjevansuk wrote:

Is there a problem with the connectivity with SkyDemon?
Yes there is.  On its own, SkyDemon will not connect to the IFD.  Therefore, SkyDemon will not get information from the IFD (e.g. GPS position) nor will it be able to send data to the IFD (e.g. flight plans).  I've been in contact with Tim Dawson of SkyDemon and he is aware of the problem and the solution.

In the interim, fortunately, there is a workaround.  The problem is that SkyDemon isn't announcing its presence to the IFD.  Therefore, the IFD isn't aware that there's a device connected with an app that wants to share data and doesn't have an opportunity to ask the user to accept or reject the connection to that device.  But if you start the IFD100 app on the same device on which SkyDemon is loaded, then the IFD will recognize the device and you can accept the connection.  Once that's done, start SkyDemon and it will communicate normally.  You can stop the IFD100 if you like.  It's a temporary solution, but at least you'll be able to use SkyDemon until a fix is published.

Of course, that workaround only works on an iPad since IFD100 is only on that platform.  If you're running on Android, the same technique could work, but it would require another Android app that has the capability to connect with an IFD.

Edited by AviSteve - 12 Sep 2022 at 5:29pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
rjevansuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rjevansuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 4:16pm
Thanks Vince, I will look at the video.
ColinW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 8:55am
I use both ForeFlight and SkyDemon connected at the same time.  SD needs to be opened first, otherwise it reports that the address is already in use.  Although I select ‘Avidyne IFD’ in location services, I think it is starting FF that really opens the connection.
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 1:03pm
That is a glaring bug that I guess they overlooked as it stays on the melborne tower freq where the AVIDYNE factory is located. it is annoying but fix is supposed to be in the works.

Claude

Claude
NC-Mooney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC-Mooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 8:30pm
Where did you find the file? I have the same problem.

It is not the destination, It’s the Journey.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 11:11am
Originally posted by NC-Mooney NC-Mooney wrote:

Where did you find the file? I have the same problem.
What file?  What problem?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 12:28pm
Is there a way to disable the Obstacles database, similar to the Charts database? The previous owner had a navdata, charts and obstacles subscription. I only have a navdata subscription, so every time the unit powers up I get a warning about charts and obstacles being out of date and the extra button pushes to proceed. 10.3 lets me disable the charts database, but if I understand correctly, I will continue to encounter the problem with the obstacles database. I wish Jepp had a combined navdata/obstacles subscription at a good price. Seems navdata and obstacles should be one product. For now, I use Foreflight for charts and obstacles.  

I am waiting for more details on the com frequency issue before installing 10.3. If there is a fix coming out, I can wait for it before proceeding. If it will be easier than doing a full installation, like a installing a small def file, I could install 10.3 now. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

Is there a way to disable the Obstacles database, similar to the Charts database? The previous owner had a navdata, charts and obstacles subscription. I only have a navdata subscription, so every time the unit powers up I get a warning about charts and obstacles being out of date and the extra button pushes to proceed. 10.3 lets me disable the charts database, but if I understand correctly, I will continue to encounter the problem with the obstacles database. I wish Jepp had a combined navdata/obstacles subscription at a good price. Seems navdata and obstacles should be one product. For now, I use Foreflight for charts and obstacles.  

I am waiting for more details on the com frequency issue before installing 10.3. If there is a fix coming out, I can wait for it before proceeding. If it will be easier than doing a full installation, like a installing a small def file, I could install 10.3 now. 
No you can't disable the obstacles database.  Good idea about a nav/obstacle bundle.  I'll suggest that to Jeppesen and see if we can work something out.

I don't have a schedule for 10.3 fixes (e.g. the frequency issue).  it will be the same process as we use for all of our software releases.  How big it is will depend on when it happens, but it will be *way* less impact than the upgrade from 10.2.x.x to 10.3.0.2.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 5:30pm
Thanks. It would be great if Jepp will do something about the obstacles. I don't find charts all that legible in my IFD540 on my 182. Obstacles should just come with the navdata even if a separate file and slightly higher cost. However, they shouldn't cost almost as much as navdata.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 6:18pm

I don't have a schedule for 10.3 fixes (e.g. the frequency issue).  it will be the same process as we use for all of our software releases.  How big it is will depend on when it happens, but it will be *way* less impact than the upgrade from 10.2.x.x to 10.3.0.2.

I really hope the frequency bug isn't put on the list for the next release such that it will take another year or so.  This is something that got broken in this latest release, and in my opinion should be FIXED as soon as possible (i.e. - 10.3.0.3, or whatever).  No, it's not the end of the world, but it is a deviation from the way it has operated since day 1.  I've inadvertently transmitted on 118.2 a couple of times already.  I find this to be a major frustration.  Don't get me wrong -- I'm not trying to be a whiner or complainer.  I was an early adopter (2014) and I love my IFD, but this seems to be a clear defect in the latest update.

There is a difference between waiting patiently for new features, and waiting for a deficiency to be corrected.
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 9:18am
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

I really hope the frequency bug isn't put on the list for the next release such that it will take another year or so.  This is something that got broken in this latest release, and in my opinion should be FIXED as soon as possible (i.e. - 10.3.0.3, or whatever).  No, it's not the end of the world, but it is a deviation from the way it has operated since day 1.  I've inadvertently transmitted on 118.2 a couple of times already.  I find this to be a major frustration.  Don't get me wrong -- I'm not trying to be a whiner or complainer.  I was an early adopter (2014) and I love my IFD, but this seems to be a clear defect in the latest update.

There is a difference between waiting patiently for new features, and waiting for a deficiency to be corrected.

+1
I really hope Avidyne considers an update just to fix this issue.  Having to reset the last frequency at every startup sounds like a huge PITA.  I am holding off on updating to 10.3 for now because of this issue.  I hope this fix comes quickly.

David

Edited by 94S - 15 Sep 2022 at 9:19am
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:16pm
We've decided to wait on 10.3 until the frequency issue is fixed.  I would love to know it the wait is measured in months, quarters, or years???
Jim Patton
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by 94S 94S wrote:

... Having to reset the last frequency at every startup sounds like a huge PITA. 

Yet another "first world" problem! ;-)

Sure, it is a nuisance, probably a little embarrassing, but it will be fixed. And honestly, if you are affected it is pretty easy to just grab and nominate the previous freqs from the FREQ  | RECENT list.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 22 Sep 2022 at 3:16pm
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:55pm
It's an annoyance, sure. But there are so many other useful features in 10.3 that I'm OK with tolerating the minor pain of reloading my frequencies. Visual approaches, FIS-B lightning and cloud tops, and marking the wifi as "no Internet"… those 3 alone are enough to make the upgrade a big win for me, and there's lots of other goodness in it too.

When I depart my home airport, at a minimum I'll be tuning ATIS, clearance, ground, tower, and departure. Even if the IFD retained its last 2 frequencies, that would only give me tower and ground, so I'd be knobbin' anyway (or using COM2).
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 3:03pm
I'm very surprised we haven't seen a fix for the frequency issue by now.  Now that they know exactly how the problem manifests, they should be able to track it down rather quickly and find out what was changed to cause this new and unwanted behavior.  I really hate being reminded that my IFD-540 is screwed up every time I power it up.

Rationalize it all you want, call it a "first world problem", but that just seems like a fanboy response to me.  I'm certainly an Avidyne fanboy myself, but I don't see any need to cut them slack.  They are a top tier avionics manufacturer, and they need to be held to a high standard - anything less isn't fair to them or us.

Let's face it, this was a major screw up for Avidyne.  10.3 was shown at Oshkosh 2021, and was being tested since then, yet this problem slipped through.  I see two main concerns:

1. Something happened with the code that created an undesired, and unintended result.
2. This result was not caught in all of the extensive testing that was done.

This of course begs the question, "what else got messed up that wasn't caught during testing?"

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 3:09pm
Well, fan boy or otherwise, coming from a programming background, I know there is no such thing as software with no bugs. It is just a matter of how soon you find them.

This is a really awkward one, I entirely agree. Kind of in your face, but at least relatively harmless.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Sep 2022 at 3:10pm
MacCool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MacCool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:22pm
FYI -I am advised that there is at least one issue with this release - on some (but apparently not all) units, the COM frequencies do not persist across power cycles but instead default to 118.2 and 132.65 on power up. Not a fatal problem but definitely annoying. Avidyne is reportedly aware of the issue.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by MacCool MacCool wrote:

.... the COM frequencies do not persist across power cycles

You are a little late to the party!! ;-)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Sep 2022 at 9:49pm
AndyMeyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyMeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 10:45pm
Currently have serial fed Capstone HS Wx+Trfc. I heard a rumor this breaks in 10.3 - is that the case?

I might be able to live with the broken frequency issue for a few months - though REALLY irritating. The loss of hard wired data from my stratux to the IFD would be a non-starter. That is an awesome feature for me... Maybe the WiFi will eliminate this need, but I'm not sold yet.

Do we have a comprehensive bug list vs. feature list yet?
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:14am
I don't consider myself a fanboy, and frankly it's a little insulting to label anyone who doesn't agree that this is a cRItiCaL sAFEty of flIGhT iSSuE as a "fanboy."

I've been a software developer, architect, and product manager for 40+ years. I have shipped large commercial applications, and some of them have had embarrassing bugs in them despite our very best efforts in testing and certification. It happens. It happens whether or not you have the FAA up in your grille. It happens no matter what your CMMI maturity level is. It happened yesterday, it's happening right now, and it'll still be happening decades from now. In the grand scheme of things, this is a minor blip.

I am sure there were and are some red faces at Avidyne about this. Probably some people got yelled at. They are not as public and transparent about their bugs as some other companies, so I doubt we'll ever see a proper PIR. But they're more so than Aspen or Garmin or S-TEC (ask someone from Garmin about GFC500 servo infant mortality and see what they say!)

This too shall pass. Meanwhile, the other improvements in 10.3 are worthwhile and I am not concerned about its fitness for purpose as a primary navigation method.

Edited by paulr - 24 Sep 2022 at 11:15am
bradthepilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by AndyMeyer AndyMeyer wrote:

Currently have serial fed Capstone HS Wx+Trfc. I heard a rumor this breaks in 10.3 - is that the case?

I might be able to live with the broken frequency issue for a few months - though REALLY irritating. The loss of hard wired data from my stratux to the IFD would be a non-starter. That is an awesome feature for me... Maybe the WiFi will eliminate this need, but I'm not sold yet.

Do we have a comprehensive bug list vs. feature list yet?

I have a ticket open on this now; in my case it's hardwired to an EchoUAT used as an ADS-B receiver.   Has been working well with 10.2 for some time; stops working with 10.3 after about 15 minutes or so.   Power-cycling the IFD gets it working again, for a short while.  

Thus far Avidyne has been great to work with trouble shooting this.  
Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 10:31am
Does the STC require 10.3 for the IFD 540 to work with the Garmin GI-275?

Jim
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 9:33am
Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

Does the STC require 10.3 for the IFD 540 to work with the Garmin GI-275?

Jim
No.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 10:43am
Is anyone receiving tfc and wx on the IFD via Capstone/GDL90 over wifi? According to the release notes this should now work with 10.3. If so, could you post a couple pictures of the IFD in that config?

Any difficulties getting this to work? What is the portable device being used?
Vince
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 2:57pm
tried it, then gave up on it.

Using Stratus 3i. -- My setup also required that Foreflight be able to access the traffic/wx.  (that is what made it unstable in my opinion)

It did sort of work, but was not stable. -- looking forward to a day when Foreflight plays nice with open-adsb.  (not holding my breath)
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2023 at 4:31pm
Works fine for me, using a Stratus-3. I don’t have any problem using both ForeFlight and the IFD as Stratus wireless clients in Open-ADSB mode. It’s slightly annoying that ForeFlight keeps asking if you want to switch the Stratus to “ForeFlight mode”, but you just need to choose the cancel option. I believe ForeFlight has acknowledged this issue and will fix it in the future.

There are two gotchas I ran into; you must have the Stratus device booted up prior to powering on the IFD, as it will try to connect immediately to the last network it used, and if it doesn’t find it, it will revert to normal broadcast mode. 

The second is that you must allow access from both the Stratus device and a client iPad in order for things to work between all three units. It’s possible that if you let the IFD boot up into broadcast mode and then later connect it to a Stratus device in client mode, you may have to re-allow each previously permitted device, but you should see the request to connect on the IFD.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic