Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10.3 Upgrade Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10.3 Upgrade Issues
    Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 8:05pm
Hi folks

Updated the 540 yesterday with no problems, i.e. Running Comforming Software and No RED checksums.

1) Problem #1: Active and Standby COM frequencies are not saved during power cycles.
     Worked fine prior to upgrade to 10.3

2) Problems #2:  I have a Skyradar ADS-B in receiver that was configured as a Remote WiFi on the previous version and the LIO as the Hot Spot.
Now it appears that the two are mutually exclusive.  I can connect to the IFD OR to the Skyradar.  
If I connect to the Skyradar then the IFD100 app will not connect to the IFD.

What is going on?

Gene
Gene
klevins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klevins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 10:37am
Confirmed that I also see radio frequencies not persistent across a power cycle. 

Have you seen the cross-sync issue I mentioned in the other 10.3 thread? That’s where I cannot enter a direct to via convenience keyboard on the second unit. It’s a really strange glitch. Everything else works, including entering radio frequencies via cross-sync.

Edited by klevins - 03 Sep 2022 at 10:42am
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 1:07pm
I just checked and yes, the 118.2/132.65 frequencies seem to be the power-on defaults. How the heck could something so obvious get missed!! What is Avidyne's answer to this? I assume it's a mistake, and I assume we'll have ANOTHER update to correct it.
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 4:57pm
I have not tried the cross-sync since I only have the 540.

I think I can shed some additional light on the Remote Wifi issue.

Apparently there is a new Unlock called "PORTS" that on my unit is not highlighted, i.e.  Not Enabled.

This unlock was not present on the previous software versions.  PORTS is supposed to allow ADS-B in Receivers such as Stratus 3 to send FIS B and TIS B data over WiFi.

So my question is, for those of us that were getting ADS-B In data, in my case via the WiFi from Skyradar, are we going to get a new configuration file to enable the "PORTS"?

Gene
Gene
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

I just checked and yes, the 118.2/132.65 frequencies seem to be the power-on defaults. How the heck could something so obvious get missed!!

Simple ...

Avidyne is co-located at the Melbourne Fl airport. Check the KMLB TWR/CTAF & DEP/APP frequencies!

This is called "human factors".  ;-)

Well, should be easy to fix.

* Orest

KMLB Melbourne Orlando International Airport
Melbourne, Florida, USA

Airport Communications

CTAF: 118.2
UNICOM: 122.95
ATIS: 132.55
WX ASOS: 132.55 (321-951-7575)
MELBOURNE GROUND: 121.9 [0600-2400]
MELBOURNE TOWER: 118.2 257.8 124.05 [0600-2400]
ORLANDO APPROACH: 132.65
ORLANDO DEPARTURE: 132.65
CLEARANCE DELIVERY: 121.9 132.65 ;WHEN MLB TWR CLSD
BITHO STAR: 128.375
JOKRS STAR: 134.05
MELBOURNE DP: 132.65
PRICY STAR: 134.05
VFR ADZY: 118.2
WX AWOS-3 at X59 (10 nm SE): 122.725
WX AWOS-3 at COI (14 nm N): 119.025 (321-986-8864)
WX AWOS-3PT at X26 (19 nm SE): 118.125 (772-388-5689)

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Sep 2022 at 5:56pm
kurtfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurtfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 6:38pm
2) Problems #2:  I have a Skyradar ADS-B in receiver that was configured as a Remote WiFi on the previous version and the LIO as the Hot Spot.
Now it appears that the two are mutually exclusive.  I can connect to the IFD OR to the Skyradar.  
If I connect to the Skyradar then the IFD100 app will not connect to the IFD.

Did you go to the AUX, SETUP page and allow both IP addresses in the DEVICE tab?
I noticed a Green box pops up in the lower RH and says " Connect Req xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (IP address).  You have to go to User Setup to allow connections.

Kurt
Kurt
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 1:37am
This is an EZ (though obscure) Fix. You need to go to AUX AudioTab then go to the COM preselect list.You can then load like 10 preselect freqs on the COM and NAV side. Basically this is setup to be able to toggle through different freqs with a puch to talk type switch, but whatever freq you put in the #1 position, it will default to that freq when when you power up. I set mine to 122.9 as my home freq.

Hope that helps

Claude
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 8:53am
If the frequencies do not persist over a power cycle, I think I may skip the update for now. While the idea of putting your home frequency in the preset list is a good one, I can see it being annoying to power up at a another airport and have to re-enter the ground control and tower frequencies.
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 11:02am
I also have skyradar, which has this problem as well
Sauce
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 11:55am
Some more testing results.

Regarding the "PORTS" Unlock, a new configuration file is not needed to enable it.

You have to go to Page 15 of the configuration page in Maintenance mode and Enable Capstone for Configured Devices under Wireless Portables.

After doing that then the "PORTS" unlock will be highlighted.

The issues still exists of not being able to have the IFD in "host" mode ( Local WiFi) and the portable device in Remote WiFi, in other words, it looks like you can be in either Local WiFi OR Remote WiFi, but not both.

Furthermore, it looks like it only accepts CAPSTONE protocol from portable devices.

Gene
Gene
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by eallevato eallevato wrote:

The issues still exists of not being able to have the IFD in "host" mode ( Local WiFi) and the portable device in Remote WiFi, in other words, it looks like you can be in either Local WiFi OR Remote WiFi, but not both.

I don't get the sense of your statement, can you enlarge on that? Clearly, your IFD could not be in Local Wifi and Remote Wifi modes, both, at the same time. What do you mean there?

I have a Stratus in the plane that acts as the hot spot, and my IFD logs in to it, as well as a tablet I use as EFB. Gets weather and traffic to the tablet, and I can upload/download flight plans from the IFD. The reason for that topology is to keep the Stratus/FF combo happy.

Unfortunately the portable ADS-B is encrypted from my Stratus 2S, so it will never get to the IFD. A Stratus 3 can send Capstone, but if FF is present, it will insist on the Stratus being in proprietary mode as well, for its own purposes. Apparently FF is aware of this issue.

Being in Canada I don't rely much on US ADS-B, and use Sirius for weather and have active traffic installed, but it might be nice to have that facility.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Sep 2022 at 1:00pm
wildbilll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildbilll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 2:24pm
Got my initial issues connecting a wireless ADSB-IN (Stratux) device fixed. Thanks to those who replied to my post.
I can confirm the IFD440 does not retain the last frequencies used. It reverts to the Melbourne FL frequencies. This is a minor annoyance compared to the features added.

I have a Stratus 3. I put it into "Open ADSB" using the Stratus Horizon app on my iPhone.
I was able to connect it to the IFD440 and when I opened Foreflight, it immediately complained, it wanted to know if I wanted to switch it back to the original mode. I declined that and the dialog closed, it then worked with the GDL90 feed.

Edited by wildbilll - 04 Sep 2022 at 2:26pm
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

I don't get the sense of your statement, can you enlarge on that? Clearly, your IFD could not be in Local Wifi and Remote Wifi modes, both, at the same time. What do you mean there?

I have a Stratus in the plane that acts as the hot spot, and my IFD logs in to it, as well as a tablet I use as EFB. Gets weather and traffic to the tablet, and I can upload/download flight plans from the IFD. The reason for that topology is to keep the Stratus/FF combo happy.

Unfortunately the portable ADS-B is encrypted from my Stratus 2S, so it will never get to the IFD. A Stratus 3 can send Capstone, but if FF is present, it will insist on the Stratus being in proprietary mode as well, for its own purposes. Apparently FF is aware of this issue.

Being in Canada I don't rely much on US ADS-B, and use Sirius for weather and have active traffic installed, but it might be nice to have that facility.

* Orest

Prior to 10.3 The 540 was setup as a Local Wifi (LIO).  That meant that the IFD 100 app could connect to it, once you Joined your Ipad to the LIO.   Additionally, the SkyRadar ADS-B in receiver was setup as a Remote WiFi, which meant that ADS-B data would "pass thru the IFD" to my FlyQ EFB.  In other words, I could connect the IFD100 app AND FlyQ EFB to the LIO and the FlyQ would get ADS-B data from the Skyradar ADS-B in receiver.

With 10.3, it appears that they eliminated the "pass-thru" functionality.  They allow you to connect to the IFD OR the Skyradar. 

With the above configuration the IFD100 will never see the 540's WiFi.

Edited by eallevato - 04 Sep 2022 at 2:48pm
Gene
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 3:52pm
AFAIK - none of the previous IFD software versions would let you run the IFD as both a WiFi network client and WiFi network host simultaneously either.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by wildbilll wildbilll wrote:

I have a Stratus 3. I put it into "Open ADSB" using the Stratus Horizon app on my iPhone.
I was able to connect it to the IFD440 and when I opened Foreflight, it immediately complained, it wanted to know if I wanted to switch it back to the original mode. I declined that and the dialog closed, it then worked with the GDL90 feed.

Did you lose any function in the FF app with that setup? The secondary stuff, like the attitude display, being able to control settings in the Stratus, and so on?

* Orest
kurtfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurtfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 4:45pm
You also have to allow the connection in the DEVICES tab.  Click on the  +DEVICES and set connection to ALWAYS.

Edited by kurtfly - 04 Sep 2022 at 4:54pm
Kurt
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 5:15pm
I figure they will fix the NAV and COM defaults shortly.
My problem is getting my IPADS (one running IDF100 and the other Forflight) through the Levill BOM Capstone compatible) software. I got this to work pretty reliable with 10.2 but the setup is totally different this time around. Anybody out hhere that has this working with any Capstone compatable product (ie, Levill BOM, Strutux Stratus 3 etc, could you post a screenshot of your setup?

Claude
kurtfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurtfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 5:56pm
yes- I got it to work with a Stratus

Config page - Wireless Portables = Capstone = ENABLED
after reboot:
Go to AUX page, SEUTP, WiFI = ON,
NETWORKS = STRATUS network CONNECTED
DEVICES = allow IP address to ALWAYS.

Kurt
wildbilll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildbilll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 8:57am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Originally posted by wildbilll wildbilll wrote:

Did you lose any function in the FF app with that setup? The secondary stuff, like the attitude display, being able to control settings in the Stratus, and so on?

* Orest
Yes, I lost those things.

Edited by AviSteve - 06 Sep 2022 at 11:14am
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 10:32am

Prior to 10.3 The 540 was setup as a Local Wifi (LIO).  That meant that the IFD 100 app could connect to it, once you Joined your Ipad to the LIO.   Additionally, the SkyRadar ADS-B in receiver was setup as a Remote WiFi, which meant that ADS-B data would "pass thru the IFD" to my FlyQ EFB.  In other words, I could connect the IFD100 app AND FlyQ EFB to the LIO and the FlyQ would get ADS-B data from the Skyradar ADS-B in receiver.

With 10.3, it appears that they eliminated the "pass-thru" functionality.  They allow you to connect to the IFD OR the Skyradar.
Prior to 10.3, you had to set up the WiFi configuration options in Maintenance mode.  You could set up a "local" network where the IFD established the network and clients connected to it, or a "remote" network to which the IFD could connect.  Back in flight mode, however, you had to choose one of those options.  it was never the case that the IFD was in both "local" and "remote" mode.

So on the Display Setup page in your 10.2.x.x IFD, did you have local network (e.g. LIO_WIFI) selected or did you have a remote network selected?  I'm guessing you had a remote network selected and that network was hosted by your SkyRadar.  If that's the case, then with your 10.3 IFD, on the Setup Page under the Networks category, you should see the network SSID being broadcast by the SkyRadar.  Scroll to that network, then press the "Connect" LSK.  Once the connection has been established, you can connect FlyQ to the SkyRadar SSID.  At that point, you should be able to transfer flight plans, etc. between the IFD and FlyQ and FlyQ should get ADS-B data from the SkyRadar.  As an additional benefit with 10.3, the IFD can also display the ADS-B in data from the SkyRadar.

If I don't have the assumptions right or if that's not working for you, let me know either by reply post or PM.

Sorry late to the party.  10.3 release date didn't match up very well with my Labor Day weekend plans...

Edited by AviSteve - 06 Sep 2022 at 10:34am
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
kurtfly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurtfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 10:49am
"1) Problem #1: Active and Standby COM frequencies are not saved during power cycles.
     Worked fine prior to upgrade to 10.3"

What about this problem?  How long till a fix for this?

2)   Is allowing Dynon Skyview ADS-B data on the IFD in the future?  I cannot be much different as it links fine to Foreflight?

Kurt
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 11:34am
Originally posted by kurtfly kurtfly wrote:

"1) Problem #1: Active and Standby COM frequencies are not saved during power cycles.

2)   Is allowing Dynon Skyview ADS-B data on the IFD in the future?  I cannot be much different as it links fine to Foreflight?

1) I don't have a time frame for a fix at this point, but clearly we know of the problem.  Not all IFDs are affected.

2) I'm surprised this doesn't work.  We'll have to get in touch with the Dynon folks and figure out what the issue is.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 3:45pm
@AviSteve: Same issue seen by my updated IFDs:  Active and Standby COM freqs not saved over power cycles

Also:
- I have SAR enabled and it appears that I can no longer edit orbit details (radius, l/r turn) via the updated 10.3 IFD 100 app... however, I have no problem editing them on the IFD itself.   I could edit the orbits in 10.2 IFD 100. 
- I have noticed that my MFD will sometimes draw only a half-circle when I have input an orbit around a waypoint... eventually, the MFD draws the complete circle so no biggie... but just FYI, I never saw that in 10.2 land... 

Edited by ansond - 06 Sep 2022 at 3:47pm
edubes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 7:14pm
After update in an Avidyne SR 22 not getting input from Icarus blind encoder on either 550 or 440. Channel 1 RS232 set to Icarus-alt in and aviation out. No bytes coming in on status. Tried pulling encoder breaker twice. Has anyone else seen this?
edubes
edubes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 7:48am
It is asking for my stratus password. Where to I find that?
edubes
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 10:08am
Originally posted by edubes edubes wrote:

It is asking for my stratus password. Where to I find that?
What's asking for a Stratus password?

I'm not sure if this is true for all Stratus boxes, but whenever I've connected the IFD to a Stratus network in our lab, the Stratus network has no password.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
edubes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 10:11am
Any thoughts on it not getting Icarus blind encoder information despite correct configuration settings. 
edubes
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 10:32am

Any thoughts on it not getting Icarus blind encoder information despite correct configuration settings. 
I know of several customers who are using the Icarus encoder and have not heard of any new issues.  I'd ask if you're sure the Icarus is really connected to port 1, but I'm sure you've checked that.  My suggestion on that is to call tech support and have them look into your specific installation.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
vaillankm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaillankm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 1:48pm
I also have the comm freq reverting back to Melborne freqs.  Just got finished updating my IFD 540.  Haven’t hadachance yetto see what the pass through will be like for the ipad and stratus 3.
Marc V at KBED
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 3:27pm
In 10.4 I'd like to see a feature that figures out what frequency I *should* have at startup based on where I am. Just like we have GeoFill™ we can call it GeoFreq™ or something.

Edited by paulr - 07 Sep 2022 at 5:12pm
doog View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 4:44pm

1) Problem #1: Active and Standby COM frequencies are not saved during power cycles.
     Worked fine prior to upgrade to 10.3

Oh bummer.  Just updated mine and have this same problem.  Annoying!

ejacobsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejacobsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 7:29pm

Mine has popped that error up a couple times, but my recollection is that my transponder was off at the time.   I'll keep an eye out if it comes up again what the issue might be.

This post was not authorized by me and is likely erroneous.
edubes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 9:07pm
Please let me know. Very frustrating.
edubes
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 5:23am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

1) I don't have a time frame for a fix at this point, but clearly we know of the problem.  Not all IFDs are affected.

How would one know if their IFD would be affected?  This is generally a nuisance but also a big time saver if you have something like the FBO frequency in #2 on landing and then need it on departure taxi or something like that (rare, but happens).  

Edited by AviSteve - 08 Sep 2022 at 8:22am
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 7:34am
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

In 10.4 I'd like to see a feature that figures out what frequency I *should* have at startup based on where I am. Just like we have GeoFill™ we can call it GeoFreq™ or something.
Since I never flatbed or tow my plane to another place after I land, it pretty much already did this when it used to come up with the last freq I was using when I turned it off.

Edited by MysticCobra - 08 Sep 2022 at 7:35am
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 8:20am
Well, yesterday's flight for the upgrade might be an interesting counterexample. On departure, I spoke to KHSV clearance, then ground, then tower, then departure, then AWOS, then UNICOM at my arrival field. On my return, I went AWOS -> UNICOM -> KHSV approach -> tower and taxiied to parking. When I next start up, it would be useful if the IFD defaulted to the first frequency I'm likely to need: clearance/ground (if it exists). 

I was semi-joking… but no question, resetting to KMLB freqs isn't very useful to the rest of us who aren't based there.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Aerochip Aerochip wrote:

How would one know if their IFD would be affected?  This is generally a nuisance but also a big time saver if you have something like the FBO frequency in #2 on landing and then need it on departure taxi or something like that (rare, but happens).  
We're still trying to find the common link between IFDs that have the problem, so I don't have that answer.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 10:49am
The frequency has to default to something, and rather than 108.0, I expect the engineers set it to the MLB frequencies to save time during testing, on an initial first boot.

On subsequent boots it retains/loads the last set freq for user convenience. My speculation -- it is this step that is somehow compromised in the update.

I'm curious, is the recent frequency list cleared out as well? If not, that might be a quick way to restore.

* Orest 
edubes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 6:25pm
Still won’t recognize my Stratus 3. I spoke to Appereo and they told me to turn on WiFi security in the Horizon app and then choose a password. When I try to enter that password in the IFD it doesn’t take it and reverts to four asterixes when I either hit enter or press the small button. Grrr.
edubes
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

Well, yesterday's flight for the upgrade might be an interesting counterexample. On departure, I spoke to KHSV clearance, then ground, then tower, then departure, then AWOS, then UNICOM at my arrival field. On my return, I went AWOS -> UNICOM -> KHSV approach -> tower and taxiied to parking. When I next start up, it would be useful if the IFD defaulted to the first frequency I'm likely to need: clearance/ground (if it exists). 

I was semi-joking…
I know you're semi-joking, but presumably that means you're semi-serious.  

I have an IFD and an SL30.  When I shut down, the IFD usually has Tower/CTAF loaded and the local Approach in its two slots, and the SL30 usually has the local ATIS/ASOS/AWOS and Ground in its two slots.  I might need to hit the flip-flop button to swap the active freq to get what I want, but generally what I landed with is what I want to start my next flight with.  I would not want the IFD to overwrite my slots with something that might be a surprise to me...I just want want it to start up the way I left it, predictably.

If Avidyne ever implemented a "guess what freq I want" feature, then as long as it could be disabled I suppose I don't care if it exists.  But I would likely find it more annoying than useful.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 10:13pm
MysticCobra, I agree 100%
wildbilll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildbilll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 10:19pm
Is anyone else having issues with Wi-Fi disconnects when using a stratux or a stratus 3? I have upgraded several aircraft now to 10.3 and on the ground it appears the weather and traffic displays just fine on the IFD440. When the aircraft are in the air, after a short few minutes an iPad will show IFD disconnected or Stratux disconnected. If I use a stratus 3 in open Wi-Fi mode it is the same story.

Edited by wildbilll - 08 Sep 2022 at 10:20pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 11:20pm

Still won’t recognize my Stratus 3. I spoke to Appereo and they told me to turn on WiFi security in the Horizon app and then choose a password. When I try to enter that password in the IFD it doesn’t take it and reverts to four asterixes when I either hit enter or press the small button. Grrr.
Have you tried connecting your IFD to a network other than the one from the Stratus?  Maybe try connecting to your hangar WiFi or a hotspot on your phone where you're absolutely sure of the password.  If you can get that to work, then that narrows it down to the Stratus.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
wildbilll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildbilll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 12:27am
the Stratus must be set into “open Wi-Fi mode”.
On the ground everything works fine. It’s after in the air for a while when things start disconnecting and reconnecting
edubes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:15am
I finally got my status to connect. I did not see the Connect LSK key on the left. Now how do I get my iPad to send flight plans to the IFD? Says”Unable, Could not open connection to IFD”
edubes
edubes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2022 at 10:39am
Nvm I got it. Took a while for my iPad to show up under the devices. Still won’t read my Icarus altitude but perhaps my ACK 30.9 encoder went TU at the exact moment we installed 10.3
edubes
LarryH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2022 at 5:42pm
By default, the Stratus does not have a password. You can add a password by accessing the Stratus Settings with one of the Stratus apps or through ForeFlight and access the Stratus Status page.
bradthepilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 5:14pm
After upgrading, my IFD-540 will stop displaying ADS-B weather products after several minutes.   The message is "Datalink Function Lost".   Traffic is still displayed and updated, however.   Moreover, cycling power on the IFD allows it to work again for a few more minutes before the same message pops up.   

ADS-B data stream is from an uAvionix EchoUAT via serial port; this setup has been working previously with 10.2.

I did create a support ticket for this; just thought I'd add to this thread in case others are seeing similar issues after upgrading to 10.3.

Edited by bradthepilot - 12 Sep 2022 at 5:14pm
Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
wildbilll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildbilll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 5:45pm
I have given up on using the Wi-Fi connection from the Stratux and also from a Stratus 3 set to "Open ADSB" mode. initially, it all looks like it works. 
After 10 minutes or so I get the error messages like you are encountering. Powering down the IFD440 and bringing it back up gets things working again for another 10 to 15 minutes. 
When checking the ADSB products page in the IFD440 where the stations received is displayed, there is nothing there. At my airport we have a station on site. 
When I look into the Stratux webpage it continues to display traffic, weather and shows the tower signal is being received. This is true in a fleet of 9 aircraft with the same exact IFD 440 installations. I even tried powering these receivers with just a battery and go the same results.
Merlinspop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlinspop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 7:07pm

Originally posted by kurtfly kurtfly wrote:

2) I'm surprised this doesn't work.  We'll have to get in touch with the Dynon folks and figure out what the issue is.
Please let us know what you find out after talking to Dynon. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic