Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10.3 Upgrade Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 3:14pm
chalk up another one that resets the comm freqs after shutdown.

Another issue: on 10.2 I had a blank password for the Wi-Fi on the IFD540.  10.3 won’t allow that.  It seems to need at least an 8 digit password.  Any way around that?

Edited by AviSteve - 14 Sep 2022 at 9:51am
Woo Hoo!!!
mseward57 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mseward57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 5:28pm
I was told at Oshkosh '22 that the IFD 540 would be able to accept ADS-B info from the Dynon HDX as long as WIFI on the Dynon was set-up and configured. This was the second most exciting feature of the 10.3 release for me (after the visual approaches piece). Is this really not supported in 10.3?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Kentucky Captain Kentucky Captain wrote:

Another issue: on 10.2 I had a blank password for the Wi-Fi on the IFD540.  10.3 won’t allow that.  It seems to need at least an 8 digit password.  Any way around that?
No sorry.  Cybersecurity and all that.  "password" is 8 characters :)
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
n144sh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n144sh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 6:13pm
Re ADSB over wifi from Dynon.   No, it does not work with Dynon

Edited by n144sh - 14 Sep 2022 at 6:14pm
n144sh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n144sh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 6:30pm
I must say 10.3 is pretty disappointing to me.   The two items I really wanted were ADS-B data over wifi from Dynon and enroute VNAV.   Neither works with my IFD540.  Dynon seems to be a bug, the VNAV seems to be a marketing decision to restrict to the IFD550 - I have an external indicator there is no need for the IFD550 SVS display. 

Nice improvements are waypoint annunciation and the updated Setup menus.   Major disappointment is the loss of COM frequencies on shutdown.   Overall it seems to be a net backwards step rather than a forward step for myself and most of my customers. 

I've installed dozens of IFD440's, 540s and 550's and always steer my customers that direction (excepting the entry level GPS175 where Avidyne doesn't offer any competing product).  They are superior to Garmin and the support / interaction is far better.    I will continue to push Avidyne, but at this point though it is hard to recommend upgrading to 10.3.   The downside risk of the frequency issue is a pretty big negative.   Is it approved to downgrade new installs of IFD's shipped with 10.3 to 10.2.6.1 (with appropriate log entry), or can new units be guaranteed to not have the frequency loss issue?

The real reason for my post is not to complain but to see if there is something we as customers / installers can do to help.  Evidently there isn't a beta test program - or if so it seems lacking.  I would have caught the frequency issue and the Dynon interaction bug.  Would Avidyne be interested / open to beta testing prior to release (VFR only, appropriate precautions / waivers etc.)?   I think it would improve the SW quality and stress the system in ways the mainstream release testing doesn't seem to. 

Edited by n144sh - 14 Sep 2022 at 6:31pm
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Yeah, because someone is gong to compromise my IFD as I fly over.  Hi Steve.  Does 10.3 fix the issue we discussed about flight plans uploaded from Foreflight not being able to enter a procedure because it didn't recognize the last fix as a destination?  I only had a 20 minute flight back home from the upgrade and I was busy checking out everything else and forgot about it.
Woo Hoo!!!
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 12:16pm
Beta testing FAA-certified products? That's a new concept!
;-)
Vince
n144sh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n144sh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Beta testing FAA-certified products? That's a new concept!
;-)

Sure - experimental category.   Would have found quite a number of the issues we are "Beta testing" now.
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 3:00pm
I dont know if it was considered "Beta Testing" but I know the Avidyne Training guy, Gary Reeves, among others had 10.3 running on their Avidyne products for a number of months, or at least since the Last Avidyne training seminar I attended in Melborn in Feb. of this year. Gary I am sure would have reported such a glaring issue as the COM not retaining the last frequency on startup. So I guess this bug appeared between then and the production 10.3 software just released. 
Claude
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:19pm

Does 10.3 fix the issue we discussed about flight plans uploaded from Foreflight not being able to enter a procedure because it didn't recognize the last fix as a destination?
Nope, that a FF thing.  I have a new contact inside FF, so I'll get with him about it.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by allenc3 allenc3 wrote:

I dont know if it was considered "Beta Testing" but I know the Avidyne Training guy, Gary Reeves, among others had 10.3 running on their Avidyne products for a number of months, or at least since the Last Avidyne training seminar I attended in Melborn in Feb. of this year. Gary I am sure would have reported such a glaring issue as the COM not retaining the last frequency on startup. So I guess this bug appeared between then and the production 10.3 software just released. 
Or maybe it just didn't occur on Gary's IFD.  It occurs on some and not on others.  We're still trying to understand that, but we're working on it.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 7:36am

… It occurs on some and not on others.  We're still trying to understand that, but we're working on it.

Hi Steve-

I don’t know if this is useful information, but on our 540, we started with the Melbourne frequencies on the first five or so power-ups after the upgrade. I loaded our local CTAF in the saved frequency list, but that did not seem to change anything. On the last two power cycles, the comm frequencies seemed to behave as expected, with the last used frequencies loaded on power-up. I have a trip tomorrow, and will see what happens then.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 9:55am
Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

… It occurs on some and not on others.  We're still trying to understand that, but we're working on it.

Hi Steve-

I don’t know if this is useful information, but on our 540, we started with the Melbourne frequencies on the first five or so power-ups after the upgrade. I loaded our local CTAF in the saved frequency list, but that did not seem to change anything. On the last two power cycles, the comm frequencies seemed to behave as expected, with the last used frequencies loaded on power-up. I have a trip tomorrow, and will see what happens then.

Regards,

Bob

Oh crap!!  There's nothing worse than a problem that fixes itself!! 😬😉
ColinW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:25am
I'm still living with Melbourne/Orlando freqs after 7 flights and many more power cycles.  But I was glad when the visual approach glide slope angle anomaly fixed itself :-)

Another odd behaviour is that the bezel & display lighting behaviour changed after exiting maintenance mode, when a completely unrelated change was made to a config setting (TIS-B annunciation, since you ask).  On 2 occasions of exiting maintenance mode, with lighting set to Dimming Bus, brightness goes fully dim when the panel knob is turned fully CCW; it worked fine beforehand.

On the first occurrence, I reentered maint mode to set lighting to Photocell so at least I could read the screen; after several power cycles, I reset the lighting to DimmingBus and normal behaviour was restored.  After a second config adjustment, it happened again so I am back on Photocell and hoping the problem clears itself once more.

Both IFD 1 & 2 misbehave at the same time in our SR20G2 so that is even more of a puzzle; the lighting of other equipment follows the expected dimmer control ie full bright when full CCW, so at the moment the dimmer control itself is not the suspect.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 3:21pm

Or maybe it just didn't occur on Gary's IFD.  It occurs on some and not on others.  We're still trying to understand that, but we're working on it.

Do you know (or does anyone) if those affected with COM freq reset, also have their recent frequency list cleared?

If not, it would be very quick to repopulate the active and standby freqs.

* Orest
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 4:32pm
how would you do that?

Claude
lolsen94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 4:49pm
My 10.3 update is wiping frequencies and 440 keyboard open will not allow 540 to activate flight plan.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by allenc3 allenc3 wrote:

how would you do that?

Well, nothing tricky. Just click to the FREQ | RECENT tab, and populate your active/stby COM freq from the list.

* Orest

psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 1:03am
Both of mine still think they are in Florida. I'm also seeing 429 data not received on both units. Also datalink receiver failure.  Is datalink the ADSB info from my Stratus?
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 7:49am
Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

Hi Steve-

Regards,

Bob

Well, when I powered up yesterday after the plane had been in a hangar for a week, the Melbourne frequencies were prominently displayed again, so the problem definitely did not fix itself. I consider this enough of an annoyance that we are holding off on the upgrade of a 540 in another plane.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2022 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by psimpson psimpson wrote:

Both of mine still think they are in Florida. I'm also seeing 429 data not received on both units. Also datalink receiver failure.  Is datalink the ADSB info from my Stratus?

If you have ADS-B in to be set to use Wi-FI then yes I would expect the datalink error message to be because of the Stratus.  I played with a StratuX on my friends IFD440 and we were unable to get it to work reliably and would continuously get various datalink messages, some yellow and some blue.  We simply gave up for now and will hope that a fix comes out in the near future.

-PA
edubes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 8:22am
My TOD indicator is no longer agreeing with my VSR. It is much closer to the waypoint than it should be. Is there something in the settings I need to change? I like to start my decent when VSR goes to 500 fpm but it is much sooner than my TOD suggests.
edubes
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 9:20am

this is concerning -- 

so 10.3 cannot connect to an open wifi network?
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 9:23am
Originally posted by ricardo ricardo wrote:

this is concerning -- 

so 10.3 cannot connect to an open wifi network?

yes it can connect to an open Wi-FI network, I connected it to a StratuX box that wasn't using Wi-Fi Security and it worked fine, just leave the password field blank.

I did not however test to see if the IFD can create a Wi-Fi network without a password.

-PA
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

In 10.4 I'd like to see a feature that figures out what frequency I *should* have at startup based on where I am. Just like we have GeoFill™ we can call it GeoFreq™ or something.

Good idea… 
vaillankm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vaillankm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 1:22pm
didn’t work for me….loaded the presets, used the presets, and it still defaulted to the Melbourne frequencies.

PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by atomsite atomsite wrote:

Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

In 10.4 I'd like to see a feature that figures out what frequency I *should* have at startup based on where I am. Just like we have GeoFill™ we can call it GeoFreq™ or something.

Good idea… 

Sounds like a good idea but I don't think it is really feasible.  Yes keeping the last used frequency is nice and is often the correct first frequency needed but trying to figure out what frequency should be in the active and standby upon power up I don't think is realistic which is why I think the airport tab that pops up when you start tuning is probably the best solution.

At a towered field, do I start with ATIS? Ground? Clearance? Tower?  It all depends upon the time, maybe the tower closes at 10pm which would mean only tower and maybe ATIS would be used.  Maybe they don't have an ATIS/AWOS for after hours, so what frequency do you default to now?  Some towered airports only use clearance delivery if you are departing IFR, otherwise you simply start with ground.

Same thing at non-towered fields, you have the CTAF, maybe an AWOS, maybe an RCO for clearance?, and lights might be on a different frequency than the CTAF.

It sounds like it would be a great feature but implementation I don't think is realistic.

-PA
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 6:40pm
Further, I always use COM2 for my ground frequencies, and COM1 (IFD) for TWR and above. It would have no way of knowing that.

Best thing, is for it to default to the last set frequencies. <gd&r>

But, don't forget, your FREQ | RECENT tab has pretty much any freq you are likely to need, and easy to nominate these.

* Orest

edubes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 8:08pm
My visual approaches are not displayed on the EX5000 mfd like instrument approaches are. Is this correct?
edubes
lolsen94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolsen94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 1:55pm
My visual approaches are not showing up on my MFD EX5000 either.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by edubes edubes wrote:

My visual approaches are not displayed on the EX5000 mfd like instrument approaches are. Is this correct?
The extended runway centerline should be displayed.  The downwind and base segments should not.  Is that what you're seeing?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
edubes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 7:42am
Not seeing any extended centerline on the MFD.
edubes
cpzjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpzjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 6:18am
Have a new problem with 10.3 upgrade. According to config page and info on the 540 the upgrade is installed but I am getting a “ no 429” error alert. Went through all config pages with no success.  Also, multi engine fuel page does not load correctly. Have been through many discussions with tech support. Have IFD 540, dual Aspen Max and Garmin 345 xponder. Any suggestions?  Thanks, Phil ( Baron N450CF). 

RobK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 2:25pm
Updated IFD540 to 10.3 today, no errors, all settings carried over. I have the users and connectivity items setup  correctly but have no SSID that is being broadcast from the 540 unit for the iPad to connect to. Here is the connectivity screen shot. I renamed the default network name to AAAA to see if it would make a diff. No change. The wifi icon is on but no ssid. 

I own a wireless internet ISP company and am well versed in WiFi. I ran our spectrum analyzer and nothing is being broadcast from the 540 unit.  

Any insight would be appreciated.

PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by RobK RobK wrote:

Updated IFD540 to 10.3 today, no errors, all settings carried over. I have the users and connectivity items setup  correctly but have no SSID that is being broadcast from the 540 unit for the iPad to connect to. Here is the connectivity screen shot. I renamed the default network name to AAAA to see if it would make a diff. No change. The wifi icon is on but no ssid. 

I own a wireless internet ISP company and am well versed in WiFi. I ran our spectrum analyzer and nothing is being broadcast from the 540 unit.  

Any insight would be appreciated.

I think you are over analyzing the situation. :-)

The image you posted shows that the Wi-Fi is turned on but not ready for use, try pressing the "CONNECT" LSK, I believe that will initialize the WiFi Network.  After that I believe the IFD will use the last network selected.

-PA
RobK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 4:25pm
Thanks PA -

But… unfortunately not over analyzing. I can use connect and connect to a Wi-Fi network, but the unit is not broadcasting any SSID or Wi-Fi signal for the IFD Hotspot, even after pressing connect for the IFD hotspot. 

When I press connect for the IFD hotspot, the animated Wi-Fi icon flashes 7 times then goes solid white as it was before pressing connect. 

It’s as if my Wi-Fi hotspot capability is not enabled. Wifi and BT show enabled in software status page as expected.

Kind of strange to have “connect” when it’s really “enabling” the hotspot which disconnects anything the IFD is connected to as a client. 

Edited by RobK - 01 Oct 2022 at 4:27pm
RobK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RobK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 5:05pm
Downgrading to 10.2.6.1 until they fix all the issues in this thread. Considering it’s purpose it should have been a very vetted and clean update. Needs to work out of the box.
RobK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 6:11pm
Downgraded to 10.2.6.1 LIO_WIFI not coming up. Something in the 10.3 upgrade broke the Wi-Fi hotspot or wiped out a key that enables it. 

Any insight Avidyne Team? 

I guess I’ll email and call support on Monday.
n144sh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n144sh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 6:21pm
Flew 4 approaches today (in VMC with safety pilot) with 10.3.

I have had about 5 hours flying on 10.3 and the frequency issue is super annoying, almost enough to downgrade back to 10.2.6.1.

Today on the third approach I lost GPS integrity, checked GPS status in Aux tab and it was re-acquiring satellites but had no GPS position.   This was just outside of the FAF.   The 540 alerted no GPS - dead reckoning and removed the advisory glide slope.   Interesting, it still showed the approach as active and in green in the upper right!   Given this wasn't real IMC, and I had backup navigation I continued, the 540 reacquired GPS and resumed the approach.

I have NEVER seen this behavior prior with 10.2.6.1.    The upgrade was performed in the plane with ground power - so no possible way this is a "re-seat the unit" issue.   It certainly seems to be me to be SW related. 

Unlike the frequency issue that is a serious annoyance, I consider this a safety of flight issue and am now in the process of downgrading to 10.2.6.1.

My advice based solely on my experience is it would be good to wait a while until Avidyne sorts through the issues with 10.3.

RobK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 6:48pm
Spoke too soon LIO WFi came up in 10.2.6 after the downgrade from 10.3. Took about 10 min to go green but it’s back.
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by n144sh n144sh wrote:

I have had about 5 hours flying on 10.3 and the frequency issue is super annoying, almost enough to downgrade back to 10.2.6.1.

A few people are reporting that this is super annoying .. my newly upgraded unit also has the freq. change bug -- can you expand on why this is so annoying.  (enough to want to downgrade)

doesn't it just require that you re-setup the frequencies after turning on your avionics.  --  so once per flight, while on the ground?
n144sh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n144sh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by ricardo ricardo wrote:

Originally posted by n144sh n144sh wrote:

A few people are reporting that this is super annoying .. my newly upgraded unit also has the freq. change bug -- can you expand on why this is so annoying.  (enough to want to downgrade)

doesn't it just require that you re-setup the frequencies after turning on your avionics.  --  so once per flight, while on the ground?

Yes, just once per flight on the ground.   I guess it is just pretty basic expected functionality.  I can't think of any modern or legacy radios that don't retain the last frequency.   When you fly out of your home base I expect it to still be there from the last flight.   I wouldn't be happy if my car radio reset everytime I turned the ignition off either. 

Frankly there just isn't much in 10.3 that I find valuable and the bugs & annoyances outweigh what minor benefits there are.  Its too bad really, I had high expectations for enroute VNAV, ADSB info over WiFi from Dynon plus other improvements.  The two big winner features for me just aren't there.  Wifi from Dynon does not work and enroute VNAV doesn't work with an IFD540 despite having an external indicator.   Sure VFR approaches are interesting, but not really a big deal to me - my backup GPS 175 has had them and I don't really find them that useful.   The cleanup of the AUX settings is nice and the altitude callouts is a nice add, but overall for ME it was a step backwards....   YMMV

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 5:08pm

Not seeing any extended centerline on the MFD.
I was able to reproduce this and found the cause.  It depends on 429 configuration, but the 429 GAMA Graphics protocols all exhibit the issue.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
edubes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 6:04pm
So do I needs to do something in the configuration pages
edubes
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 3:07pm

So do I needs to do something in the configuration pages
I would not.  If you were to change it to something else, you would lose more than you gain.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
RobK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 11:08am
Steve - Are you looking into the issue of IFD hotspot not functional after 10.3 update? Just goes away, no broadcast of SSID or any frequency coming out of the box. I downgraded to 10.2.6 and the hotspot is working again.

Thanks

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by RobK RobK wrote:

Steve - Are you looking into the issue of IFD hotspot not functional after 10.3 update? Just goes away, no broadcast of SSID or any frequency coming out of the box. I downgraded to 10.2.6 and the hotspot is working again.

Thanks

We're not actively looking at that.  Yours was the only case I heard of where that happened.  Seems to me that it was something with the LIO apps processor, but can't tell now that you're back a release.  Before you reverted to 10.2.6, did you ever contact tech support regarding the problem?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
RobK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 1:59pm
I sent an email last week but it was hurricane week and then reading the issues here, I decided to revert. Subsequently, tech support replied asking for log files as the wifi module could have gotten corrupted. But all the logs are gone since reversion

I'll wait until the other bugs are worked out and try again at that time.
Rainer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 4:43pm
@ Steve,
my IFD440 crashed during update, which was done by me according to the Avidyne instructions. The screen went dark during update. After 1hr 15 min I stoped it.
It did not boot up anymore after that. I send it to an avionic shop and they will forward it to Avidyne for „repair“ with a minimum cost of 1800 $.
That’s a lot for a device which was working well before and just needed a software update!
The “repair”should be free of charge.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Rainer Rainer wrote:

@ Steve,
my IFD440 crashed during update, which was done by me according to the Avidyne instructions. The screen went dark during update. After 1hr 15 min I stoped it.
It did not boot up anymore after that. I send it to an avionic shop and they will forward it to Avidyne for „repair“ with a minimum cost of 1800 $.
That’s a lot for a device which was working well before and just needed a software update!
The “repair”should be free of charge.

I feel for you, $1800 is a lot to simply reload the OS onto the unit's flash card, however Avidyne's defense they strongly recommend bringing it to a dealer to do the update.  If the dealer performs the update and it fails for them is no charge to you (I don't know their agreement with the dealers) to repair the unit, but as Avidyne states, you perform the install and it fails for any reason the repair cost is on you.

I'm sure there are installs that fail for dealers too, but Avidyne has a higher level of confidence that a dealer is going to perform the upgrade properly, utilizing a stable power source etc, there is no guarantee that your local A&P or yourself for that matter will be doing that.  

Look at the fee the Avionics shop charges as your insurance policy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic