Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10.3 Upgrade Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Sambo Sambo wrote:

ok I have a wired Lynx NGT fed to the IFD540. I select the IFD wifi as my hot spot. Under devices my iPad and cell phone are selected but I can’t get traffic through FF on either the cellphone nor iPad. But If I select the Lynx as my hotspot for wifi I can then get traffic on both iPad and cellphone. Before my 10.3 update my IFD540 always gave me traffic but I must need to do something to fix this but need your advice please. Thanks  

What you might consider doing is setting the IFD540 Wifi to remote and have it connect to the Lynx Wifi.  Connect your iPad/FF to the Lynx Wifi.  At this point, the Lynx will provides ADS-B Traffic and Weather to the iPad and you'll be able send/receive flight plans with the IFD.
------------
dave
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2022 at 8:52pm
I'm assuming your NGT-9000 is properly wired into your IFD and you are getting traffic and WX on the IFD, if this was not the case before upgrading then you need to see your avionics shop, if it was working prior to the upgrade and you are no longer seeing weather and traffic on the IFD then one of the settings for a serial port got changed and will need to be corrected, this may also involve a trip the the avionics shop if you do not know what the settings are supposed to be.

If you are getting WX and traffic on your IFD but not on your tablet when connected to the IFD make sure you have ADS-B over WiFi turned on, previously this was called ADS-B forwarding.  Go to the Aux page and then Setup.  expand the Connectivity menue and scroll down to ADS-B over WiFi, make sure this is set to "ON".

On a related note, the IFD and the NGT-9000's WiFi both use the same channel by default, channel 1, depending upon your system serial number the IFD maybe using a different channel, I would VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you make sure the IFD and the NGT-9000 are using different WiFi Channels.  The WiFi frequency that both units are using is in the 2.4Ghz range which means that although there are 11 channels assigned to the range, only 3 frequencies are usable (You can Google the technical reasons), channels 1, 6, & 11.  If you choose any other frequency you can have overlap which is a bad thing.  You can set the frequency on the NGT-9000 using L3/Harris' "MPC" program which is available directly from them, of you can adjust the SSID name of the IFD's network.  Avidyne cleverly allows the end user to change the channel number by specifying the channel as part of the SSID, for example you set the IFD's SSID to be "MyPlane6" the IFD will use channel 6, if you specify "MyPlane11" the IFD will use channel 11.  Not sure what happens if you specify something like "N12345" since channel "45" is not valid, I'm guessing it'll use channel 5.
Sambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 5:50pm
Hello and thanks for the great advice. Now I’m stumped on Can I only have one device hooked up on the IFD wifi for being able to get traffic? When I hook up both my iPad and cell to FF on IFD wifi I only get traffic on one device. I went to Devices nd both are allowed always to be on the IFD wifi. 
So all help in wether the IFD wifi will allow more than one device running both FF to get traffic? 
Thanks in advance, TIA. 
Shazam😎
Dallas90 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by doog doog wrote:

I have two IFDs and haven't seen any GPS integrity issues with the 10.3 upgrade.  It doesn't sound like a software issue to me, more likely an antennae issue.  When it happens I'd suggest going to the GPS status page and checking the signal.  

Tested it yesterday, it's definitely a 10.3 problem. Did a practice RNAV under 10.2, no integrity issues or LPV downgrades. (As a bonus my frequencies were retained after shutdown!)
Merlinspop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlinspop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 6:29pm
A&P and I attempted the upgrade this weekend and it’s not looking good.  Kept being halted. Tried the gold master and it errored out at that step with “Upload files to vm2/kvf/options”.  Besides calling tech support Monday morning, any suggestions?

Edited by Merlinspop - 12 Nov 2022 at 8:06pm
Dallas90 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dallas90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2022 at 6:57pm
Make a list of the new features in 10.3. Subtract from the list all the items you don’t care about. Next to it place the list of known bugs and assume you will have all of them, as you very likely will.Do the pluses outweigh the minuses (including unreliable RNAV approaches)? Throw in the shop time and down time to get you back to a stable system (10.2.6.1) then decide if you want to proceed. If this sounds snarky, I apologize. But being out $550 bucks just so I can sample a buggy, poorly thought out and poorly executed revision will make you a bit that way.
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 4:45am
Any word on the dot release to address open issues? 
PA28-236 @N14
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 4:46am
Originally posted by Dallas90 Dallas90 wrote:

Make a list of the new features in 10.3. Subtract from the list all the items you don’t care about. Next to it place the list of known bugs and assume you will have all of them, as you very likely will.Do the pluses outweigh the minuses (including unreliable RNAV approaches)? Throw in the shop time and down time to get you back to a stable system (10.2.6.1) then decide if you want to proceed. If this sounds snarky, I apologize. But being out $550 bucks just so I can sample a buggy, poorly thought out and poorly executed revision will make you a bit that way.
How was the fallback process to 10.2.6? is it as straightforward as the upgrade or they had to take you through CF format route?
PA28-236 @N14
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 9:05am
My IFD540 upgrade to 10.3 went smoothly, and except for losing the freqs every time you turn it off, seems to function correctly.  My daughter has had a panel upgrade in conjuntion with the 10.3 upgrade and things haven't gone so well.  She added the dual Aspen 2000s, cleaned up the panel, got rid of the vacuum pump, got rid of all fuses, rearranged the CBs, and now our panels are almost identical except I have the NGT9000+ and she has a GTX330 ES and GDL88.

One big problem she has is that there is no traffic on Foreflight.  The Traffic tab is not even available.  The WIFI is working because we can get the IFD100 app to work with her IFD440 and also see traffic on it.  We were thinking that this was a configuration issue with the shop but it looks like on this forum it might be a 10.3 problem instead?

I am rapidly losing confidence in the shop that did my last upgrade as well as my daughter's.  We've identified and fixed several of the problems we had on our own.  For instance, The Aspen 2000 Max has aural callouts for approaching and at minimums.  We weren't getting that on her panel.  Found out that they had not turned the volume up in the settings of the Aspen.  Another issue was that we weren't getting the altitude callouts from the IFD that 10.3 added.  Issue there was that they had  routed the output through the PMA8000 Aux input but didn't bother to turn it on or tell us where it was supposed to come from.  We have had numerous delays from them with very little communication on status, unless we call them.  Promised completion dates come and go without any sign of getting done.  I'm about done with them.
Woo Hoo!!!
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Sanjiv Sanjiv wrote:

Any word on the dot release to address open issues? 

I don't expect that all known issues will be fixed with a single dot release.

Perhaps it's just somewhere that I haven't yet found, but in general it would be useful if Avidyne would post the various dot releases and the issues fixed with them. That way we could track the dot releases that have been issued and the associated items that have been fixed. I think I've read somewhere here that the current software release is 10.3.0.3..... what is in that?

The current 540 PG is Rev 08 (web page says Rev 07 but file is 08), and the manual says Rev 08 corresponds to 10.3.0.2 which implies that was the first 10.3 version actually released.

Edited by chflyer - 06 Jan 2023 at 9:57am
Vince
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 4:11am
My 10.3.0.2 upgrade was okay. Only problem I have is while switching to maintenance mode, the unit boots or partially goes off and on a few times. It is a guess work when it gets to stable mode. Like while updating the database, it just went off and on.... followed by database upload failed. Now I have to count 3 times screen going off and on in maintenance mode to now it's stable again to change config or load database. Support them says it probably requires a CF format but they don't have better insight yet. I will reproduce the scenario and upload logs for them to analyze. All the checksums are fine and everything else checks out. My fear is "what if" this screen goes off or reboot happens in regular operations mode. We all hate the unknowns. 

ADSB out is via AXP322
My ADSB traffic in is through Skytras200. Just upgraded that from MLB100.
Weather IN is from GDL69.
Both seems to be working fine. 

Edited by Sanjiv - 08 Jan 2023 at 3:19am
PA28-236 @N14
Toadpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toadpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 7:32am
The current software version out is 10.3.0.2, which was the initial 10.3 release.
Jeff Hullinger
1964 Piper PA-30 N97VP
IFD550/IFD440/EX500/AMX240/
RDR2100/GMX345/GDL69A/
SKY497/STEC60-2/G5 AI/G5 HSI
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Toadpilot Toadpilot wrote:

The current software version out is 10.3.0.2, which was the initial 10.3 release.
Correct. I meant to say 10.3.0.2 drop of the initial 10.3 released software. 
PA28-236 @N14
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 12:29pm
Mike Salmon from Avidyne posted some information on the Avidyne Facebook page about upcoming webinars, including one on 10.3.1.2. Maybe a typo, maybe a low-key acknowledgement of a forthcoming release.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 1:06pm
I fully expect Avidyne to have an updated release, hopefully it will be sooner than later and address the bugs that have been publicly identified (by users posts) plus any that haven't been publicly identified.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 6:43pm
We are working on 10.3.1.2 that addresses several of the identified issues with 10.3.0.2.  I expect it to be available relatively soon, but can't say when.  I'll post release notes when I can, but I'll bet that most everyone here can guess at least one or two that are on the list.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Dallas90 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by PA23 PA23 wrote:

I fully expect Avidyne to have an updated release, hopefully it will be sooner than later and address the bugs that have been publicly identified (by users posts) plus any that haven't been publicly identified.

10.3 broke the trust, it will be a long time and many updates before I will try again. 
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 5:38am
Can someone share the fallback process and risk/complexity versus the upgrade?
PA28-236 @N14
Dallas90 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dallas90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 10:14am
The fallback process is not available to all serial numbers, but I was lucky in that regard. So for me it was  take it back to the shop and let them re-install 10.2. The adventure from 10.2 to 10.3 and back cost me $450 or so in shop time, 3 days of down time and 3 hours of flight time getting the plane back and fourth to the shop.
I'm not sure why anyone would knowingly proceed with installing a poorly executed, buggy software package into a working piece of hardware but to each their own.
RedBirdPilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBirdPilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 8:08pm
I'm seeing the same thing after upgrading to 10.3   My screen went dark 47 min into the load.
Waited another 1.5 hours then. restarted.  It must have finished the load okay, because it booted with  10.3 okay, but the screen at times would blank on and off randomly in "Maintenance Mode".   Long story short, had to have my dealer perform a CF format.  Dealer also had to reset the paid options like WiFi in my case.  So, support told me the same thing about it needing a CF Format...that didn't fix it! The screen has never blank on and off in flight in the 5 or 6 hours flown with 10.3 thank goodness, but I've convinced myself it's just waiting to do that when I'm IFR on approach.  

Even after the CF format, anytime its in the download logs or database upload it will sometimes do the screen blank on and off thing.  This Sunday while installing the latest chart data, the little airplane was almost done traveling across the bottom of the screen.   Then, the screen went dark and stayed that way just like it did during the 10.3 upgrade.  I waited several mins and restarted.  At the Update screen: "System update halted. Error detected "copying Charts Files".  Tried the update again,  same message after several seconds.  "01-2023 charts updat... ERROR"    Now on the MAP-Chart page, "Chart File Not Found".  Been working with Jeppesen support, but it's looking like I'm going the need my Avidyne Dealer's help again.  
10.3.0.2 is not keeping me awake yet, but wish this all over soon...
RBP
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 3:12am
Originally posted by RedBirdPilot RedBirdPilot wrote:

I'm seeing the same thing after upgrading to 10.3   My screen went dark 47 min into the load.
Waited another 1.5 hours then. restarted.  It must have finished the load okay, because it booted with  10.3 okay, but the screen at times would blank on and off randomly in "Maintenance Mode".   Long story short, had to have my dealer perform a CF format.  Dealer also had to reset the paid options like WiFi in my case.  So, support told me the same thing about it needing a CF Format...that didn't fix it! The screen has never blank on and off in flight in the 5 or 6 hours flown with 10.3 thank goodness, but I've convinced myself it's just waiting to do that when I'm IFR on approach.  

Even after the CF format, anytime its in the download logs or database upload it will sometimes do the screen blank on and off thing.  This Sunday while installing the latest chart data, the little airplane was almost done traveling across the bottom of the screen.   Then, the screen went dark and stayed that way just like it did during the 10.3 upgrade.  I waited several mins and restarted.  At the Update screen: "System update halted. Error detected "copying Charts Files".  Tried the update again,  same message after several seconds.  "01-2023 charts updat... ERROR"    Now on the MAP-Chart page, "Chart File Not Found".  Been working with Jeppesen support, but it's looking like I'm going the need my Avidyne Dealer's help again.  
10.3.0.2 is not keeping me awake yet, but wish this all over soon...

SO, at least I am not the only one with this weird behavior. But in my case, the charts loaded just fine the second time. Once it failed to load maps prior to this upgrade, it was resolved by fresh format of USB drive and reload of data. I am just waiting for the screen to go blank in normal flight. Somehow, with the lack of trust at the moment, it's a matter of when it might happen. Thanks for sharing that CF format didn't resolve your issue. 
PA28-236 @N14
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 11:31am
I had considered downgrading back to 10.2 but after looking through the bug list I didn't find anything that told me that I must downgrade.  Yeah some of the bugs are simply annoying but really don't prevent the use of the device.

The only bug I've heard of so far that causes the IFD to crash is selecting/highlighting an approach with RF legs and this bug can be worked around by simply enabling RF legs in maintenance mode even if your plane is incapable of flying RF legs.

One thing I really have to figure out is the lighting, I have never had it setup properly and usually manually adjust it during the flight.   When the original GNS430 was installed the shop didn't setup the lighting properly on the lighting buss, somehow they ran 12v all the time for the dimming circuit and added resistance to ground even though my airplane controls all of the lighting by varying the output voltage.  I have since disconnected both lines for the lighting control (they are wrapped neatly behind the panel should I decided to use them again).  Now that it gets dark early I can spend some time trying to set the dimming using the photocell correctly, then again it is often too cold that I don't want to spend time out at the airplane.

HermannS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HermannS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 4:37pm
IFD 440 new sofware 10.3:
my issues : Frequencies not memorized after avionic master on, :-( 
IFD does only connect to my iPAD ( even set to always) if IFD app is running on the IPAD , after that the other apps (Skydemon) filly communicates with the IFD :-(
When I update the database, the screen goes black after about 30-60 sevonds and I don‘t know when the update is finished. Wai5ing about 5 minutes and then performing a hard reset switching the IFD to off and rempving the USB stick) worked, but not normal :-(
I know when the AVEDYNE dealer loaded the new soft, he has got problems as well, that the screen went black during the update

Avedyne got an email about all above, but no solutions proposed ( the black screen seems new to them,- strange as others in the forum have similar issues.
N249A - Germany
zman520 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zman520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2023 at 7:22pm
I don’t know if my bug has been discussed.  I have always used the dimming bus to control screen and bezel brightness.  Since upgrading to 10.3 when I turn the panel lighting all the way down the screens now go dark instead of full bright.  Going into maintenance page and back out seems to correct the problem…until the next power cycle.  Then it reverts back.  The lighting settings are exactly the same as before the upgrade.
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 1:47am
anyone else here is experience downgraded RNAV approaches on 10.3.0.2? I know it's been reported before by another user, but I want to see if multiple users are facing similar issues because last 2 approaches I had to do offered  me LNAV+VNAV instead of LPV. Wonder if it's generic version issue or unit dependent like their fallback process. 
PA28-236 @N14
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 9:59pm
I've seen that a couple of times... however, I was unable to confirm whether it was the units or just GPS service issues in my area the two times it happened (within a day or two apart... and not any since then...)

@AviSteve - any updates on fixes for 10.3?  Any ETA?   This RNAV bug seems one of the more serious issues with 10.3... My preference would be for Avidyne to not "boil the ocean" with a huge 10.3-fix++ release but rather focus just on these 10.3 issues... nothing else for this release... is that the plan or is there a different one in progress?

Thanks!! 
Doug
N208LG
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 8:57am
We're working on it.  I would expect some news in the very near future.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 9:50am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

We're working on it.  I would expect some news in the very near future.

Waiting on the FAA again, or can Avidyne release this one with just a notification to the FAA?

When 10.3 was released it was the day that hell froze over as GAMI got their STC approved for their 100UL at the same time.  Wonder what other announcement the FAA is holding up?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 10:15am
This one is a minor, so the FAA shouldn't be a significant schedule factor.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
montauk1989 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montauk1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 8:05am
I'm also having problems with 10.3.

Frequency thing like everyone else.

Foreflight can't send flight plans to the unit.   It tries to send but after a minute or so it reports back with a timeout error or something like that.

I can't view traffic in foreflight because the traffic option doesn't appear in the layer drop down even when the WiFi is working.

WiFi cuts out.   On a 45 minute flight yesterday, WiFi dropped out for a minute and then came back up.

No WiFi at all.  On my return flight yesterday WiFi according to Avidyne was on but according to my iPad and iPhone it wasn't broadcasting. 

I was hoping these problems are simply set up problems but after reading through this thread it seems like 10.3 has a lot problems.  I hope there's a fix soon.

ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 9:13am
re: sending fp's .. did you make sure your ipad was not blocked in the networking config?

I've had some wifi issues - but its hard to blame 10.3 since wifi has worked pretty well for me on almost all flights (as long as i wasn't trying to get adsb data through wifi).

-- i did have one flight where i could not get the ifd to re-connect to the wifi network from the stratus after the stratus had some sort of hicup that kicked everything off the wifi. -- restarted the stratus and the ipads got back on, but the ifd would not. -- eventually had to power cycle the IFD to get it to re-join the network. (while in flight).

in-flight wifi dropouts could be due to interference in the airplane, such as phone hotspots, etc.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 9:55am
I know there are some issues with WiFi on the 10.3 release of software, based upon what I've see I don't think it is with the WiFi signal itself but with the protocols running on the WiFi.  I saw it initially when connecting a Stratux to the IFD over WiFi and was able to document the problem, plus I found some potentially related issues which manifest them as FF getting errors when trying to push flight plans.

Hopefully Avidyne has a solution in their next release
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2023 at 11:21pm
Awesome @AviSteve! Thanks so much for the update... looking forward to it. 

Also... any new news on Vantage?  I am excited about that coming hopefully this year!!

Doug
N208LG
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 7:36pm
We are having a new issue after upgrading to 10.3 on our IFD440.  We are also experiencing the lost COMM Frequency issue but that is now an old issue.

The "new" issue is that WingX Pro (my plane partner's app of choice) is no longer receiving traffic (or any GDL90 data) over WiFi.  Capstone is Enabled.  ADSB-In/Out is through a GTX-345 wired to the IFD.

My two devices (iPhone and iPad) running ForeFlight work fine and show traffic and GPS location from the IFD, but even though they DO connect to the IFD local network (verified using a network sniffer) they do NOT show up under AUX->SYS->Network->Devices until ForeFlight is actually running.  Why is this?  It seems that the IFD is waiting for ForeFlight to connect to the port (4000?) and Ack something before it is recognized as a "device" on the network.

I can only suppose that WingX Pro does not do this Ack or is looking on a different port?

Did 10.3 change what port(s) it uses for sharing the GDL90 output?

What is the IFD looking for from the device before that device will show up under Devices?

Thanks
Neil

PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 8:09pm
I'm guessing you are using Wing-X for the iPad as I don't think anybody in their right mind would use Wing-X for Android as the Android version frankly is unusable IMHO.

I suspect the problem is that the IFD requires devices to basically say "Hello IFD, I'm here please start sending me data" and Wing-X is not doing that.  The magic handshake is to send the string "AVISDK" via UDP port 5686 to the IFD.  In the Android world there is a free program called "UDP Sender" which will do this for you.

I found at least one program of the ipad that can do this called "UDP/TCP/REST"

in either program set the following (I'm assuming the IFD is creating the wifi network)

Destination/Remote host IP: 192.168.0.1
port 5686
text/message AVISDK

next press send, the IFD will ask you to confirm the new client (if you haven't already accepted it) and start forwarding data.   The bad news is you will need to do this everytime you turn on the IFD, the good news is both programs retain the last settings used.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 9:00pm
I'm using Foreflight - it's my plane partner who loves WXP.  ;-)

Thanks for the magic handshake.  I figured there had to be something like that but I assume that means all the apps that don't know it are now broken.  Lovely.  Thanks Avi.  Fortunately, now that you've given me the keys to the kingdom I can write my own app (I'm a registered developer) that sends the Ack code.

I believe that once you've acknowledged (the green button popup on the IFD) you can use the ALWAYS setting for that device and it won't bug you the next time.  I did this for my devices and they work fine after a power cycle.  You might try that.

Cheers
Neil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montauk1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 7:34am
Neil,
Any problems with using foreflight?

I've had problems with 10.3 allowing wifi connections.   That seems to be hit or miss.

Even when connected, I can't upload flight plans from foreflight or receive any traffic from the avidyne.

Thanks
Dave

Edited by montauk1989 - 08 Feb 2023 at 7:35am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 10:40am
Hi Dave,

I need to try it in flight to be sure but, once the IFD accepts my iPad (green connect button appeared once I opened FF) and I set the device in SYS-NETWORK-DEVICES to ALWAYS it seemed to reconnect across IFD power cycles with no need to re-acknowledge the device.

In maintenance mode I also enabled Captsone.  I do not know if this enables GDL90 output from IFD, or tells the IFD to accept input from other devices.

I did try sending a flight plan from the IFD to ForeFlight and it worked but did not try not the other direction.

Neil
Craig767 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 11:35am
Have another minor issue since 10.3 upgrade.

I use three com setup in IFD 540 and got in the habit of putting twr in number three slot well before handoff. When I get closer in, highlight number three and just push flip-flop to change to twr.

At least I did before 10.3. Now after a small amount of time the highlight on number three changes to number two and of course wrong freq. Now have to go back and highlight number three again. 

If I remember.

Small annoyance, but just makes more work while flying an app.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 4:47pm
Oh, that would be a nuisance. I am used to setting and using the active standby to either #2 or #3.

* Orest
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 5:16pm
That is fixed in 10.3.1.2
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
vas4avidyne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vas4avidyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 2:55am
@AviSteve, are the list of bug fixes (and features, if any) for 10.3.1.2 available?

Thanks,

Vas

Edited by vas4avidyne - 12 Feb 2023 at 2:55am
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 12:16pm
good luck getting a list of changes for an unreleased version .. 

we couldn't get avidyne to share a list of known bugs in 10.3 .. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 9:10pm
The notes will be available soon.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montauk1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 7:38am
Thanks,
I did go through the setup screens and made sure I had a connection.  Once that was done, the interface between FF and the 540 worked including sharing flight plans.  

I'm still very worried about why I could get WiFi on one flight and not the next.   I didn't change any settings.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic