Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD550 to G3X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD550 to G3X
    Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 1:54am
Does the Avidyne IFD550 STC authorize an interface connection to a Garmin G3X PFD Display? 

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 9:35am
G3X is not listed in the Installation Manual.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 2:44pm
I'm wondering, since the G3X will work with the GNS4xx/5xx would it be possible to install the G3X with a field approval the same as installing the GI275 prior to the 10.3.0.2 software?

Then again many shops won't want to go through the steps to do so.

-PA

atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

G3X is not listed in the Installation Manual.

That’s a pity.
Howabout the Garmin G500 TXi ?
Which unfortunately is twice as much.
And probably twice as old.

atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 7:09pm
Garmin has flooded the market with their avionics. And they’re not too accommodating to the competition. Avidyne needs to offer comparable products, or they need to STC interfacing to the Garmin stuff. I would love to have a nice big PFD in my airplane, but can’t do it because I have an Avidyne GPS. 
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 8:07pm
It’s possible to get a field approval for the G3X.  The interface is the same GAD28 that the G5 uses.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by atomsite atomsite wrote:

...I would love to have a nice big PFD in my airplane, but can’t do it because I have an Avidyne GPS. 
That's certainly not true.  The IFD series will interface with plenty of EFISs.  Many of those are listed in the installation manual, including Aspen, G500/600 (including TXi), G5, GI275, and of course the Avidyne EXP5000. The G3X is not listed, but that doesn't mean you can't get it approved.  

Edited by AviSteve - 21 Sep 2022 at 9:12pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 9:46pm
The G5 and GI275 are small compared to a 10.6” diagonal display. I don’t care for the Aspen. The split display of the G600 doesn’t appeal to me. The G500 is a good option but costs twice as much as a G3X. The guy at the avionics shop said the G3X is a popular install at the moment. I’m unfamiliar with the EXP5000. I didn’t see it on the Avidyne website. That Vantage looks pretty sweet, but I think it’s only for a Cirrus. 

I was thinking about installing two GI275s to replace the Attitude & Heading Indicators. But then the guy at the avionics shop pointed out that’s almost the same price as one G3X. Hmmm, I was waiting for Avidyne to put the GI275 on their STC, which they just did. I appreciate that. I know it costs a lot of money, so thank you. So now I have the dilemma, should I wait and hope that Avidyne puts the G3X on their STC. Or should I install GI275s…. 

GI 275 -10 + -20 = $8,628
G3X + GSU 25D = $12,548

That price doesn’t include the magnetometer, etc. Installation labor is more for the G3X too. 

Edited by atomsite - 23 Sep 2022 at 2:00pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 3:52am
What about Dynon? MzeroA has the IFD/Dynon pair in all their videos and they seem to work well together.
Vince
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 7:17am

The G5 and GI275 are small compared to a 10.6” diagonal display. I don’t care for the Aspen. The split display of the G600 doesn’t appeal to me. The G500 is a good option but costs twice as much as a G3X. The guy at the avionics shop said the G3X is a popular install at the moment. I’m unfamiliar with the EXP5000. I didn’t see it on the Avidyne website. That Vantage looks pretty sweet, but I think it’s only for a Cirrus. 

I was thinking about installing two GI275s to replace the Attitude & Heading Indicators. But then the guy at the avionics shop pointed out that’s almost the same price as one G3X. Hmmm, I was waiting for Avidyne to put the GI275 on their STC, which they just did. I appreciate that. I know it costs a lot of money, so thank you. So now I have the dilemma, should I wait and hope that Avidyne puts the G3X on their STC. Or should I install GI275s…. 

I agree generally with what has been said.  Aspen units are unreliable and I don’t trust the failure modes.  These are not a good choice if IFR is going to be flown.  Right now, the G3X series provides the most value for the installation of a PFD, and interfaces with almost all the autopilots.  If your airplane is on the STC list, the GFC500 is also the best value for an autopilot. 

Avidyne really needs to offer a PFD and the DFC90 autopilot servos. I’d choose that over any of the other offerings.  Make the PFD like the R9 PFD or a large IFD where it has a combination of buttons and touch screen.  
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 10:44am
A touchscreen with dedicated buttons are good. It’s hard to use the touchscreen in turbulence. 
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

What about Dynon? MzeroA has the IFD/Dynon pair in all their videos and they seem to work well together.

Does the Avidyne IFD550 STC authorize connection to a Dynon SkyView HDX ?

The STC that came with my IFD550 says it can only interface with items specified in paragraph 2.3 of the installation manual. I don't have the latest install manual. Is there anything from Dynon in there?

That Dynon appears to be a good product at half the cost of the G3X. It has more pixels than the G3X too. However it won’t drive a Century autopilot. 

Edited by atomsite - 23 Sep 2022 at 1:45pm
rsharp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 1:16am
I am installing a G600TXi, GI275, GFC600, Aspen 1000 (copilot side), GTX345, PMA450B, with an IFD550 and IFD540 as primary GPS NAV/COM units driving the displays in a Cessna 421C.
I realize it would have been much easier to install a pair of GTN750Xi's (HSDB interfaces only) instead of the Avidyne IFD series, but I have used the GTNs before and they are not as intuitive and the updates cost big $ in the long run.
Every time you want an update you get a huge unlock fee!
Try to ask Garmin to update their units for future enhancements at no cost just by asking on a forum.
Even the massive NAV updates are terrible, finally connected the GI275 to a GSB15 so the NavData can be updated via a USB stick.

The 550/540 are so much easier to use (great FMS system) and even with the minor issues of the 10.3 update it still has a multitude of capabilities that can be updated in the field.
Imagine, customers asking for those special features and getting it without a huge upgrade fee.

This is a great Engineering/Business model; We did this at Apple Computer;  Upgrade the hardware and/or software updates via Firmware enhancements and give the customer the feature sets they want without having to change the hardware, at least most of the time. grin

atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 1:35am
Wow, that looks super... 
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 6:41am
If it ere me, I would ditch the EDM930 and install a G500/600 7” display for the engine gauges to better integrate the avionics and remove one vender from your panel.

I would also ditch the Aspen and the copilot standby attitude and replace with dual GI275s, again to remove one vender and better integrate your panel.  The Aspen does not have a good reliability track record and it requires another external antenna thing.

I’m an Avidyne fan through and through, but in the spirit of fairness and accuracy, the statements about Garmin databases isn’t quite right.  I’m a CFI and manage several airplanes.  The database service from Garmin (not Jeppesen) is on par with a similar subscription for an Avidyne unit.  Also, the update process, while different from Avidyne’s is quite simple and fast with databases propagating through all the devices using a single upload.  It also allows for the storage of a current and future database which makes it nice for travel when crossing expiration dates.
rsharp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

If it ere me, I would ditch the EDM930 and install a G500/600 7” display for the engine gauges to better integrate the avionics and remove one vender from your panel.
I would also ditch the Aspen and the copilot standby attitude and replace with dual GI275s, again to remove one vender and better integrate your panel.  The Aspen does not have a good reliability track record and it requires another external antenna thing.
I’m an Avidyne fan through and through, but in the spirit of fairness and accuracy, the statements about Garmin databases isn’t quite right.  I’m a CFI and manage several airplanes.  The database service from Garmin (not Jeppesen) is on par with a similar subscription for an Avidyne unit.  Also, the update process, while different from Avidyne’s is quite simple and fast with databases propagating through all the devices using a single upload.  It also allows for the storage of a current and future database which makes it nice for travel when crossing expiration dates.

THE EDM 960 has a some nice features. I'm an A&P/IA and many parts of the JPI are more robust. 
Simple connection between JPI and Avidyne. So far happy with the JPI during engine runs and alerts.
We had already purchased the JPI since we didn't know if we were getting the GDU1060 in time. 
(Glad we got the GDU600 though since Aspen C3 was not as friendly with the GFC600, unless you have the Max which is not certified yet for C3 aircraft) 
We had bought the C3 Aspens first since I couldn't get the G600 in a timely manner but then one came available so Now I have a Full ASPEN C3 for sale. ($20K worth).
I'm an MEI as well. We currently use Jeppesen in all aircraft but maybe I should take a look at Garmin since subscriptions are getting into the Thousands. One reason for the GSB15 is to do a single load from a single point and charge the iPad using USB-C.  Another friend has a similar setup in his 421 but with all Garmin and he has had problems with downloads GTN750 etc. (Could be user error too?) Not sure if he's using Flight Stream since you can load via the 275 on a USB stick via the cable. Since the GI275 is Class III it's over $7.5K each. This ASPEN works out nice since it is a stand alone system with ADC/AHRS etc. and a total backup for the Copilot. The Aspen was only $5K. While in Class III mode (> 6K weight), the GI275 is FIXED in ADI standby mode so we cannot use the HSI or any other features it can provide. Very expensive ADI at this point. Can't even control the A/P or XPDR in this mode. 
BUT I wanted to remove the old gages etc so we purchased it to get rid of the other instruments.
It's been a long year restoring this 421C but it will be probably one of the cleanest ones around. 
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:49pm
Perhaps someone could kindly post paragraph 2.3 of the IFD 550 installation manual. Then I will know what the authorized interfaces are per the STC. 
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 12:51pm

Perhaps someone could kindly post paragraph 2.3 of the IFD 550 installation manual. Then I will know what the authorized interfaces are per the STC. 

Reach out to Avidyne Support, I'm pretty sure they'll provide you with a copy.
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 4:26pm
Hmmm, I don't see any proven interfaces to Dynon or to the G3X. Oh well, maybe next year.

BTW, proven interfaces got moved to paragraph 2.4. That's a no-no because the STC only authorizes devices listed in paragraph 2.3.

PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 7:25pm

Hmmm, I don't see any proven interfaces to Dynon or to the G3X. Oh well, maybe next year.

BTW, proven interfaces got moved to paragraph 2.4. That's a no-no because the STC only authorizes devices listed in paragraph 2.3.

{Image removed}

If you look at Dynon's website they offer the "IFR Connectifity Kit" which is "ARINC-429 Adapter to connect to most modern GPS and GPS/NAV integrated navigators. Compatible with the Avidyne IFD series, Garmin GTN, GNS, GPS 175, and similar."  So Dynon has the Avidyne in their expected list of GPS navigators to connect to.  Then searching for the HDX install manual on Dynon's web site you can see that their installation manual lists the Avidyne IFD as a source plus in Dynon's FAQ they say "SkyView HDX is compatible with popular navigators like the Avidyne IFD series..."

Regarding the paragraph 2.3, the STC goes on to say "...OR later FAA approved revision."  I would see no reason why the later approved revision couldn't move the list to paragraph 2.4 or someplace else.

Edited by PA23 - 26 Sep 2022 at 7:57pm
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2022 at 10:43pm
It's a puzzle. Can the IDD550 be connected to an HDX if its not listed in the Avidyne installation manual? Also the Dynon Arinc interface device is not listed in the Avidyne installation manual either. Maybe Dynon is making an unapproved claim. I'm not sure how this government red tape works....

BTW, the Dynon installation manual (103261-000) never mentions Avidyne. It only depicts a connection to Garmin navigators in Section 15. The STC requires that equipment must be installed using document 103261-000 Revision K, dated 11/23/2021. Paragraph 2.1 and 2.2 says that you can connect to any 3rd party product that is FAA/TSO approved. Hmmm, maybe that is the authorization required. It says to contact Dynon Avionics Technical Support to obtain instructions for connecting to other devices. Unfortunately that HDX won't work with a Century autopilot. 

Edited by atomsite - 26 Sep 2022 at 11:37pm
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 12:12pm
I took a closer look at that G3X. To fly IFR you need to have a G5 backup instrument. Also to drive a Century autopilot you need a G5 and a GAD 29. Driving a Century autopilot is not built-in to the G3X. Makes sense I suppose. Why integrate a feature that drives up the price, that only a few people want. A GI 275 (-20) would be better, since its essentially a G5 with a built-in GAD 29.

Edited by atomsite - 30 Sep 2022 at 12:22pm
atomsite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atomsite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 2:04pm
The Dynon STC appears to authorize connecting their HDX to an IFD 550. Add a GI 275 as a standby flight display, plus the ability to drive a Century autopilot...  looks like the best solution for my situation. Also its much less expensive than a G500.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic