Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540/550 and S-TEC 50 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540/550 and S-TEC 50 question
    Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by M20C M20C wrote:

Thanks for the information. 

By shops only, does that mean authorized dealers only or only people with an A&P?

Don't know for sure, but I expect it is certified dealers only.

* Orest
M20C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 6:36pm
Thanks for the information. 

By shops only, does that mean authorized dealers only or only people with an A&P?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 6:34pm
You will need GPSS from somewhere, if you want to run the STec 50 with a GPS track. That can be the discrete box you have, an ASPEN which has a GPSS capability built-in, other sources as well.

In contrast the STec 55x does have a GPSS built-in.

Avidyne used to provide install manuals to the general public, but these are now restricted to shops only.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 24 Sep 2022 at 6:37pm
M20C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 5:06pm
Hi guys, I have a couple of probably dumb questions but, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on my own so I'm going to ask them anyway.

I'd like to put an IFD540 or IFD550 in my plane, which already has an S-Tec 50 and an older GPSS.  Can I run the S-Tec 50 directly from the IFD and eliminate the current GPSS or will I need to keep it?

Next question, can any A&P do the install or does it need to be someone that is Avidyne certified? 

I appreciate the help, please don't be too rough on me, I promise I made an effort to answer these questions on my own.  Absent an installation manual, I just haven't been able to come up with the answers.  Which actually brings up one last question, is it possible to get a PDF copy of the installation manual to study before making a final decision?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic