Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 540 crashes when non AR RF approach is scrolled by
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

540 crashes when non AR RF approach is scrolled by

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C88atapult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 540 crashes when non AR RF approach is scrolled by
    Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 4:00am
Maybe this is only my IFD540, but:

After the 10.3 upgrade, I was curious to see what the KCRQ non AR RF approach (RNAV X Rwy 24) would look like when loaded.  Previously the IFD would display the approach starting at KANEC, the IF, and not show any of the RF "arc."  Glad I did this on the ground...

What it showed after the upgrade when I selected the approach was the black screen of death. After the box rebooted, (merrily displaying the Melbourne tower freq, not the SoCal ATC freq I would have had in there), I chose other approaches to see if they would load.  They did.  I discovered that if I scrolled very fast past the RF approach, the box stayed alive. If I scrolled by (not even hitting enter) at a normal pace in order to select an approach beneath it, it crashed.

I went into maintenance mode, enabled RF Legs and tada!  No more crashing.  That's a hell of an error message, Avidyne.  Just tell us somewhere in the vids or guide to make sure RF Legs are enabled.
There probably aren't a lot of non AR RF approaches out there, but KCRQ is a huge IFR practice airport in SoCal, so somebody is going to experience this mid-air if this is not isolated to just my 540.

I'm going Klingon on this upgrade and calling it a garbage scow, @AviSteve...

And yes, I have it on video.
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 9:02am
that is  a failure without honor.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 10:11am
...and the bugs keep coming.  🙄😢🙈😬😵😲
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 11:09am
Originally posted by C88atapult C88atapult wrote:

...I'm going Klingon on this upgrade and calling it a garbage scow, @AviSteve...
To quote Garfield the cat, I hate Mondays...

I wish I had a good comeback, or at least an excuse.  Definitely a bug.

Edited by AviSteve - 24 Oct 2022 at 1:23pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 11:18am
Thankfully I haven't hit upon any critical bugs, I have encountered a handful of annoyance issues on features I'd like to use.

I'm guessing a 10.3.0.3 (.4? .5?) will be forthcoming, the question is how fast Avidyne can get it ready to ship along with whatever FAA approvals they need.
C88atapult View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C88atapult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Maybe "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a miracle worker...."?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by C88atapult C88atapult wrote:

Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Maybe "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a miracle worker...."?
LOL!  I'm off my game today :)
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
n144sh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote n144sh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 7:52pm
I love Avidyne and have installed dozens of IFD's and always recommend Avidyne over Garmin, but I gotta say 10.3 is a s#$t show.   After literally years of delays which presumably could have been used to continue testing, the amount of serious bugs is astonishing.

Hopefully the response  to fix the issues won't take another 2 years.
Dallas90 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dallas90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 2:41pm
I also have loved my Avidyne equipment but I had the Klingon dishonor ceremony. (upgrade to 10.2.6.1) it costs you a couple hundred bucks for the labor (a bargain a twice the price). It will be a long long time before I try any upgrades on my 440's again.
Stated with all due honor and respect, isn't it time for Avidyne to pull 10.3 before someone gets hurt?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic