Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10.3 known issues/bugs - list?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10.3 known issues/bugs - list?
    Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 10:20am
I think it's time we had a comprehensive list of issues/bugs from Avidyne with a status of each.  Avidyne has been incredible with their transparency over the years, and hopefully that will continue through this 10.3 debacle. 

These are the two that are causing me the most trouble.  There are many more that have been reported in this forum, including one that reboots the IFD!

1. Frequency issue - The active and standby frequency fields do not retain the last values after a power cycle.  Rather, they get initialized to "default" values of 118.2 and 132.65, respectively.
2. Altitude Setpoints over ARINC429 - If an altitude constraint is present, an altitude setpoint is sent out over the ARINC429 interface (the value sent is the altitude constraint +1), even if Enroute VNAV is turned off.  This is a new behavior with 10.3 and causes unexpected operation from at least some autopilots. 

Hey Avidyne, can you share a list of reported issues/bugs/anomalies, with a status for each?  The status should indicate whether it's a confirmed bug or just the new normal, whether Avidyne has found a solution yet, etc.  Also, it would be nice to know how/when Avidyne plans to fix the confirmed bugs.  Are they working on an update to be released in the next few days or weeks?  Or should we expect to live with this for another year or more?  

Edited by pburger - 27 Oct 2022 at 2:09pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2022 at 10:23pm
At the risk of appearing opaque, I'm not prepared to share any plans or potential release notes.  Rest assured we've heard the concerns and are working on solutions.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
C88atapult View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote C88atapult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 9:45pm
Steve,

I agree with the OP.  It would be helpful for the users to have an ongoing curated list of bugs with any short term workarounds or situational details related to the bugs.  

That would allow us to review in one location what to look out for and confirm what we've reported has been received, instead of searching for keywords that might not match and spamming the forum with items that have been already reported.

This could be a static page on the Avidyne website and would show good faith on the part of your upper management.  Your engineers in the forum and your support staff via email are highly responsive. I would hope your QA and communications department were equally responsive and responsible, too.

Thank you.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 3:57pm
I starting to create my own list based upon what people have been posting and/or my own experiences.  Right now I've only seen one critical bug which deals with RF legs, but the poster provided a method to prevent the IFD from restarting, and I don't have any RF approaches anywhere near where I fly (yet).

Edited by PA23 - 01 Nov 2022 at 4:23pm
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 9:26am
The list I've compiled so far includes 15 items that have been publicly discussed, I'm sure there are more that either I've missed or have not been discussed publicly.  For the bug description either I've summarized the issue or I have simply taken the description verbatim from the posters message.  It is possible that some of these "bugs" are working as intended.

Bugs 10.3.0.2 (known)

1) *CRITICAL*  system reboot when highlighting or selecting non-RNP required AR/RF approach -  work-around enable RF legs in maintenance mode?

2) IFD loses the last selected frequencies upon power up
3) Altitude Setpoints over ARINC429 - If an altitude constraint is present, an altitude setpoint is sent out over the ARINC429 interface (the value sent is the altitude constraint +1), even if Enroute VNAV is turned off.  This is a new behavior with 10.3 and causes unexpected operation from at least some autopilots.
4) EFB loses connectivity to the IFD to push flight plans (Unable - IFD became unresponsive)
5) unable to connect an android device to the IFD (work around available)
6) (dual IFDs) If I try to enter a direct-to airport, my other IFD440 will pop up the keyboard as expected... I can then try to type the icao id of the airport which works fine... however, the "Activate KXYZ" simply comes and immediately goes away... My current workaround is to use the BT keyboard which allows the "Activate KXYZ" to persist until I select it
7) when using ADS-B in from a wireless device (eg Stratux), IFD will randomly reject connections and issue various datalink errors, may also extend to hardwired units
8) (dual IFDs) I cannot seem to edit the "cross"/"at"/"wxyz ft" section in the FMS via the latest IFD100 on my iPad... I have no problems editing it on either IFD-440 though.
9) (dual IFDs)  I have seen cases where on one of my IFD-440's, I can "direct-to KXYZ" but that my other IFD-440's FMS will still show the previous "direct-to" that was entered.
10) TOD descent rate reset to a descent ANGLE of 4 degrees instead of fpm as was originally (AUX -> Setup -> FMS, expand FMS, expand VNAV and set the descent rate appropriately.
11) airdata calculator brings up full keyboard instead of numeric only
12) IFD offering UHF frequencies (Jeppesen? Avidyne? issue?)
13) IFD not always ID'ing nav frequencies (showing EE)
14) No Comm Icarus Alt (false alarm message, clear and continue)
15) some users have reported that they are unable to acquire a GPS signal after power up - seems to be very few and might be a red herring

Edited by PA23 - 03 Nov 2022 at 11:01am
bradthepilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 11:13am

Don't forget the "Datalink Function Lost" message a lot of us with both hardwired and WiFi-attached ADS-B receivers are seeing.     My setup worked without issue for about two years running 10.2; 10.3 causes loss of all ADS-B weather products 15-ish minutes after startup after showing the aforementioned message.

Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 11:35am
I haven't seen anybody mention hardwired ADS-B in issues until your message about it ADS-B in, the wireless ADS-B in I have as #7.  Then again that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

I am using hardwired to an NGT9000 and I don't have issues other than the occasional "late message" (?)

I'll add it to the list by extending item 7 to "potentially include wired connections too".

Edited by PA23 - 02 Nov 2022 at 11:48am
Dallas90 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 11:53am
I would like to add something to your list that is a mistake being touted as a feature. 
(Reminders no longer trigger the MSG alert on some PFDs).
This should be a user option, since it will someday keep someone from running a tank dry or getting an out of limits fuel imbalance. 
Building a reminder in some heavier aircraft will get you a "Message Alert" and an aural warning that will repeat every couple of minutes until cleared. That is an appropriate level of alerting for reminders.
Avidyne is stating that this was suggested by pilots, but I believe they confused a desire for less "Class (B,C,D) airspace ahead" alerts with removing all alerts that are not major system failures form the PFD.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C88atapult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by PA23 PA23 wrote:

The list I've compiled so far includes 15 items that have been publicly discussed, I'm sure there are more that either I've missed or have not been discussed publicly.  For the bug description either I've summarized the issue or I have simply taken the description verbatim from the posters message.  It is possible that some of these "bugs" are working as intended.

Bugs 10.3.0.2 (known)

1) *CRITICAL*  system reboot when highlighting or selecting AR/RF approach -  work-around enable RF legs in maintenance mode?

Thanks for doing this, @PA23.  I reported the 1st item.  Please edit your post to show it is for non-Auth Required Radius to Fix approaches. These approaches are usable by all GA aircraft and pilots,  which is why I stumbled across it.  I do not know how an Auth Required/Radius to Fix approach would behave with the maintenance default of RF Legs = Disabled. 

I can confirm that setting the maintenance value of RF Legs = Enabled prevented a crash and reboot when highlighting or selecting a non AR/RF approach.  Example is SoCal's KCRQ RNAV X Rwy 24.

Please continue maintaining this list!

PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2022 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by C88atapult C88atapult wrote:

Thanks for doing this, @PA23.  I reported the 1st item.  Please edit your post to show it is for non-Auth Required Radius to Fix approaches. These approaches are usable by all GA aircraft and pilots,  which is why I stumbled across it.  I do not know how an Auth Required/Radius to Fix approach would behave with the maintenance default of RF Legs = Disabled. 

I can confirm that setting the maintenance value of RF Legs = Enabled prevented a crash and reboot when highlighting or selecting a non AR/RF approach.  Example is SoCal's KCRQ RNAV X Rwy 24.

Please continue maintaining this list!

hopefully the RNP procedures don't show up in the select-able list, they shouldn't.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Dallas90 Dallas90 wrote:

I would like to add something to your list that is a mistake being touted as a feature. 
(Reminders no longer trigger the MSG alert on some PFDs).
This should be a user option, since it will someday keep someone from running a tank dry or getting an out of limits fuel imbalance. 
Building a reminder in some heavier aircraft will get you a "Message Alert" and an aural warning that will repeat every couple of minutes until cleared. That is an appropriate level of alerting for reminders.
Avidyne is stating that this was suggested by pilots, but I believe they confused a desire for less "Class (B,C,D) airspace ahead" alerts with removing all alerts that are not major system failures form the PFD.

Not so sure this qualifies as a bug but rather a design decision that might need to be revisited by Avidyne if they get enough user feedback on it.

Although I'm not a programmer, I am in the IT industry and work very close with programmers and one thing I've learned over the years when working with software programmers and design, is everybody is going to have a different idea of how things should be done or how they should be presented to the user and sometimes you need to compromise to get a reasonable result which undoubtedly makes some people upset because "it shouldn't be done that way!"

I am heavily involved with Avare which is an Android EFB and a few years ago at OSH I met up with a small group of Avare users to get an idea of what features they MUST have.  Wow was I in for a shock, being an IFR pilot flying in the north east I simply assumed everybody was going to use the software similar to how I envisioned it being used, boy was I wrong!  Some of the users I met up with fly out west in the backcountry, they were more concerned with the non FAA charts that showed roads and topographic features as they were always looking for the uncharted airstrip someplace "near Fred's farm", they could care less about approach plates and really didn't care too much about the sectional chart either.

Dallas90 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2022 at 12:43pm
I agree with you and even noted it was a design decision in my opening sentence. I also am no programmer, but I do have 23,000 hours in everything from 152's to 787's and find this to be a potential safety of flight issue. It's been 35 years since I was a flight instructor, but I keep an eye out for threats to the way I operate as well as how it might be a threat to others. Thinking back on some of my students as they developed their skills, there were some that would have easily missed a reminder out of their immediate field of view early in their training. Also keep in mind that while some have an IFD mounted up on their panel, others have it (as in my SR-20) a bit more out of your immediate field of view. In this case, it can be a decision and a bug!

Edited by Dallas90 - 03 Nov 2022 at 7:41pm
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 2:02pm

Bugs 10.3.0.2 (known)

1) *CRITICAL*  system reboot when highlighting or selecting non-RNP required AR/RF approach -  work-around enable RF legs in maintenance mode?
2) *potentially critical* some users have reported that they are unable to acquire a GPS signal after power up or WAAS integrity warnings during approaches - downgrade to 10.2 and the issues went away - not all users are experiencing this issue.

3) IFD loses the last selected frequencies upon power up
4) Altitude Setpoints over ARINC429 - If an altitude constraint is present, an altitude setpoint is sent out over the ARINC429 interface (the value sent is the altitude constraint +1), even if Enroute VNAV is turned off.  This is a new behavior with 10.3 and causes unexpected operation from at least some autopilots.
6) (dual IFDs) If I try to enter a direct-to airport, my other IFD440 will pop up the keyboard as expected... I can then try to type the icao id of the airport which works fine... however, the "Activate KXYZ" simply comes and immediately goes away... My current workaround is to use the BT keyboard which allows the "Activate KXYZ" to persist until I select it
7) when using ADS-B in from a wireless device (eg Stratux), IFD will randomly reject connections and issue various datalink errors, may also extend to hardwired units
8) (dual IFDs) I cannot seem to edit the "cross"/"at"/"wxyz ft" section in the FMS via the latest IFD100 on my iPad... I have no problems editing it on either IFD-440 though.
9) (dual IFDs)  I have seen cases where on one of my IFD-440's, I can "direct-to KXYZ" but that my other IFD-440's FMS will still show the previous "direct-to" that was entered.
10) TOD descent rate reset to a descent ANGLE of 4 degrees instead of fpm as was originally (AUX -> Setup -> FMS, expand FMS, expand VNAV and set the descent rate appropriately.
15) EFB loses connectivity to the IFD to push flight plans (Unable - IFD became unresponsive)

PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 2:05pm
I've updated my list slightly with the user identified bugs.  I personally am not ready to downgrade, but I am watching closely.

-PA
vas4avidyne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vas4avidyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 12:28am
@PA23, based on the thread that I initiated in http://forums.avidyne.com/potential-rnav-approach-issue-with-ifd540_topic2433.html, you should probably add the issue of an RNAV approach getting downgraded from LPV to LNAV minimums AFTER the IF (in certain situations) to this list. I think this would qualify as a major issue.

Thanks,

Vas
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 10:55am
Originally posted by vas4avidyne vas4avidyne wrote:

@PA23, based on the thread that I initiated in http://forums.avidyne.com/potential-rnav-approach-issue-with-ifd540_topic2433.html, you should probably add the issue of an RNAV approach getting downgraded from LPV to LNAV minimums AFTER the IF (in certain situations) to this list. I think this would qualify as a major issue.

Thanks,

Vas

I think I got that one as #2, at the very least it sounds related

2) *potentially critical* some users have reported that they are unable to acquire a GPS signal after power up or WAAS integrity warnings during approaches - downgrade to 10.2 and the issues went away - not all users are experiencing this issue.
I think a loss of WAAS or a poor GPS signal would cause the LPV approach to become unavailable.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 11:55am

Bugs 10.3.0.2 (known)

2) *potentially critical* some users have reported that they are unable to acquire a GPS signal after power up or WAAS integrity warnings during approaches - downgrade to 10.2 and the issues went away - not all users are experiencing this issue, possibly related to early hardware revisions

3) IFD loses the last selected frequencies upon power up
4) Altitude Setpoints over ARINC429 - If an altitude constraint is present, an altitude setpoint is sent out over the ARINC429 interface (the value sent is the altitude constraint +1), even if Enroute VNAV is turned off.  This is a new behavior with 10.3 and causes unexpected operation from at least some autopilots.
15) EFB loses connectivity to the IFD to push flight plans (Unable - IFD became unresponsive)
16) When IFD100 is connected a second (EFB) device is not recognized.

minor update to #2 and addition of #16

I'm sure Avidyne is working on fixes, hopefully they will be out sooner rather than later.  Other than items #1 and #2 personally I find the issues to be more annoying and certainly not a safety of flight issue.  Item #1 has very few locations where it can be triggered and there exists a usable work around that prevents the crash.   After multiple flights I have determined that item #2 doesn't seem to effect me but YMMV.

Edited by PA23 - 24 Nov 2022 at 12:03pm
LarryPetro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 2:00pm
My IFD440s (10.2 versions) have been experiencing GPS Integrity Lost during RNAV approaches for a couple years. LPV approaches are downgraded to LNAV, or lower. This seems to occur while in the course reversal, most commonly.
Larry Petro - Columbia 350 @ KFME
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C88atapult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by LarryPetro LarryPetro wrote:

My IFD440s (10.2 versions) have been experiencing GPS Integrity Lost during RNAV approaches for a couple years. LPV approaches are downgraded to LNAV, or lower. This seems to occur while in the course reversal, most commonly.

Any chance this is happening during a bank in the course reversal?  Support, install manual and local avionics tech indicate that the GPS antenna must be at least 6 inches away from another GPS antenna to avoid interference and at least 18 inches from a non-TSO'd GPS antenna (Stratus/Stratux/etc).

I have my L3 txpdr GPS antenna right next to the Avidyne GPS antenna, due to a bad install job.  I can  lose GPS ownship placement and the map can freeze during a 90 degree turn (or more).

If you've got another GPS antenna or a separate antenna for both your 440's and they are close to each other, this might be the issue.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 5:50pm
There is certainly lots of banking during the course reversal, which I think is relevant. I think the problems occur after flying for an hour or, two, which is when the IFDs are heat soaked. The two GPS antennas are five feet apart; the closest antenna to one is 3 feet; and the closest antenna (an XM antenna) to the other is 1.5 ft. To me, the separations seem reasonable, but maybe not.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C88atapult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 7:21pm
@LarryPetro,

Those separations are more than adequate, based on what support and the avionics tech told me.  Sorry, I thought I might have had a idea for you.  Best of luck.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 7:28pm
The plane goes into the avionics shop Tuesday. I'll see what they find.

Thanks.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 8:26pm
don't discount the antenna, the waas antennas are powered and have an amplifier in them, I have had them go bad in the past.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2022 at 8:37pm
Thanks. I appreciate the suggestions. which I'll pass on to Lancaster Avionics.
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 10:41am
I am assuming, from what I have seen so far after updating to 10.3.1.2, that #2 on your list has been fixed: 
2) IFD loses the last selected frequencies upon power up

I am still seeing #14 on both of my 540s: 
Anyone have any information on this one?   If it's truly just a spurious message, that is fine.  But, I haven't heard much from Avidyne on this one? 

Anyone? 

Ken

Edited by comancheguy - 23 Feb 2023 at 10:41am
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 10:53am
Originally posted by comancheguy comancheguy wrote:

No Comm Icarus Alt (false alarm message, clear and continue)
Anyone have any information on this one?   If it's truly just a spurious message, that is fine.  But, I haven't heard much from Avidyne on this one?
Every single instance of "No Comm Icarus" that we've investigated has been a configuration issue.  In all cases the configuration issue was present before 10.3.0.2.  The only thing new that 10.3.0.2 did was to issue an alert when the condition was detected.

Please check your configuration.  If you can confirm that your Icarus is indeed wired to the IFDs per the configuration, we would be glad to investigate this further.

Edited by AviSteve - 23 Feb 2023 at 11:31am
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 11:29am
Steve - 

Thanks for the reply. 

Ok, so this is new information.  Nothing changed in my configuration since before 10.3.0.2.

I had to rebuild all of my config settings (with tech support's help) after the boxes went to Avidyne for hardware fixes, and the factory didn't backup and restore the configs.   Had anyone told me to back everything up, I would have.  This was way back, for the GPS HW fixes.  

Since then, an Avidyne dealer who was way more familiar with the Brand G avionics added a 345 transponder.   I had to resolve many of the config / settings issues from that install to get everything working (again with a bit of help from tech support).   

I don't know why I have on 540 #1 (on the Main RS232 Config) CHNL 1 set to:  INPUT: Icarus-alt  Output Avtn no alt? 

Icarus is an altitude alerter?   I don't have one to my knowledge.   Could something else be using this setting?   The 345 perhaps?   This is likely what is causing the message to pop up.   But, why is it configured?   

Ken

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 11:34am
Originally posted by comancheguy comancheguy wrote:

I don't know why I have on 540 #1 (on the Main RS232 Config) CHNL 1 set to:  INPUT: Icarus-alt  Output Avtn no alt? 

Icarus is an altitude alerter?   I don't have one to my knowledge.   Could something else be using this setting?   The 345 perhaps?   This is likely what is causing the message to pop up.   But, why is it configured?
Icarus is an altitude encoder.  These are all excellent questions to ask your installer.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 2:39pm
Steve - 

Thanks for the reply.     I don't see this message in the pilot's guide for 10.3.0.2?  

I dug into this a bit.  I found some emails from tech support when we reconfigured all of this. 

I believe that the icarus-alt is there on RS232 channel #1 for my altitude encoder, a trans-cal SSD-120. 
Now, I don't know what is misconfigured.    I'll take it to a dealer if I can't figure this out.  

Let me ask you this? 
Should one see the P-ALT on the "Main Inputs" page, if one had an encoder wired to that pin? 

Thanks for your help, 

Ken
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 3:55pm
FYI I'm out until Tuesday, so doing this off the top of my head.  I could be wrong...

The message is documented in the PG, but it probably doesn't say Icarus.  It's a general message for any of the connected DAUs (data acquisition units), of which Icarus is one.  So look for "No Comm dau" in the PG.

Since you don't actually have an Icarus, I'll assume that you're sure about the data output of your trans-cal unit being compatible.  Assuming it is...

I believe you should see the decoded altitude on the Main Inputs page next to P-ALT.  If you're relatively sure the encoder is connected right and you still don't see a value there, then I'd call tech support to double check me.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2023 at 8:38pm
Thanks, Steve 

No problem.   I need to do some more digging and checking.  Thanks for the Pilot Guide info. 

Ken

Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2023 at 9:36pm
Ken,
Is your panel equiped with an ADC?
An Aspen or something like that?
If yes, the ADC takes the place of the encoder... At least in mine it does.
I have the icarus encoder "wired" to the xponder, and to the IFD as shown in the installation manual, but with the installation of the Aspen efis, I set the ADC up as the encoder.  (pitot / static /xponder tests/certs are listed as ADC)
I still have the Icarus shown on the mx pages, (rs232? ) I think.  I was going to set the icarus port to off.
Good luck to you.
Regards,
Randy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 7:34pm
Thanks, Randy. 

I don't have an Aspen, or an Icarus, but I do have a Trans-call SSD-120 encoder which can be wired to output altitude to the IFD-540 and uses the Icarus-alt setting.   I think that this is what is on port #1. 

I have more research to do. 

Ken

curellke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curellke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 1:21pm
Updated IFD540 to software 10.3.1.2.  After being reinstalled, initially the configuration page for the remote transponder did not display when the 540 was powered up.  The 540 was powered down, the 540 was reseated and powered up and the remote transponder page did then display.  Before the 540 was sent to Avidyne for the update, pictures of all the configuration and software pages were taken.  The previous settings for the 540 were confirmed against the settings on the remote transponder configuration page.  The transponder code box was available and all appeared normal for transponder operation.  However, a “NO COMM ICARUS ALT” error message subsequently displayed on the IFD540. The previous setting on the RS232 page for channel 1 showed “ICARUS-ALT for the input and “Aviation” for the output.  Those are the settings currently on the updated 540 (10.3.2.1).  The aircraft was flown and ATC did confirm correct Mode C readouts.  Furthermore, the Air Data page in the CALCULATIONS tab in the AUX pages did show a correct altitude readout highlighted in green.  Any ideas out there whey the “NO COMM ICARUS ALT” error message keeps displaying?  
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 3:16pm
+1: NO COMM ICARUS ALT
Klaus
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 4:32pm
No Comm Icarus Alt is presented when the IFD has not heard from the Icarus for 3 seconds.

Every single time I've looked into this alert, it has turned out to be a configuration issue.  Can you  confirm that the Icarus in your airplane is actually connected to the port that is configured on the Main RS232 Config page, and that it's transmitting data on that port?  If you can confirm both of those things and you're still getting this alert, then we can dig in further.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic