Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Com tuning and squelch issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 Com tuning and squelch issue
    Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 9:41am
A few months ago, my IFD540 running 10.2.6.1 started to develop 2 concurrent issues:
- On certain frequencies there is constant noise in between transmissions, regardless of squelch setting
- When listening to a transmission on the primary channel while tuning a new frequency on the standby channel (as you do when you're being passed a frequency change), the primary transmission would be interrupted for about a tenth of a second on each 'click' of the rotary frequency knob, so you can no longer understand ATC

Moreover, the squelch issue occasionally goes away and also comes back while tuning a different frequency on the standby channel - it will disappear and then come back every few knob 'clicks'

After upgrading to 10.3 I still have the same issue, which is so annoying I have reverted to no longer using the IFD for comm in flight.

Has anyone seen this before?

Is there a way to set the squelch level on the IFD?

Jorgen
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 1:07pm
There is a squelch level setting, it is on the maintenance side of the menus.

But just curious, why do you use the rotary knob to set your frequencies?? (especially now given this issue) I think I may have used the rotary knobs to tune only a handful of times in ten years.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 22 Nov 2022 at 9:23pm
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 9:21am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

But just curious, why do you use the rotary knob to set your frequencies?? (especially now given this issue) I think I may have used the rotary knobs to tune only a handful of times in ten years.

* Orest

Am I missing something???  How would you change frequencies without using the knobs?  Yes I guess you could use the keyboard either bluetooth, onscreen, or IFD100, plus I've found that the on route prompted frequencies aren't always what ATC gives me, also I think it would take longer to scan through them to find the correct one when talking to ATC.

My method of operation is that when ATC provides me with the next frequency I'm dialing it in with the knob as I'm reading it back to them.  I will sometimes but not always use the suggested frequencies as I'm getting into the terminal area to pick up ATIS and maybe the tower frequency but that is about it.

I guess as I've learned everybody comes up with a method that works well for them and sticks with it, of course it may not be what the architects envisioned, the developers programmed, and marketing shows off but that's another story.

-PA
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 11:26am
Quote Yes I guess you could use the keyboard either bluetooth, onscreen, or IFD100, plus .... the on route prompted frequencies ...

YES. ;-)

99% of the time I use my portable keyboard, which is attached to my yoke. Easy to click and read back at the same time. (same with the rare in-air transponder changes)

But, if I didn't use that, I'd just touch the frequency field (I have two standby blocks) and hit two or three onscreen numbers to load a freq.

Usually you can load the TWR freq in the offered "near" frequencies, but yes, the enroute freq are more hit & miss.

When flying locally, I use the preloaded frequencies, have a freq advance button on my yoke.

I actually can't remember the last time I used the circular motion on the knobs to tune a freq -- I left that behind when my GNS unit was pulled! Not saying that is good, bad or indifferent, just not what I do. I suppose if I was caught in the bumps, and my portable keyboard was down, I'd use the rotary knob, can't think of another scenario where I would.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Nov 2022 at 5:44pm
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 8:56pm
and I can't bring myself to use the BT keyboard, I've tried and it just doesn't do it for me.

I've found using the touch screen in turbulence can be tough and I'm thankful for knobs and buttons!  I've been in turbulence were everything in the map pockets hit the cabin ceiling (wife wasn't happy on that flight).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic