Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OBS and G%

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OBS and G%
    Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 9:08am
Can't seem to get my 540 and G5's to work together.  If I select OBS on the 540, then OBS on the G5, then select a heading on the G5, it's not reflected on the 540.  On another airplane with the old legacy King HSI, just turning the course knob on the HSI sets the OBS course.  What's going on?
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 8:35am
I have a G5 and IFD540.  I use OBS mode all the time - push the small upper right knob.  Once I do that, I go to the G5, push the knob to bring up the menu, and scroll to the right until I see OBS (this takes about 4 seconds to appear after pushing the IFD knob) then push the button which allows me to rotate the CDI to the desired OBS course.  Then push the knob again to set it.

What I seem to have lost is when in VLOC mode, I no longer see the green/white inbound/outbound radial displayed on the IFD.  Is that what you are talking about?
frankbell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 9:10am
Thanks for your answer!  Hadn’t noticed a problem in VLOC mode.  When on an ILS, I have the course on the 540 as expected.  Maybe you mean when using a VOR?

The problem I’m having relates to the procedure you describe… push the OBS button on the 540, then the button on the G5 to bring up the OBS course.  I can then select a course on the G5, but it doesn’t reflect on the 540.  I can rotate the knob on the 540 to slew the OBS course, but it’s difficult to tell what course is selected.  Seems like the two (G5 and 540) aren’t speaking clearly to each other. 
MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2023 at 11:44am
Frank, it sounds like one or more configurations may be incorrect for the G5, GAD29, and IFD.
Have the shop check out the configurations and see if anything is not as it should be. 
Here is a supplemental interface video hosted on our YouTube channel explaining the interface:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnXLT7NcTRs

Mike Salmon
Technical Marketing Manager
Avidyne Corporation
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic