Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > EX-Series Multi-Function Displays
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Active waypoint guidance disappears on MFD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyBill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Active waypoint guidance disappears on MFD
    Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 6:18pm
Recently our 2007 Cirrus SR20 started having an intermittent problem displaying the magenta course guidance to the next waypoint. Typically flying an approach with dual IFD 440s (10.3) and a DFC90 on the EX500 MFD display shows our magenta line to the next waypoint, the IAF, with the procedure turn depicted. Intermittently that magenta segment disappears for 2-5 seconds and then reappears. The IFD 440 accurately and continuously displays the info correctly and the A/P follows the IFD correctly. MFD just came back from repair, IFDs were swapped but problem persists.  Is this a 10.3 problem, a course guidance from IFD to MFD problem, or a wiring problem?  Anyone seen this before? The active waypoint block in the upper right corner of the MFD also looses the waypoint data but not always.  
Thanks for any insight…

Edited by FlyBill99 - 06 Jan 2023 at 6:24pm
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2023 at 11:53pm
I’m seeing the same problem.

I’m also seeing what I think is a related problem, when doing either an RNAV or Visual approach with vertical guidance in the PFD; the vertical guidance also disappears for the same 3-5 seconds. I have a single IFD 440, running 10.3. My MFD also just got back from repair, although it was just for a display issue. 

One other data point; if I switch the MFD to my GNS430W, which is currently on GPS1, this doesn’t happen at all.

Edited by Melohn - 12 Feb 2023 at 12:04am
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2023 at 9:24pm
Any further detail you can provide would help.  Video would be better.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
roemeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roemeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 12:46pm
I had the same issue on flights last week. By chance I was on the Trip page on the MFD, and the waypoints/destination would clear and in a second or two reload. I saw the magenta course clear and reappear on the Map page, too. I wasn't able to capture it either time it happened (best guess, half a dozen times over the course of a 40-minute flight). Also a 2007, but an SR22 TN with IFD550, IFD440, DFC90, AMX240, EX5000 (all running latest release versions).
Bobby Roe
N539SR, 2007 Cirrus SR22 TN
EX5000 PFD/MFD, AMX, IFD550, IFD440, DFC90
FlyBill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyBill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 1:43pm
it only happens for me when an approach is loaded. Going direct to does not make it malfunction. I have video, how can I upload it?
FlyBill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyBill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 1:55pm
I see now that there are three different airplanes having very similar problems and all have 10.3 installed.   Tech support led me to troubleshoot a wiring problem between MFD and PFD.  Sounds like this is just another 10.3 issue….
FlyBill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyBill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 1:58pm
sounds very much like ours, only in an approach.  There’s now way all three of us have the same problem and it be a wiring issue.  I will attempt to downgrade from 10.3 because of the the other issues we have with it, If I can.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 2:20pm
I'll have tech support send you a link so you can upload the video.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2023 at 2:43pm
I got your IFD back here in my office and tested with an MFD.  Of course, everything worked just fine.  No disappearing flight plans or data.  IFDs leave the factory with the latest software, but your exchange was happening around the same time we were rolling out 10.3.1.  Timing is everything, but since I didn't see the exchange unit you're getting, I'm not sure if it has 10.3.0 or 10.3.1.  When you get it installed, though, please let me know whether the issue is gone and which software revision your new IFD has.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
FlyBill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyBill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 6:27pm
Problem was in fact 10.3.  We installed 10.3.1.2 on our #2 that was moved up to Number 1 position and just got back from our test hop. Problem went away.  We also discovered that on the PFD HSI, the magenta line, waypoint, depictions of holds and other data was always missing from the HSI view.  I was so focused on waiting for it to drop off the MFD I didn't realize all that was missing from the HSI as well. When it started showing up I went back and looked at my photos of the avionics and found one of just the HSI and there was no magenta line while on course. Again as I said before, going DIRECT TO, the magenta line was on the HSI, AND on the MFD and never dropped off.  I noticed there was a ARINC 429 issued resolved(acccording to the software release notes pertaining to a -429 issue.  We only had time to fly one approach but before we had to land.

The new IFD was shipped to our repair shop and has now arrived so I'll fly over tomorrow to pick it up, (and update to 10.3.1.2 if it isn't already) and get the config setup correctly. Hopefully this is the fix.

Keep you posted
FlyBill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyBill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 6:31pm
I had always felt it was a software issue.  We updated to 10.3.1.2 and the problem has been resolved. Something with the ARINC -429 data was amiss I guess.  If you update to the new software let me know how that works out.

We also noticed today after debriefing from the test hop and looking at the photos that no only was the data dropping off the MFD but all the labels for waypoints, depiction of the hold and the magenta line was also back. I guess we were so focused on the MFD issue that we didn't pay as much attention to the HSI.  
FlyBill99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyBill99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 6:32pm
10.3.1.2 fixed the issue for us...
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2023 at 8:29pm
I won't argue with success, but that does surprise me.  The 429 issue you mentioned was purely related to visual approaches.  There were no other changes in 10.3.1.2 that would account for the change in behavior.  Please do keep me posted after you get the new IFD installed.

Edited by AviSteve - 24 Feb 2023 at 8:32pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic