Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RNAV sequencing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RNAV sequencing
    Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 2:53pm
If I enter an RNAV while I'm several miles from IAF (BOLTZ).

I activate teh approach.  It initially show GPS-LNAV  and the published hold at BOLTZ is displayed.

Then I notice a blue box message  Exit Hold at Fix, which I press. 

It appears that its still expecting me to do at least one circuit in the HOLD.  I have to go around the hold before the GPS-LNAV goes to LPV

I wanted to not do the HOLD.  Do I have to manually delete the HOLD?  Seems to me there was a soft key message to delete Hold before, don't recall seeing that this time just the exit hold at fix.

Edited by cavu - 09 Jan 2023 at 2:58pm
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 11:03pm
in an RNAV approach, when it has a procedure turn, and you are going direct, you can remove procedure turn manually.

i try to remove the hold prior to enabling the approach when i fly.
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 9:59am
I always thought there was a delete hold button on the left when a hold was present.  But apparently you have to go to the FP, select the hold then press the Delete Hold. 

Not sure why the Exit Hold at fix prompt wouldn't accomplish the same thing since I'm approaching the fix.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 4:44pm
The actual message text is "Exiting Hold At Fix".  It's an alert telling you what the system is going to do, not a command to the system.  When you press the message, all you're doing is acknowledging the message.

If you don't plan to execute the course reversal, you can delete the hold.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2023 at 4:43pm
Be certain to advise ATC if you plan not to use the hold or its entry as the entry to the approach. They have no other way of knowing that you don't need the hold entry to execute a course reversal. As an example, ATC told me the other day that I had to use the hold entry as a way to get into the approach that they had just cleared me for even though I could have made it without that. It is all about expectations.
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 6:14am
Originally posted by compasst compasst wrote:

Be certain to advise ATC if you plan not to use the hold or its entry as the entry to the approach. They have no other way of knowing that you don't need the hold entry to execute a course reversal. As an example, ATC told me the other day that I had to use the hold entry as a way to get into the approach that they had just cleared me for even though I could have made it without that. It is all about expectations.

Cleared for the approach doesn't clear you to skip the hold UNLESS you were explicitly cleared for straight-in approach. Only 4 specific scenarios as per AIM when you re not expected to do a hold. 

The procedure turn or hold-in-lieu-of-PT is a required maneuver when it is depicted on the approach chart, unless cleared by ATC for a straight-in approach. Additionally, the procedure turn or hold-in-lieu-of-PT is not permitted when the symbol “No PT” is depicted on the initial segment being used, when a RADAR VECTOR to the final approach course is provided, or when conducting a timed approach from a holding fix. The altitude prescribed for the procedure turn is a minimum altitude until the aircraft is established on the inbound course. The maneuver must be completed within the distance specified in the profile view. For a hold-in-lieu-of-PT, the holding pattern direction must be flown as depicted and the specified leg length/timing must not be exceeded.

NOTE-The pilot may elect to use the procedure turn or hold-in-lieu-of-PT when it is not required by the procedure, but must first receive an amended clearance from ATC. If the pilot is uncertain whether the ATC clearance intends for a procedure turn to be conducted or to allow for a straight-in approach, the pilot must immediately request clarification from ATC.

Source: Aeronautical Information Manual, §5-4-9.a

PA28-236 @N14
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic