Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to inhibit terrain warnings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to inhibit terrain warnings
    Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 11:09am
Recent InFO serves to inform operators about the risks associated with distraction and complacency brought about by routine use of the TAWS’ terrain inhibit feature. It is also intended to ensure operators understand the importance of having procedures and training for the use of the terrain inhibit aural warning switches associated with nuisance alerts.

Can you describe procedure for inhibiting terrain warnings inflight to comply with this InFo?
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 6:10pm
I have installed the Mid Continent MD41 TAWS annunciator (sourced from eBay for $100) and it is wired to my IFD using the discrete outputs for lighting TAWS warning and caution.  included is an inhibit button that will turn off the warnings.  There have been some improvements in the 10.3.2.1 release over the older 10.2.X.X versions and it now works well.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 11:23pm
https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/info23003

There is a pin that you can connect to a switch that will inhibit terrain warnings.  This is very useful for anybody who flies around mountains.  I get that they don't want people using it, but I'm not sure they'd have the same opinion if they regularly flew in the mountains and had the warning going off all the time.

I don't fully agree of the info because they are suggesting you should tolerate nuisance and distraction warnings in case someday they are useful.  This ignores how pilots will become desensitized and that the warnings won't be effective when not inhibited.

I'm not 135, but I have a pre-flight checklist item to disable the inhibit terrain warning switch.

Edited by brou0040 - 10 Apr 2023 at 11:23pm
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/info/all_infos/info23003

There is a pin that you can connect to a switch that will inhibit terrain warnings. 

This pin appears to only be available in the IFD 5xx series. There should be a way to mute excessive or incorrect terrain warnings; I use this frequently with my KGP 560, which gets confused occasionally and expresses a concerning “pull up” warning that bothers passengers.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic