Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ILS engagement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ILS engagement
    Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 10:27am
Dear all,

I am a new dual IFD owner. Despite I read all the possible documents, and watched the videos; I still cannot figure out the vtf ILS engagement. 

If I follow a standard arrival route & approach by the plate; all works fine. In case of vectors to final approach (I always choose an approach not to lose the points, so I dont choose VTF in IFD) I have no GS or lateral guidance.

where do I make the mistake? how do you do it guys?
even if it might sound stupid I would appreciate your feedback. (or send me over to a link pls in the forum)

best
TTB
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 11:10am
you might have to make a video so i can see what you are doing.

but i’ll take a stab in the dark.

1 - are you on VLOC mode when capturing the localizer?

the ifd has automation to change from GPS to VLOC but i prefer to do that manually and control when i go to radio nav guidance.  
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 11:12am
i actually made a video of how to fly an ILS with the IFD Xplane Trainer and Xplane11 .. (using G5’s and GFC500)

you might spot what you are doing wrong by watching that.

video is for entertainment purposes.  not educational material.
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 11:23am
one thing you have to remember if you are being vectored on an ILS approach and you load the approach to a fix (and not vtf)..  as you get turned onto the localizer, make sure that the GPS is flying the proper leg of the approach.

failure to do so will mean that if you go missed the GPS may not have the missed leg active.  and you wont get missed guidance.
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 3:58am
Originally posted by ttb ttb wrote:

Dear all,

I am a new dual IFD owner. Despite I read all the possible documents, and watched the videos; I still cannot figure out the vtf ILS engagement. 

If I follow a standard arrival route & approach by the plate; all works fine. In case of vectors to final approach (I always choose an approach not to lose the points, so I dont choose VTF in IFD) I have no GS or lateral guidance.

where do I make the mistake? how do you do it guys?
even if it might sound stupid I would appreciate your feedback. (or send me over to a link pls in the forum)

best
TTB

A common problem is that standard arrivals don’t always end at an IAF for an instrument approach, so the IFD is sequencing between the arrival points, not to any of the points of the approach.  You’ll know this is the case, regardless of whether the approach is via Vectors or an IAF, when you don’t see a GPS->VLOC or LNAV indication.

It’s pretty easy to begin the approach sequence; just go to the FMS FPL tab, find the IAF or segment you wish to intercept, and then activate with the appropriate soft key, or the Direct key as required. You’ll see the GPS->VLOC or whatever is nw displayed, and approach sequencing will have begun. 

Edited by Melohn - 03 Aug 2023 at 4:01am
ttb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 2:13pm
Hi Ricardo. Thanks for the reply. Its on the auto vloc mode. Your reco is to switch manually? When exactly?
ttb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 2:15pm
Thanks a lot. Great video. So your vtf procedure is on the hdg mode, switch to vloc manually, hit nav when clear for localizer (which leg do you select?), arm APR when localizer captured and GS is alive? Correct?
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 12:09am
ttb — i suggest that you get your local friendly CFII with GFC500 experience to go over the sequences.

when you are being vectored to final you will always be on HDG mode, since you are following vectors.

the controller will often tell you “Fly HDG 120, vectors to the approach” .. or something similar, this is a clue that you can now expect vectors to join the localizer, and you can switch over to VLOC. — its possible that they will change their mind and then give you a direct to fix instruction, but more often than not you can expect vectors to join the localizer. 

i turned off automated switching from GPS to VLOC on the IFD because it can cause the GFC500 to go into ROL/PIT mode if the switch happens when you are in NAV mode.  — so its best to control the switch from GPS to VLOC manually.

most of the time, while on vectors i’ll get cleared to capture the localizer on some heading, i’ll set the heading, and then arm NAV when close enough. — the GFC500 should fly the heading and then capture the localizer. — i double check that the GPS is sequenced into the proper leg of the approach, its not super important which leg, as long as its the leg you are currently on or a leg further ahead on the approach.

wait until you have vertical guidance before arming APR. — the GFC500 will then capture the vertical guidance and ride the GS down.

——-

If you got something wacky like, “Fly direct XYZ and capture the localizer”, then i would do the following.

DIRECT XYZ ..  once the GFC500 was on a direct path to XYZ i would sync the HDG bug, and enter HDG mode, and then switch over to VLOC, and finally arm NAV to capture the localizer. — then arm APR once vertical guidance was available.
ttb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 6:41am
Thanks a lot ricardo! I have dfc90 but I get your picture perfectly… thanks a lot..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic