Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

30-Day VOR Check With IFD540 and Garmin G5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30-Day VOR Check With IFD540 and Garmin G5
    Posted: 01 Oct 2023 at 11:41pm
Friends - 

Can anyone tell me how to do a 30-day VOR check with my IFD540 and a Garmin G5? I've done one in the past, but for whatever reason (brain fart?) I couldn't do it today.

I'm trying to do an airborne VOR check and compare the IFD to the CDI on my KX155.

Thanks.

Edited by SoCalIFDpilot - 02 Oct 2023 at 8:00am
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 11:14am
There are several ways:

1) Pick a VOR radial (180 for example) and fly the airplane on the radial to the station.  Put the IFD in VLOC mode by rotating the upper right knob, center the CDI and the same on the KX155.

2), Set your bearing pointer on the G5 to the VOR and note where it points.  Compare to the KX155.
SoCalIFDpilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2023 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

There are several ways:

1) Pick a VOR radial (180 for example) and fly the airplane on the radial to the station.  Put the IFD in VLOC mode by rotating the upper right knob, center the CDI and the same on the KX155.

2), Set your bearing pointer on the G5 to the VOR and note where it points.  Compare to the KX155.

That's what I thought I was doing yesterday, but no joy. I'm beginning to think there was a problem with the VOR we were using.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 7:09am
Did you tune and identify the VOR?  Did the IFD VOR datablock show the VOR, Bearing, Distance?  Did you read the NOTAMS from your preflight briefing to see if it was out of service?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 9:03am

Did you tune and identify the VOR?  Did the IFD VOR datablock show the VOR, Bearing, Distance?  Did you read the NOTAMS from your preflight briefing to see if it was out of service?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

And yet, both the G5 attached to the Avidyne and the CDI attached to the KX155 seemed to be acting "funky," which has me thinking that there was something going on with the VOR. Or maybe just extreme "operator error." We're flying again on Thursday and will check with (hopefully) a different VOR. Unfortunately, at least around here (SoCal), it seems the VORs are out of service more often than in service.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by SoCalIFDpilot SoCalIFDpilot wrote:

Yes. Yes. Yes.

And yet, both the G5 attached to the Avidyne and the CDI attached to the KX155 seemed to be acting "funky," which has me thinking that there was something going on with the VOR. Or maybe just extreme "operator error." We're flying again on Thursday and will check with (hopefully) a different VOR. Unfortunately, at least around here (SoCal), it seems the VORs are out of service more often than in service.

What VOR did you try using?  So many VORs have been either decommissioned or "temporarily" out of service
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by PA23 PA23 wrote:

Originally posted by SoCalIFDpilot SoCalIFDpilot wrote:

Yes. Yes. Yes.

What VOR did you try using?  So many VORs have been either decommissioned or "temporarily" out of service

RZS. It wasn't on the NOTAM list, but both the IFD and the KX155 CDI were acting weird. Since both were acting up at the same time, I'm wondering if there was some sort of glitch with RZS at the time I was trying to do the VOR check.
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 4:11pm
is there a VOT near your area .. just thinking that if testing in the air isn’t working , try something else.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by ricardo ricardo wrote:

is there a VOT near your area .. just thinking that if testing in the air isn’t working , try something else.

There's another nearby VOR that, at this moment, is in service. We're going to try that next. If that isn't workable, we're going to have to look at other options.
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 8:31pm
Scott

The VOT at KCMA uses VTU VOR. A lot of times VTU is OTS as well.

Aloha from Kaneohe
Gene
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 8:40pm
You are correct the VOR doesn't have any NOTAMs against it and should be up.  Make sure you are within the usable service area of the VOR

1. VOR UNUSBL 066-076 BYD 40 NM BLW 9300 FT; 066-076 BYD 48 NM; 077-081 BYD 40 NM; 082-097 BYD 40 NM BLW 9000 FT; 082-097 BYD 51 NM; 134-140 BYD 40 NM; 140-178 BYD 27 NM; 318-065 BYD 40 NM.
I'm not familiar with the area (and I didn't look at the chart) but anything outside of the above you may not get a signal
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by eallevato eallevato wrote:

Scott

The VOT at KCMA uses VTU VOR. A lot of times VTU is OTS as well.

Aloha from Kaneohe

Aloha, my friend!

The VTU VOR is out of service more often than the CMA and other VORs. I have this feeling that in the not-to-distant future, they might decommission it.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2023 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by PA23 PA23 wrote:

You are correct the VOR doesn't have any NOTAMs against it and should be up.  Make sure you are within the usable service area of the VOR

1. VOR UNUSBL 066-076 BYD 40 NM BLW 9300 FT; 066-076 BYD 48 NM; 077-081 BYD 40 NM; 082-097 BYD 40 NM BLW 9000 FT; 082-097 BYD 51 NM; 134-140 BYD 40 NM; 140-178 BYD 27 NM; 318-065 BYD 40 NM.
I'm not familiar with the area (and I didn't look at the chart) but anything outside of the above you may not get a signal

Very possible that we fell into one of unusable below or beyond parameters. Thanks for posting this info!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2023 at 1:07pm
To close this out, I went up yesterday and did the VOR check with a different (nearby) VOR, and it worked perfectly. Both needles were within 1* of each other. So, though it was never in a NOTAM, I think the previous VOR was malfunctioning at the time I tried to do the test originally.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic