Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can I still use flightstream 210 with IFD440

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I still use flightstream 210 with IFD440
    Posted: 08 Oct 2023 at 3:32pm
Current setup of 430, flight stream 210 and ForeFlight give me seamless transfer of flight plan between the units and multiple iPads running diff instances of ForeFlight.

I know IFD has the builtin functionality for flight plan transfers but from what I see, after swapping 430 to ifd440, if I remove FS210 I lose the ability to autosync with the panel as well as second iPad in the cockpit running FF. Also, I lose the AHARS input to my FF? Currently any changes to active plans on my 430 are actively synced to hardwired 796 as well as FF running on iPad connected to FS210, all the sync automatic without touching a button. It seems like with IFD, I would have to manually download updated plans and select current leg manually !

Is there a possibility to still use FS210 after I replace 430 with an IFD440? Would IFD behave any differently with FS210 than current 430W does? 

Edited by Sanjiv - 08 Oct 2023 at 11:02pm
PA28-236 @N14
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Sanjiv Sanjiv wrote:

Current setup of 430, flight stream 210 and ForeFlight give me seamless transfer of flight plan between the units and multiple iPads running diff instances of ForeFlight.

It seems like with IFD, I would have to manually download updated plans and select current leg manually !

Is there a possibility to still use FS210 after I replace 430 with an IFD440? Would IFD behave any differently with FS210 than current 430W does? 

No. The FS210 uses Bluetooth to communicate and connect the wired 430W and the iPad. The IFD uses WiFi, and the logic is to load flight plans from portable to the IFD Route database, not the active flight plan. The serial connection between 430W and FS210 is Garmin proprietary. 

Don’t forget the IFD100, an app that lets you directly control the IFD over WiFi, using an IFD style interface. Changes made on the IFD 100 take immediate effect, and you can change a lot more than just the current route this way. 

The IFD does offer Bluetooth support, but only to the remote keyboard. The ability for it to talk to ForeFlight directly over Bluetooth the same way Garmin does would be a nice addition in my opinion.

Backup attitude reference is available over WiFi from a Stratus device.

Edited by Melohn - 09 Oct 2023 at 6:02pm
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 7:49pm
Thank You. I understand how IFD would integrate as I have a 550 in my current setup in a dakota. When we installed it, we removed the FS210 and 530. But the question arises as my experience changed using ForeFlight. Before If I change the active plan on 430 or hit direct to a waypoint, FF would just follow along and auto sync. But with IFD, you need to manually refresh the plan on FF after making changes on IFD and then select the active leg. Now just to mention, I also have a 796 hardwired to 550 and that just auto update and follow the changes on IFD perfectly. 

So the question arises when I am planning to update 430w to a 440 in second plane. If I leave the FS210 wired in then it should be pushing the outputs the same way to FF and it should be GPS unit agnostic? I understand that iPad will connect to FS210 over BT instead of WiFi to IFD440. So FF can also get ahars data from FS210. Is that possible? 

IFD is a beautiful app, no doubts. But still you have a FF with charts data has its own benefits. 
PA28-236 @N14
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Sanjiv Sanjiv wrote:

So the question arises when I am planning to update 430w to a 440 in second plane. If I leave the FS210 wired in then it should be pushing the outputs the same way to FF and it should be GPS unit agnostic? I understand that iPad will connect to FS210 over BT instead of WiFi to IFD440. So FF can also get ahars data from FS210. Is that possible? 

The FS210 gets its position and file plan information from the 430W, and receives it via a Garmin proprietary protocol over a serial connection. If there’s no GNS, the FS210 probably won’t function.

Edited by Melohn - 09 Oct 2023 at 10:06pm
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 11:36pm
Thank You, that explains it all. I was under assumption GNS is connected to FS210 with Aviation protocol over RS232 just like it talks to area796, but I realized now that FS210 uses CONNEXT protocol instead when communicating over RS232. 

Thanks again for the education. 
PA28-236 @N14
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic