Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Pilot Program

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 Pilot Program
    Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 11:22am

Here is a cut and paste of an email that just went out to all IFD540 pre-buy customers concerning the IFD540 Pilot Program:

Hello and thank you again for pre-buying one (or more) Avidyne IFD540 FMS/GPS/NAV/COM(s).   The objective of this email is to introduce the “IFD540 Pilot Program” and to solicit participation from our early adopters. 

The IFD540 is an exciting product and we believe that one key to making it very successful is for the early full-rate shipping and installations to be as smooth as feasible – both from the ease of installation to the way the unit operates.  One way we’re trying to accomplish that is via this IFD540 Pilot Program and that’s why we’re asking for your help. Are you interested in participating in our IFD540 Pilot Program?

Our plan for the IFD540 Pilot Program is to install a small number of the IFD540s into aircraft right after certification and to collect data and feedback on the installations and unit performance in the field before opening up full-rate shipping and installation.  While we are extensively testing the units both in our labs and in our company aircraft prior to release, we feel it is critical to try and catch any potential early-on “gotchas” before widespread installations begin.   We anticipate the IFD540 Pilot Program to begin immediately after we receive TSO/STC approval from the FAA (currently on track for the summer of 2013) and to last between 3 to 5 weeks.  If we determine there was some issue that needed to get resolved prior to full-rate shipping and installations, we would create a lull between the IFD540 Pilot Program and full-rate shipping and installation to give us time to correct whatever the issue was in order to enhance customer and installer experiences and product behavior.   If no such issues are discovered, then we’ll transition right into full-rate shipping and installations after we declare the IFD540 Pilot Program to be over.

In order to cover as diverse a cross-section of the customer base as feasible in the IFD540 Pilot Program, we do have some criteria that we’re looking for in any volunteers.  While we’d like most participant aircraft to be US-based 530W-equipped aircraft, we are looking for a few non-WAAS aircraft owners who want to stay with non-WAAS installs, a few non-WAAS aircraft owners who want to upgrade to WAAS, a few non-530 equipped aircraft and a few non-US-based aircraft.  Depending on the number of volunteers and their aircraft configurations and locations, it is possible that we will not use everyone who has expressed interest in  participating in the IFD540 Pilot Program.

Some program details:

• This will be a fully certified product and come with a full ship kit and documentation;
  • The owner is responsible for covering any “normal” installation costs;
  • Avidyne will cover the costs of upgrading any software or hardware that may result from discoveries made during the IFD540 Pilot Program;
  • Since the expected duration is so short, we ask you be prepared to install the unit as soon as possible once the program begins – we understand some of the logistical challenges this may invoke upon you and the installation shop but we really hope the installation can be begun within a few days of program start date;
  • Since we’re trying to collect a lot of data and feedback quickly, we are also expecting that participants fly their aircraft regularly during the duration of the IFD540 Pilot Program.  Avidyne goals are for participant aircraft to average a minimum of 5 flight hours per week during the program.  We’re also looking for a cross section of VFR and IFR flights among the aggregate group;
  • As part of collecting the data and feedback, participant aircraft are expected to download the unit data logs from the USB port on the front bezel of the unit and send that data along to Avidyne on at least a weekly frequency (we’ll supply method of data transmission at a later date);
  • Installations are to be conducted at an Avidyne approved “IFD540 Pilot Program Avionics Shop”.   We have not defined that list of shops yet and the questionnaire link will ask you to identify your preferred avionics shop and ask you about your flexibility in using a different shop, just in case;
  • Early versions of user documentation (e.g. Pilot Guides) and computer/tablet-based training/familiarization software will be sent to participants electronically prior to the start of the program to serve as a form of head-start in knowing how to fully use the product;
  • Avidyne expects that any feedback created during the IFD540 Pilot Program be confidential and shared only with Avidyne during the Pilot Program.

If you have any questions about the program before volunteering, please use http://www.avidynelive.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=261&title=ifd540-pilot-program  to post your question for all to see OR  send an email to Steve Jacobson, at sjacobson@avidyne.com

For those that are interested in volunteering to be part of the IFD540 Pilot Program, we have a short questionnaire for you to fill out that can be accessed via this website link http://www.avidyne.com/support/ifd540-pilot-program/index.asp.   Thank you for helping us make this the best product possible.

Edited by AviJake - 15 Feb 2013 at 3:03pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 11:12am
One minor clarification to make on the above post.   There is a bullet in the program details section that notes the owner is responsible for covering any normal installation costs.

I had mistakenly forgotten that those customers who pre-bought the IFD540 in the time frame of Oshkosh 2011 had the normal installation costs covered by Avidyne as part of the deal.    This coverage is still valid per the signed agreement forms back at the time of the original transaction.  My apologies for any confusion I may have caused on that topic.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 5:35pm
Ye-Ha.

I got a nice place for one!

* Orest
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 11:51am
(IFD540 Pilot Program Update - 22 Feb 2013)

We've received responses from more than 70 volunteers who have offered to be part of the IFD540 Pilot Program.

If anybody is still contemplating volunteering to participate, that's great - please fill out the data in the website questionnaire.   I am still seeking some of the more exotic systems that the IFD540 integrates with to include various air data systems, more sophisticated autopilots and even some EFIS or heading systems.

I'd also like to thank those that graciously volunteered.  The speed and quantity of the responses was very impressive.  It will take me a while to sort through all the data and try to match volunteers to the configurations I'm seeking.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 3:21pm
What benefit is there to an Owner for being part of this program?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 3:38pm
I think the answer to SB Jim's question all boils down to perspective.

I would personally answer that with "None."   This is largely to benefit Avidyne and the greater customer base as a whole by allowing earlier mass ship and/or ferreting out any issues early in a product life cycle.

That being said, there are a lot of people who enjoy or are naturally adept at this kind of role.  The participants will be the trail blazers ensuring the path is clear for all those that follow.  For some, there is pride in that role.  For some, it's a way to get a certified unit in their airplane faster.  Whatever the motivation, I know we will be very appreciative and I suspect the rest of the customer base will be too.

That's about the best answer I can generate.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 11:09am
I have some interest in signing up for this, but never received the email (I put in a partial payment deposit in August 2012).  I went ahead and fillled out the survey at the link anyway.

Also, a minor point, but for the first question for "do you want to participate," the "undecided" option was unavailable for me in Firefox but could be selected with Internet Exploder (I strongly prefer to stick with my avionics shop).
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:50am
(IFD Pilot Program Update - 26 March 2013)

Volunteers keep coming in for this program which is great.   I've been heads down flying the heck out of the IFD540 and focused on that effort over the last few weeks.  I'll turn back to sorting through all the data that people have submitted in the next week or so.  At that point, I'll post an update here and communicate directly with everyone via email.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:06pm
Any update on this?  All in all, I'd rather you spend time on certification, but it would nice to know whether I should plan for an install ca August, or January.   (And accordingly, what I'll be doing with my spare time in August - September, like finding even more reasons to fly, and for longer distances ...  ;>  )

Best,
Jon

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 5:01pm
(IFD540 Pilot Program Update - 29 May 2013)

Just a quick update to say we haven't forgotten about this program at all - we're so heads down trying to get this product done and certified that I haven't had the time to properly address the selection of the volunteer aircraft.  I hope to get back to that as soon as the MPSUE is complete so I'm targeting mid-June for real attention here.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 6:42am
Well I check in twice a day, I wouldn't miss it.

* Orest
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 7:37am
Hi Orest,

Recommend setting up alerts that automatically send you and email when a new post is made.  Works great for me.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2013 at 8:53am
Will do.

* Orest
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 3:49pm
Any update on this
When will the pilot program actually start
I replied to the email many months ago
what are my chances of being part of the pilot program?
Tim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 3:03pm
Hi Tim,

The Pilot Program will start the day after we receive TSO/STC and likely run for a few weeks.

I've been focused on getting the development and certification of the IFD540 completed and haven't attempted to finalize the desired aircraft list yet.  I'll have to take a quick peek at the data we've compiled and let you know what the likelihood of your aircraft will be.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 3:34pm
If you have time, have a look at mine as well. Just wondering.

I would dearly like to participate and contribute.

Orest Skrypuch

achimha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achimha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2013 at 6:00am
 I'll have to take a quick peek at the data we've compiled and let you know what the likelihood of your aircraft will be.

Obviously it is in your (and the customers') interest to have an AML (approved model list) as long as possible. How does this work in reality? I mean the airframe really shouldn't matter for the IFD, it should work in a glider and an Airbus 380. Will you just use an AML like Garmin for the GTN or do you have to back up each entry with experience or specific information?

PS: Garmin had an identical EASA STC practically the day the GTN got FAA TSO/STCs. You were also pretty quick with the EASA STC for the DFC90 in the 182. Can we expect the same swift EASA approval for the IFD?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 9:19am
Pilot Program Update - 14 Jan 2014

We have revised the pilot program planned for the IFD540.  Instead of the plan that had been defined here (waiting until certified units then starting the program), we are doing this prior to cert with a number of non-TSO'd units in customer aircraft.

That revised definition and information is covered now in the forum thread titled "Shipping Special IFD540s in February".
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic