Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Connectivity Function Fail on 10.3.1.2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnell65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connectivity Function Fail on 10.3.1.2
    Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 9:52am
Recent SW update.  Now...
IFD440 on 10.3.1.2, NGT9000 on 4.0 with its own WiFi for PEDs.
I have been through IM and Pilot Guide multiple times and can't get network working (WiFi).
iPad sees network.  Connects, then dumps it.  Says unable to connect.
WiFi symbol never goes green.
iPad and IPhone have most recent iOS.

What am I missing???

NGT wired to IFD through RS422 Tx A out and RS232 In 4 (Capstone TFC-WX)
NGT WiFi through PIM9000 Dongle.

BTW, everything worked fine on IFD 10.2. through LIO-WIFI.  Ugh!

Thanks!
Corey
Bonnell65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnell65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 10:15am
Sorry for replying own post.  More info.
The IFD is also NOT seeing the NGT (Lynx-398a) external network as a selection item to connect.
ADS-B over WiFi is set to On for the wired NGT.
Bonnell65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnell65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 10:23am
Is the "WiFi On" selection mutually exclusive when it comes to Internal and External networks?
Meaning...
WiFi On - IFD uses external network from NGT.
WiFi Off - IFD generates network and, after initialization, external PEDs may be connected. (NGT not used)

Thanks!
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 11:43am
WiFi should be On if you want to use WiFi features - regardless of whether you're wanting to use the IFD network or connect the IFD to a different network.

Once you have WiFi turned On, open the Networks category.  You will see the IFD network (name "IFD_" followed by the serial number of the IFD) and any other WiFi network within range.  Choose the network you want to use, then press the Connect button.  If you choose the IFD network, then the IFD originates the network to which other devices can connect.  If you choose another network, then the IFD connects to that network.  When you connect an iPad running an app like Foreflight, you'll need to go to the Devices category and "Allow" the connection.

It's been a while, but last time I checked, the NGT network was not capable of acting as a router.  Therefore, attempting to connect both the IFD and an iPad running Foreflight to the NGT network would not allow you to transfer data to/from Foreflight.

My suggestion would be for you to use the IFD network and connect the iPad/FF to that.  The ADS-B information from the NGT wired to that IFD will be transmitted over WiFi (by the IFD) to the iPad.

Edited by AviSteve - 09 Apr 2024 at 11:45am
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Bonnell65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnell65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 11:51am
Thanks for the quick response Steve.  I've already tested what you have suggested.  iPad/FF will not connect to the IFD with WiFi on and the network searching for devices.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2024 at 2:25pm
Be sure you have the network password correct on the iPad.

If you've done all the steps to start the IFD network and the WiFi icon doesn't stay green, then a call to tech support will be in order.  They'll probably ask for logs, but any pictures and/or videos of the situation will be very helpful.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 9:49am
I have the same configuration, IFD440 and NGT-9000, the NGT-9000 is "hard wired" into the IFD440 for both traffic and weather.

There is no reason I can think of to have the IFD join the network created by the NGT or vice versa.

First, by default both the IFD and the NGT will setup their respective WI-Fi networks on channel 1, this WILL cause connection reliability issues.  Set either the NGT or the IFD to channel 6 (or 11), to set the NGT you will need their "MPC" software, on the IFD simply change the SSID name to include either a 6 or 11 at the end as this will denote the Wi-Fi channel. (eg LIO-WIFI6).  Note only channels 1, 6, & 11 are usable as non overlapping.

Next make sure you the IFD and the NGT have different SSIDs that they are advertising and the IFD is configured under the networks setting as "IFD Hotspot", see the pilot guide chapter 4, aux-subsystem, connectivity category for instructions to set this up.

Now from your tablet you should see two networks, one from the NGT which is unencrypted and one from the IFD which is most likely encrypted.  Pick one, if you just need weather and traffic you can connect to the NGT, if you want weather, traffic, and to allow Foreflight to push flight plans connect to the IFD's network.

When I fly I will connect to the IFD but any pilot passengers that want to connect their tablets only get access to the NGT's connection as the NGT Wi-Fi doesn't accept any input, and just sends out the ADS-B information where as the IFD somebody could push a flight plan to the unit and I don't want that.

PA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic