Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 440 - COM TX board failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 440 - COM TX board failure
    Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 2:21am
We just had a com board failure on almost new  IFD440 3 months on service with 25 hour son it. The customer support, while helpful in diagnosis and accepting hardware failure, refused to open a RMA.

With new process, Avidyne wants me to go to a dealer to process RMA. I just don't understand why. We opened a ticket, uploaded all logs and pictures. They verified unit has hardware failure and need to be replaced. For a week now the dealer is struggling with Avidyne customer care to even get a RMA opened because of some web issues in filling out forms. This is just absurd to make us go through a dealer for verified failure and replacement. It has been Aug for almost 2 weeks now and still waiting for the RMA. 

Are experimentals handled the same way as GA? One of the drivers for me to move to Avidyne 8 years ago was their customer service and direct pilot support. I forced 2 of my friends to 440 instead of 650 and this is where it landed. Kinda soured the experience a little bit. Let's see how this ends and get resolved. 

Edited by Sanjiv - 22 Apr 2024 at 2:26am
PA28-236 @N14
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2024 at 6:41am
This is disappointing to hear.  I have had to send units back to Avidyne in the past (always through a dealer), and the process was smooth, easy, and fast (at least from my perspective).  It is disappointing to hear that is not always the case.  I think for certified aircraft, it's pretty typical to have to go through a dealer for things like this, though, so that alone is not surprising.

What is surprising is that "web issues in filling out forms" could result in a multi-week delay.  At some point, I'd be asking to sit down with the dealer and watch what they're having trouble with.  Unless it's dealer incompetence, I'm not sure why you think getting the dealer out of the way would improve the process, in which case perhaps you could just engage with a different dealer?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic