Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why choose the IFD540?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achimha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why choose the IFD540?
    Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 3:42am
This topic has been touched several times in various posts but I still don't have a clear picture so I am hoping for some good input.

When comparing the IFD430 to the Garmin GTN750, I am wondering why I should choose the Avidyne over the Garmin. What is better about it compared to the monopolist? I like Avidyne products and I don't like monopolies so Avidyne has my support but looking at the product, I haven't seen how the IFD540 would be a better buy than the GTN750. Here's my understanding:

• Hybrid touch versus full touch in the Garmin. Some people say this is a big deal, I don't agree. The GTN750's user interface is well thought out and totally workable in flight. Maybe an advantage for the IFD but a small one I'd say.

• Rack compatible with the old 530. Yes, this can be an argument but if one is not upgrading from the 530, it isn't.

• "FMS capabilities". Now this is something I am puzzled about. I have tried to find out what these added capabilities of the IFD compared to the GTN are and I couldn't really see much. The Garmin also allows you to advance in airways and apparently they are working in increasing the functionality (it's fair to mention that because Avidyne hasn't shipped anything yet so all features and dates are future looking statements).

• Price. That is the big disappointment for me. The IFD540 is expensive so price is not a reason to choose it over the Garmin. The latter has a better screen in my view and it's a product from the market leader.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 5:12am
Here are a couple. How important is a judgement call.

1) Option between touch and knob-twisting - ability to use touch but revert to knobs when needed, e.g. in turbulence. Garmin is touch-only, from my understanding.
2) On/Off switch - apparently Garmin doesn't have this, so the only way to get it with Garmin is via a separate avionics bus switch dedicated to the Garmin, or pull the circuit breaker. This is important in the case of alternator or voltage regulator failure requiring load reduction from non-critical equipment to a minimum.
Vince
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 8:46am
In my case size matters.  I have a Cessna 172.  If I remove the old GPS, a COM/NAV radio, and the INOP ADF I have space for the IFD540.  I do not have space for the 750.  So I'm comparing against the GTN 650.

As far as prices, all we have from Avidyne are retail.  Who pays retail?

Avidyne has also said that the IFD540 has features which have not been announced yet.

We could speculate about price and features but Avidyne is overdue to provide real information.  When we get it your questions (which we all have) will be easier to answer.

Edited by Paul - 09 Aug 2013 at 8:47am
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 12:01pm
If you're looking for slam-dunk compelling differences, you're probably not going to find anything.  Both the Garmin and the Avidyne products are modern GPS navigators with com/nav radios built-in.  Both have touchscreens.  Function sets are very comparable, and differences between them are not of slam-dunk magnitude for most people.

The most compelling distinction in my opinion is the slide-in compatibility of the Avidyne that the Garmin lacks.  As you say, if you're not replacing an existing 530, then you lose that benefit.

One of the problems with trying to compare the two products today is that we only have bullet points on paper for the Avidyne.  Once it's on the street and folks get opportunities to actually use the devices, it may become clearer why you would prefer one over the other.

I assume you're familiar with this document?  http://www.avidyne.com/downloads/products/ifd540/IFD540-FAQ.pdf

Edited by MysticCobra - 09 Aug 2013 at 12:06pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 12:54pm
Both G and A provide a GPS/COM/NAV. But looking past the basics, there are some pretty compelling differences. The GTNs take a big step forward from the GNSs, but it is also pretty clear to me that the IFDs (when released) will be another good step forward from the GTNs.

The IFDs have a design that is born of an FMS construct, and that is something that I am very much in tune with. Much of the code is just moved over from their Release 9 panels.

There is a much improved vertical navigation capability. You can program in multiple altitude restrictions in the flight plan.

Together with this, it has the "Boeing Banana", an extremely powerful feature in the descent and climb, dynamically draws a 20 deg arc predictor of where you will cross the next altitude restriction based on your current VS.

The IFD440 has all of the features of the IFD540, except of course the screen size (and features directly limited by screen size). This is unlike the 650/750 pair, a number of 750 features are omitted on the 650.

All of the below features are available on the IFDs, but NOT available in the GTNs.
  • Size and pin compatible with a 430W (or 530W respectively) install, when upgrading you literally pull out the GNS and slide in the IFD.
  • Capacitive touchscreen, but also including multi-touch features like pinch to zoom.
  • Not locked to the touchscreen, knobs and buttons for most functions, more turbulence proof.
  • Graphical Airway flightplan building
  • Geofill - finds waypoints close to your location (or flightplan end) to fill in, as you input, usually only need a couple of characters specified
  • On Screen Procedure Preview, before entry into a flightplan
  • Custom Holds at any point, user configured, with automatic entry calculation
  • Rubberband flight plan planning
  • heading mode (in addition to LOC & GPS), to hold a heading to an intercept of an approach or airway
  • Textual COM station identification (from the database)
  • Textual VOR station identification (from Morse), with automated NAV tuning (*)
  • Touchscreen full QWERTY keyboard, instead of the linear panning keyboard (*)

(*) Two of the above features are sort of available in the 750, it has auto-ID for NAV freq, and has a full screen keyboard, although it is ABCD rather than QWERTY.

The street price of the GTN750 and IFD540 will likely be very similar. Based on the list prices, the IFD440 will probably be more expensive than the GTN650, but remember that the IFD440 has most all of the features of the IFD540, just has a smaller screen. The GTN650 loses a lot of cool stuff (even auto-ID) compared to the GTN750.

The other really BIG thing, more recently announced, is a commitment to CAPSTONE format data interchange. That means you will have no trouble moving ADS-B weather data to your IFD (or ASPEN), from other units that support CAPSTONE, like the new low-cost ASPEN ADS-B boxes. Garmin is currently using a proprietary format. You can't get Garmin ADS-B weather to display on an ASPEN display, nor an IFD, at present.

Reportedly there are other features that are being kept quiet until the units are released, for competitive reasons.

* Orest

(sorry if I upstaged any Avidyne reps here, I've been studying the matter)

Edited by oskrypuch - 09 Aug 2013 at 1:08pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 12:59pm
Orest said, "The IFD440 has all of the features of the IFD540, except of course the screen size."

To be clear, there are a couple of potentially-important functions unavailable on the 440 (primarily due to the smaller screen):  TAWS and chart display.  (See item 8 in the FAQ I linked above.)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 1:02pm
Thanks Mystic.

Indeed, full TAWS is an option on the 540, but NOT the 440.

The screen size on the 440 would severely limit chart display, I kind of included that as a screen size issue.

Bravo to Avidyne for retaining a full QWERTY keyboard on the 440, despite the size limitation.

* Orest

SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 6:24pm
I expect the compelling reason to choose IFD 540 over a GTN will vary with each aircraft and the pilot's expectations.

I have a '76 A36 with the central control column and right side avionics stack. An IFD 540 will fit in the center panel (above the center yoke) with adequate clearance for the scissors mechanism behind the panel; a GTN 750 will not. I can't see spending that kind of money on a large display GPS/Nav/Com and not being able to mount it close to the pilot. So for me, it's IFD 540 or stick with my CNX 80 (aka GNS 480). Garmin's mistake was going massive (750) or very small (650) with nothing in between. They are out of the picture for me as a result of their product choices.

Since I don't have a 530 I gain no cost savings on installation.

As for features I feel both units have more than are necessary and the differences are modest.

One nicety of the 540 is the ability to fly an assigned heading to join an airway, but I don't see any "must have" features for either unit.

The bottom line is I'm hoping to get a unit more capable than a 440, with a much larger (and hopefully more useful display) for about the price of a 440 installed.

I'm hoping the IFD 540 display will be usable for ADS-B traffic and FIS-B weather.

I am concerned about the warranty issues. Service and support have always been a sore spot with Garmin. Avidyne has provided us with precious few details on such matters and it is something we should know prior to completing the purchase.
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2013 at 8:19pm
I would say that the interface of Avidyne is much more user friendly then the Garmin.
Also in ombination with the twx you will (eventually, not atfirstrelease),get the twx to show in colours that give you a much better perspective.

One of the hiddenfeatures is that Avidyne intends to do something with wifi or bluetooth. They will support theconnected panel but I believe they will also allow for direct links with the Avidyne.

For Europe their chartbase is much better than Garmin. Garmin only startedrecognizing that Europe exist .. Lastyear. (Much to the embarassment of the Garmin employees at the fairs).

Before that their charting was limited to general chartoverlays.

This, the interface, the size, the full integrated solution with twx, tas and mlx for me were the decisive factors in combination with the early deposit program.
Also Garmin at that time had not yet launchef their gsr56 (mlx equivalent) weather solution which is what I really wanted.

I am still very much looking forward to the arrival of the IFD540 but the overrun in time is starting to become a joke. I fear that the statement of the CEO that it will. Be h1-2014 might become true .. And that would be ridiculous.

Also .. Then my wait starts for when the mlx will become supported.. An mlx which has already been put in my ac as part of a package deal to upgrade the twx, tas and mlx as well as to move to Aspen. If the certification proces is proof of the capability of Avidyne then I amdoubtfull to see MLX support before 2017.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic