Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Draft Pilot Guide Available

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 4:02pm
Draft 00-E of the IFD540 Pilot Guide has just been posted.  PDF can be accessed at the normal spot:

http://www.avidyne.com/support/downloads/ifd-series.asp
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 4:58pm
Draft 00-G of the IFD540 Pilot Guide has just been posted - it's about 8.5 MB.  PDF can be accessed at the normal spot:

http://www.avidyne.com/support/downloads/ifd-series.asp

Changes from 00-E include:

1.  More description added to user waypoint airfield creation on page 2-36;
2.  Added note to VSR, OAT, Wind Vector datablock definitions on page 4-24, 4-26, 4-27;
3.  Added note to page 3-3 about track vs hold map depictions;
4.  Added section on cold temperature operations on page 6-35.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2014 at 5:37pm
What does ...

requires BARO input

mean in practical terms. As far as I know, the altimeter setting from my ASPEN is NOT forwarded to my 430W, currently, so I assume it won't be to the 540 either. It does forward heading from its  ADHARS.

Does that mean that I will not have VSR (and wind vector) available???? I do now with the 430W, albeit a limited version.

Or does is the "baro required" only in lieu of a GPS (WAAS) MSL source?

This could be a huge issue, please advise.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Jun 2014 at 6:02pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 5:28am

Orest, go read the installation manual.  See section 6.8 for the list of Baro sources you can interface the IFD 540 to.

The installation manual says:

IFD5XX should be interfaced to a Airdata source for automatic leg sequences (optional). If no baro-altitude data is supplied, altitude leg types must be manually sequenced;

Edited by tony - 05 Jun 2014 at 5:32am
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 8:47am

Orest, this notation came about because I noticed that the VSR field was not updating on my aircraft which does not have an EFIS.  Because the IFD540 is based from R9 code, this computation relied on information available to the system through the sensor package within R9.  Unless that sensor package is replicated using something like a Shaden Air Data Computer, G500, or Aspen, the VSR will not compute, and obviously, the OAT and wind information will not be there either.

If your 430W has been connected to the Aspen to receive the wind data, etc. (which from your post above, it looks like you do), then you should have the wind vector, OAT, and VSR on the IFD540.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 9:26am
We have the airdata coming in on the RS232 stream (ASPEN -> GNS), there was a specific reason for doing that, and I believe it was because we had the original ACU installed, airdata was limited on the ARINC 429 stream. The ASPEN ACU2 provides the full airdata on the ARINC 429 stream, or there may be a firmware update, so there are now potential options to fix this.

Section 6.8 (thanks) specifically notes 429 only for the baro-data.

I have my avionics people checking this. We may have to sub the ACU2. Darn more $$.

Thanks Gring & Tony. Sure nice to get an early head's up on this. There are a lot of ASPENs out there, so this may be a significant issue for a lot of 540 installs. Will update what I learn.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Jun 2014 at 11:09am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 6:00pm
OK, here is the scoop, virtually every ASPEN install (mine included) will have to spend $2k to upgrade to their ACU2 unit, in order to get all of the airdata on 429, to the 540. At least the ACU2 is plug compatible with the original ACU and about the same size, you will have to run another pair of wires though.

Posted more here:

Edited by oskrypuch - 06 Jun 2014 at 11:10am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic