Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wishlist for the next IFD software release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wishlist for the next IFD software release
    Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 6:07am
Want to start this thread to give user input for features missing in the current release:
My top 3:
1) Remote TXP support (even if it just the normal Trig/Avidyne that can be remotely controlled, just allows the TXP to be out of immediate reach)
2) MLX770 support. Especially as the touch screen will really make the messaging function useful!
3) Best EX600/5000 integration
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 8:48am
And Europe VRP's. An autoroute option when not on airways would also be nice (e.g. when entering a flight plan leg from last wpt to the airport, route via nearest VRP to the direct route).

Vince

Vince
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 9:07am
Runway extensions, remote controlled transponder, flight plan upload from foreflight, input for ADSB FIS-B data
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 3:37pm

I wonder how hard it would be to take the tablet simulator and turn that into an in-flight usable software application, call it the IFD-340.  If it already has all the features running the real code, couldn't you just supply live GPS from the tablet to the simulator and essentially have a fully functioning application?  Then you can flight plan at home on your IFD-340 and upload that to the 540.  Ideally, with the connected panel, you could use the tablet as a semi-dual configuration.  I'd love to have a 540-340 connected panel.

I understand there are some flight planning features the other software packages have, so there is still a desire to upload flight plans from those applications to the 340/440/540.

FIS-B data
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 3:58pm
All good stuff.   Maybe this thread can even help influence which of those potential features happen in what order.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 7:22pm
The distance to climb/descend arc is a real biggie for me, and I expect a lot of other folks once they see it, and see how powerful and useful it is. Turn that fellow back on!

FIX page, being able to direct the IFD540 to draw on the moving map, user specified circles and radials, relative to given waypoints. For example one could direct the IFD540 to draw a 10nm and 20nm circle, with a radial matching the expected LOC, around your destination. Outstanding for quick orientation.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Dec 2013 at 7:25pm
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 7:55pm
I Really like that 340 option. Can pre-plan ahead of time!

I'm with you Orest I was looking forward to those features

Edited by Leonard - 10 Dec 2013 at 7:58pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 8:13pm
Duplicate post

Edited by tony - 10 Dec 2013 at 8:18pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

Orest, in order for Avidyne to implement a climb/descend arch accurately, they are going to have to have an accurate drag/thrust model of the aircraft, the current aIrcraft configuration of drag devices, atmospherics, etc. Easy for Honeywell to do when they can get the data from Boeing, and integrate into similar architectures, hard for the bug smasher world with so many different variables.
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 5:04am

Orest, in order for Avidyne to implement a climb/descend arch accurately, they are going to have to have an accurate drag/thrust model of the aircraft, the current aIrcraft configuration of drag devices, atmospherics, etc. Easy for Honeywell to do when they can get the data from Boeing, and integrate into similar architectures, hard for the bug smasher world with so many different variables.

Other companies have added this feature through a one time setup of user input data particular to the aircraft they fly.
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 5:48am
I stand corrected

Edited by tony - 11 Dec 2013 at 5:49am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 8:45am
Originally posted by FORANE FORANE wrote:

Other companies have added this feature through a one time setup of user input data particular to the aircraft they fly.

Tony,

There are two different kinds of predictions. One is predictive based on aircraft performance parameters and supplied wind data, would be used to calculate a full VNAV path, and is typically used in a full FMS to predict a full climb/descent profile. Cool, but probably not practical.

The other is just a simple dynamic calculation based on your current rate of climb/descent (with perhaps a bit of buffering), that paints where you will reach the altitude, that is specified in the next defined altitude constraint. That is the Boeing Banana, and works much the same in the Boeings, as I would like to see implemented in the IFD540. It is available in the R9 gear, and from what I understand implementing this in the IFD540 would not be difficult.

The above is from a 737 MFD, with the 20 deg predictive distance to descent, green arc shown. Incredibly useful for climbs and descents, and even non-precision approaches. It was a great assist to allow for Continuous Descent Approach (CDAP) on a non-precision approach, before all the fancy Integrated Approach Navigation (IAN) modes that are now available.

Incidentally, the dashed circular lines you can see on the MFD are pilot configured. Here there is a 25nm & 10nm and a couple more circles drawn around the arrival airport. Outstanding for general orientation on the approach, and would be a feature entirely unique in the GA world. That is the OTHER cool feature I'd like to see in the next release.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Dec 2013 at 10:08am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 8:51am
GPS, NAV/LOC & HDG mode - hopefully you can get  HDG mode past the FAA and into the next release.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Dec 2013 at 8:51am
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 10:08am

HDG mode.

TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 11:02am
FIS-B WX, please.  But don't make us buy the TAS600A to do it.  you need a GDL39 "like" solution at a decent price-point.

Remote Transponder driven by IFD (like the GTN 750 does).  A headless Trig TT22 would work admirably.
Dynon supports this with their SkyView system.
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Tony,

There are two different kinds of predictions. One is predictive based on aircraft performance parameters and supplied wind data, would be used to calculate a full VNAV path, and is typically used in a full FMS to predict a full climb/descent profile. Cool, but probably not practical.

The other is just a simple dynamic calculation based on your current rate of climb/descent (with perhaps a bit of buffering), that paints where you will reach the altitude, that is specified in the next defined altitude constraint. That is the Boeing Banana, and works much the same in the Boeings, as I would like to see implemented in the IFD540. It is available in the R9 gear, and from what I understand implementing this in the IFD540 would not be difficult.

The above is from a 737 MFD, with the 20 deg predictive distance to descent, green arc shown. Incredibly useful for climbs and descents, and even non-precision approaches. It was a great assist to allow for Continuous Descent Approach (CDAP) on a non-precision approach, before all the fancy Integrated Approach Navigation (IAN) modes that are now available.

Incidentally, the dashed circular lines you can see on the MFD are pilot configured. Here there is a 25nm & 10nm and a couple more circles drawn around the arrival airport. Outstanding for general orientation on the approach, and would be a feature entirely unique in the GA world. That is the OTHER cool feature I'd like to see in the next release.

* Orest

++1

FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Leonard Leonard wrote:

Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Tony,

* Orest

++1

+2

This is a very useful feature and a tremendous safety boon.  I have used it to glide dead stick to runway with reproducible results.  Would love to see it in the IFD.
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 11:25pm
orest, my experience was the first system you referenced.  It was a full blown, DO-236 FMS with VNAV and 4D nav.  I remember how difficult it was for getting it to work correctly.  I have no experience with the simpler implementation you referenced. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 10:17pm
Wish list stuff ...

Routes:

1) Can you consider softening the Barber pole (alternating 50% length magenta/ 50% white) depiction of the next leg? To me at a glance it suggests that the Barber pole is the active, not the straight magenta. I might suggest making the next leg depiction Barber pole 90% white and only 10% magenta length stripes.

2) Can you allow wind entry at waypoints, and have it assist ETE calculations? Punching in the forecast wind vectors along the route as an option, at the expected altitudes would be cool. That( might be a bit beyond what you'll do, but I throw it in just for fun.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2013 at 5:34pm
Good stuff.  Added to the list of contenders.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 12:23am
I was able to demo unit at the heliexpo last week and was very impressed with it and thankful for the team spending so much time with me going to through the different features.

There were two checklist ideas I thought of that I mentioned there but figured I should capture here.

First, I think it would be nice to be able to configure checklist triggers.  For example, I could create a GAMPS checklist (I have A/C that has to be off for takeoff/landing and fixed gear so my GUMPS is GAMPS) that would trigger within 3 miles of the destination descending through 1000 feet AGL where the range and altitude could be configurable.  Ideally I could have a list of and/or triggers where I could use range or time and or altitude and or ground speed etc.  This may sound complicated, but you could use a similar interface to the vertical guidance or holding where you say cross 2.0 nm before XYX at or above xxxx 2 min legs and you can configure each of the fields.  When you meet the criteria for a triggered checklist, it could give you a pop up warning in the lower right similar to SUA alarts.

Second, I didn't find an easy way to reset the checklists inflight without having to uncheck each item.  An example would be flying multiple practice approaches.  I don't want to clear each checklist item so that I can go through my approach and pre-landing checklists prior to each approach.  I don't remember the functionality at this time, but maybe holding the clr button when selecting a checklist when not in the edit mode would clear it and holding the clr at the top level clears all checklists.  Either that or any time you go back into a completed checklist, it automatically clears it.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 8:27am
Those are good ideas and candidates for future releases. I already had the 2nd one in that database but the first one is not something we had previously thought about. Thanks for the ideas.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 4:35pm
Since it is apparently not in the initial release: support for the Aspen Connected Pilot.

I had assumed that the IFD would have the same degree of support for the Connected Pilot as the Garmin 530 does, since this is a slide-in replacement product.  I'm quite unhappy that it does not, as this support was a factor when I chose the IFD over the KSN-770.  I am optimistic that this support will be forthcoming.

Here are the highest-priority Connected Pilot features that I would want to see:
  1. Ability to upload a flight plan to the IFD from ForeFlight, Jeppesen, etc. (supported today on 530)
  2. Ability to nominate frequencies to the IFD from ForeFlight, etc. (demonstrated on KSN-770)
  3. GPS position feedback to apps that support it, e.g. Jepp (supported on 530?)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 4:59pm
Just so you know, I've heard that the latest firmware updates for the 530 from Garmin, break ASPEN's connected pilot. Of course, just a happenstance, eh?

* Orest

MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 6:29pm
Ugh.  Figures.  I hope we don't end up with a situation where the KSN-770 is the only real player in that ecosystem.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 10:29pm
Not trying to stir the pot here, but I'm trying to understand why connected panel is so important. For a G430/530 box where flight plan entry is click,click,click it might make life easier. With the IFD, I see flight plan entry as painless, and one that can be done while receiving clearance in real time. Geofill, touchscreen, v-airways. In the NE flight plan routes are almost never what we file, and I bet in a timed test a flight plan can be entered quicker on the IFD than the iPad. Further elsewhere in the country clearance is generally RV or DP then direct, again, just as easy to input in the IFD.

I will submit that wireless connection to an iPad to send info to an iPad app like Forflight might be interesting, but not real useful.

To be up front, I only use my iPad for flight planning, filing, and charts. I do not use it for navigation, and with the improved moving map and jepp charts on the IFD, I will probably use the iPad only for planning and filing.

Tell me why connected panel is so important.

Edited by Gring - 06 Mar 2014 at 6:35am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 12:45am
Gring's point is well taken. Connected panel makes up for the limited methods of flight plan input in a 530/430, that will be largely a non-issue with the 540.

* Orest

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 6:41am
Mike, have you seen the tutorials on the KNS770? The box has way too many different colors and blocks without the uniformity of an integrated interface. Further, to move from function to function way too many button pushes are required. In the case of the 770, connected panel might be a benefit, used to overcome user interface design challenges.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 7:19am
I'm not sure I understand what Connected Panel will or won't do, but I'll say this:  I've got a panel-mounted GPS and two yoke-mounted devices.  When I get a re-route in the air, it does take a little bit of effort and some distraction to keep all three in sync.

If there was a universal standard that would allow boxes to share their flight plan data, and I could update one device and push that to the other two, that sure would be neat.

Regardless of how easy the data input is, 1x vs. 3x is an improvement.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 2:08pm
Mystic,

Depending on the GPS and portable units, you can generally setup crossfill. This not only saves a ton of time, but also will add the approach waypoints into the portable units, normally you will only get FAF inwards if you add a procedure.

I have a GNS that crossfills to a 796. The 540 will do the same thing. The flightplan populates onto the EHSI of the ASPEN automatically as well.

To me, the benefit of Connected panel might be to overcome the need to enter a flight plan twice, but even more so to make up for the antiquated and non-airway-smart flight plan entry of the GNS units. That will largely disappear as an issue, once the 540 is installed.

Perhaps Avidyne will come up with something like Connected Panel, to allow non-panel mount instruments to interface.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 06 Mar 2014 at 2:10pm
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 5:01pm
Orest: Are you sure that the 540 will cross fill to the 796?  I thought it had been stated here that it would not cross fill to a 430 or 530, for example, so my assumption had been that it would fill to a second IFD but not to Garmin devices.  I can't find that limitation mentioned in the user guide, though, so perhaps I'm mistaken.

Gring: I agree that the 770's UI is not up to the standard of the 540.  I found it a bit cluttered and hard to interpret, although I think they've made some improvements.  

I also agree that the 540's method for entering data is vastly superior to the 530's, and probably to the iPad, and you do have a good point about amended clearances for IFR.  However, not all flights are IFR, and some flights certainly are cleared as filed.  There's a lot to be said for being able to sit inside (perhaps at home) in peace and quiet and plan out the flight, then upload that straight to the panel.  It eliminates a potential source for error.

With GPS data sent to the iPad, you essentially gain an additional MFD that you can configure as you wish.  Perhaps the iPad's screen is more suitable for displaying a chart with the airplane's position depicted, for example, while you use the IFD to look at traffic or terrain.

And being able to nominate frequencies from an app on the iPad just makes things that much nicer when you're looking something up in the A/FD, etc.

Orest notes that Avidyne may come up with their own Connected Panel-like solution.  That's certainly possible, and might even be a good idea.  I'd be completely in favor of their doing that if they also support Connected Panel.  Otherwise, the problem you may end up with there is a sort of Balkanization, where the Avidyne is able to supply some information over its connectivity, but other devices might still only work on Connected Panel. (JPI is an announced partner for Connected Panel, for example, so you could get up to date fuel information to your flight planning app on the iPad.)   So if some devices support Avidyne and others support Connected Panel, then how do you make that work?  Switch back and forth between the two?  Use one on Wi-Fi and one on Bluetooth?  Better to have all the information available through one connection to the iPad.

Anyway, Avidyne announced that they would support Connected Panel, and I think that they will.  Steve said in another thread that they weren't able to make it work as a drop-in for the 530 for whatever reason, so it was left out of the initial release.  I completely understand that and while it's disappointing it's not a show stopper.  I just want to make it clear that it's important to me as a customer that they follow through on that support.

In closing, I just want to reiterate that I think the IFD has the best interface out there, with the possible exception of the full R9.  I flew a G1000 this morning, and I was struck by how much I prefer Avidyne's approach.  But I think that there is a lot to offer on the iPad, and being able to smoothly exchange data between the two worlds is a feature that I really look forward to.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 5:16pm
Mike, somewhere on this forum is a picture Steve posted of the IFD540 sending info to a Garmin 195/196. Since all the portables use the same Garmin aviation out data format, your portable will be able to display the same way it does today from the 530. Crossfill is something specific between two 530/430 devices and does not use the Garmin aviation data format.

Edited by Gring - 06 Mar 2014 at 5:17pm
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 6:33pm
I see, understood.  Thanks!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 10:27am
Yes, the crossfill on the panel mount devices use a proprietary bus format, no doubt for speed and accuracy. The one-way crossfill to Gx96/95 devices is just RS232, so no issues expected there.

As to Connected Panel, it only supports Ipads at the moment, so it is a non-starter for me and many others. It needs support for the now more widely used android devices. CP also requires a 2 unit (PFD+MFD) ASPEN setup, so that reduces the number of candidate installs as well.

If Avidyne came up with some sort of direct connection, by wifi preferably, with support for android (and iOS), it could feed all the other panel devices, and would be a better and more general solution. 

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Mar 2014 at 10:55am
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 1:33pm
First, most of us use iPads or some other tablet or handheld device in the cockpit.  My T210N checklist is on my iPad, which fits in a yoke mount.  The checklist contains sections for each phase of flight, plus emergency procedures and important data such as Va and Vglide speeds at different aircraft weights.  That's far more information than could be entered into any panel-mount navigator.  Under these circumstances, I have trouble understanding why anyone would want or need to use the IFD540 to run checklists?

Second, while Connected Panel is a good idea I suspect it won't last long in practice.  That's because it requires an Aspen MFD (won't work with just their PFD) and is already somewhat obsolete.  As Orest suggests, Avidyne probably will be better off incorporating some form of wifi connection to handheld and other panel devices.

Mike

Edited by GMSutton - 09 Mar 2014 at 11:11pm
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 9:19pm
I don't see how the Connected Panel could be iPad specific except that they haven't gotten any Android developers on board.  But otherwise, it's just Wi-Fi.
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 4:48pm
I too see a "Connected Panel" type capability as very desireable. I would like to see it as an Avidyne stand alone feature as I don't currently have any Aspen glass (or any glass for that matter) in my panel. It's on the wish list, but many years away. I do have an iPad though. Yes flight plan entry on the IFD's is much simpler than the other stuff, but the more times something has to be entered the more oportunity their is to make a mistake. It would not only be very convenient, but would also reduce the chance for error.

I would also really like to be able to rubber band the active leg. The PM page 3-10 "Tips and Techniques" says the active leg cannot be rubber-banded. Out here in the West we have some very long victor airways and even longer direct routes. It would be very useful to be able to rubber-band around wx that pops up on an active leg.

David
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by 94S 94S wrote:

I too see a "Connected Panel" type capability as very desireable. I would like to see it as an Avidyne stand alone feature as I don't currently have any Aspen glass (or any glass for that matter) in my panel. It's on the wish list, but many years away. I do have an iPad though. Yes flight plan entry on the IFD's is much simpler than the other stuff, but the more times something has to be entered the more oportunity their is to make a mistake. It would not only be very convenient, but would also reduce the chance for error.

I would also really like to be able to rubber band the active leg. The PM page 3-10 "Tips and Techniques" says the active leg cannot be rubber-banded. Out here in the West we have some very long victor airways and even longer direct routes. It would be very useful to be able to rubber-band around wx that pops up on an active leg.

David

Agree, be able to rubberband the active leg.  The IFD should be able to add a current location waypoint and rubberband from there.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:36pm
Yes, I agree about rubber banding the active leg.  It is quite involved so we elected to defer that capability to be a candidate for inclusion in a future release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 8:11pm
Very much support the uploading of flight plans - even by USB is that is quick and easily achievable. It would be especially nice to be able to include altitude changes too!
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 4:19pm
I agree. If it can't be done wirelessly, uploading flight plans byUSB would be better than not. Especially if I could just upload from my iPad with the same USB cable I'd use to power/charge it from the IFD.
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 8:00am
This isn't really a "wishlist" item, but a question about an operational procedure that I discovered while using the simulator. I notice that in order to activate the published missed approach, one must go to the FMS page and enable the missed approach after the FAF but before reaching the MAP. For those of us that fly approaches without an autopilot, this is normally a time of fairly high concentration. It could be quite a distraction to leave the MAP page (which shows important information about distance to the missed approach point) for the FMS page, press the LSK to enable the miss, and then return to the MAP page. Is there an alternative for activating the published miss that I am missing? If there is not a good alternative, then such an option would be on my wishlist. Thanks.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 8:15am
Actually, when you are over the threshold, a dialog box should pop up:
Do you want to go missed?
YES (or do nothing for 10 seconds)
NO
Also, "go missed" should always be a button available after FAF
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 9:00am
Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

This isn't really a "wishlist" item, but a question about an operational procedure that I discovered while using the simulator. I notice that in order to activate the published missed approach, one must go to the FMS page and enable the missed approach after the FAF but before reaching the MAP. For those of us that fly approaches without an autopilot, this is normally a time of fairly high concentration. It could be quite a distraction to leave the MAP page (which shows important information about distance to the missed approach point) for the FMS page, press the LSK to enable the miss, and then return to the MAP page. Is there an alternative for activating the published miss that I am missing? If there is not a good alternative, then such an option would be on my wishlist. Thanks.

Regards,

Bob

Others think this is important too, there was a short conversation on the "Questions from using the sim" post if you'd like to see the rest of the comments.
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 10:22am
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

Regards,

Bob

Others think this is important too, there was a short conversation on the "Questions from using the sim" post if you'd like to see the rest of the comments.

Thanks for pointing out the other conversation. I had skimmed over it, as it didn't really register before I started playing with the sim. I continue to think that this is an important issue, and I would like to see some capability for enabling the missed approach after the missed approach point, or perhaps a user setup selection to always enable the missed approach. If you are assigned a route other than the published missed approach procedure, I can't see that having the published procedure loaded causes any problems for setting up to fly whatever clearance you are given.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by PA20Pacer - 14 Apr 2014 at 10:32am
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 3:42pm
We agree it would be a great enhancement.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 7:41pm
Are the checklist triggerable. .

For example the startup checklist (right after start)
Taxi
Climb
Cruise
Descent
Land?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 10:59am
No, the IFD540 electronic checklists are not automatic upon flight state triggers.   You can name and create them any way you want but it's up to you to call them up for display.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Jack Seubert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 3:52pm
Steve, how about a PBD directly from the Direct To page. It would automatically add the new PBD to the user waypoints in one step. Probably have to add a / key to the keypad.

Jack Seubert
Jack Seubert
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 2:15pm
1) Given that Jepp are going to be so wild on pricing for Europe charts, can Avidyne make the spec. available for chart data so this can be sourced and added to from elsewhere (even a separate 'user area' for charts if need be) so we can add our own charts/convert the NAA supplied charts for display on the 540. This could also be used to add charts for where Jepp doesn't supply the data anyway.

2) I appreciate the screens are User configurable, but can we have a few configurations to choose from in flight (as on the GNS480), so eg 'Ground', 'Departure', 'Cruise' and 'Approach' where the user data is chosen for that phase of flight

3) In conjuction with the one above, have a few different ''User' sets of saved settings, so that on a shared aircraft each pilot can have their own set of preferences (so the user settings above, north up vs. track up etc)

Ben
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic