Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > EX-Series Multi-Function Displays
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PFD4000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PFD4000
    Posted: 15 Jan 2014 at 8:30pm
Any status updates? I'm going to be doing a whole new panel this year and I'd love to do it all with Avidyne products (V35B).
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2014 at 2:14pm
Won't be available in 2014.  It's queued up behind a few current projects (9.3, IFD540, IFD440).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Akita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 10:47pm
Thanks for the update.
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 9:30am
Why isn't there a forum dedicated to the PFD4000?

Is there a precert prebuy available?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 9:32am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Won't be available in 2014.  It's queued up behind a few current projects (9.3, IFD540, IFD440 and DFC90 Servos).

Steve:

Fixed it for you.  <g>

David Gates
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 8:55pm

Won't be available in 2014.  It's queued up behind a few current projects (9.3, IFD540, IFD440).

9.3. In progress
540 Certified
440 Close to receiving certification

PFD4000 Cant be too far away. Ill be perfectly happy with my new IFD540 for a few years. I'll bet the PFD4000 is worth the wait.
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 1:02pm

Jake,

Can you please give us an update on the PFD4000?

I need to make a decision in conjunction with my IFD 540 installation.

The decision is wait for the PFD4000 or go with an Aspen PFD 1000 Pro (which will drive my C-III allowing me to remove the air gyro system).

What can you tell us?

Regards,

Jim

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 1:12pm
Jim,

Recommend you move on the Aspen now.  We will most certainly crank out the PFD4000 BUT it is still not an active program right now and when it becomes one, will need 8-15 months to get done/certified.

The PFD4000 will be great when it's done but the wait will frustrate folks who want/need it soon.

Edited by AviJake - 06 Oct 2014 at 1:13pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 9:28am
Thanks, Jake.

Regards, Jim
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 12:04am
is the PFD 4000 project active yet?
A36 w/IFD 540, PA60 w/IFD 540
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Joe Jet Joe Jet wrote:

is the PFD 4000 project active yet?

Yes, PFD4000 is an active project.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 11:31am
WAHOO!!!
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 2:14pm
Information?

Cost?

Expected completion date/
David Gates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 2:19pm
Unable.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Unable.

Be strong Simpson, you are about to be mobbed!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Sep 2015 at 2:25pm
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 6:12pm
outstanding

PFD4000 needs its own heading in the forum. we are currently under MFDs

looking forward to hearing about progress and prebuy when it comes available.
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 1:15am
Sure would be nice, HOWEVER. What we need today is a retrofit autopilot with its own servos. And an AML for the majority of GA aircraft.
And Iridium based weather on the IFD540.
And complete iPad integration.
Avidyne was wise to partner on the transponders and audiopanel. Why not also on the PFD?

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 6:50am
Originally posted by TurboPA30 TurboPA30 wrote:

Sure would be nice, HOWEVER. What we need today is a retrofit autopilot with its own servos. And an AML for the majority of GA aircraft.

+1.
That would be the DFC90, IF ONLY servos were available.
Close, but no cigar.
David Gates
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 9:38am

Avidyne was wise to partner on the transponders and audiopanel. Why not also on the PFD?

Avidyne didn't have existing technology that was readily adaptable to transponder and audio panel solutions.  However, their flagship product has been their Entegra flight deck, of which the PFD4000 will be a derivative.  

Why would you expect (or want) them to abandon a core competency and pay someone else to reinvent their already very nice wheel?
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 1:47am
OH YES, Entegra retrofit STCs would be nice, as done for instance on the 210, but then abandoned again..... What I wanted to say in my post is that it is better to provide a product where a need and no competition exists, than to play as a small player in a crowded field, where you are competing with a strategic partner (DFC-90 & Aspen...)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 10:37am

..... What I wanted to say in my post is that it is better to provide a product where a need and no competition exists, than to play as a small player in a crowded field, where you are competing with a strategic partner (DFC-90 & Aspen...)

I wouldn't be surprised if the ASPEN interoperation was maintained and further developed. Although there might be some overlap, I would see the PFD4000 having less impact on that market segment, based on my own guess on its features, function and probable price point -- but I am not in the tent.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Sep 2015 at 12:34pm
richholt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richholt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 11:40am
If the PFD4000 will be a derivative of the Entegra Flight Deck, maybe the DFC100 autopilot with VNAV may be appropriate. Also the availability of Avidyne servos for non Stec autopilots could be an added benefit.
Richard
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the ASPEN interoperation was maintained and further developed. Although there might some overlap, I would see the PFD4000 having less impact on that market segment, based on my own guess on its features, function and probable price point -- but I am not in the tent.

* Orest

Once again agree with Orest.  A number of us installed Aspens within the last 2 years with intent to install DFC90s, placing credence in the <unfulfilled> ASA575 Avidyne servo.  Now we have Aspens (which may not have been our first choice PFD/MFD); would personally have a better view of this series of events if (a) ASA575 servos become available, and (b) Avidyne develops further integration with the Aspens which we installed largely because of Avidyne.

David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 1:01pm
We're going to let the rampant speculation rage on this thread until we're ready to roll the product out for public viewing.

It is definitely interesting to read all the thoughts and opinions.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 1:13pm
Did I just hear a ....

BwahHaHaHa!

in the background???? ;-)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Sep 2015 at 1:17pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 1:16pm
Nope. Just not interested in unmet expectations or dates, real or perceived. That was very draining during IFD development and a huge distraction.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 1:18pm

Nope. Just not interested in unmet expectations or dates, real or perceived. That was very draining during IFD development and a huge distraction.

Yes, that was a painful distraction. Your position is entirely understandable to me.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Sep 2015 at 1:19pm
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 2:30am
Rampant, wild, uniformed speculation: the new PFD/MFD series uses a iPad Pro as its hardware platform, and is the first open platform to support a wide range of third party apps. The interface unit is compatible with SIU and DAU from previous Avidyne products, and each display ican be popped out and replaced in the field. The two iPad compatible mounting and interface retails for $19,999.

Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 11:51am
Sounds good steve. Work in peace!
ChuckGell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckGell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 9:20am
I have a specific question about the coming PFD 4000: will it be approved for aircraft between 2730 and 5700 kg MTOW? I have a P Baron that has MTOW of 6200 lbs and therefore requires a G600 for this reason over a G500 install, so my question is to Avidyne are there going to be weight limitations for the PFD 4000? 
Chuck Gell
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 10:20am
TBD
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ChuckGell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckGell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:04pm
Any update on my question regarding weight limit for the PFD 4000? 
Chuck Gell
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:06pm
No, that is still TBD and will remain so for a number of months.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 12:13am
Is there a non certified version of the PFD4000 already available for experimental aircraft? The online brochure seems to indicate this.

Well after going back to the website it looks like it was overhauled and all the PFD4000 stuff is gone. was searching YouTube and they mentioned the IFD8000. what happened to that. looks like that and the 4000 have been in development for over 10 years. it was probably a good idea to clean up the website.

Edited by Joe Jet - 25 Jan 2016 at 12:50am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 7:31am
I believe the PFD4000 is at the drawing board stage.

* Orest

Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 1:17am
When it was on the website it looked like it was way beyond the drawing board stage. There was a photo of what looked like well developed software displayed on dedicated production hardware. If it was a well produced graphic and not a photo, hopefully the actual PFD4000 has a screen that occupies a greater percentage of the face of the display.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 9:16am
Its been on the website and displayed at the trade shows for quite some time now (6yrs?) and looks to be a variant of the R9 PFD.  Since that time, with the introduction of the IFD540 the user interface technology has changed substantially.  It would seem to reason that Avidyne would want to use the latest from the IFD540 (Touchscreen, user configurable, maybe more real estate) when producing a product to compete in the marketplace.  I'm eager to see what they will come out with, I bet it will be awesome.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Joe Jet Joe Jet wrote:

When it was on the website it looked like it was way beyond the drawing board stage....

I was told that the final product will not bear a lot of resemblance to what is currently being shown at trade fairs and such.

* Orest

Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 3:39pm
Maybe that's why they pulled it from the website.
Bjohnson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bjohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 6:01pm
Right
So right now, if my Entegra PFD & MFD fail, my only option for replacement is the same low-res PFD and MFD from ten years ago? And the higher res R9 units are R9 only I assume?
Brian J.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 8:57am
As of right now, yes.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ChuckGell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckGell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 4:39pm
Hey Guys,

My every so many months search for any update information on the possibility of the new PFD 4000:

1) Is it still an active program?
2) Weight limitations for proposed aircraft? (I have a P-Baron 6200 lbs)
3) Any insight as to upgrading 540 to 550? (Legacy users want to know)

I am missing Sun and Fun this year, but will be at Oshkosh. I hope to bug you for all updates. Very exciting about 10.2.0.0 and the 550. I am looking to go "all in" with my panel and am waiting for PFD info to make a deposit! Want new comm, MFD, ADSB etc.
Chuck Gell
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 1:53am
PFD4000 remains a real program. It is however on slow simmer as we finish off Rel 10.2, and the new IFD products like the 550.

The P-Baron will not be excluded from that product when it is complete. In fact, that's a perfect platform for it.

The sales guys are still digging out from all the Sun-n-Fun activity (and have AERO in Europe this week and the annual AEA show for dealers the week after) so they will publish the upgrade path for existing 540 owners who want to upgrade to the 550 as soon as they can catch their breath.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 9:23am

The sales guys are still digging out from all the Sun-n-Fun activity (and have AERO in Europe this week and the annual AEA show for dealers the week after) so they will publish the upgrade path for existing 540 owners who want to upgrade to the 550 as soon as they can catch their breath.

Two-week bump on this.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 9:43am
This is the week after. AEA ended yesterday.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2016 at 8:57am

This is the week after. AEA ended yesterday.

Ooops, forgot all about AEA (probably because the only related announcement I saw was Aspen's new backup instrument). Staying tuned...

vuk3@me.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 8:28am
hi guys, it's Dec 2018.... any news on PFD4000? 
Cheers
Andy
VH-UAR YMMB
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 9:40am
Originally posted by vuk3@me.com vuk3@me.com wrote:

hi guys, it's Dec 2018.... any news on PFD4000? 
Cheers
Andy
PFD4000 was pretty cool, but too much time has passed for it to be viable.  You never know, we may come up with a more up to date alternative...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 10:17am
BRB, going to tell all my friends that Steve said Avi is re-entering the PFD market :)
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 3:12pm
The PFD4000, with R9 syn vis on the left and an IFD540 interface on the right, fully configurable for split screen or full screen would be perfect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic