Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > AXP340/322 ADS-B Transponder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AXP340 traffic/weather display options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AXP340 traffic/weather display options
    Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 2:42pm
I currently have a deposit on the IFD540.  My current xponder is the G330 which displays TIS traffic on my 530.

If I install the AXP340 with my IFD540,
1.  Will the AXP340 display TIS traffic on my 540 when I'm in a TIS coverage area?
2.  If I purchase a dual band portable receiver (e.g. Stratus II), I should be able to see both weather and ADSB traffic on my Foreflight-loaded Ipad?
PH
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 3:02pm
Yes & Yes (the latter assuming that that is a 330ES). 

I am getting a TAS605A in, so for me it will be academic shortly. Will be dumping my 330 "plain" for a 340 to get ADS-B compliant.

* Orest

phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Yes & Yes (the latter assuming that that is a 330ES). 

I am getting a TAS605A in, so for me it will be academic shortly. Will be dumping my 330 "plain" for a 340 to get ADS-B compliant.

* Orest

My G330 has not been upgraded to ES - no reason to do so if it won't accept position data from the 540.
PH
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 6:22pm
Then, it is YES and NO.

Although you may see the occasional ADS-R traffic on the Stratus, it will be only if you are in the area of another aircraft that is ADS-B participating.

* Orest

phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 10:51am
But if I replace my Garmin 330 (no ES) with the Axp340, the answers are Yes and Yes?
PH
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by phkmn phkmn wrote:

1.  Will the AXP340 display TIS traffic on my 540 when I'm in a TIS coverage area?
Orest has answered "Yes" to this question, but I don't think that's correct.  As far as I'm aware, the AXP340 is only an ADSB-out device.  It is not a receiver, so there is no way for the AXP340 to provide any weather or traffic information to any other box in the cockpit.

However, if you do have a separate ADSB-in device, then having the AXP340 will ensure that you get good traffic data into your receiver, since ADSB traffic data is only transmitted when an ADSB-out equipped plane "wakes up" the ground transmitters to provide traffic data.

Depending on your ADSB-in device, you may or may not be able to display the data on your IFD540.  Many of the solutions available today are uncertified and only work with portable electronics like iPads or Android tablets, such as the combination you mention in your second question.

So, I think the answers to your questions are "NO" and "YES".

Orest, am I missing something in my understanding of the AXP340?

Edited by MysticCobra - 26 Jul 2014 at 1:27pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 4:18pm
Whoops, I didn't notice that phkmn was replacing his GTX330 with a 340, as I note I was assuming he had and was keeping a GTX330ES. The GTX330xx does have the older Mode S distributed TIS traffic, and will populate any device that can receive TIS on an ARINC429 bus. (as long as ModeS TIS remains available)

A 340 supplies NO ModeS TIS traffic at all, but by itself sending an ADS-B out signal on 1090,  it will facilitate other receive-only devices to receive all the local traffic (TIS-B) from ground stations (ADS-R).

Sorry to mislead.

* Orest

phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 4:46pm
I guess I may as well stick with my existing 330 since I fly in the TIS area surrounding the Chicago Class B.  And if the 330 won't accept position data from the 540, there's no reason to add ES.

Gee, saved some money.
PH
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 4:53pm
Bonus!

* Orest

Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2014 at 5:58pm
The Trig TT-31 has a TIS output.  I wonder if it would work if it were connected to the IFD540.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic