Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

iPad App Available for Download

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 9:02pm
Preliminarily - a very nice implementation.  I really like the idea of being able to download data from the SIM to the unit.
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 9:36am
Originally posted by SteveMcD SteveMcD wrote:

Re: IFD540 training at Oshkosh, Mon-Thu 10 & 2.

Are they 8 identical sessions, or 8 parts of one course? (Should I attend one or all?)

How much material is covered relative to available online material (videos)?

My 540 is being installed on Wed. I'd like to get comfortable ASAP so that I can file IFR with confidence.

Typically Trip covers the same material in all his presentations. What differs would be the questions that he fields at the end. He will typically stick around for a few minutes after as well.

Here is a youtube video of some training Trip did for SocialFlight on the IFD540: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMu3xXflHjM 

Of course he will likely cover 10.1 features in his OSH training as well.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 10:58am

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

We’ve seen this happen before to some folks. Deleting the App and then downloading it again seems to fix it.

Trying to install the new PC-simulator (5X) on the same unit as the 10.0 run, without success:

"Cannot create OGL window. DC-1006564269 RC 0 Error 2000"

Any idea?

Edited by KIM - 11 Jul 2015 at 11:35am
Klaus
richholt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richholt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 1:57pm
I had same OpenGL problem using Windows 7 Professional. I upgraded my video driver to the latest version and problem went away.
Richard
clydeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clydeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2015 at 7:54pm
I'm trying to get up to speed with the simulator before my IFD440s arrive. I downloaded the PC simulator but it doesn't run properly in a virtual machine and I don't have a Windows machine. I don't have an iPad either, but I borrowed one and installed the IFD440 app. I've run into a few problems;

1) There doesn't seem to be any way to switch the simulator into IFD440 mode - update - I found it. Kill the app, open the Apple Settings app, find Avidyne IFD, change the device, restart the IFD app. Clunky!

2) The IFD440 manual says about tuning frequencies "A more automated way to tune a com frequency is to press the “FREQ” button along the right edge of the bezel." That button is on the 540 and works, but the button is absent on the 440. Twisting either of the bottom left knobs *sometimes* brings up the Airport/Enroute/Recent tabs, but not always, and I can't figure out any pattern when it works or not.

3) In the frequency list,  the bottommost visible line isn't selectable via touch. I can select it with the bottom right inner knob, but not by touch. The top two visible lines are touch selectable.

4) Setting the current position is difficult. The instructions given on ifd540.com work only immediately after the app is opened.

More to come...

TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 1:08am
Having been precisely where you are, I understand the frustration. I can confirm the simulator works just fine in Parallels as well as a virtualized Win7 VM streamed via Citrix XenDesktop. Perhaps it's the host hardware or the hypervisor you're using?

Also and perhaps more importantly the simulator does a pretty good job helping you learn the basics of the interface elements. But encouragingly, I can tell you that using the hardware is much better. For example the three main buttons have a rocker element to them that is much more apparent and useful vs. the simulator. And the freq knob works somehow more as expected in flight vs what I experienced in the simulator. I replaced two 430 units with two 440s, an MLB100 and AXP340. There are some glitches but what worked before still works, the glitches are in the new features (traffic, ADS-B, etc.).

You'll enjoy the 440. I feel your pain learning the simulator, not an ideal implementation but useful enough in the end.

Edited by TomH - 24 Nov 2015 at 1:13am
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 5:47pm

Quote 3) In the frequency list,  the bottommost visible line isn't selectable via touch. I can select it with the bottom right inner knob, but not by touch. The top two visible lines are touch selectable.

I have observed this problem on more than just the frequency screen (for example on the approach selections in the CHARTS page).  You can't see the last thing on the list.

I believe this problem appeared when they introduced the logic that hides the tabs (when the 440 came out).

David

Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 10:37pm
I've noticed that on both the iPad IFD440 sim and the PC IFD440 sim (both of which are the latest versions available) that when flying a simulated ILS, at some point prior to the FAF there is an alert that says "Check Navaid Identifier," which appears even though the system has automatically selected the correct ILS frequency.  Then at the FAF, the GPS-VLOC nav source indication in the upper right reverts to simply GPS.  At no point, it appears, does either simulator fly the simulated localizer.  This occurs when flying a simulated ILS 9 approach into KTNT, simulated ILS 9R approach into KTMB, and some others I've tried.  Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

I have noticed the same behavior in actual flight for the ILS9R approach into KTMB (SR22 with Entegra PFD & MFD and STec 55X), where I must manually select VLOC as the nav source to force the system (on autopilot) to track the localizer after it has announced the "Check Navaid Identifier" message.  On these occasions, I have checked the identifier and heard it loud and clear.  Whatever I'm doing wrong in the plane I'm apparently doing in both simulators, and vice versa.

Any troubleshooting ideas are appreciated, thanks.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 11:02pm
In the air, this may be related to a good feature that is stymied. Avidyne it trying to work around this.

Its intention was to provide confirmation when you have the correct navaid tuned, automatically. It works for all VOR approaches, but the database does not include most of the LOC IDs, and that is a Jepp issue.

I have seen this, but only in that the VLOC would remain yellow. Did not see the confirmation popup. This is on version 10.1.1.

In the simulator, that would likely be a different issue, it does not tune any LOC or VORs, so you get some odd behavior at times, both enroute and on the approach.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Feb 2016 at 11:04pm
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2016 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

It works for all VOR approaches, but the database does not include most of the LOC IDs, and that is a Jepp issue.

I have seen this, but only in that the VLOC would remain yellow. Did not see the confirmation popup. This is on version 10.1.1.

Thanks Orest.  I also have version 10.1.1, having just installed the IFD440.  I do get the popup advising me to check the navaid identifier when flying an ILS in the plane, after which I've learned to push the CDI button to force the system to go from GPS-VLOC to VLOC.  That VLOC indication remains yellow as you noted for the remainder of the approach, a feature that is described in the manual (all preconditions must be met for it to turn green, but navaid identification is one of those requirements).  I have also noticed that if you fail to push the CDI button before the FAF, the autopilot will not capture the glidepath, since the IFD does not switch to VLOC mode on its own in this condition.  This surprised me a few times until I figured out the workaround.

Hopefully Jepp will start putting LOC frequencies into the database soon.  Since the iPad and PC IFD simulators are using the same Jepp database and the same FMS software as the actual IFDs, that explains why the sims also show the popup and then fail to capture the glidepath on a simulated ILS (unless the CDI button is pressed to get the IFD to switch to VLOC mode despite the error message).
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 9:13am
Maybe it is just regionally based, but working on my ATP rating last night, the GPS --> VLOC switch happened automatically on all of the ILS and VOR approaches I did.  In general I fly GPS approaches, but the several ILS approaches I've done over my time with the IFD have switched automatically.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

Maybe it is just regionally based, but working on my ATP rating last night, the GPS --> VLOC switch happened automatically on all of the ILS and VOR approaches I did.  In general I fly GPS approaches, but the several ILS approaches I've done over my time with the IFD have switched automatically.

Yes, some of the LOCs are in the database, but not many.

Congrats on pursuing your ATP!

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2016 at 6:20pm
+1
David Gates
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 12:09am
I think the reason the sim fails is not (just) because the navaid ID is not in the database....I think it's also because there's no simulated radio signal generating morse signals for the IFD software to actually decode.

In other words, it doesn't matter if the sim database is populated or not.  It's going to behave as if it never receives the radio signal...because there is no real or simulated radio signal for it to receive.
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 9:02pm
Anyone have "GPS fault no position" error come up on the simulator?
I'm running it on a pc windows 10.  It was working fine a couple of weeks ago.
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 11:13pm
That's happened to me every once in a while. I restart the sim and it goes away. It's never happened twice in a row.

Mike
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 8:19am
I even tried preparing the simulator and it still does it.

I guess I will have to download it again.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic