Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Operational questions arising from sim (iOS)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Operational questions arising from sim (iOS)
    Posted: 12 Jun 2014 at 8:19pm
Hi,

I have a couple questions arising from trying to apply info in the PG to the Intl sim:
1) I am trying to set up the left data block as follows without success. Is this config not allowed? It seems possible from PG. From the top down,
- 3 com freq (2 freq primary com/vloc + com/vloc standby #2)
- 2 nav freq (vloc radio)
- vor/rad/dis block (decoded vloc ident)
- navigation mode block
I can get the first step done, but when I then try to add the vloc radio the selection is greyed out. There is definitely room for all the indicated blocks on the left side.
2) I have an active fltpln and am positioned at the origin airfield. When I repeatedly select the NRST fn key, I get the following page sequence: airports, list of Nrst fields to dest airport, VORs, NDBs, Intersections, ARTCCs incl freq, FSS (empty as FSS is rare in Europe), user wpts, airspaces. When I select the FREQ fn key, I get a list of Airport tab frequency names that don't make any sense (ATIS, Patrick AFB Tower, Melbourne Intl Unicom, Orlando Approach, ATIS), all with the dest airfield ICAO in ().... (LSGE in this case). The Enroute tab station names & frequencies are fine. What I am missing somewhere in the NRST and FREQ fn keys are the FIS (flight information service) frequencies. Every country in Europe is divided up into these. There are only 2 covering Switzerland, but flying across France East-West one crosses many. They provide a radar and weather service as well as just info in general (mil area activity).

On another note, it would be great if the sim would save the settings from one start to the next. I like to flip back and forth on my iPad between the sim and PG and each time I come back to the sim I need to set it up all over again with my settings, fltpln, etc.

Vince
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 1:27pm
I have just run across something in the iOs IFD Am sim that seems inconsistent with the PG.  On page 1-26 of the PG (-00G), is a table of actions that are either only by bezel or only by touch.  While in the "AUX" page, "SETUP" tab, "Setup Map" LSK, I am unable to select or adjust the various items on the screen.  I am able to do so with the lower right knob.  This is not shown in the table mentioned above as being a bezel only action.  Is this a limitation of the sim, or should this be added to the table as bezel only?

Also, on the "Datablock Setup" LSK I am able to make selections by touch.  On the "User Options" LSK I am able to select the various items in list by touch, but can't change there state by touch.

I don't recall if these worked on PC sim and I'm not where I can check it at the moment.

Sincerely,
David
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2014 at 2:12pm
Vince #1 - Can't quite do that.  You definitely can get 5 freqs along the left edge (active, stby 1, stby 2, stby 3, stby 4) but then you don't have enough room for both the Decoded VLOC Ident and the Nav Mode block.   If you did 2 coms, 2 navs then you have enough room for Decoded VLOC Ident and Nav Mode.  We typically grey stuff out when there is not enough room to make that selection.

Vince #2 - Interesting.  That's a bug in the iPad sim.  I did the same scenario with the Americas version and all is well but when I do it on the International version, I get the same problem you describe.  We'll have that cleaned up in the next iPad update push we make.

Vince Wish List Item - Agreed.  It's a candidate for future releases.

David Setup Page Touch questions - Your description of the touch vs non-touch on the AUX setup pages is correct.  I'll add that to the PG table for completeness.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
vuk3@me.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 1:17am
Hi guys,
I've become quite familiar with the ipad sim after just playing with it a few hours. Beautifully simple and intuitive in design and function. I'm just having a few problems saving routes or activating routes. Easy to do in the flight planning tab, but routes not working as outlined in the PG. Am I missing something?
Another question: Is there a way to enter more detail to a user waypoint that's an airport besides just the aerodrome elevation? Stuff like runway direction, CTAF and ATC frequencies etc.?
And while I'm here can I also ask if there's a way to simulate a valid VLOC signal on the sim? That way we can try the auto transitioning feature between GPS and VLOC when the 'simulated' right criteria are met.
Cheers guys.
Andy

Edited by vuk3@me.com - 20 Jun 2014 at 1:24am
vuk3@me.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 1:34am
I understand that the sim can't have every Approach departure and aerodrome chart. Is there way to download and install them into the app?
A
Art View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Art Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 4:23pm
I use the iPad iOS sim App Int. I have a question.
When I enter the last waypoint of the route, that is the first point of the star to the destination and when I press prog the list of stars is not presented. Is this a bug in the app or is there another method to enter the destination and have the option presented for STAR and APPROACH.
arthur

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2014 at 6:48pm
Just coming up from air on the cert end-game.  I'll try to look at these ipad questions on Wed.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
NZFlyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 1:20pm
Hi,
Just a quick question from my time on the sim:

If after a missed approach the onwards clearance to an alternate is via a SID, how is the SID entered without making the missed approach airfield an origin? Pressing the PROC key only produces Arrivals and Approaches.

Thanks
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 5:55am
Art

If I understand the use case you are describing you have not entered the destination field at that point. How can the box know which list of STARs to present? There could be many many starting at the intersection your plan ends with. 

Reading the manual I believe arrivals and approaches are always entered attached to a destination airport. So first add the destination airport, then add the arrival from the arrival field of that flight plan entry. The PROC button is just a shortcut to highlighting that field of the destination airport (or the next airport waypoint after the active leg).

Jorgen
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 7:30am
{see below}

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Jun 2014 at 7:50am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 7:50am
Originally posted by NZFlyer NZFlyer wrote:

Hi,
Just a quick question from my time on the sim:

If after a missed approach the onwards clearance to an alternate is via a SID, how is the SID entered without making the missed approach airfield an origin? Pressing the PROC key only produces Arrivals and Approaches.

Thanks

Looks like you've hit on a bit of an operational snag, and it has nothing to do with the iOS simulator, I'm using the PC simulator.

In the IFD540 departures are available ONLY from an origin airport. It appears that an origin airport can ONLY be added at the top of a route list. Looks like you'd have to create a new flight plan to get what you want here (fly the xyz SID as part of a missed procedure), and then activate it.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Jun 2014 at 7:54am
Art View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Art Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 1:07pm
thanks, easy!
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 7:03pm
I find that the "bearing to waypoint" information is often useful.  I'm not seeing that option anywhere in the sim? 
PH
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 8:30pm
There are a few datablock options that may provide you what you are looking for.  For example, "Destination Direct Info" always gives Bearing to Destination from present position.   Others that are close are "To Waypoint Information" (includes Desired Track to Current Waypoint), "Next Waypoint Information" (includes Desired Track to Next Waypoint along flight plan route) and their two children called "Desired Track" and "Next Desired Track" and finally there is "Nearest Airport" which includes bearing to airport from ownship.

Do any of those address what you are looking for?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 2:17pm
The scenario I'm thinking about is an IFR flight where vectors for traffic, etc, take me away from my flight plan.  Then ATC says something about proceeding direct to a waypoint.  I realize that I can use the Direct to key for that, but sometimes it's just useful to be able to look at a waypoint and know what its bearing is relative to where I am in the clouds.  It's also useful to match bearing and track to offset crosswinds.
PH
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 10:46am
I'm not getting either the NAV freq ID in the freq window or the data block (VOR, distance, rad).

Also, when flying a flight plan, aren't the freq of VOR's in the plan supposed to pre fill the NAV standby window as they approach? I find with the sim that I need to enter the next VOR in the flight plan into the NAV freq window, and even when I activate it I don't get the ID nor the data block info. Same applies to a VOR that is part of a final approach or missed approach procedure. GPS remains active so that the approach is flown ok, but the navaids don't get set up.

Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic