Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Standby Com Audio out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Standby Com Audio out
    Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 12:20pm
I don't seem to be able to find the Audio out pins that route to Mon1  input on the Audio panel.

I have located the COM,  VOR/ILS, TAWS output pins in the install manual for IFD540

What is the connector ID / pin pair for Com Standby Audio out going to MON1 on the IFD540?

Ed

Ed
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 12:50pm
Ed,

I'll double check on Monday but I believe they are pins 7 (standby audio out) and 34 (return) on the P5006 44 pin nav connector.

Steve
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 12:56pm
Thanks Steve,  that would make sense since those pins show up as labeled  "Reserved" in the version of the IFD540 install manual I am looking at
Ed
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by edanford edanford wrote:

I don't seem to be able to find the Audio out pins that route to Mon1  input on the Audio panel.

I have located the COM,  VOR/ILS, TAWS output pins in the install manual for IFD540

What is the connector ID / pin pair for Com Standby Audio out going to MON1 on the IFD540?

Ed

Is this to get audio from the standby freq on the 540, to the comm panel, confirm?

I have the PM8000B, and I read that this capability is possible with the IFD540, but never got the details.. When in place, how do you select/unselect the standby freq audio to be audible or not, and/or muted when the primary freq is active?

The SL-30 does this, but completely internally and functions with all comm units, and does a great job of it. This appears to be set up a little differently.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 19 Jul 2014 at 2:24pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 11:45am
Orest, 

Yes, that's what we're talking about here.   To have this work, you need:

1.  IFD540 wired (per pins listed above) to the audio panel.
2.  An audio panel that has a means to select the MON function.  The AMP240 has this capability.   In fact the Avidyne AMP240 has MON1 and MON2 buttons.  When pressed, the button on the audio panel will light up in green and whichever one is lit up is the navigator from which the #1 standby audio can be heard.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 3:36pm
BTW, for anyone trying to Google that, it's " AMX240 ".
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 5:53pm
One more detail to clarify.  P5006 is the IFD540 connector I think.

I should be telling the shop to be wiring P1006 pins 7, 44  correct?

Just trying to be very careful in what I am telling them I want.

Ed

Ed
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 5:55pm
I will check on Monday.  But, this is a provisioned capability for the IFD540 and not one that the initial release will support.   Adding the functionality will be a no-charge upgrade when it's ready.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 9:57pm
the audio output for the standby is a provisioned function?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:46am
Correct, audio output for the standby comm audio is a provisioned function, meaning we didn't include all the elements to support it in the initial release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 11:20am
Have you confirmed the pins I should tell my shop to connect up ?

Ed

Ed
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Correct, audio output for the standby comm audio is a provisioned function, meaning we didn't include all the elements to support it in the initial release.

Do you have a list of provisioned functions that you can publish?  Is there a estimated schedule for follow-on releases that will incorporate these provisioned functions?

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Yes, the 540 is well beyond "feature freeze".  However, we're not willing to announce anything new.   We have unannounced features in the first release but I'm afraid we're going to stay mum until right at cert time.   It's an intentional business decision right now that we feel warranted based on the (understandable) behavior of our competition.

I would say it is now close to certification, are you prepared to announce the unannounced features?  It may be good to drum up interest prior Oshkosh to get people going to your booth.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 8:12pm
We'll likely announce one at Oshkosh but will stay silent on the rest.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 8:32pm
... with only a Cheshire Cat smile.

* Orest

Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 8:54pm
That strategy can backfire.  The competition just announced the ability to upload flight plans from an iPad or Android tablet.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:01pm
I don't understand why one would not release the full feature suite in connection with the actual release of the device at STC if those features were active at time of shipping?
David Gates
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:41pm
I agree with ddgates, you are going to need to update all the features of the 540 in the flight manual supplement when you ship with your STC.  So if your shipping, its going to need to be in the documentation.  Right?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:44pm
No, it doesn't work that way.   We have all kinds of things provisioned in the units for later turn on.   Not until they are turned on does the documentation need to be revised.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:47pm

so you are allowed to have unaddressable code in the image?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2014 at 9:54pm
It's called "Option Disabled Code" and yes, there is a lot of that in the system.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 11:09am
So what is going to be the path forward for we buyers to get the "goodies" that were alluded to all along this process, but not turned on when our units are delivered?
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 11:15am
As is standard practice for these things, the details of each release (content, availability, pricing, upgrade method, etc) will be broadcast at the time of the public announcement of the release.

Those details may vary significantly from release to release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 11:50am
That sounds to me like features are going to be sold, rather then activated?
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 12:29pm
I think you're reading too much into it.   There are several other threads on this topic.

Our general practice ranges from no charge for bug fixes and existing feature improvements to $ charges for brand new optional functionality and optional features and everything in between.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 12:48pm
Will these just entail software upgrades that can be done in the field whereby it will not be required to return the unit to the factory from some of us who live on the other side of the world?

Victor
Mooney M20J
Sydney Australia
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 1:22pm
Hi Victor,

Hope all is well Down Under.  I'd say that technically, your question is unanswerable.   If we cook up some new feature/capability it may/may not need new hardware to support (if you even wanted it).

We have hardware provisioned for some potential new features in the units from day 1 so IF we try to turn that feature on and IF you want that feature, then in those cases, you shouldn't need to send the unit back.  We have made sure that all processors in the unit can be updated with new code via the USB port on the front and therefore, wouldn't need to come back to Avidyne.

There are a myriad of possibilities so hopefully you can understand my reluctance to make any eternal single statement.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 5:11pm
Like the MLX support? i may hope that this will come for free in the next release..

Or the built in wifi .. To compete with Aspen and Garmin .. Which will probebably be charged?

Is this how I have to look at this?
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 11:07am
Hi Steve,

I am still looking for confirmation we have the correct pins to wire this:

Should I be telling the shop to be wiring P1006 pins 7, 44  for IFD540 from Mon1?

I understand it will not work at release but since I am a completely new install,  I only want to do wiring once

ed

Ed
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 2:50pm
I think it is P5006 pins 7 and 34.
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2014 at 4:06pm
My bad on the pin 34 Geoffrey

I am thinking the P5006 is the IFD540 side to back plane connector and the P1006 is the audio panel to IFD540 back plane connector number. 

That is the clarification I am seeking plus double check the pins which I do think are right.   Steve was not 100% positive and was going to check last Monday.

With the other events of the week,  I think that clarification got lost (understandably)

Ed

Ed
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 8:45pm
Any updates on this thread?

Now that I've been flying with our 540, I'd *love* to get standby freq on our audio panel.

Thanks,

Jeremy
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 11:29am
Originally posted by jzawodn jzawodn wrote:

Any updates on this thread?

Now that I've been flying with our 540, I'd *love* to get standby freq on our audio panel.

Thanks,

Jeremy

You need a few things to listen to the standby frequency. 10.1, and an unswitch/unmuted port on your audio panel and the audio wiring from the IFD540 to your audio panel.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 11:40am

It works on mine with the 10.1.0.0 software.

I have pins 7/34 from P1006 wired in to the audio panel as a switched input.  So the standby frequency is just another radio (receive only) that I can select at the audio panel to listen to.

I had to go to the AUX page with the AUDIO selections and turn it down, because the default volume setting was way higher than what I had selected for the active frequency.

The only weird thing was that I flew into a small towered airport where there is only one person in the tower, and he broadcasts on both Tower and Ground frequencies at the same time.  So any time he was talking, I saw two little "RX" indications on the IFD-540.  It took me a while to figure out why it was happening, and decide that I was not experiencing a failure of any kind.

David

jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 11:49am
Thanks. I'll talk to my avionics shop about it then. I'm going back there soon for some post-installation tweaks anyway.

Jeremy
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

You need a few things to listen to the standby frequency. 10.1, and an unswitch/unmuted port on your audio panel and the audio wiring from the IFD540 to your audio panel.

AviJake has previously posted that some early-production units also need hardware modifications that can only be performed at the factory.  Somewhere here on the forum he gave the production cutover date, but I don't remember when it was.  I just know mine's one that needs to go back to the factory.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 4:24pm

Hey, I just noticed that I made it to "Groupie" status. :)

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2015 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Hey, I just noticed that I made it to "Groupie" status.
:)

Congrats, keep posting!
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2015 at 3:41pm
On that same note of early release, send in for factory update, was wondering if mine is a candidate as well. Happy to say I have had 0 problems with the unit after about 55 hours flight time with the box !!! 
:-) other than one time on downwind lost GPS for about 5 seconds ... So i guess that would be ONE problem but thats it !!!!
P/N 700-00182-000
S/N M144938214

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 10:08am
Originally posted by Don Don wrote:

On that same note of early release, send in for factory update, was wondering if mine is a candidate as well. Happy to say I have had 0 problems with the unit after about 55 hours flight time with the box !!! 
:-) other than one time on downwind lost GPS for about 5 seconds ... So i guess that would be ONE problem but thats it !!!!
P/N 700-00182-000
S/N M144938214

The best way to answer the question about where an IFD needs to have the hardware mod done is to contact Tech Support (888-723-7592 or techsupp(at)avidyne.com).  They can easily pull up all the information regarding your unit.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Don Don wrote:

P/N 700-00182-000
S/N M144938214

Your particular box will need to come to the factory for the hardware update.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 11:14am
Don:

make sure your shop writes down every setting before you send it in.

David
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 11:41am
I would recommend taking a smartphone photo of the maintenance pages and keep that in your records for reference.  You may also want to do that for the user settings and FMS setup pages too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic