Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When can we expect "full-rate production"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When can we expect "full-rate production"?
    Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 10:08am
Has full-rate production (as the term is used in the deposit contract) of the IFD540 commenced yet?  If not, when is that anticipated?
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 5:51pm
I would also like to know this as delivery of pre-orders is apparently predicated on this unknown date...
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 7:48pm
Somewhere it was mentioned that production deliveries would be split between those of us who paid in advance and have been waiting months, or even years for their units, and retail dealer sales, new buyers.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 9:02pm
We are a few days away from turning on the spigot again for IFD540 deliveries.  We've dramatically improved our factory processes which is what our objective was.    This means we had to make a software change to the accommodate that but is just a detail that shouldn't matter to anyone.

Yes, once we crank shipments back up, about half of each monthly shipments will go to to folks who have pre-bought and half will go to new full-price sales.

We're going to start up slow and watch how the installs go.  If they are going smoothly, then we will just keep increasing the ship rate.  That ramp up may take a few weeks or it could take a few months.  
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:44am
As you finish your reset, I think it would be fair to give each repurchaser a reset on when you anticipate delivery.

Some may choose to opt out, or maybe not.
David Gates
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Joe Jet Joe Jet wrote:

Somewhere it was mentioned that production deliveries would be split between those of us who paid in advance and have been waiting months, or even years for their units, and retail dealer sales, new buyers.
I have to say, this rubs me the wrong way.  I put a deposit on my Tesla three years before they were released, but I knew exactly where I was in line, and that's when I got my car.  Tesla filled their pre-orders before selling to new buyers.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:09pm
MikeK,

Can you elaborate?  I'm not sure I follow.   The 1/2 per month for pre-buy and the 1/2 per month to full price new installs has always been the case and will NOT adversely affect the delivery month for all those who pre-bought at the major discount.

Month 2 folks will get their units no later than month 2.   Month 6 folks will get their units no later than month 6.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:27pm
Jake:

that is the most definitive statement I've heard (or seen) since STC.

David Gates
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:29pm
Sooo...   what month are we now in as of 8/20?  2?
PH
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:31pm
I hope that is a good thing.     

It took a while to get the factory firing on all cylinders for this new product.   I guess we can't claim all cylinders are firing until the deliveries are humming along.   Lot's of lubricant being applied however.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 9:32pm
PH, we are in month 1.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
etekberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etekberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 11:08am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

The 1/2 per month for pre-buy and the 1/2 per month to full price new installs has always been the case and will NOT adversely affect the delivery month for all those who pre-bought at the major discount.

Month 2 folks will get their units no later than month 2.   Month 6 folks will get their units no later than month 6.

Always huh?  My order doesn't specify any month.  And no-one ever said to me my unit might be delayed because you would sell product to others ahead of me.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 11:19am
The agreements for the very early (first month or two of purchases) pre-buy apparently don't specify a month in writing.  That started around month 2 or 3 of sales I believe.  

To be perfectly clear, no pre-buy unit delivery is being delayed by even one second because of new full-price sales.   There is a in-order-of-purchase queue that 100% of pre-buy folks are in that isn't being altered, period.

For those people who bought very early on, if you want to know your position slot, our Sales guys can answer that - you are almost certainly in the first month or two of deliveries.  For those people who have a delivery month on their agreement, that month (or earlier) will absolutely be honored.

And yes, we were always selling slots with the intent that half of every unit built per month goes to pre-buy folks and half go to new sales.  The designated delivery month on those agreements and in the order queue takes that into account from the very start.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 11:30am

The agreements for the very early (first month or two of purchases) pre-buy apparently don't specify a month in writing.

That is true, I placed my prepurchase in July, 2011 (3+ years ago!).  My agreement doesn't specify a delivery month, but I expect to be month 1 (which is almost gone).

David
David Gates
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 3:38pm
I have sent Brian Oliver several emails over the last week regarding shipping status based on my pre-buy date and have heard nothing back. If he is the sales guy/s you are referring to above be prepare to be patient. I also asked if my 240 audio will ship with my 540's some time ago, no word on that to date.

Guess I need to get on the phone... 
GDC25
etekberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etekberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by glassanza glassanza wrote:

I have sent Brian Oliver several emails over the last week regarding shipping status based on my pre-buy date and have heard nothing back. If he is the sales guy/s you are referring to above be prepare to be patient. I also asked if my 240 audio will ship with my 540's some time ago, no word on that to date.

Guess I need to get on the phone... 

I have phoned Brian multiple times and he is always answered my calls and even returned them from Oshkosh.  He has been very responsive for me.

MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 9:52pm

MikeK,

Can you elaborate?  I'm not sure I follow.   The 1/2 per month for pre-buy and the 1/2 per month to full price new installs has always been the case and will NOT adversely affect the delivery month for all those who pre-bought at the major discount.

Hi Steve,

Yes, absolutely!  I'm happy to elaborate.  I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, and I could have been clearer in my last message.  The issue is one of expectations and context.

At no time during my written or verbal conversations with Avidyne did anybody tell me that production would be split 50/50 between early buyers and full-price new purchases.  I just found out about it, and it comes as a complete surprise!

Now, this would make very little difference if the product were actually shipping when it was originally promised.  Then, as you say, I would still be getting my radio in "Month <n>" and the fact that Avidyne was also shipping full-price units to new customers would have little impact upon what I was expecting.

But, in the context of the radios shipping over a year late, it's very hard not to see that additional 50% production capacity as an opportunity for Avidyne to make up for some of that extensive delay. I think even if I had known all along that this 50/50 plan existed, I would still be a bit disappointed that Avidyne wasn't changing course and using full capacity to fill the delayed orders first.

Of course, I don't know what promises have been made to others.  Maybe the dealers were all assured that they would have full-price units available to sell and install at the same time as these discounted units started to arrive, and Avidyne is bound to fulfill that promise, too.  

But, to me, all of that is opaque. All I know is that I found out suddenly that some of the additional wait time until delivery is due to this split strategy, and that was pretty upsetting.

Does that help explain why I had the reaction I did?  

The other issue is that we're still swimming in a sea of uncertainty.  As I quoted you above, you wrote that, "Month 2 folks will get their units no later than month 2."  But, you also wrote:

We're going to start up slow and watch how the installs go.  If they are going smoothly, then we will just keep increasing the ship rate.  That ramp up may take a few weeks or it could take a few months.
This gets to the core of exactly the question posed in the title of this thread.  I still don't think I know when "Month 2" actually is!  (I'm not in Month 2 by the way; I'm later in the queue but I'm using 2 as the example.)

In one of your replies above, you said we're in Month 1 now.  That's actually great news, because I think a lot of us were looking at our contracts, which say we fall in month <n> of "full-rate production", and looking at your statement that said it might take "a few months" to ramp up, and having a lot of difficulty figuring out just where these numbered months fall on the actual calendar.

Even so, I still don't really understand, though.  Because you've said that you're "start[ing] up slow", does that mean that the "Month 1" orders will actually be spread out over something more than a calendar month?  Or did you plan for fewer deliveries in Month 1, with a ramp?  Or are you thinking that you might be able to exceed your original planned rate?

I don't intend this to sound as if I'm impatient, but the fact is that I'm trying to finish a new panel install and a major rebuild project at an out-of-state shop, and I don't know whether there will be a radio to fill the hole in the panel, or how I'm going to do the integration testing with my new Aspens, my TAS-605, and so on...  With the information available to me, it's basically impossible to plan.

Now, those of us who put in our deposits early got a screamin' deal on the price, for sure, and that is a big win that I don't want to discount in any way.  And I'm thrilled and excited that I will be able to install an IFD-540 and not some confusing box from Olathe, especially given how those guys use their market position to thwart interoperability.  If I play my cards right, there won't be a single "G" product in my panel, actually.  But the constantly-shifting expectations and uncertain dates are really causing a lot of stress, and potentially real problems with schedule and budget.

I hope that helps to explain a bit of my consternation, and perhaps you could shed a bit of light on trying to map these numbered months onto the calendar.

Thanks!

Edited by MikeK - 22 Aug 2014 at 1:07am
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 7:33pm
Steve,

I agree wit MikeK on this. 

I am apparently in "month 2", but that does me little good in terms planning when to put the plane in the shop for some other upgrades that are planned concurrently with the 540 install.

Avidyne needs to map "month 1" and "month 2", etc onto real dates. This is really the least it can do for customers who have had deposits down for more than two years.

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 11:37am
They've said August is "Month 1" more than once.   We'll see how that holds up.  

I'm in "Month 3", so I should be expecting my IFD-540 and mounting tray in October.

Has anyone on this forum who had pre-ordered received their box?  (beta testers excluded, of course)

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 11:53am
Well, I'm month 4, and allowing for some slippage, I'm hoping by Christmas.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Aug 2014 at 11:54am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 1:59pm
Yes, we're in Month 1 now.  We have a big bolus of units ready to ship  by mid-week at the latest.   I think we're a little behind now for Month 1 due to our effort to increase factory efficiency for the last two weeks but should be fully caught up by the first week of Month 2.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 2:24pm
I'm a believer <g>.
David Gates
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 3:11pm

Yes, we're in Month 1 now.  We have a big bolus of units ready to ship  by mid-week at the latest.   I think we're a little behind now for Month 1 due to our effort to increase factory efficiency for the last two weeks but should be fully caught up by the first week of Month 2.

Okay, so we can expect the following, then?

Month 1: August
Month 2: September
Month 3: October
Month 4: November
Month 5: December
Month 6: January 2015

Do your production months start somewhere mid-month on the calendar or are they pretty close to the calendar month?

Thanks!
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 6:48pm
Brian Oliver told me I was in month two and I should expect delivery in October.  I think Brian should get on here for production, like Steve did for development and straighten out the misconceptions
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 8:52pm
Remember I pointed out dual messaging some days ago?

David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2014 at 12:06pm
Month 1 is roughly 15 Aug to 15 Sep.  Month 2 is 15 Sep to 15 Oct.

So we're offset about 15 days from calendar months.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 3:24am
Thanks for clarifying!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic