Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FREE TRANSPONDER OFFER

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:44am
Yup, sounds like an unpleasant Catch-22.  There are enough installs conducted now that a host of dealers have first-hand experience.

Avidyne Sales/Service guys can contact you directly and maybe the two of you can jointly work out a shop to your joint satisfaction, at least for a quote you can hang your hat on.

Any interest?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:55am
Yes. I'm in Southern California so if Avidyne has a shop or two they like out there please let me know. Even better if they've done some 'clean' 540 installs as I don't have a 530.

Regards, Jim
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Right, all I was trying to do was to both respond to MysticCobra's question/speculation and to note that just takes time for our reps on the phones to reach that Month 1 person and then often several calls and days of determination that they'd like to delay their unit ship dates.   All perfectly fine, just part of the slow-speed process.   I'm not trying to overstate the significance of that example, just point out it's real and one of many reasons why the deliveries are not lightning fast.

We're building (or trying to build) the units in much closer to a "just in time" method as opposed to the more expensive "build up a ton of inventory and store them on the shelves" method.  Therefore, it's entirely possible, especially in these first few months, that a Month 2 customer's unit won't be sitting on the shelf and immediately available if they deferred shipment and then say in Month 3, decide now is the time.

I wasn't trying to read too much out of the delay contacting people.  I'm trying to understand the process for not accepting a unit in the contract month.  If you are doing the just in time method, then can I assume that if I'm month 2 and don't take delivery of my unit, but in month 5 I say I'd like mine now, would I be the next order to the factory?  I wouldn't want to go to the end of the line, wait for full-purchase sales for that month, or anything else that may affect deliveries.  I'd like to think that my waiting is over and that I'd be at the front of the line when I give the notice.  At some point, production should stabilize and you should be able to give a time frame from order to delivery.  Is this how it is going to work?  If not, what is the plan?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 6:34pm
Yah, I think so.  By Month 5,  we should be very stabilized.    I think the best advice for you or anyone else in a similar situation is to make sure Avi sales contacts you or vice versa a month or so in advance of your desired install and make sure you get a commitment of the plan.

These are good guys on the Avidyne side of the phone trying as hard as they can to satisfy the person on the other end.  Sometimes that doesn't go well but usually it does.   Toward those ends, if I were you, I'd be all over the phone/email space 30ish days out to nail a plan.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 12:32am
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the clarification and answer to my question!
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 3:09pm
Yes, please do, Paul-- surely I'm not the only one who would find this kind of comparative research valuable. 
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 4:11pm

Jake and all

I was told that I could get a discount on the APX340 since I was an early adopter of the IFD 540 or 440.  I believe the discount was something like $500 and this is great.

My suggestion to Avidyne is that the discount be at least enough to make the APX 340 about $200 less than the street price for any of the comparable XPNDRS (King, Garmin etc.)

This way you make the early adopters feel good for being an early adopter and they can get a Mode S XPNDR that meets ADSB-out requirments for less than they’d pay for anything else on the street.

Just my $0.02

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 11:02am
(deleted)

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Sep 2014 at 2:48pm
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 11:11am
Orest, I asked my dealer to call yesterday too but haven't heard back from him-- but I suspect the answer will be the same as yours. 
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 5:08pm
paulr,

I posted my audio panel evaluation in the AMX 240 section of the forum.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 5:17pm
Thank you, paul! I will look forward to reading it.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 5:20pm
My dealer spoke to Avidyne, and between the two of them, I was offered the AXP340 for $2500 as opposed to the dealer's normal price of $3500. That's not nothing, although it's not as good a deal *on the transponder* as new purchasers get. I don't know where that $1000 came from (whether a discount from the shop or Avidyne).

Having said that, the landing page at Avidyne's web site doesn't have any terms or conditions, so I understand why some of the other early buyers feel badly done by: the offer says clearly "buy a 540, get a 340," with no limitations or exclusions. Steve, you might want to consider clearly defining the T&Cs on future offers as you roll out the 440, the PFD4000, and whatever other goodies y'all have up your sleeves.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 5:26pm
I'm certainly not an expert, but...

Recently Avidyne was running a different promo, buy something, get a discount ($1K) on something else. I think that's the 1K you mentioned.

BTW you did $500 better than I did months ago on the TXP when I bought it.  Good for you.

I also bought a TAS605A.  Not sure how I did.

Edited by ddgates - 25 Sep 2014 at 5:26pm
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 9:19pm
(deleted)

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Sep 2014 at 2:49pm
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 9:51pm
$3995 is the retail price according to the information on the Avidyne price list.

Of course an avionics shop could charge less and make it up by charging more for something else or by inflating the installation charge.

What you need to do is to find someone who is buying a dual IFD 540 setup.  He'd be eligible for two transponders and you could make a deal for one...
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 10:29pm
That is an interesting idea.

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Interesting. Here is the note I got from my dealer ..

Quote It appears that if you want to push the transponder issue, you will have to speak directly with Avidyne.  They are not prepared to do anything through the dealer, as the original "deal" was direct with them.   It would be up to us (or any dealer) to give you ... (a deal)

Dealer is quoting $4000.

Wonder why the difference. Is there a separate Canadian office?

* Orest

GOOD NEWS.

Full marks to Avidyne Sales, they called me regarding my apparent contradiction regarding Transponder discounts to pre-buy 540 folks.

My dealer had spoken to the International distributor, through which they have to deal with, who didn't know anything about any of this.

The deal is, much as noted upthread, when your pre-buy unit is ready to ship the sales rep that calls will ask if you are interested in any other equipment. If you are, then they will deal directly with your dealer to lower his dealer cost for that one unit (or units). They have promised to dealers that once units are certified, there will be no more company-direct sales, and that is why they are structuring it this way. They also want to tie the discount to a specific shipped unit, to ensure the end user gets the benefit.

So, then the dealer will pass that savings on to the customer, and you get your "deal". He couldn't give number specifics right now, but he indicated it would be a discount that you would take notice of.

Still have to see the numbers, but all that being case, I'm pretty sure I'll grab a transponder along with my pre-buy 540.

This is a quality operation, that really seems to care!

*Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Sep 2014 at 2:57pm
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 6:46pm
Until I read the "Early feedback on the IFD540" thread and Orest's "buyer beware" post regarding the free add-on Aeroplan program I would have sworn that "Orest" was a pseudonym the marketing department came up with to combat negativity with positive reinforcement for the 540, 340 and 240 product line. Obviously I was wrong and Orest and I are in the same boat, we both have a 540 coming soon and would love to put a 340 with it (ddgates sorry for me asking for an additional discount). So the 240 reviews are really good (I have one coming), the 340 is pretty much just a box I put 4 numbers in so other than ADS-B compatibility today there is not much to brag about other than being FAA compliant in 2020 with a 540.  My point being why not discount to folks who want a full Avidyne green and black stack? It would be impressive to see and even more impressive to see in action with potential Avidyne customers sitting in the right seat. Pre-buy folks get a credit based on the discounted price differential on future purchases or something to make them at least feel whole TCAS, PFD, (tee shirt...) etc. and get as much of your equipment as you can in your customer's airplanes. Just a thought...      
GDC25
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 6:56pm
Agree.

$500 delta aside, I think a good deal was struck, and I am in install now for my 540s etc.

In my case, couldn't pass up the PMA450 my shop is "throwing in".

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by glassanza glassanza wrote:

Until I read the "Early feedback on the IFD540" thread and Orest's "buyer beware" post regarding the free add-on Aeroplan program I would have sworn that "Orest" was a pseudonym the marketing department ....  

No, I'm the REAL deal. There was also my post about the ASPEN/ACU/ACU2 Baro Input Req'd thread.

I call them as I see them, but happy to give accolades where they are deserved.

* Orest

MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 6:00pm

GOOD NEWS.

Full marks to Avidyne Sales, they called me regarding my apparent contradiction regarding Transponder discounts to pre-buy 540 folks.

My dealer had spoken to the International distributor, through which they have to deal with, who didn't know anything about any of this.

The deal is, much as noted upthread, when your pre-buy unit is ready to ship the sales rep that calls will ask if you are interested in any other equipment. If you are, then they will deal directly with your dealer to lower his dealer cost for that one unit (or units). They have promised to dealers that once units are certified, there will be no more company-direct sales, and that is why they are structuring it this way. They also want to tie the discount to a specific shipped unit, to ensure the end user gets the benefit.

So, then the dealer will pass that savings on to the customer, and you get your "deal". He couldn't give number specifics right now, but he indicated it would be a discount that you would take notice of.

Still have to see the numbers, but all that being case, I'm pretty sure I'll grab a transponder along with my pre-buy 540.

This is a quality operation, that really seems to care!

*Orest

That is good news!  It does have one complication, though, which is that my airplane is in the shop already, so the avionics folks could be making progress on a 340 while we wait on my 540 window to come along.  We could just go ahead and start now, but of course without knowing the real pricing it's a little tough.

I will suggest that the avionics guy call Avidyne and try to work something out.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 1:01am
Well, I got an email, not a phone call.  They did not ask me about other equipment.  I told my dealer about the reports of Avidyne giving a $1K discount off of the dealer price, and he said he would shoot them an e-mail.  I'm still waiting to hear about that.  Pretty simple: If they'll sell me a xpndr for $2500, I'll buy it.  If not, I'll buy either a Trig or a King.  We'll see how it goes...
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 7:26am
+1
GDC25
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 9:08am
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

Well, I got an email, not a phone call.  They did not ask me about other equipment.  I told my dealer about the reports of Avidyne giving a $1K discount off of the dealer price, and he said he would shoot them an e-mail.  I'm still waiting to hear about that.  Pretty simple: If they'll sell me a xpndr for $2500, I'll buy it.  If not, I'll buy either a Trig or a King.  We'll see how it goes...

The discount will only be offered by Avidyne for units (transponder, audio, etc.) that would be sent along with pre-ship purchased 540 units. To that end, Avidyne sales insists on making that arrangement, only following a discussion with yourself, the purchaser. The Dealer is unlikely to be able to arrange that directly. As I mention upthread, the reason is that Avidyne wants to ensure that your discount gets directly to you.

Give Avidyne sales a call now, if you're interested.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 30 Sep 2014 at 9:11am
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 11:13am
Thanks Orest.  I'll call them.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 9:05pm

Orest, 

I got my email today wanting to make arrangements  for my IFD540 delivery.  I asked about any discounts they were offering.  I got the following response.

" You can have your Avidyne dealer contact the Sales team regarding the special pricing for the Transponder."

kinda feels like I got the cold shoulder and I'm no longer part of the family......

Edited by tony - 30 Sep 2014 at 9:12pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 12:21am
"After the love is gone..."???

I think this just references their switch from central to absolute dealer sales.

Edited by ddgates - 01 Oct 2014 at 12:22am
David Gates
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 11:57pm
Quote Garmin v. Avidyne (and all others) reminds me of Apple v. Android.  Android phones are cutting edge -- better screens, better cameras, more features, but there are still people that want an iPhone because it is an iPhone ("...but it's an iPhone!").

Yes, but you got it backwards!  In the case of mobile phones, Apple was the innovator and therefore is Avidyne's counterpart here.  The other companies like Samsung have been playing catch up and lagging on innovation, thus playing the role of Garmin!

As a Month 5 advance purchaser, it now looks as if I'll be waiting until 2015 for my IFD540.  No matter; I imagine it will still be the most advanced and innovative navigator on the market then as now.

Mike
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 9:23am
Quote Yes, but you got it backwards!  In the case of mobile phones, Apple was the innovator and therefore is Avidyne's counterpart here.  The other companies like Samsung have been playing catch up and lagging on innovation, thus playing the role of Garmin!

Although Apple was the one to bring a full screen phone to the market recently (this was tried in the 90's by others, but failed because of hardware limitations), they have fallen seriously behind in technology. Android devices have leapfrogged ahead in speed, power, screens, sizes etc, and as a result in popularity now outselling iOS 5 to 1. In that sense, I would see Avidyne very much as Android in the analogy, at least in the former aspect, and hopefully soon the latter.

Apple relies on a very loyal core following, that won't buy anything else. They can leverage that by keeping their prices and margins high, and the pressure to innovate is less. That may well be Garminesque, but in my view Garmin will have to seriously rejig their strategy in the changing GPS/COM market.

But really, I think the analogy does not fit very well. And before this explodes into a A vs G thread, lets devolve back to G vs A, or better still just Avidyne.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Oct 2014 at 9:37am
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 9:50am
In the panel mount WAAS GPS/Nav/Com Garmin has been operating without competition since they bought UPSAT in May, 2004. Until now as Avidyne has begun rolling out the 540.

In terms of installed base, market share, customer loyalty, etc. Garmin remains the market leader by a wide margin.

Those of us who took a chance on the IFD 540 hope that changes (of course).
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 2:06pm
Part of my reason to go with the Avidyne.
Old Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 3:24pm

Good Afternoon Santa Jim,

I ordered the ID-540 in the very last days of the 2011 Oshkosh Air Venture. My credit card shows the sale went through on August 4, 2011. I have never been advised of my position on the list and I have never been contacted by Avidyne. I did finally make a call yesterday and have now been advised that my shop should hear from Avidyne by the third week of October. Don't know what "month" that equates to. Sure would like to get it installed.

I am interested in the Transponder. We will see what my dealer has to say!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 3:40pm

Good afternoon Old Bob,

I expect you're at the end of the Month One buyer list.

Avidyne appears to have had trouble ramping up production. The good news for you is that yours is a slide in replacement so the installation will go quickly.

I bought mine when I saw you (and Larry) at ABS Las Vegas so I'm in month two.

Other than marketing info. on purchasing an IFD 540 I've not heard from Avidyne in a long time.

It seems to me they should be sending out confirmation emails giving us some kind of early warning.

Mine is a clean installation; I'd like to copy your installation. But I can't get a shop to start doing quotes (I don't have a shop selected, the one I used previously closed their doors) until I've got something specific.

I look forward to hearing about your experience.

Regards, Jim

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 4:51pm
The pre-buy INCLUDES not only the dealer markup, but also the installation fess, and for US buyers includes the shipping. You shouldn't have to pay for any of that.

Pre-buy users also get an extra year's warranty (1yr -> 2yr) included.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 5:19pm
I don't think the pre buy included install...
David Gates
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 5:35pm

The pre-buy INCLUDES not only the dealer markup, but also the installation fess,

I wish!

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 10:40pm

The pre-buy INCLUDES not only the dealer markup, but also the installation fess...  You shouldn't have to pay for any of that...

* Orest

Would that it were so...

Maybe that's some special deal for Canadians?  Or maybe just special deal for Orest because he has the most forum posts?

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 10:57pm
Quote Maybe that's some special deal for Canadians?  Or maybe just special deal for Orest because he has the most forum posts?

Hey, I'm up for that!

I must have been thinking of the dealer markup allowance. But, if it is just a clean slide in/slide out install, then it shouldn't be much more than a few hours labor for setup and books.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Oct 2014 at 10:57pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2014 at 7:23am
I think some of the very early pre-buys may have also covered installation, but as others have pointed out, most of the pre-buys do not.
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 1:59pm
Steve,

isn't it embarrassing for you, not to answer your confident prebuyers. You let them alone with speculations, and everyone gets a different statement.

I'm wondering how sympathetic the IFD 540 prebuyers are. They paid a lot of money in advance, and must see now, that the spontaneous customer gets a nearly same or better deal, and even gets the unit before. What kind of company philosophy does this management do? But anyway the prebuyers take care of this curious company, who cheated them over years.

I dont know, if this is Avidynes style of bussiness, but I think it is time to clear this confusion. If Avidyne has a powerful and competitive product, you have to say in this forum in the name of the management, what is going on: To blame the prebuyers furthermore as at least 2 years, or to give them a bonus (or not), and don't do a state secret with delivery dates!

For me the reputation of Avidyne is arriving a minimum, and i regret this. But it is the consequence of a very poor job of the leadership and sales team in this context.

Klaus

Klaus
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 2:45pm
Klaus,

There are definitely some things in your post that have me confused and maybe I should give more credit to the language barrier and I suspect I'm ill-equipped to properly address your post but....

Am I embarrassed?  No and I'm not even sure what you're trying to say.

We've cheated customers over the years?  You've got to be kidding me.

We're blaming pre-buyers and have been doing so for years?  I have no idea what you're talking about.

I definitely can't follow the point you're trying to make with "state secret with delivery dates."
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 3:11pm
FWIW ...

* Orest   <-- very sympathetic 540 pre-ship buyer

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Oct 2014 at 3:11pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 4:39pm
The facts are simple:

Avidyne had a <very> prerelease discount program.  Some of us took advantage, though the advantage may turn out to be less than our wildest dreams, it remains an advantage nonetheless.

Many wanted a clear path to a digital autopilot; no joy, disappointing but may happen at some point.

Avidyne was not deceptive about how they would deliver units once approved.  Again, most aren't getting maximal responsiveness, but Avidyne is performing on what they agreed to do, and from a business perspective, not having units to sell outright at market price at release would have killed Avidyne's rollout.  What would you do, sir, if it were your business and your investment, in an environment where for FAA and other reasons they couldn't build up a large inventory prior to approval?

Reaction to the transponder bundle could have been blunted by proactive communications to the prerelease group; they are attempting to remedy now.  Lessons learned.

There has been some cross messaging; not unusual when you have multiple sources.

That said, I have seen no deception or questionable business practices.  Quite the contrary, communications have been largely transparent, and I suspect the VP Development has spent a great deal of what should have been family time answering customer questions and concerns on Avidyne Live.  It is certainly inappropriate to beat on him or question his ethics.

My install should be done in about 10 days - and as one who got onboard this barge early I have to say I am happy that I should see electrons flowing <in the right direction> soon.  You will see the alphabet equivalent of a happy dance on this board when that happens.

After all of this, I look forward to the innovations Avidyne will deliver to my (installed) equipment, and am certainly open to further product purchase from this company should such products emerge.

Edited by ddgates - 06 Oct 2014 at 10:23am
David Gates
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 6:05pm
Very well said David.

+1

Victor
Mooney M20J
Sydney, Australia
bellanca1730a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 9:59am
Concur - well said, David.
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 4:20pm
I hadn't realized it before but Garmin recently reduced the price of their GTX 330 ES and offered an additional reduction when bought with the GTN 750.  I suppose the free transponder and e-mail with a comparison between the IFD 540 and GTN 750 is Avidyne's response.  In that context it makes sense.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 4:22pm
Yup.

Edited by AviJake - 06 Oct 2014 at 4:26pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Jrlumpp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 8:36pm
Does anyone know for sure that Aspen is charging a $2,000 unlock fee to allow the Avidyne ADS B transponder to display on the Aspen 1000?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:39pm
That unlock fee is for supplementary data display. It is not just for Avidyne data, but any traffic source, weather, spherics, etc.

* Orest

Jrlumpp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 11:42pm
My point being is that any discount by Avidyne on their transponder is cancelled out by the $2,000 unlock charge from Aspen to allow it to display on a pro 1000. The Aspen rep told me that their ads b unit has no unlock charge and puts traffic in 3D on their pro 1000 with synthetic vision. For those doing a Avidyne/Aspen install with ads b , the choice seems to be Aspen for the transponder.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic