Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > TAS600 Systems and ADS-B
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TAS6XXA Status

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TAS6XXA Status
    Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 12:25pm
Any prognostication about when the -A upgrades will be available for the TAS6XX series?
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 3:31pm
I'd plan for the spring of 2015.   Internal targets are this winter but I'm counting on the spring.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2014 at 3:50pm
Thanks. Steve.
David Gates
rumbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rumbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 10:35am
Steve, during the long months / years of waiting for the IFD540 certification, I watched you handle this community beautifully. I also saw you facilitate more than one depot refund. For reasons unrelated to your product, I have had to ask for a refund on my IFD 440s. I have now waited two months and am very frustrated with your organization. It feels mean-spirited and petty to withhold the money for so long.. especially after having had its use for years. Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 10:40am
You bet.  I'll get it resolved today.  Can you email me your contact info (AvidyneLive profile doesn't have all the data)?

Please send your contact info to sjacobson@avidyne.com

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 7:57pm
Steve,

Can you please advise whether the Garmin GMX200 MFD will display full ADSB functionality from a TAS605A?

I am worried as to whether the MFD will need a software upgrade and if so, they may design the upgrade so it works with only a Garmin TAS system, given their belligerent proprietory track record.

Also if this is the case then can your software engineers do a reverse engineering job on the 605A, as they did between the IFD and MapMx.

Victor
Mooney M20J
Sydney, Australia

Edited by Victor - 20 Nov 2014 at 8:02pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 7:40pm
In addition to continuing to support the current TAS traffic interfaces for compatibility with existing installations, the TAS-A will add an ADS-B traffic interface that provides full ADS-B traffic functionality.  It is uncertain at this time which manufacturers will support the TAS-A ADS-B traffic interface or whether Avidyne will take additional steps to expand compatibility.  To the extent that it is practical to do so without modifying the protocol, Avidyne also intends to enhance the traffic data provided on the legacy TAS traffic interfaces with the data received from ADS-B.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 8:48am
OK, been 3 months since last update.

Realize you are busy - but burden of announcing "coming soons" is moving in that direction.

Status of 6XXA ADS-B upgrades?

Thanks
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:24pm
(TAS6XXA Cert Status Update - 25 Feb 2015)

First customer shipments of the new certified TAS-A hardware is expected in May.  The new hardware supports easy field updates.  We intend to take advantage of this capability to offer customers new features and functionality in the months following initial shipment.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 3:46pm
What about the TAS605 I bought 3 months ago?
David Gates
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:20pm
How do I get my position in line ?
I puchased the TAS605 (with -A prepurchase upgrade included) last year
Tim
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 8:26pm
Some transparency needed here.

Many of us bought TAS boxes very recently. Now you are announcing NEW hardware?

Should be a straight across exchange.

Edited by ddgates - 26 Feb 2015 at 8:26pm
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 8:54pm
The TAS 600 is a $1500 (or something like that) upgrade, you send your 600 back, get a 600A, and it is plopped right back in your avionics bay.

The TAS 605 (and up) did have available a "free" upgrade to the 6xxA unit when available, but I don't know how long that lasted. It was one of the reasons I went with the 605, as the price delta 600 to 605 was almost the same cost.

The -A upgrade gives you ADS-B traffic IN on 1090, which extends your range, and improves accuracy as well.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 10:18pm
Thank you, but I am looking for Avidyne's comments.

To wit: you buy a new unit a few months ago thinking you are buying the latest and greatest; today appears an announcement "shipping soon, new technology, field upgradable, etc."

Since they were planning a changeover, would it have not been customer friendly to say "hold off a few, better stuff coming?"

Edited by ddgates - 26 Feb 2015 at 10:22pm
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 9:48am
Response coming.......double checking some facts internally first......
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
dryan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 3:34pm
The TAS-A is indeed a new product with a new hardware design.  It has been improved in many ways, but primarily to provide the capacity to support both active surveillance and the next generation ADS-B surveillance environment.  The TAS-A is designed to be a drop-in replacement for the TAS.

We recently made the TAS-A product available for purchase, which included a TAS unit for installation now and a free upgrade to a TAS-A when available.  It is very possible that your purchase included the upgrade.  To determine whether your TAS purchase qualifies for the free upgrade, please contact Avidyne sales (1-800-Avidyne).
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 3:45pm
OK, so if I understand you correctly, you are saying that the 605A that I purchased a few months ago, when you get your process underway will be sent back to you and it will become the new improved unit, either by modification or box swap?

That would be fine.
David Gates
dryan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 3:46pm
Correct.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 4:09pm
I am now looking forward to new functionality.

Thank you.
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 8:31pm
My Avidyne Installer today tells me the long awaited TAS6XXA upgrade will include FIS-B Wx (980 Mhz IN) in addition to 1090ES IN.

1.  Is this factual?
2.  What is latest expectation on "A" upgrade?

Thanks for accurate info.
Tom W.
jimelliott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimelliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 10:00pm
My TAS605 was just shipped from the factory Thursday.  I expect it to be delivered to my installer Monday.  Can I tell if it has the latest modifications from the data plate?  If so, what do I look for?

Jim Elliott
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

My Avidyne Installer today tells me the long awaited TAS6XXA upgrade will include FIS-B Wx (980 Mhz IN) in addition to 1090ES IN.

Oh how sweet that would be! But, that was never advertised before. 

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 10:07am
Agree.

That would be a great solution.  Display on the IFD540 - and if so, I would bag doing any display on the Aspens.
David Gates
dryan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2015 at 10:15am
The TAS-A is a 1090MHz only solution, so it will not be able to receive the 978MHz FIS-B Wx.  First customer shipments of the TAS-A is expected in May.
Baron jockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baron jockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 11:49am
I currently have the TAS605 with the ADS-B upgrade coupon.  The TCAD traffic now displays on my Garmin GMX-200.  (Garmin has just announced a unit software upgrade to 2.14, which adds new capabilities.)

May I assume that when the TAS605A upgrade becomes available in May or so, that the ADS-B traffic will also display on the GMX-200, but as a more accurate target?

Last, what will be the mechanics of the upgrade?  Does my avionics shop get a new board to install in the TAS, does the unit have to be shipped back for the work, or will there be some sort of swap?  Thanks. 
dryan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 12:14pm
Although Avidyne can't guarantee that any particular third-party display will work unmodified with the TAS-A, we have purposely avoided changes to the existing traffic interfaces that might cause problems.  It is our intention that all displays that work with the current TAS product will continue to work with the TAS-A.  We truly desire a smooth upgrade for our customers, which includes maintaining the display capabilities you currently enjoy.  As you anticipate, this means that ADS-B traffic presented on the legacy interface will gain the benefit of improved accuracy.

Our current plan is to perform upgrades as a unit swap.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 4:21pm
OK, so now we are at end of April.

I am going into annual at end of May, and am going to overlap major panel work as well.  Trying to be efficient.

What is the time schedule for the TAS605A unit swap?

Thank you.
David Gates
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 5:25pm

We have it internally queued up right behind Rel 10.1.  Now that 10.1 is in the hands of the FAA, our internal FAA designee (DER) is reviewing the submission data and when he's happy AND the FAA has granted us 10.1 TSO/STC, this submission package goes in.

If we use the 10.1 program as a "new normal", we may get a 90-day letter from the FAA.  If that happens and if they use all of their allotted 90 days, it could be as late as Sep.   If they go as fast as has normally happened up until 10.1, it could be as early as June.

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 5:45pm
We were told it would be May.

Quote from February:

"First customer shipments of the new certified TAS-A hardware is expected in May.  The new hardware supports easy field updates.  We intend to take advantage of this capability to offer customers new features and functionality in the months following initial shipment."

Edited by ddgates - 29 Apr 2015 at 5:48pm
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 7:04pm
Just spoke by phone with Avidyne Rep in Boston, who says "A" upgrade will be available "by end of Summer" - 

Being from Arizona, I asked him what he meant by "end of Summer", he said: "September [2015]" 

Oh Well.

Tom
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 7:38pm
Tom:

Experience on all product lines is that any time lines should be considered written in pencil.

David
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2015 at 9:40pm
David,
Even the phone call was written in pencil - with a large eraser.

Tom
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 7:43am
Tom:

It is pointless to try to anticipate in this realm.

I am hoping that at least some of the "gee whiz" stuff comes to reality before my flying career ends.

As I have posted several times, I think they would do better not to pre-announce anything, as it has resulted in almost universal failure in execution on dates.

David

Edited by ddgates - 29 May 2015 at 7:44am
David Gates
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 2:42pm
Slippery certification timelines are not unique to Avidyne.  I have observed similar on every certification program when I had an inside view of the goings on.  Just look at Cessna with their diesel powered 182.
OFD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OFD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 1:06am
Hi there,

Just wanted to check if there was any update to progress on certification of the 620A?

Thanks in advance. :D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic