Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early Feedback on the IFD540

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 8:11pm
Just tried it on the sim and sure enough, it works.  I totally missed that explanation in the pilot guide.  I have a feeling the 540s will something we will all be learning new features on for a very long time. :)
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 10:17pm
I think you're right, especially with the FMS.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2014 at 12:24am
Did the rocker buttons today...very nice. Wasn't able to get the data panel to open or close. Also tried longer light touch to bring up data on various elements on the map and it seemed to work.

Also loaded an RNAV approach LPV, but didnt get any glidepath guidance. I have the 106A indicator. Might have to peek in the manual on that one.

Edited by Joe Jet - 22 Oct 2014 at 8:19pm
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 12:11pm

Just got the hard copy of my manual delivered.

Just put RFQ for a 2nd IFD540 and 340 XPNDR. I'm sufficiently happy to replace my 2nd 430W after having the first 540 for only a month.

Going back to the avionics shop on Thursday for some small tweaks not all 540 related.

- My right strobe is interfering with auto ID of nav signal (nav 1 antenna is in right wing).  A faint tapping sound can be heard when that strobe fires when listening to the NAV1 audio.

- Rewiring remote XPNDR IDENT switch to become Pin 74 on P1001.  Wasn't exactly obvious what that was during the installation, but now I want it in place of a remote ident switch.

- No audio alerts from IFD540 - No one is sure why just yet as it was wired up per the IM to the PMA450.  Anyone know a quick way in the hanger to trigger an alert on the 540? I honestly haven't looked to see if this can easily be done.

- Investigate why no GAMA A429 data is making to my Garmin 330 XPNDR. Its making it to the GPSS.

- Wiring up SYNCHRO inputs from HSI to P1, 10, 23, 24, and 13+25.  Not sure it'll work as a magnetic heading source yet, but it'll at least be wired for future use.

- Left/Right audio channels are backwards, needs to be correct for the PMA450.  Probably mis-wired when GMA340 was installed 10-15yrs ago.

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 12:27pm
What does the remote ident rewire change do for you?
David Gates
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 12:54pm

Pin 74 on P1001. It's a Com Recall feature, where you can step through com channels on the IFD540. 

It gives you the features spelled out on page 4-5 of the pilot's manual (p115/226).

I figured that'd get used 100x more often than hitting the IDENT button.  I'll then have a Com Swap and a Com Recall.

Steve pointed me to correct pin.

Edited by roltman - 21 Oct 2014 at 12:59pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 1:00pm
Thanks.

Mine is already wired.

As a suggestion, it would be better if the install manual called out all wiring options - a number of us are going to get our airplanes back from install and then find out, "could have had ...".  I wonder how many are going to have to rewire or at least be tempted to do so when the software revision comes out facilitating Standby monitor capability?

Learning curve, I guess price of being an early adopter.

Edited by ddgates - 21 Oct 2014 at 1:01pm
David Gates
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 1:23pm

I gave Steve some suggestions last week for few little things.

He said they'd update the IM with Release 10.0.2.0

Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 1:52pm
roltman, would you mind sharing your suggestions here as well for the benefit of those who might have an installation begin before the new installation manual is released?  Thank you

Edited by Royski - 21 Oct 2014 at 1:52pm
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 2:39pm

Lets stick with just this one for now.

The description on page 4-5 of the PM wasn't clear to me what in the IM would enabled it.  It turns out that is Pin 74 on P1001. I then suggested in a follow up email that maybe add it to section 6.1.9.4  "Discrete Inputs", in the IM with a small blurb about what it does. 

Hopefully this is helpful to others.

Ryan

Edited by roltman - 21 Oct 2014 at 2:53pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 5:28pm
Yes, we have the opportunity to update the IM with Release 10.0.2.0.  Note that IMs are tough to update since they are considered "Approved Data" and require FAA signoff.   So, it's a lot tougher to update IMs than say Pilot Guides or other non-approved data.

One of the tweaks we'll make to the IM is to do a better job highlighting some of the optional wiring choices so they standout better.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 6:07pm
Jake,

That is a good plan, as just having finished install of the IFDs there is a balance between driving the installer nuts and making sure that you get all of the functionality which is available.

I would consider a checklist to the installer - Aspen does this with their PFDs on install.

Happily, I think I got all that is there except maybe the switch to bring up a saved frequency.

David Gates
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 5:43pm
I installed my IFD today and I have two question I cannot find the answer to in the manual.

Where can I trigger a strike test on the WX-500 connected to my IFD so I can check its connection?

How do class A boundaries display on the map? In Europe class A can start at various altitudes, as low as 1500 ft.

Grateful for a response.
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 8:56am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Yes, we have the opportunity to update the IM with Release 10.0.2.0.  Note that IMs are tough to update since they are considered "Approved Data" and require FAA signoff.   So, it's a lot tougher to update IMs than say Pilot Guides or other non-approved data.

One of the tweaks we'll make to the IM is to do a better job highlighting some of the optional wiring choices so they standout better.

Would be good if you posted the approved AFM supplement for the 540 on your website. The one on de CD that came with the device is labeled 'NOT FAA approved' and the paper copy was printed on 30% of the paper size.

Jorgen
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:00am
Will do early next week.  I didn't realize it was not there.  Thanks for the heads up.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:32am
There is no WX-500 strike test capability in the IFD540 at this time - installers do have a crude way of testing it now but not via an IFD540 selection.  It is a candidate for a future software release.

I'll have to look at the Class A depictions for Euro airspace in the lab early next week - I don't recall exactly what the answer is right now.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 10:52pm
Is there some additional selection I have to make to get a GS/VNAV vertical path indication on my 106A indicator when conducting an RNAV GPS LPV approach? I have searched the manual, but so far have only found a reference to check Advisory glideslope ON in AUX, user options; not even sure if that affects the indicator. I hope something isn't wired incorrectly. I do get GS indications when doing an ILS approach.

Edited by Joe Jet - 31 Oct 2014 at 7:40am
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 4:27am

There is no WX-500 strike test capability in the IFD540 at this time - installers do have a crude way of testing it now but not via an IFD540 selection.  It is a candidate for a future software release.

You mean using an electrical drill 3 ft from the antenna?

I'll have to look at the Class A depictions for Euro airspace in the lab early next week - I don't recall exactly what the answer is right now.

Thanks. The best place to judge this is by looking at London airspace which has an 'inverted wedding cake' pattern of class A around Heathrow reaching out into the entire Southeast of the UK. It's much like class B around major airports in the US.
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Joe Jet Joe Jet wrote:

Is there some additional selection i have to make to get a GS/VNAV vertical path indication on my 106A indicator when conducting an RNAV GPS LPV approach? I have even begun searching the manual, but so far have only found a reference to check Advisory glideslope ON in AUX, user options. And, not even sure if that affects the indicator. I hope something isnt wired incorrectly. I do get GS indications when doing an ILS approach.

Joe, if memory serves some pilots do not like or want the advisory glidepath and they asked Avidyne to make it a User On/Off item. I believe Avidyne complied so you will need to turn Advisory Glidepath On somewhere.

Advisory glidepaths at some airports have been known to be a problem if one was to follow them strictly to the airport. They could place one below an MDA at given fix or leave one with unsafe terrain separation.

Always make sure you adhere to the approach plate MDA's on such an approach and that you don't leave the MDA until you've got the airport in sight.

Regards, Jim
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 3:36am
AviJake 

Have now made my first IFR flight with the 540. Loved it although I am still getting used to the new UI. Its a huge step up from my old 530W.

I noticed what seemed like a bug. When on the flight plan tab of the FMS section during flight I tried to enter a waypoint after the last waypoint in the flight plan. Of the box for the new waypoint, only the top 20% or so showed at the bottom of the list so I could not see the waypoint name that I was editing. If I tried to scroll it up with my finger the keyboard emerged. I could type in the name of the waypoint and it showed correctly after that but it was uncomfortable editing it in the blind.

I would also like to be able to enter departures for all airports in the flight plan, not just the airport of origin. It feels like departures are second citizens in the UI compared to arrivals.

Lastly I noticed that when you enter a long airways route (I tried one for a 4 hour flight consisting of 6 different airways) the map preview keeps jumping between your current location and the section you are editing which makes the map very jumpy and rendering is constantly trying to catch up with you edits. Would be much better to just let it move with your edits. Have a look at the attached YouTube video for what I mean.

Edited by jhbehrens - 27 Oct 2014 at 9:03am
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:14am
Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

Originally posted by Joe Jet Joe Jet wrote:

Is there some additional selection i have to make to get a GS/VNAV vertical path indication on my 106A indicator when conducting an RNAV GPS LPV approach? I have searched the manual, but so far have only found a reference to check Advisory glideslope ON in AUX, user options; not even sure if that affects the indicator. I hope something isn't wired incorrectly. I do get GS indications when doing an ILS approach.

Joe, if memory serves some pilots do not like or want the advisory glidepath and they asked Avidyne to make it a User On/Off item. I believe Avidyne complied so you will need to turn Advisory Glidepath On somewhere.

Advisory glidepaths at some airports have been known to be a problem if one was to follow them strictly to the airport. They could place one below an MDA at given fix or leave one with unsafe terrain separation.

Always make sure you adhere to the approach plate MDA's on such an approach and that you don't leave the MDA until you've got the airport in sight.

Regards, Jim

Havent had a chance to check my actual unit and see if advisory glideslope is on or not. I have checked both the domestic and jnternational ipad sims and it seems the default setting is GS on. In the Boeing FMS the glidepath goes from the last waypoint, ususally the runway waypoint, at the published angle back and guarantees crossing all MDA constraints at or above published segment minimums. I would think that this is both a TERPS and certification requirement. Ill have to wait to check my actual installed 540.

Edited by Joe Jet - 27 Oct 2014 at 9:21am
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:39am
Joe,

These are ADVISORY glidepaths. They aren't an official part of the procedure.

Much has been written about these and the places where they can lead a pilot astray.

YMMV.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

Lastly I noticed that when you enter a long airways route (I tried one for a 4 hour flight consisting of 6 different airways) the map preview keeps jumping between your current location and the section you are editing which makes the map very jumpy and rendering is constantly trying to catch up with you edits. Would be much better to just let it move with your edits. Have a look at the attached YouTube video for what I mean.
I would think that the system doesn't know when you are done entering more waypoints so that is why it jumps back to the active leg.  Maybe it should stay where you are editing for a fixed time period like 5 seconds then time-out back to the active leg.

Edited by brou0040 - 27 Oct 2014 at 1:49pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 8:06pm
Noted, agreed, and working on it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 2:52am
Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

Joe,

These are ADVISORY glidepaths. They aren't an official part of the procedure.

Much has been written about these and the places where they can lead a pilot astray.

YMMV.

Jim:

Did a little more homework. The vertical guidance is only "advisory" on the LNAV + V LNAV approach. When conducting a LNAV/VNAV or LPV approach the glidepath is part of the procedure and not advisory and should be displayed without selecting advisory glidepath on. Also found the following in the manual:

When GPS has been selected as the nav source, and one of the
RNAV/GPS approach types with vertical guidance (LPV, L/VNAV,
LNAV+V) is selected in the FMS, the IFD will transmit horizontal
and vertical deviation for use by any integrated external display
device.

... Vertical guidance is provided to minimums as low
as 200’ AGL above the touchdown zone. Lateral
tolerance starts out at 0.3 NM full-scale (slightly tighter
than a localizer at the FAF), transitioning to 350 feet
either side at the runway threshold (slightly looser than a
localizer). The steering remains linear all the way so you
don’t get the difficult to follow swings of a VHF localizer
close to the runway. The vertical guidance is precise and
has a DA/DH (shown as “DA(H)” on approach charts)
rather than a MDA. The Nav Mode datablock will display
“LPV” for the approach type.

Edited by Joe Jet - 30 Oct 2014 at 4:03am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 8:45am
The +V advisory glidepath is a very important improvement that will help guide you to a stable approach. The Boeing Banana, which hopefully we will see soon, will contribute as well where other guidance is not available. Whether a +V NPA, LNAV/VNAV or ILS, one always has to be mindful of stepdowns outside the FAF, and terrain below the MDA or DH, but that is not a reason to disable vertical guidance as far as I can see. That said, it is nice to see the option for those that want that, something that G does not provide.

Quote transitioning to 350 feet either side at the runway threshold (slightly looser than a localizer).

Joe - IIRC, a LOC is always calibrated to be 700ft total (350ft each way) deviation at the threshold, no?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 30 Oct 2014 at 8:49am
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 9:45am
I've had the Advisory glidepath for years in my CNX 80. One just must be aware of the limitations inherent in the advisory system.

I've been flying with a full WAAS GPS for 10+ years and understand it well.
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 9:46am
Joe,

If you don't get a GPS generated glidepath on an LPV approach your installer made a mistake or you've got faulty hardware.

Jim
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 7:35am
Orest

That sounds about right on the LOC. if i remember correctly It is 3-6 deg wide; varied depending on the length of the runway to get the width you mentioned. Thats is the reason for the increased sensitivity of a localizer going to a longer runway. The consistency and decreased sensitivity of the LP and LPV WAAS GPS approaches as mentioned in the manual should make them nicer to fly.

Jim

Back to my glidepath indication issue. I would think that if my 540 is driving the GS indication during an ILS approach, then everything is wired correctly. The real question at this point is does the advisory glide path option have to be selected on for an indication for not just a LNAV + V advisory, but also the LNAV/VNAV, and LPV.

Steve can you answer that las question?

Edited by Joe Jet - 31 Oct 2014 at 7:43am
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 8:02am
It is my understanding that there has been a change in the Jepp database where under some circumstances (I can't remember all of the details), the +V is not generated in the current version of the IFD540 software.  My airport is one that has been affected and in previous database versions I was able to fly an LNAV+V approach, but now it will not show vertical guidance.  I believe there is a fix for a future software release.

Not showing vertical guidance on a LPV approach is a different issue and at least in the Garmin world, may be a result of wiring (assuming you get vertical guidance on an ILS).  I don't know about the IFD540.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic