Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Navdata

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Navdata
    Posted: 05 Oct 2014 at 8:45am
Copied from another thread:

Originally posted by Royski Royski wrote:

Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

I can think of three issues with allowing other companies to produce charts and plates for the IFD.

One is certification.  If you buy a download from Joe's Bar & Grill and Charts and Plates are you legal to fly IFR approaches?  Who said the data is good and how was it tested?

Another is financial.  I think Jepp gives Avidyne money whenever they sell an IFD subscription.  This revenue stream is part of Avidyne's financial model.  If they didn't get it they would have to charge IFD owners somehow to make up the difference.

Another is contractual.  I don't know if the contract with Jepp has limits on what they can do that competes.

I'm sure Seattle would like to be able to sell charts for a certified GPS but by the time they overcame the hurdles I don't know if they would be much less expensive.

(Nature abhors a vacuum and fills it with speculation.  Steve, feel free to chime in and correct my musings.)

Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

Steve, will Avidyne make the ICD for the database public so other companies like Seattle Avionics can compete with jepp? 

The above is copied from other threads.  The Jepp navdata rates are incrementally more than I was paying for my 430, but of course my 430 was non-waas.  In any case I did not see these questions answered. 

I believe it is safe to say most if not all of us would prefer competition over a monopoly in navdata providers.  So how about it?  Should we expect to see other options at some point such as Seattle Avionics?
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
helojunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helojunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:15am
FYI - 

I had a Garmin 430 waas and an MX20. I switched my services yesterday (US IFR w/charts) and it was about $255.62 more per year than the service for the 430W and MX20. Exact same service, $255.62 more per year. 

This may have been because I only had a single GPS before and now I have two IFD540s, but when I asked about the cost increase they told me they didn't know why it was more, just that it was more.

Edited by helojunkie - 14 Oct 2014 at 9:16am
Richard J. Sears
ATP ASMEL/Rotor
G-V, CE525S, CE500
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 3:15pm
Richard,

We'll run that example by the Jepp reps we work with to see if they agree with that pricing quote you got.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 2:46am
I just called Jeppesen in Germany to activate my navdata subscription for the IFD540 and they couldn't find it in their database. On their website in the section on Avidyne products there is also no IFD540 shown, just an 'Entegra IFD' with a picture of the Entegra only so I am guessing this is not the right subscription either.

http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/charts/ads-avidyne.jsp#matrix

Seems a little work is needed to get Jeppesen support in place still?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 6:55pm
Frustrating for sure.  If you send me (sjacobson@avidyne.com) your contact info, we'll make sure the Jepp rep fixes this pronto.

We talked to them today and they insist they have it all squared away but I can't personally vouch for it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 6:56pm
Richard,  did you get a call from a Jepp rep to square away your pricing/subscription questions?  We passed your info along last week and they said they'd take care of it.  Did they?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 8:54am
Scott - Jeppesen have sorted it out in the mean time through some kind of manual entry of the order and I have been able to update the navdata.
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 4:18am
The manual mentions a FOB, USB memory stick, for use in updating the nav data. Was that supposed to come with my IFD 540?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 8:38am
I've read that any good quality FOB will do. There is supposed to be a 2 GB (?) one included with the device.

* Orest

Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 9:02am
Orest,
Yes, (2GB)
 I looked at my IDF540 , AXP340 and the 2GB FOB on my dealers storage shelf (waiting
for completion of my installation).
Gary-T
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 9:20am
You will want to make sure you get it, at least those who have not yet had installs completed.  

I picked up my Bonanza post install - received a lot of stuff - but no fobs.  Have asked them to find them.
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 3:02pm
We do include a FOB in every IFD540 shipping box.  If you don't have one, check with the installer who definitely got one when we shipped the IFD to them.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 9:27am
This is a question for those who have been through more than one data update cycle. After our first download, the USB fob contained three database files (charts, navdata and obstacles) and some sort of authorization file. As a practice, it seems to make sense to delete old files prior to the next download, both to conserve space on the fob and to avoid confusion about which files to download into the IFD540. Should the authorization file be deleted along with the data files, or does it make any difference?

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 9:46am
Authorization file can be deleted.  I don't even know what is and I never use one for my periodic database updates.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic