Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DataBase Updates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LarryPetro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DataBase Updates
    Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by helojunkie helojunkie wrote:

As a side note to OSX users like myself, the OSX JSUM will not program the Charts. It works for everything else, but after three separate laptops failed to load the charts with a 500 error, I called Jeppesen and they suggested trying windows. 

I booted into Windows XP on my parallels and it programmed just fine!

Which Mac and OS version are you using?  I'm running OS X 10.9.5 on a late-2012 iMac, and have not had success with JSUM.

Larry Petro - Columbia 350 @ KFME
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 3:13pm
Sorry for my misunderstanding.  

Yes, you can load multiple data file types on the same USB fob.  I do it all the time in that I typically have on a single fob:

Chart database
Nav database
Obstacle database
Last few flights worth of data logs
Checklist backup file
Latest software loads for the software releases under development
Copy of my personal bucket list

All that data lives together on the fob and places nicely together and with the IFDs.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
helojunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helojunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:19am
Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

I expect your recommendation is to keep and use a spare thumb drive?

BTW, Each unit comes with an 8GB USB drive, you only need a single USB drive to program both units so it would be easy to use the second UBS drive for the next revision. 

Of course, that assumes that you purchased two units.  :-)
Richard J. Sears
ATP ASMEL/Rotor
G-V, CE525S, CE500
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:15am
Jake,

Being able to download a 2nd cycle can be beneficial.

My CNX 80 takes a compact flash card that will do that and if memory serves the unit will load the appropriate database based on the date.

Inevitably some trips will cross over the change date and it's not always convenient to have a computer along.

I expect your recommendation is to keep and use a spare thumb drive?
helojunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helojunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:12am
teeth6 - 

I did my first nav data/chart/obstacle service updates yesterday. Using the 8GB USB FOB that comes with the 540 unit, I was able to download (using JSUM) the revisions for both radios including US IFR and Jepp Charts on one FOB.

Then I simply programmed each 540 separately using the same FOB. 

After I programmed the FOB with JSUM, I found only four files on the FOB:

authorize.dat
Charts.dsf
navdata.dsf
obstacles.dsf

I can only assume that next time I do an update, JSUM will overwrite these files with the exact same named files preventing someone from having two different revisions on their USB drive.

As a side note to OSX users like myself, the OSX JSUM will not program the Charts. It works for everything else, but after three separate laptops failed to load the charts with a 500 error, I called Jeppesen and they suggested trying windows. 

I booted into Windows XP on my parallels and it programmed just fine!

Richard J. Sears
ATP ASMEL/Rotor
G-V, CE525S, CE500
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 4:32pm
Steve, I think you were answering if we could load different cycles of the same service (Nav Data) onto the same FOB.  If so, I assume you could load different services onto the same FOB (Nav Data and charts and terrain) if the FOB was large enough correct?  In doing my chart updates on my EX500, which also used a FOB, I believe it overwrote the older data with the newer data on download because I never had to erase the FOB before downloading a new update.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 1:32pm
In short, No.

Now if you managed to get two different cycles of a database on a fob, the IFD540 will recognize that and let you pick the one you want to load, but in practice, I don't think this can be done.

By way of a test, we loaded an obstacles file onto a USB fob from JSUM and then did it again this time choosing a different cycle and saw the following:

-          The file name is name is generic: obstacles.dsf

-          The internal dsf name that shows in Mx Mode has the cycle dates.

-          When programming the second subscription, a message popped up in JSUM saying that the thumb drive had  a current service programmed on it, asking for confirmation to reprogram

o   This essentially prevented JSUM from having two revs on the thumb drive. After we told it to go ahead, it wiped out the first service and completely replaced it with the new one.

o   So a customer using JSUM shouldn’t ever be able to have two revs on the same thumb drive.

-        We did a similar check with navdata, and the results were the same: generic name; confirmation message; dsf replaced with subsequent download etc.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 10:45am
Can we load and download multiple database uploads onto the same USB stick when we are close to a new database cycle?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 4:11pm
You will definitely like the Jepps. I've used them years. Very clean and well organized.

Being in Canada, but flying into the US often, that is also the only way to be looking at the same chart wherever I fly.

* Orest

roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 1:48pm

Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

That is encouraging news.  What seems to be the cost for the Nav Data and Chart subscription?

I went with entire 48 states of USA with chart service and figured I'd try their JeppDirect stuff too.  Based on the receipt it is called:  "Avidyne IDF 540 Suite Plus IFR"

I know Nav data only (no charts) was a minor cost increase ~$10 or $20 so from my 430W nav database.  I didn't write it down exact number as I wanted to try charts for a year.

There was a version without their iPad app and associated stuff for $994 for all USA.  I think it was called "Avidyne IDF 540 Suite IFR"  (i.e. minus the "Plus").

The version I purchased has charts, obstacles/terrain and nav data for aircraft for $1267 including up to 4(?) installations of their PC/iPad software.  I haven't used Jepp charts previously, so getting it on the iPad/PC was a way for me to become familiar with them outside of the aircraft.

Bradley N. Brown <Bradley.Brown@jeppesen.com> is a point of contact at Jepp for these questions.

Hope this helps.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 7:28am
Reference Tony's question, yes, the 540 and 440 count as two 540s.  In fact, as many Avidyne IFDs and MFDs of any shape/size as you can fit in your airplane count as one "system" for the new Jepp pricing scheme.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 9:39pm
roltman, if you have an IFD540 and an IFD 440, does that count the same as two 540s? 
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 9:07pm
That is encouraging news.  What seems to be the cost for the Nav Data and Chart subscription?
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 8:23pm
I have only one IFD540, but Jepp told me there's one cost per plane for the 540, and no break for my remaining 430w.
Two 540s would have zero increase in cost w.r.t. databases.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 7:33pm
Hmmm..Are you saying that you do NOT need a dual subscription for 2 540s?   I had dual 430s and had to have a dual subscription for the Nav Data.  I download one to one data card and the other to my 2nd data card.   I was expecting to have to do something similar but onto USB drives instead.  From what you are saying, it sounds like the cost for a single 540 data plan can be used to "feed" two 540s???  True?
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 7:27pm
I have two IFD540s and I am able to download one set of databases (in my case Nav, Obstacle, Charts).  I download onto one USB drive, then copy it to the other.  I can then insert both USBs into my IFDs and update them at the same time.  This will only work on your aircraft and has something to do with the N-Number in the IFD540 during the install.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 3:34pm
In reading the manual, it suggests have a separate USB thumbdrive for each 540 so that updates can be happen in parallel.   I know that for the dual 430s, JSUM allowed only 2 downloads of Nav Data before it showed zero available.  Am I correct, that Avidyne is suggesting downing one set of Nav Data onto 1 USB Fob and then downloading the other set of Data onto the other USB Fob? 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic