Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New MLB100 978 MHz ADS-B In Receiver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 10:26pm
Yah, Mike and Orest have it correct.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 8:38pm
At present there is no interoperability with ASPEN weather and the IFD540, I investigated that. That may change. There is a solution for downlink weather to the 540, but that won't propagate to the ASPEN.

Mike - in your setup (very similar to mine), the MLB100 will give you FIS-B on the 540, and that's about it. It may however propagate back to the ASPEN, but that is unknown at the moment.

However, that is a relatively cheap way to get some level of weather on the 540, and the 540 does a dazzling job of displaying and using weather data.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 Oct 2014 at 10:32pm
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 7:14pm
Let's say hypothetically that I have an Aspen Evolution system, an Aspen datalink receiver, an AXP-340, an IFD-540, and a TAS-605A with your eventual upgrade to support ADS-B In.

I'm trying to figure out if this new MLB100 adds any functionality.

It seems that it would provide TIS-B, but I should be able to get that via the TAS-605A.  It will provide FIS-B, but I should get equivalent data from the Aspen receiver (which can be displayed on the 540, right?).  The Aspen has a subscription cost, but it works on the ground, which is not guaranteed with FIS-B, and the weather products are not geographically limited in the same way as FIS-B.

If I'm reading it correctly, the MLB-100 is not a full UAT, it is just a receiver on the UAT band, correct?  That means that the only thing I should get that is not provided by my existing equipment would be the air-to-air reports from other aircraft that have a UAT rather than 1090-ES output.  And those aircraft should show up either via ADS-R through the TAS-605A, or via the TAS-605's interrogation of their Mode C transponder, although the latter would not have the precise data available with ADS-B.

I guess you might eventually allow relay of some of the FIS-B data through the 540's wireless radios to portables like an iPad, but that's not announced yet.  I don't know if the same thing would be possible with the datalink stuff coming from the Aspen receiver.  They don't seem to support it via Connected Panel, but I don't know if that's a licensing issue from the data provider, or just their own lack of development of that product.

Have I got that more or less correct?

Edited by MikeK - 18 Oct 2014 at 7:16pm
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 1:09pm

Very interesting.

Jake, do you know if the unit (or the 540) will provide an audio "traffic" alert?

I like to fly with my eyes outside the cockpit and ideally a traffic system would give me an audio alert that I'd missed something. A quick glance at the display to find out where the traffic is then eyes back outside to identify the target. That's the thought...

Regards, Jim

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 11:33am
I would take a slightly different tack.

The TXP gets you ADS-B out whether or not you choose to use a portable/iPad for ADS-B in (display).

I like what I am doing with thee TXP and the TAS device - at least around a high density traffic area (PHX class Bravo) - got it covered. The TAS (someday) will integrate active transponder trafffic with ADS-B traffic (again, someday..)

Then add the receive only box (and as stated there are bunches out there) - voila!

My total cost for ADS-B in/out (sans install, which is also trivial) is going to be ~ 3.2K. Completely functional, and fully 2020 compliant.

David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 11:28am
I have been looking for a way to put weather on the 540 screen, well first I need to get a 540, but I digress ...

There is a satellite downlink solution available currently, but the cost is $5000+ installed, and then there is the $1000/year subscription, and it won't populate my ASPEN.

A certificated ADS-B in, for me, might be just about perfect. Especially given its lower install & $0 subscription cost, and the chance that it might feed the ASPEN. It is only a part solution, as it is US only and then with the limitations of ADS-B coverage, but I spend a lot of time in the US, and most of the time I'm in the near border regions where ADS-B weather will still populate.

Traffic doesn't matter to me as I have an active traffic solution.

I have a tablet in the cockpit, but seldom use it except maybe to pull up charts, it is a backup. On a longer trip I may pull it out and play with it. For me, everything is on the panel. I recognize I may be perhaps a minority.

In any case, I look forward to seeing other solutions as well. The MLB100 alone will not supplant a more "portables" focused cockpit, which is likely the majority, unless you can feed that data out by wifi/bluehost. Hmm.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Oct 2014 at 11:30am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 8:35am
Oh, on the contrary, I would say we totally get it and have figured it out.  Along those lines, this MLB100 product is not the only one we'll create to provide a broad set of options/solutions for the market.

We would certainly agree that some of the architectures/combos you guys suggest are a very good set for a large part of the market.

This current set of options/solutions does work quite well for number of folks and for those for whom it doesn't, we will eventually have some more available options/solutions to consider.

Edited by AviJake - 10 Oct 2014 at 8:38am
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 7:18am
If ADSB-in was integrated into a transponder, that would be a differentiator in the marketplace.  If I was in the market for a transponder that would probably sway my decision.  Short of that, Ill just keep it on my IPAD.
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 5:59am
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

ADSB-in weather receivers are a dime a dozen.  Plenty of inexpensive, highly-functional devices out there to do that today.  Hard to justify paying $3K to have it on my 540 instead of $500-$1000 to have it on my Nexus 7 or iPad.

Traffic is the differentiator.  An elegant and affordable solution for ADSB-out (to trigger the traffic broadcast from the FAA) plus a well-integrated ADSB-in receiver that can feed Wx and traffic to _all_ their displays--panel-mounted and portable alike--is what GA pilots are looking for.

From my perspective, Avidyne hasn't figured that out yet.  The AXP340+TAS6XXA/MLB100 isn't it:  Bugsmashers don't need 1090ES, they're better suited to 978-out where they can form their own mesh network in the lower altitudes if there's no ADSB tower around.  They don't need to mesh-network with the flight level traffic.  And the TAS box is just too darned expensive for the typical bugsmasher owner.  The MLB100 doesn't give me anything a far less-expensive solution--one that I already have, BTW--doesn't already provide.

Color me disappointed.

I wasn't going to say it, but now that it has been said...
I too already have ads-b in, and yes it was relatively cheap.

This, exactly:
 An elegant and affordable solution for ADSB-out (to trigger the traffic broadcast from the FAA) plus a well-integrated ADSB-in receiver that can feed Wx and traffic to _all_ their displays--panel-mounted and portable alike--is what GA pilots are looking for.

Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 10:51pm
ADSB-in weather receivers are a dime a dozen.  Plenty of inexpensive, highly-functional devices out there to do that today.  Hard to justify paying $3K to have it on my 540 instead of $500-$1000 to have it on my Nexus 7 or iPad.

Traffic is the differentiator.  An elegant and affordable solution for ADSB-out (to trigger the traffic broadcast from the FAA, and of course meet the 2020 mandate) plus a well-integrated ADSB-in receiver that can feed Wx and traffic to _all_ their displays--panel-mounted and portable alike--is what GA pilots are looking for.

From my perspective, Avidyne hasn't figured that out yet.  The AXP340+TAS6XXA/MLB100 isn't it:  Bugsmashers don't need 1090ES, they're better suited to 978-out where they can form their own mesh network in the lower altitudes if there's no ADSB tower around.  They don't need to mesh-network with the flight level traffic.  And the TAS box is just too darned expensive for the typical bugsmasher owner.  The MLB100 doesn't give me anything a far less-expensive solution--one that I already have, BTW--doesn't already provide.

Color me disappointed.

Edited by MysticCobra - 10 Oct 2014 at 6:01am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 8:11pm
1.  Plan on late winter/early spring 2015.
2.  We're working through those details.  I suspect most folks who want the MLB100 will use it for the ADS-B weather and to a lesser extent, the traffic.    We're working through the user interface of the traffic source indication including if it even matters.   Fun internal debate.

TAS-A should be in the spring too.

Edited by AviJake - 09 Oct 2014 at 8:12pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 8:06pm
Quote The TAS6XXA is also a ADS-B "In" product that exists too.

Well, not to be picky, but the -A is NOT available yet. I have the 605 and await the -A, maybe next Spring?

My question is:

1)  Timeline on the MLB100?

2)  How is the overlap between a TAS605 system upgraded to -A, when it becomes available, reconcile the two sources of traffic data?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 09 Oct 2014 at 8:09pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 7:49pm
$2495.

Just "In".

"Out" is via the AXP340 Mode S Transponder.

The TAS6XXA is also a ADS-B "In" product that exists too.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 7:38pm
How much?
Just in, not out?
Is out coming in another version?

Edited by FORANE - 09 Oct 2014 at 7:42pm
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 7:28pm
Today Avidyne announced another part of the ADS-B product line.

See this link for an overview:

Let the questions begin.....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic