Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New MLB100 978 MHz ADS-B In Receiver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 7:39pm
Got it.

I don't envy you what you are doing, particularly WRT the Feds.
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 7:43pm
I fly with them for what they expect to be their final flight test of this and the rest of 10.1.0.0 on Wed afternoon (tomorrow).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 7:55pm
Excellent!
888dom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 888dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 8:53am
Do you anticipate having the Wifi unlocked with version 10.1? If so, have you also been able to secure an agreement with a vendor (hopefully Foreflight) that will allow us to show the traffic on our iPads until you're able to demonstrate what the FAA requires to get it on the 540?
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:01am
In a different thread discussion AviSimpson said bluetooth activation would be enabled ( version 10.1)
first  and wifi released in a later version.
Gary-T
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:10am
Not exactly.

All the code required for Bluetooth and WiFi operations are in Release10.1.0.0.

But, the FAA has added additional cert requirements on the STC side of that. So, until the extra STC work is done on that (post Rel 10.1.0.0 STC), we have set an internal bit in a manner that disables the Bluetooth and WiFi functionality. Once that extra STC work is done, a software utility will be released (at no $ charge) that you can squirt into the USB port that will take about 4 seconds.

As for the WiFi apps, the vendors all still want to keep mum until you can actually download them from the app stores. So for now, we stay tight-lipped.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
888dom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 888dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:13am
I did read that post Gary, thank you.  I'm a little bummed that Avidyne somehow 'missed' the part where the FAA required directional icons for ADS-B traffic display.  It seems like there must be published guidance of the rules to work from somewhere - the 'G' company must have read that line.  I understand leaving things out for the speed of certification and I give Avidyne credit that since the release of the 540 they have been working feverishly to improve it. The speed to market problem still haunts them though and will for years to come.  

Are there any teasers about the wifi/bluetooth iPad connection that you guys can share? I see this as likely the best feature of the 540. I've resisted buying a Stratus for 3 years hoping for a certified solution and on-screen display.  I suppose another few months won't hurt me either but it's very disappointing that I'll still be waiting on ADS-B traffic on my 540 if I do purchase an MLB 100.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:16am
To be clear, we did not miss that guidance. There is a clause that permits exactly what we did but an internal argument with the cert authority overroad and the subsequent course reversal came too late in this project.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:39am
Understandably, those who have bought these boxes want all the functionality and gee-whiz factor obtainable.

I think Avidyne is trying to deliver this as expeditiously as they can, given that they carry a 100-stone (FAA) weight on their back, and are probably limited in coding staff.

It is in Avidyne's best interest competitively to bring innovation to the marketplace as quickly as possible, and it is pretty obvious to me that Avidyne is trying to deliver on that.

It has been a long slog, though, in the Avionics marketplace in general with all the "coming soon..." announcements that has become the modus operandi for this market segment.  I understand it - jockeying for market share must be the driver.

Thanks, Steve.
David Gates
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:42am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

1.  Yes, that's the plan.
2.  Yes, BUT......the FAA did not like our implementation of the traffic icons so we had to pull that part out of Release 10.1.0.0.  We will be adding it pronto after 10.1 and the 440 are released.
3.  Yes, that's included in Release 10.1.0.0.

Thanks, Jake.

Sounds good to me. I am very interested in your product to make sure the integration works well. Plus I can let my bank account recuperate a bit.

Separately, would there be any benefit to having this particular box be a dual band receiver? (1090 and 978)

I suppose it could pick up some traffic when outside the ADS-B broadcast area.

I have noticed that my current setup doesn't pick up targets until I'm up in the air a bit (above pattern altitude).

Regards, Jim
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:57am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Glad to see you have moved from the 480 world - I am making the same move in 2-weeks and had been so reluctant at first to give up the great 480.

Only a few small functions I will miss on the 480, but so much more on the 540 - I described the 540 to Keith Thomassen as a 480 on steroids!

Hi Tom,

I didn't give up my CNX 80 (aka GNS 480). It simply became GPS/Nav/Com #2 and my '76 vintage Collins Nav/Com, ADF and 90's vintage KN 64 DME were removed.

I agree that the 540 is like a 480 on steroids, we are very pleased with it so far.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 9:57am
Jim:

Just my opinion - I think the best solution is a traffic system like the TAS605A which will have 1090 in.  Then all you need is 978 in to catch FIS-B and the TIS rebroadcast.

If you don't have 1090 traffic then I think the dual frequency box is the best solution.

Best.

David
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 10:56am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Jim:

Just my opinion - I think the best solution is a traffic system like the TAS605A which will have 1090 in.  Then all you need is 978 in to catch FIS-B and the TIS rebroadcast.

If you don't have 1090 traffic then I think the dual frequency box is the best solution.

Best.

David

Agreed, that is what I did, but that is pricey. 

And actually, the TAS605A will pick up the TIS-R (978, 1090 & Mode C traffic) on 1090. You only need to add 978 if you don't have satellite weather and want FIS-B weather.

* Orest

SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 11:31am
Agreed, active traffic is the best, but I'd rather save that money.

Still, it won't catch them all either. Plenty of airplanes still flying without an electrical system or a transponder.

Regards, Jim
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2015 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

... Plenty of airplanes still flying without an electrical system or a transponder.

Regards, Jim

Yes, we have to hunt them down.  ;-)

The Pattern at small uncontrolled fields on a blue sky day can be scary.

* Orest

comancheguytoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2015 at 10:28pm
Hi Jake, just received my 540 & 340 yesterday and am awaiting the MLB, but Az does raise one interesting point about supporting 978 only.  Maybe you could clarify. 

With 1090 out only(AXP340) and 978 in only(MLB100), it seems like Avidyne guys could be in a scenario where they can't see one another(less TAS of course), when guys with cheaper systems could see us and themselves. 

i.e. If two of us with 540/340/MLB are flying outside the UAT envelope(Owens Valley, CA for instance), we'd both be transmitting out 1090, and both waiting to hear on 978, and we might see the Cub below us with a Freeflight transponder, but we'd be running in stealth mode for each other.

Does that sound right?

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 12:21am
I believe your AXP340 1090 OUT will trigger ground station FIS-R which will then send a signal on BOTH 1090 and 978.  So, in fact the MLB100 Traffic IN on 978 will be seeing traffic from both sources, and is only needed if you do not otherwise already have 1090 IN (like on TAS-"A", if it ever is available). 

Tom W.
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 12:55am
Comancheguy,

It sure sounds right to me.

There are many places where we will be outside the "service volume area" or whatever they're calling it.

I saw it on my recent trip to Tucson. In my Garmin Pilot app I was receiving "air to air" but I was not receiving anything from a ground based station.

I was in radar contact with ATC on a discrete squawk code at that time. I was in cruise flight at 11,500' MSL.

A dual band receiver would gets you air to air inbound from either 978 or 1090 Out in addition to ground based transmissions from either.

Regards, Jim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 6:54am
Tom W's post above is correct.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 11:47am

So is Comancheguy's scenario, which posited that a ground TIS-B transmitter was not in range, so only air-to-air is available.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

So is Comancheguy's scenario

We seem to get left out on the west coast being thought of as the few exceptions that may not be in range of a ground station.  It's the same when people assume you'll be in radar contact, not so much out here.  The places I can't get flight following are the places I'd like traffic in the cockpit the most.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 12:05pm
Yes, agreed.

A lot of folks like to take the multiple lines of defense approach:

1.  Keep your eyes outside looking for traffic (unless IMC).
2.  Use flight following services from ATC.
3.  Install an active traffic system.
4.  Install an ADS-B system and get repeated data when in service volume areas

There are other techniques as espoused by people on this forum and they're all good.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

So is Comancheguy's scenario, which posited that a ground TIS-B transmitter was not in range, so only air-to-air is available.

So let me get this right.  Air-to-air is not available with the single-band MLB100 - you have to be in range of a ground station.  Being out of range of a ground station is quite common in the west. 

I was on a Flying Sams trip to Mexico with a group of six planes.  A few of them could see each other which seems quite useful. With the MLB100 I would not be able to see any of them, correct?

I was getting excited about the MLB but now it sounds like it doesn't quite do it for me.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 5:54pm
Well, there is the MLB-2xx coming out. It is dual band.

* Orest

comancheguytoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 6:04pm
Thanks for replies.  I think the answer would be air to air will work with the MLB-100 only if your bogey is 978 out.

Air to air will not work between two or more equally axp-340/mlb-100 equipped aircraft because they would transmit and receive on different frequencies.

Examples of other brands:

Freeflight guys (978 out and in) can see each other
L3 Lynx guys (both out and in) see each other, and see everyone else
Garmin guys (1090 out and both in) see each other, and see everyone else, but we don't see them

I guess the point I was making was that Avidyne guys not seeing each other air to air seemed inconsistent, and I thought I might be missing something.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 7:06pm
There are only two frequencies: 978 & 1090. For air-to-air, and no ground TIS-R repeaters, to receive both, you need ability to receive both (IN) frequencies...

Hence, the Avidyne combo TAS xxxA (with 1090 IN) and MLB100 (with 978 IN) will pick up both air-to-air, and when within a ground station range (FIS-R), your AXP340 1090 Out triggers both from the ground station, so you receive both as well.   

When out in the boonies (no FIS-R), with Air-to-air, the TAS "A" receives 1090 IN and MLB100 receives 978 IN, but someone else out there will only receive your 1090 OUT (AXP340) unless they also have Dual IN receive capability.

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 18 Apr 2015 at 7:09pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 9:54pm

There are only two frequencies: 978 & 1090. For air-to-air, and no ground TIS-R repeaters, to receive both, you need ability to receive both (IN) frequencies...

Hence, the Avidyne combo TAS xxxA (with 1090 IN) and MLB100 (with 978 IN) will pick up both air-to-air, and when within a ground station range (FIS-R), your AXP340 1090 Out triggers both from the ground station, so you receive both as well.   

There are a lot of Avidyne customers who have no intention of spending the big $$$ to get a TASxxxA system.  Folks are trying to figure out what makes sense to satisfy the 2020 mandate and get the best bang-for-the-buck TIS-B out of that.

Had Avidyne had the option for a UAT-out, I would have far preferred that to the AXP340 1090ES-out that I ended up choosing.  I think a lot of us low-and-slow folks think it's foolish to have a 1090ES-out transponder, but if you need one today and don't want to go Garmin...you don't have much choice.

Edited by MysticCobra - 18 Apr 2015 at 9:55pm
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 11:45pm

When out in the boonies (no FIS-R), with Air-to-air, the TAS "A" receives 1090 IN and MLB100 receives 978 IN, but someone else out there will only receive your 1090 OUT (AXP340) unless they also have Dual IN receive capability.

Tom W.
Tom,

With the TAS-6xxA and the MLB-100, you could theoretically have the 1090 and 978 ADS-B IN bands *and* TAS for traffic that doesn't have ADS-B OUT yet.

However, as I understand it, Avidyne currently has no way to combine the TAS unit and the MLB into a single, integrated traffic picture.  You could connect the TAS unit to one display and the MLB to another, but that would (IMO) be really confusing.

The L3 and Garmin products claim to provide dual-band ADS-B and TAS all integrated into a single traffic picture that incorporates data from all three sources.

Edited by MikeK - 18 Apr 2015 at 11:45pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:22am
...as I understand it, Avidyne currently has no way to combine the TAS unit and the MLB into a single, integrated traffic picture.  You could connect the TAS unit to one display and the MLB to another, but that would (IMO) be really confusing.

The L3 and Garmin products claim to provide dual-band ADS-B and TAS all integrated into a single traffic picture that incorporates data from all three sources.
[/QUOTE]

My last rumor control indicated that the TAS6XX"A" will synchronize both interrogated X'ponder traffic with 1090 IN ADS-B and display both on the 540... I would only "assume" with the MLB100, the added 980 IN would also be synchronized to block duplicate bogies.

Maybe a comment from the Avidyne staff??

Tom W. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:23am

Is there a dual-band MLB2xx in the works?  Because right now a dual-band Stratus or a dual-band iLevil and an iPad outperforms a 540 and an MLB100. Not to mention price. I really want traffic up on the panel, but (at least for my flying in the west) it needs to capture all traffic, not just when near a ground station.

I do acknowledge certified equipment lags portables so I understand why Avidyne doesn't have it, but I hope they can show a reasonably affordable path with planned equipment or support of other equipment.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 1:43am
Originally posted by flybikeski flybikeski wrote:

Is there a dual-band MLB2xx in the works?  Because right now a dual-band Stratus or a dual-band iLevil and an iPad outperforms a 540 and an MLB100. Not to mention price. I really want traffic up on the panel, but (at least for my flying in the west) it needs to capture all traffic, not just when near a ground station.

I do acknowledge certified equipment lags portables so I understand why Avidyne doesn't have it, but I hope they can show a reasonably affordable path with planned equipment or support of other equipment.

I reread this thread and see that Steve J. did say they are planning dual-band as we get closer to the mandate.  I guess I need to be patient....

SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 10:44am

Is there a dual-band MLB2xx in the works?  Because right now a dual-band Stratus or a dual-band iLevil and an iPad outperforms a 540 and an MLB100. Not to mention price.
I really want traffic up on the panel, but (at least for my flying in the west) it needs to capture all traffic, not just when near a ground station.

There is no device made that captures all the traffic.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 12:04pm

I reread this thread and see that Steve J. did say they are planning dual-band as we get closer to the mandate.  I guess I need to be patient....

I'm not sure what the development timeline is for Avidyne's ADS-B equipment is, but I'd suggest that a dual-band IN solution be up next after the MLB100 and before the MLX200 or MLX210.  They've been driving people towards the AXP340 out solution so those who went that route have no benefit from a MXL200 or MLX210 over an "MLB200" and will be stuck waiting again if they are looking for a dual band IN solution.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 3:39pm

Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

There is no device made that captures all the traffic.

Was not looking for one of those.  However seeing more is better than seeing less.  (For me and my flying profile.  A MLB100 looks great for many folks).

Edited by flybikeski - 19 Apr 2015 at 3:55pm
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 4:35pm
Interesting Aspen Avionics website statement:

ARX200

Dual-Band In ADS-B Receiver

Certified ADS-B receiver for aircraft with a Mode S with Extended Squitter (ES) transponder and WAAS GPS installed.

Transponder: Existing Mode S + ES

GPS: Existing WAAS GPS Garmin GNS 430W, 530W, Free Flight 1201
Future compatibility with Avidyne 440/540, Bendix King KSN 770

Availability: Q3 2015

Gary-T
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 4:38pm
The ARX200 is the successor to the ARX100 -

the 100 was supposed to have been available this past summer....but, wait, it isn't.

Nor is the ARX200.

The ARX200 doesn't appear to accept the 540 as position source, not does it appear to accept the newest generation Garmin boxes.

And the hook is, if/when it comes out - it will display on the Aspen but not on the Avidyne.

The same is true - the MLBXXX will display on the Avidyne, but not the Aspen.

They were supposed to be working together, following Capstone.

Edited by ddgates - 19 Apr 2015 at 4:42pm
David Gates
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 4:51pm

I would only "assume" with the MLB100, the added 980 IN would also be synchronized to block duplicate bogies.

Maybe a comment from the Avidyne staff??

Tom W. 
I believe they have already stated (can't recall where at the moment) that it does not do this.  You can have TAS-605A traffic (with 1090-IN and TAS) or you can have MLB-100 traffic (978-IN), but you cannot merge and reconcile the two.

If you have a TAS-605A and you want to use the MLB-100 for FIS-B, you can, but you have to disable the TIS-B or send it to a different display.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:13pm
The Aspen units are rebadged Freeflight units. They will be sold at a bit of a premium, but will not require an unlock code. Freeflight's units apparently will work too, but Aspen will charge an unlock code to let them work.

* Orest
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 10:14am
Sorry for the delay in getting a response to this thread...

Right now, if you're looking for "dual band" traffic your best bet is the TAS6xxA and either the MLB100 or MLX series.

The TAS-A will incorporate ADS-B traffic, when available, with the active traffic returns. It will also give you a more tailored protection zone around the aircraft and not just the "hockey puck".

We've heard the request for dual band systems from a few different places. Just out of my curiosity, what are you trying to gain from a dual band system that a TAS system wouldn't provide?

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 10:46am
Simpson:

Not to split hairs, but if you do that TASxxxA and the MLB100, you will also need ADS-B out, e.g. the AXP 340.

David Gates
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 10:48am
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Sorry for the delay in getting a response to this thread...

Right now, if you're looking for "dual band" traffic your best bet is the TAS6xxA and either the MLB100 or MLX series.

The TAS-A will incorporate ADS-B traffic, when available, with the active traffic returns. It will also give you a more tailored protection zone around the aircraft and not just the "hockey puck".

We've heard the request for dual band systems from a few different places. Just out of my curiosity, what are you trying to gain from a dual band system that a TAS system wouldn't provide?

Affordability.

I just plain can't afford TAS and I'm sure other pilots are in the same place.

To say we should go out and get your TAS product is a little like telling a group of homeless people that the solution to their problem is that they should buy homes. Easier said than done.

Edited by flybikeski - 20 Apr 2015 at 10:52am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 10:55am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Simpson:

Not to split hairs, but if you do that TASxxxA and the MLB100, you will also need ADS-B out, e.g. the AXP 340.

David,

You're absolutely correct. I went off of the presumption that ADS-B OUT was already being solved.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 10:56am
I have TAS and love it, and it does fill in all the gaps.

BUT it is quite expensive. Although I fly a lot in the US, being based in Canada it made sense for me, we'll never have TIS-B here.

Simpson, what I think folks are asking for is to bridge the gap between 978 and 1090, when a ground ADS-R ground station is not in range.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Apr 2015 at 2:57pm
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 11:30am
"what are you trying to gain from a dual band system that a TAS system wouldn't provide?"

We are trying to find a built-in solution that gives us air-to-air (broadcast) reception of all ADS-B signals without spending the minimum of around $15k it would take to do it with your TAS/MLB100 combination.  Most of us are currently using Stratus or Garmin portable units with iPads and have that capability for well less than $2k.  I know you have an interest in selling your TAS systems but it is just not realistic for you to expect people to follow that route.  For that matter, I believe there really is no future for TAS systems.  I would really like to see you come out with a dual frequency ADS-B receiver to interface to my IFD540/AXP340/EX600 avionics stack.  Until you do, I will continue to rely on my Stratus/iPad combination.

Edited by jblodgett - 20 Apr 2015 at 11:31am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 11:36am

Affordability.

I just plain can't afford TAS and I'm sure other pilots are in the same place.

To say we should go out and get your TAS product is a little like telling a group of homeless people that the solution to their problem is that they should buy homes. Easier said than done.

Got it. I just wanted to know if it was an issue of feature sets or not.

You're right a TAS isn't going to be for everyone and we know that. My point was that if you are going to be doing a lot of flying in an area that doesn't have nearby ground stations or has aircraft that don't need to participate in the ADS-B world, your best bet for supplementing your "see and avoid" is a TAS. 

Just a FYI, the MLX210 list price is $4,995 and the MLX200 list price is $3,495. 

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by jblodgett jblodgett wrote:

We are trying to find a built-in solution that gives us air-to-air (broadcast) reception of all ADS-B signals without spending the minimum of around $15k it would take to do it with your TAS/MLB100 combination.  Most of us are currently using Stratus or Garmin portable units with iPads and have that capability for well less than $2k.  I know you have an interest in selling your TAS systems but it is just not realistic for you to expect people to follow that route.  For that matter, I believe there really is no future for TAS systems.  I would really like to see you come out with a dual frequency ADS-B receiver to interface to my IFD540/AXP340/EX600 avionics stack.  Until you do, I will continue to rely on my Stratus/iPad combination.

Unfortunately, we will never compete on a price level with a stratus/Foreflight configuration in a panel mount solution.

Originally posted by jblodgett jblodgett wrote:

For that matter, I believe there really is no future for TAS systems.
I use to share a similar opinion about TAS and TCAS. With ADS-B coming, why invest 10k in a TAS system (starting TAS-A list price is $10,990)? The answer might be simple if you are operating out of medium to reliever sized airports that have ADS-B coverage down low. What if you are flying into a smaller field, 
perhaps outside of the area that is required to participate in ADS-B and the predominant aircraft just have a Mode A/C transponder? What if the closest ground station is miles away and doesn't give you adequate coverage at traffic pattern altitude where the majority of mid-air's (Fabrice Kunzi & R. John Hansman MIT) occur? That's where having an independent (to the ADS-B network) TAS would make the difference in seeing an aircraft and possibly not. 

While you are right, that a dual band transceiver might solve some of these issues and possibly at a lower cost (L3 Lynx MSRP ranges from 10k to 15k and Aspen AXR200 $4-5k) than a TAS setup, it might not give you the full traffic picture.

It's definitely something that I will bring up to the team as another line of the MLX series. Though it probably won't be at a Stratus/Foreflight price.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 1:24pm
Thank you for your response.  I do not expect that any certified installed solution be similar in price point to the Stratus/iPad solution but it needs to be far less than your TAS/MLB solution.  I believe there are vanishingly small advantages to the TAS approach that do not justify its cost.  Not for me at any rate.

Added comment:  Your MLB100 costs $2495.  That seems reasonable given all the ridiculous hoops the FAA makes you jump through.   But why should a dual frequency version cost much more than that? 

Edited by jblodgett - 20 Apr 2015 at 1:37pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 1:31pm

AviSimpson,

I don't think anyone on this forum expects Stratus pricing on certified equipment, so no worries there. I think it will be pretty clear in the market (FreeFlight, Aspen, etc.) what certified dual-band ADS-B receivers should be priced at.  I think the point is your customers want one.  Maybe more so than the MLX2xx products.  But I'm just guessing at that...

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 1:37pm
I think he is right.

What we would really like, though, is a device which talks across platforms, i.e., Avidyne MFD and Aspen MFD.

Aspen and Avidyne collaborated on the driver software for the DFC-90, why not align so that each company's ADS-B box displays on the other company's MFD?

Can it really be that hard?

Edited by ddgates - 20 Apr 2015 at 1:38pm
David Gates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 2:55pm
I don't think what's being asked for is outrageous. I'll do some research our end so we can see what it would take to get it added to a platform like the MLB/MLX series.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic