Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New MLB100 978 MHz ADS-B In Receiver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Not sure how much time delay this glitch introduces for the MLB100 Traffic display capability.

My 540 is in the shop for install next week.  Since my Comanche will not likely fly above 18,000 mL, I am now considering 980Mhz ADS-B Compliance (with current GTX330 instead of 1090 Mhz with AXP340) using instead, the Aspen ATX100(G).

Does anyone out there know if the Aspen ADS-B Transceivers will be play with Avidyne:
   . Synchronize with TAS605 (A) for combined Traffic on 540?
   . Display both Traffic & Wx on the 540? 

Thanks for any experience or advice.

Tom W. 

you better ask aspen if they planning on pursuing an STC using the configuration you are thinking about?  if not, come 2020 you not be compliant with the mandate. 

Edited by tony - 02 May 2015 at 2:06pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 4:07pm
Aspen ATX100 (G) is already STC'd, using its internal GPS as WAAS position source.

Edited by n7ifr - 02 May 2015 at 4:09pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 4:24pm
Thanks David.

Well, with only a single 540, I am obsessing still about displaying NACO plate on Aspen MFD vs Jepp on the 540...

I am also waiting for the "A" TAS upgrade to synchronize the active targets with ADS-B.  But flying out in the "boonies", still need something to receive 980 IN in the absence of ADSB-R, hence the MLB100 (or other combo).  

I had no idea Aspen is wanting to charge for "unlock" card for outside ADS-B box like MLB100 to play on their toys!  

As an alternative to 1090 compliance, I am considering 980 compliance (I stay below 18,000msl), but I am unsure if the Aspen ATX100(G) will play on the Avidyne 540 for both traffic and Wx (graphical & Text).  Assuming Avidyne isn't also charging for an "Unlock" using Aspen box...

Tom W.

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 4:38pm
Tom:

Could be a faulty assumption.

/RANT - these guys should be working together to make equipment interoperable.  That's what Capstone was for.  They are not.  Aspen will charge you a 2K unlock to use non Aspen input.  Avidyne isn't coded AFAIK to accept non-MLB input.

So that's the reality of the world in which we fly.

/RANT
IMO, if you have a 540, then the simplest path forward is an ATX340 and an MLB100.  Guaranteed to play together, and gets you all you need for 2020.

Having an "A" upgradable traffic system is a bonus - I have the same.

The Jepp plates are far superior to NACO plates, and just as a suggestion, if you do the Jepp plates as a part of the package you get Jepp's iPad app Jepp FD.  That is IMO the best place to look at plates.

The synergy I see is:
Get the 540's Jepp plates AND the iPad app
Ultimately expect the 540 to work with some iPad app(s) through the 540 Wifi, hopefully for data and felt plan transfer (I would expect Avidyne is working with Jepp - they aren't telling)
Let your Aspen plate subscription go - (I have them but don't find manipulating the field of view on the plate during an approach very simple)

When you fly an approach, you can put the plate up on the 540 if you aren't carrying your iPad, but if you want traffic displayed during the approach, just look at the plate on the iPad.

Best.

David

Edited by ddgates - 02 May 2015 at 4:40pm
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 8:21pm
David,
Thanks for your input.  When my MX20 ChartView was active, I also had the iPad Jepp App, which is a good display of their plates for review.

However, currently on my iPad, I use ForeFlight which has advanced well beyond the Jepp App with geo-referenced plates (NACO), etc.  but, I agree the Aspen MFD NACO plate review is a bit cumbersome, despite showing more info on the leg altitudes.

So, with the 540 Map/FMS pages with altitudes, I will revisit the 540 Jepp plate option - and play more on the iPad 540 App while I wait for the install.

I agree with your synicism about Aspen/Avidyne possibly needing further financial gains for working out synergies among avionics.  We will wait and see.

Tom W.    

sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 9:27am
Any ship date yet?
Suskej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suskej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 8:16pm
Have had the MLB100 on order for about a month now when is the MLB100 shipping to end users. My dealer says he cannot get a answer out of Avidyne.  Any thoughts ?
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 1:07am
Good News:  Some MLB's have shipped.  Mine was installed 2-days ago.
Bad News:  Without the 540 update v10.1, the MLB won't work - no traffic or weather!!

So, TAS still working, but MLB dead in the water until 10.1 - ugh!

Tom Wolf

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 8:16am

Tom,

Do you know what the input port data selection should be for the MLB100?  I assume it is a choice that is not found in software 10.0.3?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 10:05am
That's correct. 10.1 adds a new 232 port selection called, "MLB100 Wx".
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 8:45pm

Jake,

Do you know if selecting "MLB100 Wx" on the input port forces that port's output to also be "MLB100 Wx"?

I thought the MLB/MLX series was going to use the ADSB(Avi) output?

David

scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 2:47am
I am planning a 540/440/340/MLB100 install next month. I currently have a GDL69 and I was told today by my shop that the GDL69 with the Pro subscription will deliver more information such as TFRs and higher resolution nexrad than the free wx info than you get with the MLB100. Is that true? I was also told that I could keep the GDL69 and display weather from that but get traffic from the MLB100. Anyone know if it is possible to split the source of weather and traffic like that?
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 5:33am
It is true that the NEXRAD weather display from the paid for subscription services like XM and SIRIUS has better resolution than the FIS-B weather from ADS-B. This is particularly true when you look at weather beyond 250 miles where the FIS-B switches to a more corse resolution. Depending on your level of paid subscription you may see additional products with FIS-B, but even the least expensive XM and SIRIUS have TFR information.

You cannot split products for display on the IFD540, but if you have two devices, you can put the paid subscription on one unit and FIS-B on the other.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 6:22am
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

I am planning a 540/440/340/MLB100 install next month. I currently have a GDL69 and I was told today by my shop that the GDL69 with the Pro subscription will deliver more information such as TFRs and higher resolution nexrad than the free wx info than you get with the MLB100. Is that true? I was also told that I could keep the GDL69 and display weather from that but get traffic from the MLB100. Anyone know if it is possible to split the source of weather and traffic like that?

The list of weather products supported can be found here:  http://www.avidyne.com/products/ifd540/ifd-weather.asp and then compare that to the table of supported MLB100 products in the pilot guide on page 3-27.  (BTW, I'll update the webpage comparison to add MLB100 shortly)

And here are some relevant snippets from the pilot guide:

NOTE
ADS-B US Weather Radar Data is Coarse

When compared to subscription Datalink service
data and even ADS-B Regional data, the CONUS
weather radar data appears as a noticeably coarser
depiction – this is a function of the supplied data.

NOTE
Weather Source Selection

An individual IFD can only display ADS-B (e.g.
“MLB100”) or Sirius/XM (e.g. “GDL-69”, “MLB700”,
etc) weather at any given time. The choice to select
the source is made at time of installation in the
setup pages.

TIPS AND TECHNIQUES
Weather Overlays in Dual IFD Operations

For those installations with dual IFDs and more than
one type of weather source (e.g. GDL-69 and a
MLB100) in the aircraft, Avidyne recommends wiring
one weather source to one IFD and the other
weather source to the second IFD

TIPS AND TECHNIQUES
Weather Overlays in Single IFD Operations

For those installations with a single IFD and more
than one type of weather source (e.g. GDL-69 and a
MLB100) in the aircraft, Avidyne recommends wiring
both weather sources to the IFD so that the higher
priority weather overlay can display on the IFD and
the lower priority weather data can be streamed out
of the IFD via WiFi for display on a compatible
tablet/wireless device application.
The current display priority is GDL-69, MLB700,
AV300/350, MLB100.

NOTE  Dissimilar Weather & Traffic Source Data Not  Shared

Dissimilar weather data sources (e.g. GDL-69 data
on one IFD and MLB100 data on the other IFD) will
not be shared between IFDs. Each IFD will display
its own weather data in this case.
Likewise, dissimilar traffic data sources (e.g.
TAS600 data on one IFD and MLB100 data on the
other IFD) will not be shared between IFDs. Each
IFD will display its own traffic data in this case.

NOTE
Traffic Source Selection

An individual IFD can only display ADS-B (e.g.
“MLB100”) or sensor traffic (e.g. “TAS600”,
“Skywatch”, etc) traffic at any given time. The choice
to select the source is made at time of installation in
the setup pages.

TIPS AND TECHNIQUES
Traffic Overlays in Dual IFD Operations

For those installations with dual IFDs and more than
one type of traffic source (e.g. “TAS600” and an
ADS-B “MLB100”) in the aircraft, Avidyne
recommends wiring one traffic source to one IFD
and the other traffic source to the second IFD

TIPS AND TECHNIQUES
Traffic Overlays in Single IFD Operations

than one type of traffic source (e.g. “TAS600” and
an ADS-B “MLB100”) in the aircraft, Avidyne
recommends wiring both traffic sources to the IFD
so that the higher priority traffic overlay can display
on the IFD and the lower priority traffic data can be
streamed out of the IFD via WiFi for display on a
compatible tablet/wireless device application.
The current display priority is TAS6XX/TCAD,
Skywatch, Other ARINC429 Traffic sensor,
MLB100.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 8:55am
I think Scott's question wasn't covered in the above. If I read him correctly, he wants to send GDL-69 weather AND the traffic only portion of the MLB100 output to the same IFD.

It was my impression that that was supported. Yes, No?

* Orest

roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 9:39am
Orest,

Yes, that's how mine is pre-wired.  MLB700 Wx to top box, MLB100 Wx to bottom.  MLB100 traffic will go to both.

MLB100 traffic runs on A429. A429 data does not go across the crossfeed channel so if there are two boxes both will need to have that A429 input wired up to both units for both to display traffic.  Its been almost 6mo since I had all this work done so maybe I'm forgetting something else.

Wx on RS232 for MLB700 and MLB100.  I also assumed I could disable the RS232 port in Mx Mode and have the opposite box crossfeed Weather w/o rewiring anything.

Steve, is there an updated or finalized install manual for the MBL100?
Also correct me if I misspoke above.

Edited by roltman - 24 Jun 2015 at 9:43am
scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 10:19am
Thanks everyone for the replies. Orest has it correct. I want to send GDL-69 WX data to either one or both IFDs. I want to send only MLB traffic to either one or both IFDs. If I read Roltman's post correctly, that is possible. I wonder if someone from Avidyne can confirm that.
scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 10:37am
Let me clarify one thing. My preference would be to have GDL wx on the IFD 540 and MLB traffic also on the IFD 540. The 440 would have neither. But that is just a preference, I am open to other configurations.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 3:48pm

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

TIPS AND TECHNIQUES
Traffic Overlays in Single IFD Operations

than one type of traffic source (e.g. “TAS600” and
an ADS-B “MLB100”) in the aircraft, Avidyne
recommends wiring both traffic sources to the IFD
so that the higher priority traffic overlay can display
on the IFD and the lower priority traffic data can be
streamed out of the IFD via WiFi for display on a
compatible tablet/wireless device application.
The current display priority is TAS6XX/TCAD,
Skywatch, Other ARINC429 Traffic sensor,
MLB100.

Jake,

Distinguishing the MLB100 from "other 429 traffic" seems to imply that the IFD is capable of processing traffic data from the MLB100 in a format other than ARINC429 (in other words over serial data).  Is that true?  I hope so because that's how I pre-wired my airplane, and I am in the process of redoing my installation just to add a 429 databus.  I won't do that if I don't have to.

I pre-wired for MLB-to-IFD on serial port #2.  If I will get traffic and weather from pin 59, that would make me very happy.

David

TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 2:16pm
Any timeline for MLB100 ADS-B traffic support?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 5:40pm
The 540 will accept traffic on 232 and 429. Had a choice when I installed my TAS605. 429 is preferred.

* Orest
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 6:24pm
So, with both wired as you describe, with the TAS605 wired to 540 on ARINC429, and MLB wired to RS232:

Will an ADS-B target beyond the range of the TAS interrogation, and picked up by FIS-B on the MLB, still display on the 540 (lower MLB priority) as an ADS-B target?

Tom W.  
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 7:30pm
Believe only one datastream will be accepted, at a time, the other will be completely ignored.

The TAS6XXA units will internally blend ADS-B/R input together with mode C, both received on 1090, and output a coherent picture.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 30 Jul 2015 at 7:31pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2015 at 9:01pm
Yes, looking forward to the "A" upgrade... best of both worlds, especially with MLB & TAS"A" each also capable of receiving Air-to-Air ADS-B on 980 & 1090 respectively.

Tom W.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 2:24pm

As I understand it, the IFD currently (at version 10.1) does not process traffic from the MLB100 over the RS232 data bus.   I don't have mine wired that way.

It does process the weather data from the MLB100 over the RS232 feed.

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 2:43pm
Waiting for the IFD540 Traffic Display, I have the MLB100 traffic (RS232) displaying on Aspen MFD. Once 540 legally able, and TAS"A" updated, will display TAS & ADSB on 540.

Tom W.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2015 at 6:22pm
I thought the MLB100 sent traffic over A429 not RS232.  That's why I had to pre-wire the A429 line to both units as A429 won't transmit over the cross-sync cable.

My MLB100 is sitting the back seat ready to be installed, so I'll know soon enough.

Edited by roltman - 31 Jul 2015 at 6:27pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 6:08pm
Steve,

MLB100 Weather Information seems a bit limited.  I only receive METAR and TAF, but no Sigmets, Winds Aloft, Lightning, etc.

ForeFlight ADS-B Wx is subscribed to many more weather products.

Can we expect more Wx products on the MLB/IFD540 subscription?

Thanks.

Tom Wolf

Edited by n7ifr - 03 Aug 2015 at 6:09pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 10:38am
Traffic is sent from MLB100 via 429 and can be split to send to 2 IFDs.  Traffic is not passed on the x-sync bus.

Weather is sent from MLB100 via RS232 and IS shared by the x-sync so only one IFD needs to be wired for weather.

Info is provisional and from my shop based on their pre-wiring for my (future) MLB100.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 11:31am
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

Traffic is sent from MLB100 via 429 and can be split to send to 2 IFDs.  Traffic is not passed on the x-sync bus.

Weather is sent from MLB100 via RS232 and IS shared by the x-sync so only one IFD needs to be wired for weather.

Info is provisional and from my shop based on their pre-wiring for my (future) MLB100.

Thanks, TogaDriver.  That's the same information I had, just wondering if someone has the final MLB100 IM to compare against what I was given back in January when I was wired up (Simpson?). I couldn't find it online and got tired of trying to guess URLs for where it could be.

I'm really just trying to plan an appropriate amount of down time to take the plane to the avionics shop.

I envy everyone who has a descent avionics shop within 100nm.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2015 at 11:51am
My avionics shop is right at my home field, and so is Aircraft Spruce. Yes, I'm very lucky.

* Orest

Dlesh123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlesh123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 7:27pm
Is there a plan to include TFR information via the MLB-100 to the IFD540?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 7:36pm
Yes, the next weather products from the MLB100 that we are adding to the IFD540 are:

1. Winds Aloft
2. Temps Aloft
3. TFRs
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Dlesh123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlesh123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 8:30pm
Good to hear,thanks.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:58pm
Okay, the following items are coming:
1. Winds Aloft
2. Temps Aloft
3. TFRs
That's good.

What about the remaining items:
1. PIREPS
2. NOTAMS
3. SUA status
Will these ever be decoded and presented on the IFD-540??

Oh, yeah, what's the latest on the traffic?

bellanca1730a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 11:04am
Steve or Simpson,

Any update on priority for a dual-band variety of the MLB100? I am in the shop, and we're going ahead with prewiring and even installing an antenna, but still leaving an "empty seat" for the box until a dual-band variety is available.

Thanks much,
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by bellanca1730a bellanca1730a wrote:

Steve or Simpson,

Any update on priority for a dual-band variety of the MLB100? I am in the shop, and we're going ahead with prewiring and even installing an antenna, but still leaving an "empty seat" for the box until a dual-band variety is available.

Thanks much,

No news to report on a dual band receiver.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
bellanca1730a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 12:41pm
What if I organize a lunch delivery? Ha!
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 1:06pm
How about news for just the plain-old ADS-B traffic support for MLB100 in IFDs???  I've heard there are some dot releases coming - are any of these going to add the support?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 3:17pm

How about news for just the plain-old ADS-B traffic support for MLB100 in IFDs???  I've heard there are some dot releases coming - are any of these going to add the support?

I'm going to defer this one to Jake. He's out of the country for the rest of the week but he'll post an update on this topic next week.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 6:13pm
I don't think its fair to try and pin Steve down right now with the uncertainty of the FAA reauthorization bill. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 3:57pm

As I understand it, there is a pending software 10.1.1.0 which does not include the traffic interface, and there is a pending 10.2 software that does include the traffic interface, but so far (wisely) no dates have been posted for either of those.

It would be reasonable to expect that in the grand scheme of things, 10.1.1.0 will happen relatively quickly and 10.2 will happen relatively slowly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 8:17pm
FAA Re-auth should have nothing to do with the planning process of a company's dot releases.  My question is perfectly fair:  I want to know in which release they plan to include ADS-B traffic since it is an important feature that I lost when I was forced to swap out my Garmin transponder for an Avidyne transponder.

I did not ask for an exact date as I realize that is, in part, up to the FAA's response time.  But, it is perfectly reasonable to try and pin down in what release a major feature (ads-b traffic) will be supported.  Frankly, knowing the plan is good business as it sets expectations reasonably and will actually REDUCE the amount of these posts since we'll wait for the named release and only complain if Avidyne fails to meet their plan.  Not revealing a plan at all leads to fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 8:36pm
Then you have no idea the crap the ACO has you do to put out a release in the name of public safety,  If the ACO isn't working, then they cant look at your artifacts. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 8:41pm
You totally lost me on that one, Tony.

I've shipped many products, but none through the FAA process. I know its a mess so I'm not asking for a date.

All I'm asking is if ADS-B traffic out has been assigned to a dot release of some sort and, if so, which one.  It's called setting expectations and is good business practice.

And thanks, David, for the update on 10.2 possibly having it.  Is that info direct from Avidyne on a different thread I missed?

Edited by TogaDriver - 23 Sep 2015 at 9:04pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2015 at 11:28pm

You totally lost me on that one, Tony.

I've shipped many products, but none through the FAA process. I know its a mess so I'm not asking for a date.

All I'm asking is if ADS-B traffic out has been assigned to a dot release of some sort and, if so, which one.  It's called setting expectations and is good business practice.

And thanks, David, for the update on 10.2 possibly having it.  Is that info direct from Avidyne on a different thread I missed?

ADS-B traffic was to appear in 10.1. There was an unexpected snag generated by a different interpretation by the FAA of some design elements. If ADS-B traffic were included in 10.1, 10.1 would still not be out. So it was pulled from 10.1, to get it out the door.

Thsi feature, and/or other features may suffer the same fate in future, hence Avidyne is rightly shy about including a list until the release is pretty much done, at least that is my guess.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2015 at 9:02am
Jake knows what the plan is and will post as such on Monday when he gets back in the country.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 9:41am

Reading highlighted changes in the posted draft Pilots guide it makes very clear ADS-B approved MLB100 traffic will not be 10.1.1.0.

Edited by roltman - 25 Sep 2015 at 9:42am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 7:53pm

Quote And thanks, David, for the update on 10.2 possibly having it.  Is that info direct from Avidyne on a different thread I missed?

I think I read it (or read it between the lines) somewhere on this forum.  It would have come from one of the AviFolk here, so not sure if that's what you mean by "direct from Avidyne" or not.

David Bunin

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by roltman roltman wrote:

Reading highlighted changes in the posted draft Pilots guide it makes very clear ADS-B approved MLB100 traffic will not be 10.1.1.0.

Happily that is not the case.    I've been holding off posting in this thread as we were actively working something behind the scenes as described in this thread:

(As a side note, that kind of thing is ALWAYS going on behind the scenes and this time, it seems to have worked out well for all of us which doesn't often happen.)
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic