Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New MLB100 978 MHz ADS-B In Receiver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 3:02pm
Simpson:

Appreciate that.  What would be the bomb is - buy one ADS-B device - say the MLB100.

Display TRFC and WX on:

• IFD540
  • Aspen MFD
  • iPad by BT or WiFi
That is what Capstone was supposed to accomplish; single format for interconnectivity.

In that mode, user buys one box, not 2 or 3, to do the job.

Edited by ddgates - 20 Apr 2015 at 3:03pm
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by jblodgett jblodgett wrote:

For that matter, I believe there really is no future for TAS systems.

J,

I think you may be off on that as a general statement. Do remember, there is a world outside of the CONUS (the only place you will see TIS-B), and for that matter in many places/altitudes in the US there is no ADS-R reception.

However, certainly for your personal circumstances that may well be true.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Apr 2015 at 3:11pm
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Simpson:

Appreciate that.  What would be the bomb is - buy one ADS-B device - say the MLB100.

Display TRFC and WX on:

• IFD540
  • Aspen MFD
  • iPad by BT or WiFi
We could knock out 2 of those 3 at least in house and I think some day in the near future we will. We of course made it clear what the BT is for with the keyboard announcement. The WiFi unlock in the near future could answer your last point.

That is what Capstone was supposed to accomplish; single format for interconnectivity

In the ideal world, Capstone was suppose to be that. Unfortunately, like Jake has mentioned in the past, everyone has their own flavor of the Capstone protocol. 

comancheguytoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 7:00pm
Yea, thanks Simpson.  I doubt serious people expect everything all at once for the portable price.

Even TAS doesn't catch a non-transponder Champ or Cub, either currently or after 2020, so trying to make every bad guy a blip isn't realistic.  (unless you're driving an AWACS)

My point was only that talking strictly ADS-B air-to-air, the 1090out / 978in dilemma seemed somewhat inconsistent with other market options.  Just wanted to make sure I was reading correctly that the MLB would only support 978.

As a new 540/340 owner I'm keenly interested in completing my Avidyne ADS-B package.  If you think the dual frequency IN option could come in the future, please let us know.  Thanks for the response.

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 11:43pm

We are trying to find a built-in solution that gives us air-to-air (broadcast) reception of all ADS-B signals without spending the minimum of around $15k it would take to do it with your TAS/MLB100 combination.  Most of us are currently using Stratus or Garmin portable units with iPads and have that capability for well less than $2k.  I know you have an interest in selling your TAS systems but it is just not realistic for you to expect people to follow that route.  For that matter, I believe there really is no future for TAS systems.  I would really like to see you come out with a dual frequency ADS-B receiver to interface to my IFD540/AXP340/EX600 avionics stack.  Until you do, I will continue to rely on my Stratus/iPad combination.

Yes

Originally posted by flybikeski flybikeski wrote:

AviSimpson,

I don't think anyone on this forum expects Stratus pricing on certified equipment, so no worries there. I think it will be pretty clear in the market (FreeFlight, Aspen, etc.) what certified dual-band ADS-B receivers should be priced at.  I think the point is your customers want one.  Maybe more so than the MLX2xx products.  But I'm just guessing at that...

Exactly, people that go the AXP340 route don't care about the ADS-B transmitter part, I believe that it would be in Avidyne's best interest to concentrate on the mlB2xx over any mlX2xx due to this.

Unless I'm misunderstanding part of the ADS-B coverage...  I believe that eventually, maybe not right at 2020, but most airplanes are going to upgrade to ADS-B out.  Right now most airplanes have mode C although they don't need it.  Sure we won't get EVERYBODY, but I don't think it's as grim as people think.

The cost benefit simply isn't there for a TAS unit.  I'd prefer to go with an integrated dual IN Avidyne system, but if it's late in the development line, I'll find another unit.  No sense in going ADS-B blind while I'm out compliant.

Edit:  It looks like I'm getting my naming scheme wrong.  I was trying to imply that the X mean transceiver, B meant receiver, 1 meant single band in, and 2 meant dual band in, but I see that all the products are currently single band in.  Since they are all single band, I suggest looking at the customer base to see if the interest is truly single band in over dual band in.  Maybe it's just because I'm out west, but this seems to be backwards compared to what I'm hearing.

Edited by brou0040 - 21 Apr 2015 at 9:17am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 9:30am

Dual band boxes are certainly on our roadmap however, it won't be something that is completed soon.  The dual frequency ADS-B IN box should be considered an excellent option when they exist but they are, unfortunately, not an active program at this time.

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 9:49am
Simpson,

Dual band receivers (such as my GDL 39; these now sell new for $700) allows me to receive air to air traffic broadcast from any aircraft with ADS-B Out (978 or 1090 ES).

I noticed on my recent Tucson trip that there are times, even at 12,500', where I am out of range of a ground station, therefore I get no traffic info. from ATC even though I am talking to them on flight following and I am on an assigned squawk code in radar contact. Radar does not equal ADS-B Broadcast capability.

In those times a dual band receiver is valuable as I will get traffic info. from all ADS-B Out equipped aircraft.

Right now I would guess that most aircraft with ADS-B Out are using 1090 ES (like the Garmin 330 and AXP 340).

We would miss all that traffic.

Yes, Avidyne's active traffic system is a solution, but it's roughly $15k installed.

If Garmin can build and sell a GDL 39 for $700 with dual band in Avidyne should be able to get it done, with the ability to interface to panel displays (IFD 540) for under $3k.

Regards, Jim
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 9:54am
Jim:

Your reasoning is compelling; I've thought the same thing.  My GDL 39 has dual frequency as do they all.

I don't understand why all these vendors (Avidyne, Aspen, etc) are having such time bringing rebranded products to market.  

Next time you are in Tucson, look me up. 

And BTW I did far better than $15K on my TAS.  Just saying...

I think the active setup is valuable.  Even on the ground.

Edited by ddgates - 21 Apr 2015 at 9:58am
David Gates
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 10:44am
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Dual band boxes are certainly on our roadmap however, it won't be something that is completed soon.  The dual frequency ADS-B IN box should be considered an excellent option when they exist but they are, unfortunately, not an active program at this time.

Thank you for the reply.  I think there is enough evidence on this thread that you can't check the "ADS-B In" box until you have dual-band. I suppose there is a thread over in the 340 thread demanding a remote transponder but that seems more a feature than a basic function. 

You've left a hole in your product line so I sincerely hope you'll work with other mfgs to allow them to provide dual-band solutions to the 540 in the meantime.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 11:46am
Thank you, everyone, for your feedback on what you're looking for in an ADS-B IN "all-in-one" box.

I respectfully disagree that there is any hole in our product line. If there is great concern about being outside of the coverage area to receive the air to air 1090 from a 978 rebroadcast, we offer the TAS-A. Not only are you going to see Mode A/C/S transponders but you will receive the extremely accurate position from ADS-B if it is available. 

Things may evolve out of the "ML" series of ADS-B IN boxes in the future.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 12:55pm

And BTW I did far better than $15K on my TAS.  Just saying...
Hi David,

I agree that it's very valuable and a great product, but I don't have a suitable display for one either (unless it can display on the IFD 540). I'm not sure where I would see the traffic info.

My WAG of an installed out the door cost may be too high, but if I had something north of $10k for avionics today I'd probably want an Aspen PFD 1000 Pro.

Regards, Jim
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 1:06pm
Yes, of course TAS6xx traffic it will display on a 540, it will also display on an ASPEN, G500, and indeed any PFD or MFD.

It is in standard industry traffic data format, available on both a rs232 and 429 data line. It does not suffer from the TIS-B fragmented standards.

Further, with the upcoming free "A" upgrades, 1090 TIS-B will be blended in, not that important, but it will extend sensitivity and accuracy a bit and add some more data tag fields.

One additional benefit to the TAS6xx units.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 21 Apr 2015 at 1:10pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Yes, of course TAS6xx traffic it will display on a 540, it will also display on an ASPEN, G500, and indeed any PFD or MFD.

It is in standard industry traffic data format, available on both a rs232 and 429 data line. It does not suffer from the TIS-B fragmented standards.

One additional benefit to the TAS6xx units.

* Orest

+1

That's exactly right.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 2:10pm

That's nice, but it's still a "high end" solution.

I'm looking for something more budget oriented. I just spent my "high end" money on a 540 and a 340.

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 3:23pm
Jim:
 They are going to get your money one way or another!

Yes, the TAS XXXA displays on the 540.

If it were my birthday, and I had a nickel burning a hole in my pocket, I would first do a PFD.  But with the 540, even though I already have one, I would not do an MFD.  I'd do the TAS next (I already did).

But I'd really like a DFC90...............

David
David Gates
bellanca1730a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 4:15pm
Simpson,

While I had been planning to install an MLB-100, I am now planning to wait for a dual-in box, given the limitations of the MLB-100 recently discussed here. My vote is for a higher priority to the dual-in box.

I do appreciate the company's interest in our feedback.

Respectfully,
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 4:15pm
Dave,
I assume you love your 540.  I am about to have mine installed soon.
Where do you display Approach Plates? - on your 540, iPad, if not Aspen MFD?

Tom W.
DVT
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 4:23pm
Tom:

I like Jepp plates.  The plates on the 540 are Jepp.  With that, I also have Jepp's FD iPad app - so I can see plates on the 540 and on the iPad.

I plan to let my Aspen plate subscription expire when it runs out.

David
David Gates
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 4:35pm

Do you have plans to display traffic or weather on the 540 via a non-Avidyne dual-band solution?  The 540 was touted to be able to display data from other sources (capstone).  I was disappointed when Avidyne didn't sign up to allow the 540 to be used as a WAAS source for other companies products (I thought it should have been due to the touted common protocols).  Now the only path to dual band is via TAS$$$.

I really hope Avidyne decides to support everybody's capstone instead of playing the ours/theirs game because I signed up for a unit that was going to be able to display traffic without having to invest in TAS$$$.

Edited by brou0040 - 21 Apr 2015 at 9:02pm
comancheguytoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 6:34pm
+1 for Bellanca guy Simpson.

I had committed to purchasing an MLB-100 with Pacific Coast, but I've just canceled my pre-order.  Since 540/340 owners represent the relatively narrow market for the MLB-100 in the majority, that may become a theme.

Displaying TIS/FIS on the 540 would have been redundant, but I was willing to spend the money to get the TIS part as an extra feature on my 540.

If, however, my iPad with a portable solution sees stuff the 540 in a certified form won't, kind of seems pointless to purchase the MLB.  May only be consumer perception, but judging from the forum responses, I suspect others feel that way as well.

Again, thanks for the clarification and responses.  Just want to participate as an investor in Avidyne equipment.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Dave,
I assume you love your 540.  I am about to have mine installed soon.
Where do you display Approach Plates? - on your 540, iPad, if not Aspen MFD?

Tom W.
DVT

I too would add, that I love my 540.

for me, three places for charts. I use the Jepp android app to display charts on my Tab S, that kind of replaces my old "paper" chart. I will select the chart on my 796 (gizmo mount in the co-pilot stack), and then I always select the expected approach in the 540. That switches it to airport view when you land.

The 796 & 540 both georeference, and the 540 even draws the flightplan over the chart.

* Orest

SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 9:46am
Hi David,

Yes, the next big avionics item for me is (probably) an Aspen PFD 1000 Pro to drive my Century III autopilot.

After that I'll save up for a DFC 90 as my trusty C-III won't last forever.

In that hierarchy the active traffic system is a distant 3rd. Still, I'd really enjoy having one as that will provide the most traffic info. (although still not all traffic).

But if I can pick up a dual band receiver and get it installed reasonably that would be worth having.

Regards, Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 11:21am
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Do you have plans to display traffic or weather on the 540 via a non-Avidyne dual-band solution?

I haven't heard any mention on partnerships on this front. We've worked with other vendors in the past regarding connectivity with their products on other projects.

The 540 was touted to be able to display data from other sources (capstone).  I was disappointed when Avidyne didn't sign up to allow the 540 to be used as a WAAS source for other companies products (I thought it should have been due to the touted common protocols).  Now the only path to dual band is via TAS$$$.

I really hope Avidyne decides to support everybody's capstone instead of playing the ours/theirs game because I signed up for a unit that was going to be able to display traffic without having to invest in TAS$$$.

Yes, like previously posted by Jake, we do support the Capstone protocol however, each vendor has their own "flavor" or interpretation of it. This makes it impossible to have one protocol that covers it all.

I was disappointed when Avidyne didn't sign up to allow the 540 to be used as a WAAS source for other companies products (I thought it should have been due to the touted common protocols).

Each pairing of a GPS WAAS source and transponder/transceiver needs an AML STC per the FAA. I'm unaware of any other vendor that has reached out asking to use the IFD540/440 as a position source for their transponder/transceiver. 

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 6:21pm

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback on what you're looking for in an ADS-B IN "all-in-one" box.

I respectfully disagree that there is any hole in our product line. If there is great concern about being outside of the coverage area to receive the air to air 1090 from a 978 rebroadcast, we offer the TAS-A. Not only are you going to see Mode A/C/S transponders but you will receive the extremely accurate position from ADS-B if it is available. 

Things may evolve out of the "ML" series of ADS-B IN boxes in the future.

Simpson, you're missing the point.  Your product line may be "complete", in that it technically covers what folks are asking for, but the TAS systems is not priced competitively for the recreational pilot with a $30-50K plane.

TAS is a fantastic product.  It's just not what Joe Sixpack is going to be able to afford, so it might as well not exist for those potential customers.  In that sense, your product line has a hole in it.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 9:02pm

Each pairing of a GPS WAAS source and transponder/transceiver needs an AML STC per the FAA. I'm unaware of any other vendor that has reached out asking to use the IFD540/440 as a position source for their transponder/transceiver. 

My understanding is that all Avidyne needs to do is to output their GPS position in the standard GNSS protocol.  I believe that is ARINC743A, which is supported by Wikipedia ("ARINC 743A defines a GNSS receiver") so there should be no mysterious proprietary protocols here.  This would allow compatibility with the NavWorx ADS600-B.

I guess I messed up by not fully understanding everything prior to pulling the trigger.  I purchased the AXP340 to try to go the Avidyne ADS-B route which I'm now seeing I should not have done.  I'm disappointed about how Avidyne touted connectivity and how they don't play the proprietary game, yet they won't do things like output a standard GPS protocol or participate in a combo STC.  In the end those are good words, but the story is the same as the other guy.  Either I have to pay for a second WAAS GPS or go with an Avidyne solution - I feel like I was duped into thinking the 540 would be compatible with other solutions.  Since Avidyne is single band, the ADS600-B would have given me the same capability for less.  Sorry for the curmudgeon attitude, but hopefully you can use this as background info on customer feedback.
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 9:16pm
The IFD-540 is supposed to be a 100% compatible replacement for the GNS-530.  That means that it should display traffic from a GDL-88 which can use a 530 as the display.  Can you confirm that?  
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 9:42pm

The IFD-540 is supposed to be a 100% compatible replacement for the GNS-530.  That means that it should display traffic from a GDL-88 which can use a 530 as the display.  Can you confirm that?  

Well, strictly speaking, it is compatible with a v4 GNS. It can't be compatible with features that were added after its development was frozen.

Things might be added in future, but ADS-B is a particular issue when it comes to Garmin, they have implemented a proprietary data stream and won't share the construct with anyone.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 9:44pm
Right.  From the Pilot Guide, Install Manual and FAQs:

Plug and Play Details

The IFD is a “plug and play” replacement of the following equipment:

Garmin Product ID

Plug & Play Software Baseline

Comments

530W

530AW

4.01 (Main)

No HTAWS enablement.  This corresponds to Rev C of the 190-00357-08 Garmin Install Manual.

The following table represents the complete list of unsupported 530/530W functionality in the IFD:

Unsupported 530 Functionality

Comments

Manual entry of fuel flow

Fuel totalizer data and computed fuel at waypoints/destinations are only supported in installations that integrate a fuel flow system.  In no cases can you manually enter fuel flow in the IFD.

TAWS/HTAWS

TSO C-151b TAWS is a future capability.

Demo Mode

Demo mode is not supported on the IFD.  The accompanying IFD tablet training application should be used as the demo device.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 10:36pm
Respectfully, I believe that you need to listen to your customers about this.  I believe that a dual-band receive only ADS-B solution is what the majority of Avidyne IFD-540 owners will want and will wait for.  Word is getting out about the limitations of the single frequency receivers and given the high cost of installed ADS-B solutions I would expect that you will find limited market for them.  I would like to see you move getting a dual band receiver certified higher up on your priority list.

Thanks,
Jim

Edited by jblodgett - 23 Apr 2015 at 10:17am
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 7:38am
deleted

Edited by tony - 23 Apr 2015 at 7:43am
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 11:01am
Well, the good thing is that Avidyne is at Sun-n-Fun and will be able to look around.  It isn't hard to see where the market is heading in this area.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 9:23pm
My understanding from Avidyne's ADS-B material is that with a dual band ADS-B solution, you won't see non-ADS-B equipped aircraft via TIS-B or ADS-R when near a ground station (slides 18 and 19) from http://www.avidyne.com/publications/guides/ADS-B-Overview.pdf.  Unless you are in somebody else's non-dual puck, it's showing that you don't qualify for TIS-B or ADS-R, so how would you see non-ADS-B aircraft?  Is this up to date and correct?

How do they know if you have a dual in receiver?  If it's portable I'm sure it wouldn't matter, but if you have a certified unit, could you be required to somehow make that distinction via the installation instructions?

Edited by brou0040 - 23 Apr 2015 at 9:24pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 9:29pm

My understanding from Avidyne's ADS-B material is that with a dual band ADS-B solution, you won't see non-ADS-B equipped aircraft via TIS-B or ADS-R when near a ground station (slides 18 and 19) from http://www.avidyne.com/publications/guides/ADS-B-Overview.pdf.  Unless you are in somebody else's non-dual puck, it's showing that you don't qualify for TIS-B or ADS-R, so how would you see non-ADS-B aircraft?  Is this up to date and correct?

How do they know if you have a dual in receiver?  If it's portable I'm sure it wouldn't matter, but if you have a certified unit, could you be required to somehow make that distinction via the installation instructions?

I think I just answered my own question, I don't think the Avidyne material is correct, or I don't understand what they are trying to say.

From the FAA ADS-B FAQ
"The FAA ground system supports providing TIS-B and FIS-B services to these aircraft, and to any aircraft that may be equipped with dual-receive capability."
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 9:54pm
I think the slides are correct.  If an aircraft has dual-band ADS-B in the ground stations won't send ADS-R to it because it will receive all aircraft directly.  However they will send TIS-B, which is the information about aircraft which do not have ADS-B out.  So the aircraft will have all the known information about nearby traffic.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

I think the slides are correct.  If an aircraft has dual-band ADS-B in the ground stations won't send ADS-R to it because it will receive all aircraft directly.  However they will send TIS-B, which is the information about aircraft which do not have ADS-B out.  So the aircraft will have all the known information about nearby traffic.

Slide 19 says
"To be a TIS-B client an aircraft must: .... • ADS-B In on only one link"  This is what I think is wrong.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 11:15pm
OK, so TIS-B and ADS-R are different concepts. Wasn't clear on that before.

Now, if you are 1090 OUT and want to receive on 978, you list 978 IN only.

BUT, if you are 1090 OUT/IN (example AXP340 + upcoming TAS6xxA), then there appears to be no way to supply a portable in the cockpit, at least not from a portable 978 IN device. You'd need 1090 IN (or dual), or perhaps the IFD540 might serve as a traffic source on wifi then.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Apr 2015 at 11:16pm
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 6:41am

Slide 19 says
"To be a TIS-B client an aircraft must: .... • ADS-B In on only one link"  This is what I think is wrong.

I'd missed that.  I agree, that sounds wrong.  If you have ADS-B In on both frequencies the TIS-B will be sent to you on the UAT frequency.
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 9:58am
Boy, am I confused.  Currently I have an IFD540 and AXP340.  I also have a Stratus and an iPad.  The AXP340 is set up to indicate that I have 1090/978 in.  So if I get a MLB100 that means I won't receive ADS-B traffic from ground stations that originated from 1090 equipped aircraft because the ground station will assume I am receiving 1090 traffic directly?  So in that circumstance I should change the AXP340 configuration to indicate 978 in only.  That way the ground station will repeat on 978 all 1090 traffic as well as mode-C traffic so that it will be received on the MLB100.  978 traffic will be received directly by the MLB100.  Is that correct?  But that means the Stratus will receive both direct 1090 signals as well as 1090 signals repeated on 978 by the ground station.  Maybe that is not a problem and the Stratus can sort out the multiple returns?  Does all of this sound correct or am I missing something?
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 11:01am
I don't know anything about the stratus, but I'd hope that it can sort it out because if you left your setup as both in and anybody else is in your puck that is 978 in only, you'll have the same problem.
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 11:52pm
I don't think you are confused.  Your solution sounds correct to me.  If you have an MLB100 you set your ADS-B out to announce only 978 MHz in.  The Stratus will see multiple messages about some planes but it can deal wit that - as was pointed out it already needs to be able to deal with it.
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 5:46pm
This just landed on my inbox
Free MLB 100 if you buy IFD 540/AXP 340 in April.
I already have two IFD540s and AXP340 in my plane.
Do I get a free MLB 100?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 6:14pm
Me too!

I also have a TAS605A!!!

I want a free MLB....
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by sikhpilotmd sikhpilotmd wrote:

This just landed on my inbox
Free MLB 100 if you buy IFD 540/AXP 340 in April.

Did you buy them in April?

* Orest

Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:36pm
I did a factory direct pre buy on my first 540.
Bought the 540/340 package deal from Gulf Coast.
Does that qualify?

Not too excited about the MLB100 or the 340. The 1090out/978 in combo seems incomplete. In fact, I had put my 340 up for sale and am planning on getting the Sandia ADS-B in/out transponder instead. But, if Avidyne sends me an MLB100 then might stick with the 340 for now. Still waiting for my BT keyboards, but I guess that is timed with the 10.1 release.

Edited by Joe Jet - 28 Apr 2015 at 10:55pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 10:48pm
Does anybody have insight into how ADS-B and the military aircraft in MOAs or restricted areas will work?  What I think I'm understanding is that they are 1090.  Do they have a requirement to transmit while in the MOA's, I assume they are governed by a different set of regulations than GA.  If that's the case, that would seal the deal for me going dual in due to the high speed low level flights around here.
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 8:44am
No much earlier
I recently did the G 500 upgrade, see my pic in BT
I had the shop pre wire me for the MLB100
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 8:53am

Does anybody have insight into how ADS-B and the military aircraft in MOAs or restricted areas will work?  What I think I'm understanding is that they are 1090.  Do they have a requirement to transmit while in the MOA's, I assume they are governed by a different set of regulations than GA.  If that's the case, that would seal the deal for me going dual in due to the high speed low level flights around here.

Found this (several years old DoD paper) on the web.  I assume military planes use 1090 MHz.
I believe they are monitoring ADS-B signals currently.  Slow download pdf file.

Gary-T
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 11:56am
Not sure how much time delay this glitch introduces for the MLB100 Traffic display capability.

My 540 is in the shop for install next week.  Since my Comanche will not likely fly above 18,000 mL, I am now considering 980Mhz ADS-B Compliance (with current GTX330 instead of 1090 Mhz with AXP340) using instead, the Aspen ATX100(G).

Does anyone out there know if the Aspen ADS-B Transceivers will be play with Avidyne:
   . Synchronize with TAS605 (A) for combined Traffic on 540?
   . Display both Traffic & Wx on the 540? 

Thanks for any experience or advice.

Tom W. 

Edited by n7ifr - 02 May 2015 at 11:56am
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 12:06pm
Dave,

Sorry, it took me a while to get back to your response on approach plates...

I also have been using NACO plates on my Aspen MFD vs Jepp on MX20, and my only complaint has been that with Jepp plates activated, the plate will of course block any traffic & Wx viewed on the device.  I also like to see the NACO altitudes on each leg, but with the 540, on Map or FMS screens, this will nicely be displayed.

So, with your 540 I gather you do not find it distracting to view the plate in Chart mode, and lose the Map/FMS info (+ Wx/Traffic)... or have you figured a way to have Wx on your Aspen?

Thanks for your feedback.

Tom W.
KDVT 
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2015 at 1:56pm
I have two 540s so displaying plates on one and other things on the other is no biggie.

I also have an Aspen MFD which displays traffic-  Aspen claims their MFD is going to display other vendor's Capstone output for wx -

Quote from Beechtalk:

"Yes an Aspen MFD should work with an aftermarket ADS-B receiver that uses the Capstone protocol. It will require a MFD unlock, which is currently priced at $2,000, to connect the non-Aspen ADS-B receiver. 

George Pariza
Director of Product Marketing
Aspen Avionics"

--> Obviously they think a lot of their unlock card - at $2K it is $300 more than their announced price for their ARX-200, so clear that Aspen wants to sell you a box not a card.

I have an MLB100 on order.  Since I will have 1090 in on my TAS and I have ADS-B out from my AXP340, all I need is ADS-R which the MLB100 on 978 will give me.

David
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic