Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NavData on shipped units

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NavData on shipped units
    Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:30am
Just planning for the transition, with regard to data.

When I get my new IFD540, what if any current data will it have on it (or have availability for), that is navdata, obstacles, terrain, charts?

I might expect that you get one cycle for all the data included with the unit, but if so is it just US data? That is germane as I'm in Canada.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 25 Oct 2014 at 9:33am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:33am
I think you should expect all data to be loaded BUT out of date.

Terrain is a one-time load at the factory and doesn't have a notion of being out of date.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 1:41pm
Ah, so OK to fool around with on the ground, but obviously you have to update before you can fly it.

* Orest

jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 4:28am
The 'charts' data seems to be a single airport as in the iPad simulator. All of the data in my 540 was from July 24th
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 7:57pm
Right, part of the installation process is supposed to be updating to the current databases.  For those folks who don't have a Charts subscription, the data will be present forever but not current (and will therefore have a "Not For Navigation" watermark and won't allow a flight plan overlay.   But, no matter if current or from July, you *should* be able to get a complete set of charts, not just for a single airport.

Is anyone else seeing this single airport behavior?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Right, part of the installation process is supposed to be updating to the current databases.  For those folks who don't have a Charts subscription, the data will be present forever but not current (and will therefore have a "Not For Navigation" watermark and won't allow a flight plan overlay.   But, no matter if current or from July, you *should* be able to get a complete set of charts, not just for a single airport.

Please clarify the "won't allow a flight plan overlay" statement.  Are you saying that with an expired database a flight plan will not display on the IFD?
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 8:29pm
Yes. My pickup is now Wednesday.

Please advise..
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 8:29pm
That's correct.  Since we can no longer be certain that the approach chart has not changed, we are not able to overlay a flight plan depiction on the chart.  For example, if the FMS flight plan had a current series of approach waypoints but the chart was different, or had a different set of feeder fixes or approach geometry, we could have contradictory information depicted.  So, to prevent that, we had to remove the plan overlay on expired charts.  

The flight plan will still display on the moving map, just not as an overlay on a chart that is 60 days or more out of date.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 8:31pm
So it sounds as if at least two people are only seeing one airfield's worth of charts on their IFD540s.  This is the first I've heard of that so will need to investigate.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 8:46pm
Wait, I think I misunderstood.  Dr Gates, you were just looking for flight plan overlay clarification and not stating you only see one airfield worth of charts, right?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:55pm
Hi Steve:

My only concern is being able to flight plan going from PHX to TUS - your post sounded like couldn't do that - but you meant approaches only are locked out?

Thanks.
David Gates
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 2:41am
Mine came with Jepp plates for one airport, the same one that is in the iPad sim. No other airports are present. Think its T02?
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 9:02am
I tried bringing up charts for several different airports on the iPad sim (US), and I was able to pull up all of them.  I don't have the "rest of world" sim to try it there.
ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 11:27am
To try to clarify, the expired Jepp approach plates will not overlay the aircraft on them. That is just for the approach plates, that doesn't impact the map display and FMS functionality of the box for your trip planning and loading of approaches etc. I have the 540 and am not using Jepp charts because Foreflight. So, I have an old set of charts on my IFD but no geosync of the aircraft/flt plan on those charts. Of course my flight plan shows on the map display etc though...

jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 5:24am
Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

Mine came with Jepp plates for one airport, the same one that is in the iPad sim. No other airports are present. Think its T02?

I have to correct myself here, on further inspection my unit seemed to include Jepp charts for all US airports. Pretty useless still here in Europe :)
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 9:10am
Yes, that would be pretty useless.    I will meet with our production folks to see if it's easy to load Worldwide charts instead of US charts from here on out.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 8:42am

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Yes, that would be pretty useless.    I will meet with our production folks to see if it's easy to load Worldwide charts instead of US charts from here on out.

Same situation on my unit. Where can I get the European charts?

Thanks

Klaus

Klaus
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 9:09am
Originally posted by KIM KIM wrote:

Same situation on my unit. Where can I get the European charts?

Thanks

Klaus

All navdata, obstacles and chart data is by subscription from Jeppesen. You can't get it online, you have to call.

Description here:

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Apr 2015 at 9:16am
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 9:37am
Klaus,

You can try the Frankfurt tel number indicated by the site link provided by Orest. Forget the web site, as indicated previously in this chain and another on the subject.

If you don't get any satisfaction from the Frankfurt office, try this fellow. He solved all my issues promptly and apologetically and definitely knows how to push the right buttons. I had access to the Navdata for download via JdmApp within an hour after receiving his email confirming my order.
ph: 441293 842469 | fax: 44 1293 842443 | charles.webster@jeppesen.com
Jeppesen U.K. Limited | Boeing House, Crawley Business Quarter, Manor Royal | Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9AD, U.K.
Registered in England: 1321734 | VAT No: GB 339870027
www.jeppesen.com

When I tried to get my Navdata last November, Frankfurt didn't know what an IFD540 was let alone be able to support it. That should have been fixed by now because Charles told me that training was in progress at that time.

I only got the Navdata. Chart pricing for Europe is for jet drivers up in the stratosphere way beyond my means (I fly a lowly C172). However, my understanding is that there is no additional charge for corresponding charts on the IFD540 if you already have them on a Jepp FlightDeck subscription. It counts as one of the total devices (e.g. ipad,pc,IFD540) per subscription. I think the max count is 3. But as mentioned, I didn't get the charts.

Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic